Brilliant holiday

Reviewed Thu 2nd of July 2009

"When we arrived at the Hotel in the middle of the night we were met by a security guard who drove us up to our apartment.
When we woke up in the morning we had a beautiful view of the pool/sea.
weather was fantastic all week.
Staff at the hotel were very friendly and happy to help spoke good english.

Location of the hotel is ok not great bit out of the way of shops. The shopping centre near hotel is rubbish best off paying for a taxi to the centre in playa de ingles.

Nightlife none existant.

Would recommend hotel to anyone looking for a quiet relaxed holiday.

Would definatley go back.

• Travel date: Wed 1st of July 2009

We have just come back today! I was with...

Reviewed Tue 2nd of September 2008

"We have just come back today! I was with my sons who are 14 AND 9. First time in Gran Canaria and we had a brilliant time. We did so much and enjoyed everyminute. Our bungalow, very moderatly laid out, but as it was self catering there was not much to cook with, no kettle!! Good job i go on holiday to eat out. the pool was ok but not very clean, but to be honest if you'd been out for the day and wanted a quick dip before getting ready and going out again, you would give it a miss, the long treck back would completely put you off, that is if you were unfortunate enough (like us) to get the top bungalow. It was a very steep hill to walk up and then a further 62 steps to climb!!!! Then there were the cockroaches!! i complained 3 times and as far as i was aware nothing was done. Our rep informed us to knock them onto their backs and they die, but i'm sorry we did not want to touch them....and we brushed them over the balcony with the broom!!! Please don't think that by closing all the windows it stops them getting in...because the little blighters get in some way!! We would definately go back to Gran Canaria but perhaps a livelier part, even though San Agustin was beautiful it was very quiet and you were limited for places to eat. The taxes and buses were very cheap and reliable. Look out for a Gran Canaria super market too, as the local one's do not have much in variety and can be quite expensive. so overall a smashing holiday but the cockroaches spoilt it!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of September 2008

Just returned from a weeks stay here and...

Reviewed Tue 1st of July 2008

"Just returned from a weeks stay here and loved it ! There were 3 adults and our 2 children ( 5 & 8 ).

The bungalows were set up in the hills and we did have to climb some steps to get to it but it wasn't too much of a major problem, and we did have some spectacular views.
The accommodation was basic enough and could do with updating but it was comfortable and very clean.

The staff were very friendly and very helpful, and all spoke English.

There was no night life in the area and we travelled to Playa del Ingles every night for dinner and drinks, but it was only 5 minutes away in a taxi (the taxi rank was allocated outside the reception) and only cost 4 euro each way.

The tours are a complete rip off I would not recommend booking these at all, we found it much cheaper and enjoyable to travel by bus or taxi.

If you are looking for somewhere that's quiet for kids and relaxing then this is the place for you.

We enjoyed our stay immensely and would recommend it to anyone.

• Travel date: Tue 1st of July 2008

My husband and I have just spent a very...

Reviewed Mon 30th of June 2008

"My husband and I have just spent a very relaxing two week holiday at Rocas Rojas. Our bungalow was definitely in need of a refurb to bring it up from the 60's to the 08's but it was clean and served the purpose.

The lounge area was very small and we are contesting the £113 we were charged for under occupancy, there was definitely no room for a third bed. The kitchen was well equipped if you didn't want to cook anything but because we were at the top of the hill once we'd shopped and swum for the day we weren't coming down again. So we had to think about cooking facilities and equipment before we bought food. We found buying food quite expensive.

We did have one, short lived, cockroach in the bathroom.

The balcony was lovely with a beautifull view over the sea and we spent all our waking time on the balcony, despite the road down below it was so peaceful. We thought there was only one restaurant (Loopys) in close proximity which we found a little pricey for tinned vegetables and packet sauce on our steaks but once we ventured down to the waterfront we found a lovely walkway and a few more restaurants.

The pool area closest to our bungalow, one of 3, is the best I have ever had the pleasure of using. A lovely, clean, warm pool set in beautifully maintained and quiet gardens. On a busy day there were about 30 people around it but they would be either Italians, Germans, Spanish or Scandinavians, English definitely a minority. Altogether a really relaxing holiday, if you want the nightlife stick to Playa del Ingles. "

• Travel date: Mon 30th of June 2008

i went here and loved it. Its a quiet pl...

Reviewed Fri 23rd of May 2008

"i went here and loved it. Its a quiet place where you can relax big time and the weather is awesome, as i said its very quiet and you can relax big time. But if you want livening up you can get a taxi for next to nothing to the jumbo centre for an amazing night out, just dont let the gay thing put you off, fantastic resort, my perfect holiday.

I would definetily reccomend rocas rojas if you want to relax in great sunshine and party at night, lots ot germans here though"

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of May 2008

I have recently returned from a holiday...

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2007

"I have recently returned from a holiday at the Rocas Rojas bungalows in San Augustin. The bungalows were very basic and in dire need of refurb. We had a huge tree outside our bungalow which meant we couldn't get any sun into our terrace.

The terrace was swarming with ants in the daytime and many a cockroach was seen there at night. We also had 3 cockroaches in our accommodation during our 2 week stay.

The place was full of older people and not very friendly. The pool was good and we had it to ourselves most of the time, but it was a nightmare trying to get a sunlounger as people were claiming them by leaving towels on them even when they were away doing other things.

San Augustin had nothing to offer myself or my 3 teenage daughters and we spent our whole holiday taking taxi's to the very lively Playa Del Ingles.

The rep trips are a rip off. 2 of my teenage daughters were under 18 yet charged adult prices for trips where they say all food and drink is included. I feel that no child can drink 50 Euros worth of coke and unless you drink wine or beer, then it’s a very expensive night out.

I will definitely return to Gran Canaria, but NOT to San Augustin, neither would I recommend the Rocas Rojas apartments!!"

• Travel date: Wed 24th of October 2007

Stayed here end July with my boyfriend....

Reviewed Mon 10th of September 2007

"Stayed here end July with my boyfriend. Had a great holiday, although extremely hot. There was a pool near our bungalow but was very cold. It was a really quiet resort, it was basic enough but it did the job.

Great scenery from the balcony. The only problem we found was the walk up to the bungalow as it was on very hilly ground. Beside where we were staying there was a great resort called Playa del Ingle which we got a bus to and a taxi back. Great beach, shops and nightlife. Staff was quite pleasant. Would recommend and would go back.

• Travel date: Mon 10th of September 2007

I thought it was great here. Very quiet...

Reviewed Tue 6th of March 2007

"I thought it was great here. Very quiet resort but only minutes away from the Yumbo centre, a great shopping centre with great night life.

I spent all day lounging round the pool with my San Miguel and got a taxi out at night time, happy days.

There is a restaurant next to the hotel and also a shop.

San Austin does attract lots of Germans.

As the accommodation is spread out, there can be a bit of walking to do and it’s quite hilly.

Would definitely go again though, a great place to relax and enjoy."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of March 2007

Just returned from Rocas Rojas bungalows...

Reviewed Tue 27th of June 2006

"Just returned from Rocas Rojas bungalows in Gran Caneria after spending 2 weeks there with our 3 kids aged 12 (2 x) and 5. The accommodation was basic but ok, ready for upgrading in the bathroom. The resort of San Augustin is full of pensioners and very, very quiet. We ended up hiring a car and going up to the much livelier resort of playa de ingles in the day and also at night.

The weather believe this or not was so much better there (5 mins up the road), San Augustin was hot without much sun? I know we can’t understand it either. Not many places to eat in San Augustin and a tacky little shopping centre didn’t have much to offer but Ingles had everything you needed with loads of great places to eat at very good prices but watch out as they charge loads for the drinks which I suppose is how they keep the meal prices down.

We had the pool (one of 4) at Rocas Rojas to ourselves for the first 3 days which was nice, lots of Germans seem to stay there not many brits were heard at all the whole 2 weeks. It is also very steep with lots of steps. We personally wouldn’t go again as it was very quiet, too quiet for us but a nice enough place and good value for money.

The staff at the hotel were great, we had a blocked sink and was mended within 10 mins of reporting it, watch out for the Anfi sales people who have little stands on the street, it is timeshare, don’t do it, Palmitos Park was a nice day out and the kids enjoyed riding on the camels ( I didn’t) but don’t book Camel Capers through you rep as they charge 100 euros for a family of 4 and if you do it yourself it costs 32 euros!"

• Travel date: Tue 27th of June 2006

Hotels near Hotel Rocas Rojas

Top traveller tips for Hotel Rocas Rojas

• J Millward by J Millward

"favourite restaurant was down the beach about 20 mins walk away from hotel "

Hotel Rocas Rojas is also called