Malibu Apartments

Avenida Roque del Este 22, 35130 Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria Spain

Fantastic!

"My fiance and I stayed at the Malibu apartments in Puerto Rico in April and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. At the top of a hill these apartments provide a beautiful view and scenic walking route down to the town centre and beach.

These apartments were big and clean and despite reviews of theft in the past we never had any problems with security and safety during our stay. We can't say much about the swimming pool area as we never went in the pool or spent time there, but those who did seemed to enjoy it.

We did not spend too much time in the apartments during the day. The dolphin trip that we went on was fantastic. We got some brilliant photos of the dolphins as they were so close to the boat and jumping out of the water! A once in a lifetime experience.

I would also recommend the Chinease restaurante by the harbour - lovely. If you are going to Mas Palomas to see the Dunas go early to find them. We left it too late and had to head back to the resort and never got to see them. The beach is also lovely.

Would recommend these apartments to anyone, however families with small children or elderly people may require taxis up and down the hill.

We will be going back again some day soon!"

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of May 2007

Worst Accommodation Ever

"The Malibu apartments in Puerto Rico are the worst apartments I have ever stayed in. We arrived in our room to find cracked floor tiles, dirty sheets, an unfortunate brown stain that covered one of the bedroom curtains and cockroaches.

There was no air conditioning and no fans left available to rent which made the rooms unbearably hot.

It's located at the top of the hill and while this is easy enough to walk down I didn't attempt the walk up as the taxis were cheap and plentiful.

I did not enjoy my stay at these apertments, I found the staff quite rude as they didn't seem to understand why we had problems withe the dirt and the cracked floor tiles and would definitley not go back.

However, if like us you found Puert Rico to be too brash and too like Blackpool take the boat to Puerto de Mogan (there is a market once a week but this is well worth a visit on any other day) as this is an absolutely beautiful little resort"

• Travel date: Sun 20th of May 2007

Great holiday.

Good

"Me and my fiancee and 2 boys have just returned from the malibu apartments today (23/04/07) and ive got to say it was fantastic so dont go on the reviews you read here as we have been the past two years and have always loved it.
Would defo recommend the dolphin trip we got amazing pictures and also recommend LA FIESTA BAR what a laugh!!
It was a cheap and cheerful holiday at the last minute but would go back again."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of April 2007

Glad to find I was pleasantly surprised

Good

"Me and my finace have just returned from a week staying at the Malibu Apartments. After booking I came on here and read reviews I was totally dreading going. To my suprise I had a great holiday. The apartments are clean and the maids are in every other day. The apartments are at the top of large hill although we got a taxi up and down it approx 2 euros. I would defo go back to puerto rico and I would recommend the malibu apartments to anyone. Also I would like to mention for anyone who likes Mexican food to go to the Tex-Mex where you will enjoy lovely food and a lovely setting there is normally a little man standing outside with his Sombrero - great holiday for £180!"

• Travel date: Tue 27th of March 2007

It's a fair trek to the Malibu

"We've just had a week in these apartments. We booked a last minute deal with a travel agent and then came on here to read the reviews and were really dreading it! It wasn't as bad as I first anticipated, however we did have some problems.

We knew it was up the top of the hill and were expecting to do a fair amount of walking. We had no problems with hiring taxis, the phone number is printed above the phone and they always came when we called. It's only a few euros to get up and down the hill however this meant that if you just wanted to pop out to the shops it was a bit off-putting by the end of the week. It's not easily accessible, I would never contemplate walking up that hill so you feel a little cut-off from the rest of Puerto Rico.

We booked through Seguro and arrived about 3am and were given access to our apartments straight away which is great, you go along to reception with a passport the next day and check-in at your leisure. Unfortunately I hadn't noticed at this stage that there was no kettle and toaster in the apartment and reception never re-opened for the rest of the day (although it is supposed to open between 4 & 8 pm) so we had to go without. You can also hire fans and hairdryers although we did not do this.

Seguro advertised that there is a restaurant on site. There is but it was not open the whole time we were which was a bit misleading. It also advertises that there is a supermarket on-site which there isn't. The nearest supermarket is just a couple of minutes down the hill and is well-stocked. There was only one night of entertainment the whole week we were there, usually music is just played. The entertainment manager tries his best but to be honest there were never really that many people in the bar so he tended to organise games etc.

The apartments were clean but a little run-down. There are only two sockets which you can use in the apartment with an adaptor and none of them are near a mirror which is horrific for drying your hair! On the up-side the apartments have the biggest and best balconies I have ever had abroad. They are huge and they get the sun the whole day. There was grafitti in our apartment which actually gave us a few laughs but it does make the place look dingy. Our sofa was all ripped as were our mattresses but we spent very little time inside the apartment (due to the balcony being so good) so it didn't really matter to us.

The swimming pool is good and not too cold although the music beside the pool can be a little loud especially if you are trying to read or have a sleep. It was very clean though. You can hire mattresses for the sun loungers at 50 cents per day, well worth it as they are very comfortable.

The cleaner came every day (except Sunday) and brought fresh towels and cleaned the place, we had no problems on this front at all. We were very happy with the standard of cleaning.

Puerto Rico is very beautiful and the best restaurants are on the top level of the Europa Centre. The touts are really annoying, even when we said that we were not interested sometimes they chased us along even trying to grab us to get our attention. Every other doorway is a pub or a restaurant and you get stopped by ALL the touts so it becomes very tiresome. Even the perfume shops are starting to have touts too!

I don't think I would go back to the Malibu because of the access from the main centre and Seguro are not advertising their hotel in this year's brochure anyway but all-in-all it wasn't so bad for the price we paid."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of March 2007

Malib Apts and Gran Canaria tour

Good

"We have just returned today from Puerto Rico where we stayed in the Malibu Apts which is the last apartments at the very top of the "west hill". We read various horror stories about this place, but for us, these were all found to be "not proven". We booked the trip the day before for £159 with Seguro Travel, which included all transfers, ticket on departure, in-flight meal, flight supplement, fuel surcharge, and Gordon Brown's recent tax hike for people flying in and out of the UK etc. Every other company added these charges on, which typically came to another couple of hundred quid for both of us. But no, £159 per head was the TOTAL we paid.
Back to the apartments - they were large, very clean, good maid service. Negatives are: no microwave, no kettle, no toaster (which you can hire there). However we knew this before we travelled and took a wee toaster and kettle with us. So for less than £160 for a week it was clearly a steal. Realistically, what can you get today for £160? We rented car online for £80 for the week for a Citroen C3 (brand new) with Holiday Autos on-line, and travelled extensively throughout the island clocking up 1,200 km in the week. Incidentally, DO NOT wait till you get there to rent a car, as I looked at three different places in Puerto Rico who were all over DOUBLE the cost to walk in off the street and book the car there. Puerto Rico itself is spoiled by the persistent hassle you get from people (Props) attempting to drag you into their eating and drinking establishments, not to mention any of the electrical shops predominately owned by Asians who see you looking in the window and actually come out of the shop in their droves and try to get you into their shops to buy something. They WILL NOT leave you alone. They are a real pain. Would'nt be surprised to hear a few of them were on the receiving end of a "Glesga Kiss". Also, nothing in these shops have a price tag on them, so they will do their utmost to shaft you with over-inflated prices for their electrical items, which, in our experience, can be bought cheaper in Comet or Currys at home and you get the full 1 year guarantee in the UK.
Realistically, Puerto Rico itself could be another version of Benidorm or a Blackpool with sunshine, and a million English-style pubs and shops, except you don’t get as much of the “Come in here” crap in the UK, which will surely put a damper on your holiday in Puerto Rico.
But I would absolutely recommend, if one of you drive, to rent a car, disperse with the Holiday Reps trained in the “hard-sell” on regimental-style coach tours for which they make their commission, and drive around independantly, and go up into the mountains in the centre of the island. The views are quite remarkable and petrol is half the price of the UK. We never bother going to the Rep’s meeting as they waste an hour of your holiday trying to get more money out of you for selling you over-inflated coach trips. Buy a map and book and do the trips yourself!! Then all you need in Puerto Rico is your bed for a kip at night.
Incidentally, we have loads of photos but cannot upload any as they are all larger than the permitted 2mb."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of February 2007

as good as it gets

Good

"went back again this time no kids.just with the wife,uncle andy and auntie susan.had a great time weather was fantastic a bit overcast for a couple of daysbut still very warm.got to go out after midnight this time and thoroughly enjoyed the funny girls drag show and also the singer comedian in the shamrock bar.only bad thing abot th funny girls was that you paid your bill when you left so you dont really know how much a round is.san miguel restaurant is still great value for money but word of warning if you are not a big eater dont order the mixed meat platter it would choke a horse.(4 chops,chicken breast,huge steak,sausage,chips and a side salad)all for under 10 euros.(wow)malibu for entertainment is [--] although elvis tries his best,the pool is great and the cleanliness of the rooms is very good.above all the holiday is superb for couples at this time of year.last tip for you drinkers out there ask around for the whereabouts of M and M's bar, 4 drinks will cost you 5 euros elsewhere same will cost you 15 euros plus.YOURS chickc60"

• Travel date: Wed 15th of November 2006

winter sunshine

"29th october 06
just returned from an 8 night break to the malibu. read lots of reports on internet and was a bit wary regarding all the reported break ins. no such thing. had a great holiday and never heard of any complaints. the maids were in nearly every day altho we never saw them. the walk down to the comercial centre gave us sore calfs but after a couple of days were ok but a taxi back up was a must. only a couple of euros. would not hesitate to book these apartments again."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of November 2006

cheap as chips

"We have just returned from a great break at the malibu. we booked as a late deal, myself and my 3 kids age 7, 10 and 12. When we told our friends about it they booked too. The dads were both working so there we were two mums travelling with 3 similar aged kids EACH. After reading some of the awful reviews on this web site we were really dreading what we would find. But honestly it was fine. Yes, Elvis is there, but he really works hard to entertain and the kids LOVED him. Only saw a couple of cockroaches in the hall NONE in either of our apartments. I was on the 6 floor, my friend on the 3RD. She was closer to the bar and it was noisy til midnight. We didnt hear anything. The resort is fab. cheap as chips to eat out in the centre! local waterpark Atlanta is within walking distance, tho we did get the taxi back every night. 2euros. weather fantastic every day. Maids in almost every day and very thorough. Robert the rep was the only real let down. otherwise my kids desperate to take daddy back there next year. Hardly any beasties at all! No mosquito bites or wasps.usually i come back covered in bites.GO AND ENJOY!"

• Travel date: Tue 31st of October 2006

Great time had by all!

Good

"Just returned from a great week at the Malibu. The accomodation is basic but clean, staff are friendly and helpfull.
Yes its right at the top of the hill, but its only about a 15 min walk to the commercial centre.
The geriatric Elvis is now doing all of the entertainment as Ben has left...this man is stuck in a timewarp but quite amusing."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of October 2006

Well Worth The Money

Good

"The malibu apartments were fantastic. Me and my boyfriend have just got back from a week in Puerto Rico. The only problem is, is walking up and down the hill everytime you want to get into peurto rico itself. taxis cost about 3euroes to get to the apartments. We had no faults at all with the accomodation. Staff were great. Fantastic place to holiday and we would definetly reccomend this apartment. "

• Travel date: Tue 15th of February 2011

I was a bit worried about going as we ha...

Good

"I was a bit worried about going as we had read lots of bad reviews on the hotel but I was pleasently surprised the rooms were spotless and service from the staff was good. It was me and my boyfriends first holiday together and we had a great time the weather was great for March only one cloudy day out of seven and even then it was still hot.
The hotel is at the top of the hill but easily enough to walk down and we just got taxis back up it was never more than 3 euros. The only bad point is that the pool was freezing even though it was ment to be heated but once your in its fine. I would defenitly go back as it was well worth the money."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of May 2008

Hotels near Malibu Apartments

Stayed at Malibu Apartments? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Malibu Apartments

• zoeh93 by zoeh93

"Probably not for people who dont like walking! "

Malibu Apartments is also called