ClubHotel Riu Vistamar

Avda de la Cornisa Playa de Mogan - Gran Canaria, 35130 Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria Spain

Good

Very impressed!!

"We (young couple) went to the Riu Vistamar in June 05 and were very impressed with the service as the staff were very friendly and obliging. When we arrived we were allocated the 9:30 sitting for dinner but as this was far too late for dinner we asked to be changed to the earlier sitting at 7 and they were more than happy to do this.

Room was great and found the in room radio quite amusing due to the music choices! Well furnished, carpeted, air con etc. Great sea view. Ask for floor 4 or 5 as your closer to restaurant, pools and bars - these are all on higher levels.

Food was excellent. Huge choice and variety every meal, ranging from rabbit to crab!!!! There was also choices of plainer food e.g. pizza pasta etc but also the tremendous choice of local dishes e.g. Paella and fresh fish. Salad bar was unbelievably good and there was always a fantastic selection which altered every night as well as foods that were available throughout the week. Not to go on about the food but my girlfriend has particular food intolerences and the staff were amazingly helpful with this to the point where they supplied soya milk every morning to our table without the need to ask!

Drinks were just as good with cocktails flowing all night. They were available all the time without any wait and bar staff are very friendly. Entertainment was funny and kept us amused.
Pools great and facilities also. Could always get a lounger. Beach great but down hill. Free bus is necessary and available every half an hour, always on time.

Cant fault it! - just struggling to find a place for this year thats as good!"

• Travel date: Sun 12th of March 2006

EXCELLENT WEEK AT THE VISTAMAR

"My two daughters and I spent a week at the Riu Vistamar from 9-16 February 2006 to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday.

We had a good room on the 5th floor which overlooked Amadores Beach. It was cleaned and serviced well each day and there were always clean towels, plenty of toilet rolls, soap, shampoo etc.

We loved the food at the hotel - always well presented with loads of variety and some special things - various fruit smoothies or champagne breakfast etc. The food was always hot and nobody suffered any stomach upsets during the stay.

The drinks flowed - both alcoholic and non alcoholic -the bar staff were never mean with quantity (quite the opposite, you could drown in drink if you wanted), but we didnt see too many drunk people thankfully!

The entertainment team were great - they worked hard during the day and at night, when they put on some great shows which we personally enjoyed. Some evenings there were professional shows from outside - Acrobats, Band & singers etc.

The hotel is up high, but we didnt find this a problem at all, as the courtesy bus took us back and forth to the beach and you can easily ask the friendly Reception staff to call a taxi - it was only about €4 to Puerto Rico and you can catch a cheap bus from there to practically anywhere. We went for a day to Palmitos Park, which the girls both enjoyed, especially the Parrot show!

Amadores Beach is lovely - white sand and specially sheltered bay, so the waves are not too high. There are plenty of places to buy drink, food, papers etc on the beach also.

We thoroughly enjoyed our week at the Riu Vistamar and would highly recommend it to everyone."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of March 2006

Loved it here

"My husband, 18 year old daughter and I have just returned from this hotel last week. We found the staff to be excellent, very helpful and always spoke no matter what time of day or night.
I would agree with other reviewers that the tables in the dining room were a little too close for comfort but the food certainly took your mind of the person next door to you. The choice at every meal was perfect with a wide variety to suit every palette. Having on tap vino was unususal for all inclusive.
The smoothies at breakfast are a must. If you really like your food you can eat all day long with no restriction. The views rom the swimming pools on the roof are spectacular
Overall I would reccomend this hotel"

• Travel date: Sun 5th of March 2006

Our second stay was just as wonderful

"I have just returned from a second stay at this wonderful hotel. I first went there in November 2005 with my husband. This time I went with my daughter.

My daughter celebrated her 23rd birthday out there and the hotel supplied us with a delicious cake. We ordered champagne, which was very tasteful, and they went out of their way to make her birthday special.

The hotel left a gift of fruit and wine in our room. How wonderful is that?

I cannot say anything negative about this hotel, it's staff or it's position. Yes, it is on top of a hill, but that is pointed out in the brouchures. So why do people complain about it when they get there?

The entertainment staff are very, very friendly and so talented. My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed joining in the daytime activities, with all the other nationallities, and having a really good laugh. They work extremely long hours and still have a smile for everyone, even for the complainers.

The nightime entertainment is just that, entertaining. It's not meant to be taken seriously, it's for the holiday makers to have a good laugh and a enjoyable evening.

The Vistamar has a new 'no smoking' policy which is very welcome. The visitors can only smoke by the pool.

This hotel is one of the best I have ever stayed at.

Well done to all the staff - I will be back."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of March 2006

enjoyable

"I have just stayed at this hotel and can certainly recommend it, rooms clean and a good size the quality of the food is excellent, I have not given it 5 stars as I feel the tables in the dining room in the evening are too close together and do not reflect the standard of food which is excellent. The person who reported that chips were on the menu was correct but alongside several other potato options I defy anyone not to be impressed with the selection and quality of food on offer and I am quite a fussy person. Smoking was a problem in the foyer but I understand this is to change with the new laws being enforced as a non smoker this will only enhance this hotel.Riu hotels where I have stayed previously have all been excellent value for money and this one is the same in my opinion"

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of March 2006

9 out of 10

"We stayed here in February with our 12 month old toddler. I would agree with most of the positive reviews here and would have loved to have given this hotel "full marks" given that the staff are the friendliest I have encountered but there were just one or two niggles. Nothing that should put you off staying at the Vistamar but irritating nonetheless.

Due to the location (perched on the side of a cliff) getting anywhere within the hotel requires a long walk and the use of a lift or several flights of stairs. The elderly or disabled may have trouble. There is only ever one bar open at one time (except for late at night) which means that you will be spending a lot of your holiday on the move. Unlike other Riu hotels I have visited (in the Caribbean) the mini bar in your room is not stocked so if you retire to your room early (to put your toddler to bed) then you have got a long hike to the bar to get any drinks. The bathroom is starting to look a little tired but is functional. The dining room is very cramped and you will feel like you are sat on someone else’s table.

On the plus side the food is fantastic, the children’s disco is fun and the view from your room (at least from the 3rd floor) is breathtaking. I would recommend that you ask to change rooms if you are given anything below the 3rd floor. Floor 5 is probably the best in terms of view and the fact that it is closer to the pool and bars. Bar service was very efficient and I never had to wait longer than 30 seconds to be served. If you can’t even wait that long, then there are several self service areas where you can get beer and soft drinks. Most of the spirits I could see were branded. There was no problem with smoke filled rooms (as mentioned in previous posts) because the Spanish have just passed a law banning smoking indoors and guests were very observant. I would say that the guest ratio was 40% British and 40% German but it was the school holidays so maybe less British other weeks of the year. The courtesy bus to the beach is a good idea and Amadores beach is well worth a visit. There is a cliff top walkway between Amadores and Peurto Rico which is worth the effort although Peurto Rico seemed quite dirty and we didn’t stay long.

Overall a very enjoyable stay although one week was just about enough for us. Would I go back? Probably not but I wouldn’t be upset if the wife booked it as a surprise."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of February 2006

We travel a lot and have stayed in many Riu Hotels and this one is their best.

"This Hotel seems to really suit families with young children. The childrens pool is heated and the larger pools are ideal if you want to do proper lap swims or just splash about. The Animation team were so much fun, chearful and very entertaining. The gym was OK. Food was excellent, fresh, cooked in front of you and loads of vegetables, all freshly cooked each meal time with lots of choice. The rooms were clean and OK, we hardly spent anytime in them as their was so much to do. We HIGHLY recommend this hotel, however, we had one complaint about the kids club, which the Manager said he would rectify ASAP. When leaving your child in the kids club, they do not ask where the parents will be, how old the child is and they allow the children to walk freely out of the club room itself, which is in the middle of a large swimming complex giving access to the rest of the hotel. No register is taken and no headcounts either. After our complaint, the kids club team seemed to be slightly more diligent about headcounts, I hope they sort out this safety issue soon, as the club itself was fantastic and the team too! We would return again."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of February 2006

A very relaxing week at the Riu Vistamar

Good

"Couple, mid 30's, no kids, in need of break from NHS !Stayed Feb 6th-13th 2006, in room 238. Booked through Thomson. Planned to do very little so decided on this all-inclusive hotel on top of a very big hill, so no temptation to wander too far. Not fussed with Gran Canaria - (bit of a dump, sorry!)- but liked this hotel and all that went with it. Go here for sun, relaxation and good service. If you like to wander, not good location for walking unless professional climbers, though the hotel has a garage, so car hire eminently possible. Probably avoid 1st floor rooms as flying cigarettes may cause offence (see previous reviews), however sea views all round. We liked the dining arrangements - school flash-back - the 8.30 p.m. sitting probably has fewer children/families, get seated on aisle tables to avoid crush. The animation team work very long and hard, and include all guests very well. Use pool restaurant for breakfast as an alternative to indoors (from 10 a.m.). Definitely converted to the all-inclusive ,Riu-chain approach. Enjoy!"

• Travel date: Mon 20th of February 2006

We could not fault this hotel

"The hotel staff were extremely pleasant and helpful throughout our 2 week stay. Our room was delightful, extremely clean and well maintained complete with fridge and safe. The satalite tv was confined to news programmes in english but there was also a radio with four music channels. Drinking water was available in large bottles at any time of day or night from reception. We had hoped for a high floor after reading other reviews but were allocated room 205 and the view was tremendous so we were quite satisfied. The food was fantastic, top quality and the choice unbelievable, it was not just chips every day, there was always other varieties of potato. Every night there was choice of all types of meat and fish with a superb salad bar and vast selection of fruit cheeses etc. Wine, beer, soft drinks, tea and coffee were available to help yourself all day. If you were in for breakfast early or later the seating was plentiful, being a litte more crowded at rush hour about 9am. For the evening meal the table was allocated for the duration of your stay. The pool bar had a covered area where you could help yourself to drinks and food all day. The 2 pools were beautiful, warm enogh to swim in and with more than enough seating. You could also move your chairs into a more private space in you wished. Most of the evening entertainment was done by the animation team and was good, they worked hard and their dance routines were great. Other groups and shows performed several nights, and we found seating every night. The smoking area is confined to the right of the upper bar and the lower larger seating area in front of the stage is smoke free where another bar is available. The hotel is situated at the top of a big hill. It is a walk that is not for the faint hearted and takes about 25 minutes from the bottom to the hotel, we enjoyed the challenge but there are also taxis avaliable at 3 euros and courtesy buses provided by the hotel. Overall the hotel is a quality 4 star all inclusive venue. It is not a self catering establishement, it is one where you can eat, drink, relax, unwind and enjoy yoursleves. Highly recommeded."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of February 2006

Didn't live up to expectations.

"When we read the reviews to the Riu Vistamar my Wife and I could not wait to get there. When we did arrive we found the staff to be polite and helpful. When we found our room we were dissapointed. The rooms were clean enough, although this is how we have found the standard to be in all accomodation in Gran Canaria. The first problem was there are no tea and coffee making facilities in the room. We had to go out to the shops and buy a kettle, cups, tea, coffee and sugar. Not what you expect with all inclusive. They do have tea and coffee vending machines, but the tea and coffee were not very nice at all. There is no light on the balcony, so you cannot sit out there of an evening and enjoy the view. The restaraunt is extremly cramped, we also found out they were fully booked this week which meant meal times were a free for all. The breakfast was awful, all we were offered was very cheap streaky bacon which had been deep fried, this was the same standard for all of the cooked breakfast, apart from the fried eggs. You were okay if all you wanted was cereal or fruit.

The evening meals were okay, not much to write home about and did not have much variety. Also, you were okay if you liked chips!!!

If like us you fancy an early quiet night in, you can bring drinks to your room, but it's quite a walk. The television offers Sky News as it's best english channel.

As the hotel was full, the swimming pool areas were packed, even though they are large. The sunbeds were all taken, or you were very squashed.

The rooms also did not have an iron, you can get a battered one from reception, but have to leave a 20 Euro deposit. But there is no ironing board!!!

The evening entertainment was awful, the bar area was thick with smoke. The non-smoking area was next to the exit so the smoke flowed straight at you. We didn't go in there at all as it was too much. If you didn't get there in time it was standing room only.

All in all, I would not rate this hotel any where near a four star. Yes the staff were helpful, but I feel they couldn't handle being busy. They have around 450 rooms, so when fully booked at an average of two to a room, that means they have to entertain one thousand people. The rooms are of a good standard, but not four star.

Given the choice of the Riu, or a two star I have stayed in self catering down the road, I would go for the two star every time."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of January 2006

3rd Time Unlucky

"Our 3rd visit to the Riu Vistamar was in November 2014. We were so much looking forward to returning having had brilliant holidays there in 2009 & 2007. The hotel no longer lives up to its 4 star rating & has a major problem with a nasty diarrhea & vomiting bug which been ongoing since last April. Within 36 hours of arriving 3 out of 4 of us were struck down with this & its extremely violent. My daughter in law, who is pregnant, ended up in hospital for 3 days on a drip due to dehydration.We flew home a week early as we were too scared to eat anything in the hotel. We were by no means the only guests to be ill, but no-one appears to be doing anything about the problem at all. Thomson are well aware of the problem but continue to sell holidays to this hotel & send unknowing holiday makers there to be ill. I would NEVER return to this hotel again, in fact I will probably never go to a Riu hotel again."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of January 2015

SICKNESS IN PARADISE

"This was our first visit to the riu vistamar 10/06/13we arrived after 12.30 am checked in ok, food is in resturant for you cold meat cucumber onion sweet corn water etc rubbish impression,went to room unpacked etc went to bed got up at 8.00am loverly view of the sea and amerdores beach breath taking wow the holiday has started. we went up for breakfast cererals toast bacon eggs prunes cold meats etc coffe teas. we went up to look at pools views etc all looked good but alot of towels on sun beds very early so what we will get ours later looked in the roof top cafe thats what it was a cafe not a resturant anyway all inclusive starts at 11.00am colas fantas,sprites,tonic,beers,spirits etc all local pops not coke or sprite or even fanta but it was ok the pop was served in reuseable plastic cups which had a weired smell in the glasses cafe serves chips pizza hot dogs melon slices etc not much here but ok if thats all you eat so scabby bits of fruit as well. smelly drains near cafes, we had been up admiring the view when i was shocked to find some vomit near the glass barrier at first just thought some one has been drunk at sometime and being sick some we ran from this location,we went poolside swiming etc sunbathing having a good time went down to wash and change for the resturant went down got seated in our table asigned to us in a line looked for the food but it was the same as the cafe on the rooftop there was salad but most of it was covered in mayonaise which i can not eat so i got some lettuce and cucumber ,onion and some fish.my partner got soup and some salad fish as we both will not eat hot dogs pizza old pasta with thick skin on had to wait ages for a drink as well anyway finished and went back up sunbathing .evening meals very similer to lunch some sliced meat it was cold seamed a bit better in the evening,entertainment was terrible same as all the other hotels i suppose ,we had to wait for drinks several times we gave tips but they were very slow all drinks you can serve yourself pop wine etc not branded evening finished went to bed,got up next day all the same food for breakfast also water barrel refilled but saw people filling bottles yack keep away if you want water get it from the reception you get one bottle a day wow not much,went up to pool areas swiming sunbathing saw someone vomit really close to the pool water we thought is this just a coinsidance so we went to the other pool wether great pools good food rubbish went down to the toilets to find poop every where i ran out and reported it to reception they said use your toilet in room which we did spoke to some other people they had been ill and said the food had been terrible all the time and they had spoken to other people that had had sickness and diaorear some we booked the andilucian night what a load of rubbish anyway you guessed it we got the upset belly poops etc told the rep they totally denied anyone else had it but alot of people did went to the farmacia in the Europa centre they said it is a virus in the hotel they get a lot of people from there so we complained to the rep and registered our complaint. so we started eating out had to hire a car because of the location of the hotel getting back in was terrible the guard was from the second world war we named him adolf it was a bit like colditz on returning to the hotel no guests are aloud the staff are quite freindly some cannot understand what you are saying we found other peole with the illness as well after our sickness .we have stayed in riu hotels on three occaisions before this is the forth and it will be the last stay in any riu hotel not what we expected the illness in the hotel the poor quality food also looking worn out in rooms we paid a lot for this hotel and it was not worth the money.taxis can be ordered to the shops costing from 4 euros to 7 euros i would not recommend this hotel to any of our freinds we did find some nice places to eat out we went to another hotel in mogan and got evening meals buffet loverly with drinks for only 34 euros bargain so went nearly every day also got free use of the lido therein taurito we love gran canaria been coming for 20 years been in 20 hotels and this was and is the worst hotel. after reading some of the other reviews I makes you think its a different hotel but its not there was at least 1500 people there and only 12 reviews so poor ones will follow I would imangine. great for people who just let there kids run wild and like gandnam style song at least 15 time a night we are a couple wanted a relaxing time not at this hotel food poor not many healthy choices meats under cooked this was probably the cause of the sickness for many people. you are expected to pay for your food and drinks on your final day after 12.00pm on the check out day

we are coming back to gran canaria because the tour operator has given us a small amount of money back so so much for not knowing about the sickness in the hotel they said because we kept all the receipts from eating out they accepted there was a problem but given as a good will gesture thanks Thomas cook"

• Travel date: Sat 13th of July 2013

Hotels near ClubHotel Riu Vistamar

Stayed at ClubHotel Riu Vistamar? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for ClubHotel Riu Vistamar

• lindek by lindek

"Typical holiday port. Time share sharks everywhere. Glass bottom boat to Mogan very popular. "

• J Lillystone by J Lillystone

"Too many timeshare people mainly bars and restaurants "

• holly_reviews by holly_reviews

"Tacky and garish - but the ferry here will whisk you away to better sights! "

• holly_reviews by holly_reviews

"La Lonja in Mogan, First Choice VIP Island Delights tour "

• Caz82 by Caz82

"Our best holiday yet - great for a sun / beach holiday "

• Caz82 by Caz82

"Aqualand @ Maspolomas "

• John the Volleyball Coach by John the Volleyball Coach

"Relax and enjoy every minute from arrival. "

• IR by IR

"location for youngsters/teenagers "

• chrisyf by chrisyf

"try the themed food nights book at dinner 8th floor ask the waiter brilliant food. the themed nights are in the restaurant on the 9th floor "

• Rosemissmoss by Rosemissmoss

"In winter the best rooms for sun all day are facing toward Puerto Rico and not Amadores beach "

• toony by toony

"be careful of people "

• Lynne P by Lynne P

"Dont go there unless you don't mind being ill. "

ClubHotel Riu Vistamar is also called