About Don Gregory by Dunas

• adult pool

Not a pleasant trip,

Reviewed Mon 25th of June 2012

"Recently, I have spent my holidays in this hotel with my family and I would not advise it in any way.
The majority of guests had at least 65 years old so everyone can imagine how "incredible" and "youthful" was the atmosphere. In fact, to be fair, there was no social atmosphere at all, by 10 pm the outdoor pub was desert!! OMG there wasn´t a soul to be seen. Moreover, the hotel is full of stairs (to go to the bedroom, to the beach and even to the bathroom) and without a mere platform for physically handicapped person. The facilities are obviously outdated and not adequately fitted for its public. For instance, to gain acces to the bathroom from the swimming pool, you have to take steep stairs with the danger that everyone can easily slip and get damaged. I personally had some touble with that matter as the stairs tend to be wet and there is no non-slippery material. The kind of food is average quality buffet. It is very very repetitive with the same kind of high-sugary deserts for example which gets tiring after a few days, not to mention after a whole week. Lunchtime as well as dinnertime is really limited, with just one hour and a half to eat but with the additional inconvenience that the waiters started cleaning up half an hour before the closing time!!. I hated the fact of being pressured to finish my dishes and not being able to speak calmly with my family. The bedroom was very simple, not what is expectable from a four stars hotel though.

The only thing I can highlight is the location as the beach is just in front of the hotel. Nevertheless, don´t expect a caribbean beach, the beach is small, with a lot of seaweed and the sand is quite dark. The "surrounding area" is just one street full of polish and german restaurants. It was very rude one day while I was with my family trying to look for proper Spanish food and one restaurant refused to serve us because the menu was only for german speaking people. In a nutshell, a hotel not to return to. And obviously not to recommend to."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of June 2012

I booked this hotel last minute through...

Reviewed Tue 29th of August 2006

"I booked this hotel last minute through Comfort Abroad. They gave me all the details on the hotel and booked everything for me. Everything was all in order when I reached the hotel at 3:30am.

The reception staff where very helpful even at 3:30 in the morning and throughout my stay.

The room was large and had a fantastic sea view which I asked for when booking with Comfort Abroad.

Being in the hospitality trade myself I found the food was of an extremely high standard and throughout the week nothing was repeated on the menu. The restaurant staff where also extremely helpful.

The location of this hotel was brilliant. Only a 30 minute walk to the centre where you will find all the night life. Right on the beach.

The pool area was good with enough sun beds for all, the pool side attendant was himself very attentive and would fetch your bed mats and towels for you.

This hotel was mainly for German and Dutch but even so my daughter and I had a great stay and would recommend both this hotel and booking through Comfort Abroad again."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of August 2006

Wonderful location. Nice hotel

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"We stayed at the Don Gregory over Christmas and we were very impressed with the standard of the hotel. It is in a great location right on the beach at San Agustin with a shopping center behind the hotel. We did have a ground floor room with a garden view but found it handy as we were steps away from the pool and the beach. It was clean and nicely furnished.
Christmas was a very nice time to stay at this hotel as they really made us very welcome, lots of little extras such as champagne at breakfast, a gala Xmas dinner and the hotel even gave all guests a gift of 2 bottles of wine in their rooms. Even the maids left us chocolates.There was entertainment most evenings such as dance shows or a singer.
The food was enjoyable and varied with an extensive buffet and choice of fresh grilled meats and fish every day.
The pool area was very nice with plenty of sunbeds and a lovely pool bar/cafe.
The hotel does mainly cater for Germans but we thought it was nice to get away from the typical package holiday crowd. It is very easy to book this hotel over the internet."

• Travel date: Sat 14th of January 2006

Lovely hotel

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"Stayed at the Don Gregory hotel which was beautiful. Very well run, clean, excellent food. No problem getting a sun bed.Lovely beach down a few steps from the sun deck. The only problem was the lack of other english speaking guests. The hotel is mainly used by Germans, Spanish, French and Italians. It is a taxi ride(very cheap) to find some night life. There are lots of different centers. The Irish center (lively,friendly), the Yumbo (VERY gay so not for the easily offended, but excellent drag shows, especially Ricky's bar),Gran Chaperall(various pubs, some with entertainment) Kasbar (again lots of different pubs. Lots of youngsters but all well behaved when we were there. Trying to find company wasn't easy. we are a couple in our 40's. The island is very multicultural and alot is geared to the Germans. Better to go as a group I would think."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of August 2004