Rio Piedras Apartments

Calle el Ancla 2, 35130 Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria Spain

perfect!

Reviewed Tue 21st of December 2010

"This is a fanastic hotel with huge rooms, its tear to everything, the staff is great, espesiallt those in the restaurant and its defenatly the most beautiful hotel in the area. "

• Travel date: Tue 14th of December 2010

RIO PIEDRAS - FANTASTIC

Reviewed Mon 17th of November 2008

"My hubby and two sons (15 and 12) visited these apartments in August 2008.

I would not hesitate to recommend them to others. We were on the 5th floor and had the biggest balcony I have ever seen.

If you dont want to cook on holiday you cannot fault these apartments as there is a restaurant/snack bar near the pool.

You also could not be better placed for the many bars/restaurants in Puerto Rico.

Fantastic - only downside we only went for a week and they couldnt fit accommodate us for longer when we asked!"

• Travel date: Mon 17th of November 2008

This was our first holiday abroad so we...

Reviewed Sat 1st of March 2008

"This was our first holiday abroad so we had nothing to compare it with. Since we returned & have spoken to others, we feel we paid too much for the very basic accommodation at the Rio Piedras Apartments. It is run by a very friendly Spanish family who are eager to please & keep the place spotless. But the rooms really need updating. It was like stepping back in time to the 1970's. The bedspreads & curtains are chocolate brown & not very inviting in a hot country. The chairs in the living area are very uncomfortable, we ended up pilling all the cushions up to make it bearable. The oven in our apartment didn't work & the rings took so long to heat up it took 1/2 hr to boil an egg. Our room (#101) Is the only one on the ground floor which has a lovely view (NOT) of the road, this can be quite noisy & the diesel fumes get a bit much. On the plus side the pool & restaurant terrace on the roof is beautiful. We spent 2 whole days sunbathing up there, ordering lunch from the restaurant & falling in the pool to cool off. When you look over the balcony from the roof you realise that it is pot luck on the size of balcony you get. Some of them are huge, but others are not. When we checked in the couple in front of us said "we hope we have a large balcony" & the receptionist said "all rooms are full, so no change" Now we are home I think I should have complained & demanded to be moved, I am sure they could have done it as people were checking in & out all week. But we didn't know any different at the time. The only entertainment is Carlos on his Organ. If you like Peurto Rico, then this is great as a base, but if you like staying in the hotel you may get a bit bored. The Restaurant is really nice. We had a lovely Pizza there one night & the Canarian potatoes with MoJo sauce are delicious. I am sure the food is great if you are a meat eater. We are both vegetarian & found it very hard to find something to eat in the whole resort. On the last day we had a look in “Mrs Morrison’s” an English shop & found a freezer full of Veggie food, but as the cooker didn’t work, it would have been much good anyway.

Peurto Rico is a purpose built resort, so if you are looking for a bit of Spanish culture & charm you won’t find it here. It is very built up & commercialised. Everyone raves about the “Centre” but they are just a lot of shabby shops selling shoddy goods & a they all seem to buy from the same supplier! If want a beer, burger & loud music night out then at night I am sure you will love it.

You can walk along the cliff path to Amadores which is a prettier & quieter beach. Both beaches are very clean & they work hard to keep it that way. We took a boat trip to Mogan, for the market on Friday, which is a very pretty port & much more “Spanish”

We did have a good holiday, but we won't be going back to the Rio Piedras Apartments or Peurto Rico.

• Travel date: Sat 1st of March 2008

This hotel was lovely inside but from th...

Reviewed Sat 12th of January 2008

"This hotel was lovely inside but from the outside looked a bit like Alcatraz! It was a sea of white concrete built up a mountain side that was not very appealing to the eye.

If you looked past this though, the hotel itself was very good. It is close to the beach and to the centre, with great views of the sea.

The rooms were basic, 2 beds and a kitchenette area and a bathroom. Not much room and not much luxury but comfortable. The balcony was the best bit really.

We had a really good view and our baby was only 6 months old so we spent most of the afternoon on the balcony whilst she had a nap.

The pool was nice, and the restaurant and bar were good. We enjoyed dining out in the centre. The hotel was a good price for what you got."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of January 2008

The representative was so helpful, and d...

Reviewed Tue 14th of November 2006

"The representative was so helpful, and did her best to make sure we saw all there was to see. We were warned about cockroaches before we went, we didn’t see a single one during our stay.

The apartments were better than we expected as it was allocation on arrival. The food in the restaurant above the apartments was excellent, as was the service (and the lollipops they insisted on giving me).

There was one thing that annoyed me though, everything was with chips, for example, El Pirata on the beach serves ‘spaghetty bolognaise’ and chips, that was their spelling not mine, yet again great food and service (waiters as well, yummy), another I would recommend is Popeyes near the Marina Hotel, they cant do enough for you!

For a perfect Guinness go to the Irish bar called Flanagan’s Apple, or Finnigans, I can’t remember, although it was 2 euros a half it was worth it. Another great bar was harbour lights and they do quizzes every night at 10 pm, a great laugh and everyone joins in.

Don’t forget your high factor sun screen though, I got burnt in my first 2 hours there and sadly didn’t get the tan I wanted.

• Travel date: Tue 14th of November 2006

We loved it here! The Rio Piedras is by...

Reviewed Sat 16th of September 2006

"We loved it here! The Rio Piedras is by far one of the best apartments to stay at in Gran Canaria. It is close to all local amenities and the views from the rooms are fantastic. Unlike many of the other apartments it is not right up a hill!

I had stayed here roughly 8 years before with my parents and had just as good a time then.

The apartments are clean, equipped with everything needed for a self-catering holiday and the staff are friendly and helpful. Only down side (if you could call it that) is that the swimming pool was a little small so I could imagine in the height of season it could get a little crowed but it was adequate for our needs.

Puerto Rico is the only place I would ever stay in Gran Canaria, it has a beautiful harbour and beach, along with numerous restaurants and bars. I would recommend eating in the restaurants on the beach rather than in the shopping centre because both my partner and I found it far too hot in the centre and it was difficult to enjoy your meal. Also it is well worth the extra walk to use the beach at Amadores which is round the coast from Puerto Rico - less crowded and stunning views.

• Travel date: Sat 16th of September 2006

Hotels near Rio Piedras Apartments

Stayed at Rio Piedras Apartments? Share your insight.

Rio Piedras Apartments is also called