Marina Suites

Calle Juan Diaz Rodriguez 10, 35130 Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria Spain

Good Hotel

Good

"Having stayed here before I was looking forward to going back to the Marina Suites, its ideal for less able people like myself to get around Puerto Rico as its all flat, no huge hills to navigate up and down. I have read the other reviewers thoughts and can agree with some, like; there is no entertainment at night in this hotel. Some nutters get up at 7am in the morning to go book there place at the poolside, we went end of Sept and wandered down to pool at 10am and always managed to get a lounger however if you want a parasol or cabana get in quick. I always found the staff polite. I was SC this visit so did'nt try dinner buffet but did go to breakfast buffet and there was plenty to choose from. The T.V is mostly spanish and german channels although there is sky news, cnn and cnbc. Local shop is very close by (5min walk) so if you don't want to pay bar prices for water, beer etc go there, there are also a great selection of bars (Wigwam, Flanagans Apple) close by and a lovely restaurant called The Red Rose which has fab food. The main shopping centre is about 25min walk (for less able) and has a wide selection of shops, bars and restaurants. The beach is about 5mins away from hotel too. All in all, I would go back to the Marina Suites, they have a few things they could work on but all in all its a good, clean above average hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of October 2006

loved the view thats it

"Our second visit to Marina Suites and what a change from last year. We found the staff to be so caught up in their own self importance and we as guests seemed to be nothing but a nuiscance apart from Eddie and partner at the pool who were the only redeeming members of staff with their open friendliness. This accomadation offers a peaceful relaxing holiday but close enough to all the nightlife you could want. The views and pool area are truely beautiful that is if you can manage to get a sunbed without triping over everyone else in the process. I would not recommend this hotel for families with small children as all the furniture although modern is angled and everywhere I looked seemed to be an accident waiting to happen. This place only seemed to suit young couples not wanting to be disturbed or making demands on staff. Our apartment floor had not been cleaned upon arrival and the food was mediocre. I truely think the hotel group on the whole has lost the concept of customer service and was rude on several occassions to guests. When we approached our Rep he had run out of complaint forms..need I say more"

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of October 2006

Lovely Hotel - shame about the staff and service

"We stayed for a week, my family stayed for a fortnight.

High points:
Beautiful apartments
Beautiful swimming pool (shortage of sunbeds need to queue at 8am in morning to make sure to get a bed together)
Picturesque surroundings
Close to amenities

Low points:
Staff whose attitude boardered on being down right rude and condescending. Completely unhelpful and not interested in any problems you may have.
We were flying out at 7.30pm. Check out was at 12pm. We asked the night before re being able to remain in our rooms a little longer. Were told that this may not be possible, but that there was a shower room available which we could use to freshen up before departure. Checked again the following morning - only to be told that this room was fully booked and that there was nothing that they could do re providing us with a room to clean up in.
Room was not cleaned on one occasion and towels were not provided on another - no apology offered.
Trying to procure an iron was like asking for a "steak at a vegan conference" - we waited for over an hour one night despite being told that it would be here in 10 mins.
"Do not disturb" signs must mean something else in GC as many times the cleaners decided to waltz in without so much as a by your leave.
"Happy hour" - slightly less depressed hour as only applicable to the draft beer which is not great by any standards
1.80 for a small bottle of water at the pool

- Really such a shame as if they could get these issues sorted out it would be a spectacular place to stay - as the head of reception confirmed to me on complaint re no wash up facilities - the management only care about the cash and selling of rooms - customer service or satisfaction are merely subsidiary."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of September 2006

Lovely view

"Stayed in the Marina Suites lovely clean hotel with views out to sea or over the marina. Have already booked another stay there. Not far from all entertainment but not to close so that you get disturbed at night. Shops are very handy as are some other places to eat. This hotel is not on any postcards as it is not yet two years old."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of September 2006

fight for sunbeds!

Good

"The marina suites are well above the usual travel agent accommodation . We were pleasantly shocked when we first saw our room. It was huge and very well equiped. I didnt find the staff that friendly however but they are pleasant to deal with . The hotel certainly lacked an atmosphere, however my main problem was with the lack of sunbeds. On our first morning(due to arriving at 5am) we did not venture down to the pool until the un-godly hour of 10.30AM! We were shocked to see that there wasnt one sunbed left. The MAJORITY of them were vacant but had the blue hotel towels covering them. The rest were occupied by parents who had also reserved the three to four sunbeds next to them for the children. (might i add, who spent most of the day diving and bombing into the pool) We, and at least another 3 couples had to turn around and head to the nearby beach. We soon learned that you have to start queing from 7.30 onwards by the pool door which opens at 8.00. Then you proceed to run for ypur life to grab a sunbed that the sun hits before midday! M y main reason for being so dis-gruntled by this is that it clearly states in the hotel's bedroom brochure that reserving sunbeds before ten is strictly not allowed and will not be tolerated. Many couples get caught by this on their first few days having read the brochure so be warned! And BE PREPARED for early rises during your stay! When will places like this just number their sunbeds and when you arrive you get your sunbed number corresponding to your room and they are then your sunbeds for your stay! everyones happy and you get to sleep in beyond 7.15!"

• Travel date: Thu 17th of August 2006

marina suites

Good

"my family and i have just returned from the marina suites. we had a really good holiday,got to the hotel at 1pm and had to wait an hour for our room as it was not ready, when arriving at the room found it to be rather dirty. the kitchen are was not fully equipped eg no oven only a hob and microwave.

we saw eddie the entertainar very little as he was off ill alot of the time.

on a more positive note the view from our room was excellent.the food buffet style was outstanding although the breakfasts were rather dull and cold. the staff were very friendly especially in the restaraunt..

would recommend in the nearby bar wigwams very nice staff.

the trip we went on was a trip to remember if you get chance do it it was called the big cat and you can book this at the marina.

would defnitley go back had a fab holiday and the weather was the best eva!"

• Travel date: Sat 5th of August 2006

Marina Suites 5 *

"This was my second visit to Gran Canaria and with regards to accommodation the best by a country mile. On arrival I knew we had really found ourselves a great deal.

The hotel was of a very high standard throughout. We were self catering as we have tried all inclusive in the past and did not enjoy it. The rooms/appartments were really spacious for a couple and very modern with their decor. My wife noticed that they had actually used IKEA for some of their furnishings.

The rooms were cleaned daily to a high standard, towels were replaced with fresh ones every day. We were on the second floor and our view overlooked the pool and sea. The hotel staff throughout were very professional and polite.

Although there were plenty of sunbeds you really had to be up bright to ensure you got a decent bed as some beds are situated in positions that dont get sunlight until 10:30-11:30. On departure day you have to be out the rooms for 12noon. The hotel provided a room for us to get washed and changed, however this was only for 15 minutes which is quite unreasonable. That was my only gripe with the hotel, however I expect to return in the future.

The hotel did not provide evening entertainment, however the Puerto Rico centre is only about a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

I would recommened a trip to Puerto de Mogan for the day. My wife and I really enjoyed it. There is a fantastic restaurant that we tried called Que Tal. It was very retro and classy with excellent presentation in relation to food and service. I wanted to return to Mogan just for the restaurant itself.

You must also try out the restaurant Oscars. Quite a bit more expensive than any other place in town thought the food surroundings is a class above the rest. Guests are treated to some live spanish style musice played by local canarians.

After tring out Puerto Rico's Aqua Park I thought it would be nice to visit Mas Palomas Park called Aqua Land. I have to say I was impressed with their rides however on a hot sunny day you don't want to be waiting around for 30 minutes at a time to try one ride. I would recommened sticking with Puerto Rico's Aqua park as it too has great rides without the queues.

We had a lovely stay at the Marina Suites and would recommened it to families couples."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of July 2006

Your in for a treat at the marina suites!

"My wife & I arrived at the Marina Suites on Saturday the 27th may 2006. Right from the start we knew it was going to be a wonderful holiday. The staff were so friendly and efficient. Even the uniforms were lovely! The set up is to give the impression of being on a cruise ship, and it work! The staff uniforms are very nautical in style.

The accomadation is first class. Our suite was on the eighth floor, with a magnificent view over the marina and the sea beyond. The sunsets from this side of the hotel were brilliant.The balcony is very spacious,with plenty of room for up to six people to sit have a glass of wine and enjoy the view,(if you had six seats!)

We were half board, the first time we've ever done this as my wife is a very fussy & plain food eater! We needn't have worried. The menu was wide and varied,with something for eveyone. Even when the meat had a dressing or sauce on that my wife didn't like, the waiting staff were only delighted to check if the chef could do some without the sauce, which on most occaisions he did. Myself, I ate like a King!! I had food I'd never tasted before! And enjoyed it! The breakfast is served out by the pool bar and was very good and varied.

The pool area was unbelievable, the pool itself is whats called an infinity pool,it gives the impression of going right into the sea. The life guard is on duty from 9 am to 6 pm every day. Absolutly no problems with sun beds. Always some availible at any time of the day. And because of the position of the hotel by the sea, shade is at a minimum. Day time activities included water arobics, darts table tennis & twice a week a free scuba diving lesson in the pool.There are also two jacuzzies in the garden area.

The pool bar is very nice with a happy hour every dat at 4:30pm, with all locally produced drinks two for one.
Not a lot of evening entertainment, in fact only one proper night on saturday.

Overall I would give the Marina Suites a big 10/10. And I would have no hesitation in recomending this hotel to all travellers, both couples & families

Phillip OBrien Gleeson"

• Travel date: Mon 26th of June 2006

Great hotel but not 4 star

"This is my second visit to the Marina Suites so you can imagine I did like it the first time round. As the reviews state the hotel has wonderful views from all angles whether facing the pool or the marina, it is quite spectacular.

The downside for me on this stay is very minor but having stayed at many other 4 star plus hotels like Four Seasons Hotel Group in Cyprus it is the first time that the staff did not replenish the shampoo and body wash nor did they provide body lotion etc. They also stated in the booklet that you could only be given 3 toilet rolls and if you required more you had to ask for them instead of when the room is being cleaned each day that they check them.

The security for left luggage was also poor - I was handed a key and told to put my luggage in a room where anyone could use the key - there was no concierge to handle the luggage. It was a concern especially when anyone could tamper with your bags prior to going to the airport.

The pool area is very cramped and there is no room to turn sunbeds round if you wanted to as they are nearly touching each other and with steps up to the next level there is no room whatsoever to move. When the pool area is empty the area and the view is quite spectacular - shame there was no room to move.

Of course I would still return as the location is very good and the rooms are very nice."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of June 2006

Fab Hotel!!!

"Just returned from a weeks stay at the marina suites, absolutley Fab!!! would recommend it to anyone. Within easy walking distance to the beach and the local shops....Would reccommend going Half board as the food is great...Rooms were very large, clean and spacious. All the staff were very friendly and were always happy to help.

Would also recommend the excursions; Afrikat- 5 hour Yacht Trip, Camel safari, trip to 'little venice'(mogan) and dolphin trip. Had a brilliant time and will definately return!!! The commercial Centre is worth a trip if only to barter for cheap perfume and tobacco!!!

The hotel is very worthy of the 4 stars"

• Travel date: Mon 29th of May 2006

Great hotel & Staff

"we have stayed at the Marina Suits with our friends booking two rooms together for 3 times a year for the past 5 years as I have problems walking up hills & steps so the Marina is ideal for me down on the flat no issues with the sun beds always managed to find 4 together we have eaten in the resturant but prefer to eat out the rooms are nice & clean we allways reqest the marina side much better view you can see all around the bay we were there in Jan & are booked again 2 weeks in May & two weeks in Sep we have found the staff to be most helpfull we have stayed in other hotels in Puerto Rico over the years
returning 15 times in 5 years must tell you somthing "

• Travel date: Thu 17th of February 2011

Amazing holiday

"Me and my boyfriend visited the Marina suites for a 7night holiday. The apartments were in a grat location on the marina so no hassle from anyone. The rooms were Really clean and tidy with air conditioning. The maids came everyday even on a sunday. pool area was very clean, food at the pool bar was really nice too. activities were on throughout the day e.g aqua fit and cocktail games. The pool was very relaxing as it was mainly all adults. The view around the pool was amazing. looking out 2 the sea. nightlife in puerto rico comercial center was very lively wit loads of bars and resturants, nightlife nearer to the hotel was a lot quieter. Oscars resturant was REALLY nice was mega busy so had to book a table,its a bit more pricey then in the main commercial center but was the best meal of the holiday and deffo worth paying a bit extra! "

• Travel date: Mon 7th of December 2009

Hotels near Marina Suites

Stayed at Marina Suites? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Marina Suites

• ringwood by ringwood

"grand palace greek restaurant on harbour lights "

• sarafailey by sarafailey

"Oscars resturant is amazing "

• king fish by king fish

"great place for couples & older people "

Marina Suites is also called