About Aparthotel Puerto Plata

• norwegian amenities
  • mini golf

Puerto Plata ,,Feb 2013

Reviewed Thu 7th of March 2013

"Had a week here for school feb break.Would go back for another week,but rooms are very small and i think IMO 2 weeks would be a bit of a cramp with more clothes etc.First time ive stayed in a studio in many years(1 adult 2 kids)
Reception was very friendly and very informative.WI-FI purchased for 20 euro,tv card for 25 euro(10 returned on return of remote and key).Not a great many channels on tv,but kept kids happy.
Bathroom seemed fairly new and very nice,lovely view from balcony(i had asked for a view),kitchen was small but ok,toaster and kettle provided :)..free.Bedding fresh and clean,good maid service for 5 out of the 7 days.
Pool was large and swimmable in..feb remember.Happy hour twice a day at pool bar,very popular..2 pints for 2 euros i think.Shop on site was not badly priced and well stocked.
The main downside to the hotel is when you first arrive its like a `maze`..BUT a few hours later once you get your bearings its fine. 8/10...not bad at all "

• Travel date: Tue 5th of March 2013

Very well kept apartments

Reviewed Mon 21st of February 2011

"I can't believe some of the reviews on this sight. My friend and i one 60 one 62 stayed there last October 2010. My brother has 2 apartments on the complex and although we didn't stay in one of his, the one we had was spotless. The staff were very helpful any problems were sorted straight away,the pool area was very clean and the snack bar was reasonally priced.The only thing i would say is that you need to very able bodied as it is up a very steep hill although taxis are very reasonably priced some people do expect a lot from a 2 star rated apartment.In fact i am going again on thursday 24th Feb and again in October very very lovely apartments."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of February 2011

Perfect Place to stay

Reviewed Wed 12th of January 2011

"I have just returned from a 28 day holiday over Christmas and New Year, this is a great place to stay I cannot fault it in any way, the whole complex is beautifuly kept the studios are small but adequate and the staff in all departments are friendly and helpful and most speak english, in reception you have Pedro and Oscar both very nice and helpful, in the upper poolside bar you will find Antonio and his staff allways ready for a laugh and a chat as well as serving you with good food and drink at reasonable prices the restarunt Vist grill serves excellent food, and Ellingtons disco with Roy The Boy is also great But I have to say the newest venue just opened in December is something special it has to be seen to appreciate, the ambiance and atmosphere are out of this world,its called "Long Play Chillout" the manager Felix and his staff are there to serve you with superb food and drink at anytime from 9am to 3am. So when you read some of the comments on here please take them with a pinch of salt this place is fabulous, my wife and I have been going there for 21 years and we would not have done that if it was has some people say on here.As for cockroaches in 28 days stay I have not seen one alive I saw 1 dead one."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of January 2011

No thank you.

Reviewed Fri 4th of June 2010

"We stayed at the Peurto plata with it's roach infested kitchenet ,, filthy bathroom,minging bed linen and not to mention the fact that we booked for 3 adults are were surpised to find that the the sofa was indeed a bed,,it wasnt even a sofa it was a tiny 2 seater, with a skinny cushion on it. When we went into the apartment I saw the sofa had a folded up sheet tossed onto the arm as if to see "here's you 3rd bed" it was no such thing ,,staff then played dumb when we approached the them about this(nothing can do attitude) There was also the issue of the filthy poolside and crap entertainment, who by the way was a sad drag act who i found to be rude (minors present) and not at all funny, if i was a bloke i think i would have hit him,, but i smiled at his repulsive jokes and ignored his dam right rude comments about my hubby and I. Thatwas the last straw and i could not wait to get home to the UK and end this rubbish, unsatisfactory stay at the Puerto Platta i would say service was very poor indeed, i wouldnt go back if it was free.( free of roaches)"

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of June 2010

Winter sun in Puerto Rico

Reviewed Mon 2nd of November 2009

"My boyfriend and I were looking for a week long relaxing break somewhere hot after a hellishly busy couple of months. We picked Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria literally 3 days before we flew and we are very pleased to report that the holiday was all we could have wanted as a relaxing break.
We booked the Puerta Plata with Panorama basically because it was all that was available for the week of the 24th of October, it being a busy week with schools closed for midterm break. We flew with Monarch, who we found to be very good. The flight was on time, the plane was comfortable and we could actually hear the announcements made by the pilots and cabin crew, unlike Ryanair who we would have flown with recently a lot. Our coach to the resort was fine and we really enjoyed our first view of Puerto Rico when we arrived at midnight. Checking in to the apartments was easy, even with the queue as most of our coach were staying at the Puerto Plata. The receptionist was friendly and efficent and advised us to come back the next day for rental of a safety deposit box, and also that we had to leave our passports overnight. No problem finding our apartment either which was on the first floor overlooking the pool. It was spacious enough for the 2 of us and we found it to be clean and well equipped with comfortable beds. We were happy to note that the shower was excellent and we had a TV with a few English speaking channels. Ideal.
As we were staying in October the whole complex was very quiet. The pool bar was closed, off season I guess, but there was a handy mini-market, a by the pool reatuarant and the Vista Grill restaurant and bar. We ate in the Vista Grill twice, we didn't enjoy the first meal but the 2nd was divine. I absolutely recommend the prawn cocktail and the sea bass, and the mussels. Gorgeous, and not overpriced. The pool itself was a nice size and was in a brilliant position to catch the sun. Sun beds were readily available but again this was probably due to it being October and not July!
Puerto Rico itself is a lovely compact place, everything is in walking distance but do watch out for all those steps up to the apartments from the beach. There are over 150 and in the heat they can be tough. The key is to keep breathing and drink water! :) We spent 6 of our 7 days on the beach, once we were down there by about 10 am we had no problem getting sunbeds and a parasol. I bought a snorkel and spent a while out by the rocks as there is loads of sealife well worth a look. Check out the red and blue crabs and the shoals of black fish with blue bellies out by the rocks. One of the days we hopped on the ferry to Mogan, €10.00 return each. I'd recommend the trip over to Mogan and if you get the 10:30 am ferry they take you out into the dolphin zone. The trip is an hour (usually a lot less) but we saw no dolphins. Oh well, they were not guaranteed and the trip cost the same. Mogan is quaint with some nice shops and restaurants. We hired a pedalo and took a spin out to the caves aswell which were worth a look.
Back in Puerto Rico, there were plenty of restuarants to choose from. We had a horroble experience in the Red Rose down by the marina, avoid it at all costs. We did find a restaurant called Arizona over at the other end of the marina, near to the sailing school and the ferries and we ate there everyday. The menu was declicious and varied, prices reasonable and the manager (fun friendly guy) there offers a 10% discount on your return visit. We used that every day and we were offered great food and friendly service every day and some free snagria and crepes on occasion. I absolutely recommend the salmon, prawn and sole dish, the chicken sandwich, and the mussels in white wine sauce. Attached to the Arizona is the Hawaii beach bar, worth a visit to check out the fishtank and the parrots! :) We also tried a few of the beach restuarants which were ideal for a light lunch or breakfast- the club sandwich is recommended.
Nightlife in Puerto Rico this time of year seems to be quiet enough, with most of the people staying in the area in the family category, or older couples. We went down to the shopping centre one night but to be honest we didn't enjoy it at all. Everyone will have a different opinion but we found it tacky and everywhere we turned were touts trying to sell us cheap watches or people trying to lure us into their restaurants. We ate in the Pinnochio Italian restuarant that night, not bad but we didn't feel like returning a second night.
Overall, I enjoyed Puerto Rico and the Puerta PLata. I would come back in an instant and would stay in the Puerta Plata as I could not fault it. If I was feeling lazy I would of course book accomodation by the beach to save all tbe hiking up the steps, but as Puerto Rico is built on the side of a mountain it can't be helped. Also, we were quite lucky with the weather as the locals told us that it was the hottest October that had experienced in years! Perfect!
10/10 for Puerta Plata and Puerto Rico.

• Travel date: Sun 1st of November 2009

good location - bad atmosphere

Reviewed Wed 8th of July 2009

"We are 2 girls and we had a week away before xmas. We came to puerto rico a year earlier but stayed at the top of the hill. This time we chose puerto plata as we saw that it is in a better position. we were shocked on arrival to have to wait about 20 minutes in reception while an argument was going on between an english couple and the receptionists. Eventually we got our room. It was ok, superficially clean and its not an expensive place so you dont expect much. There wasnt much. The fridge hardly worked and the whole kitchenette thing was old and battered.

We had quiet friendly neighbours. in fact one of the neighbours were the english couple who we first saw in reception. they were staying in a private apartment which belongs to a friend of theres. they explained that each apartment is individually owned but some are operated by reception and others are completely private. apparently there is a little war going on with the reception trying to control who uses the private ones and thats what the argument was about.

The poolside bar was friendly. it was almost impossible to get a sunbed on poolside most of the time so we went to the beach mostly.

When we came back after a night out, the creepy security man followed us through the complex. if i was alone i would have been really scared."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of July 2009

Great holiday

Reviewed Fri 24th of April 2009

"Having read very mixed reviews I wasn't at all sure what to expect in the Peurto Plata Apartments. I think that they were very nice, yes basic but very clean and depending on which block you are in they are just perfect. We were in the block by the swimming pool on ground level which was very convenient to walk out the door and have the pool very close by. The location is certainly for able bodied people as there are a huge amount of steps, not a problem for us but i would imagine would not suit older people, wheelchair users or people with young children. Peurto Rico itself is beautiful, recomment Oscars bar down by the Marina, think there are two but the smaller more quaint restuarant is amazing. The Amorez beach is well worth going to see and a beautiful walk to it. I will defo return to Peurto rico, however would probably stay in apartments on ground level with the beach."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of April 2009

fabulous hotel !

Reviewed Sun 15th of March 2009

"having read some of the reviews i was quite shocked. bar staff are extremely friendly and love to chat.they cant do enough for you phoning taxis ashtrays cleaned every 5 minns complimentary popcorn +snacks to your table. vista grill is delicious and very resonable. place is extremely clean saw one cockroach on stairs to apartment but i mean come on it is a foreign country try getting rid of all the flys in ireland - impossible!granted cleaners are only there 5 days a week but they are entitled to days off too! our stuff was never stolen and we left makke up, clothing and electrical goods in clear sight but they were always just tidied away. pizza in poolside bar is actually quite delicious and i am known to be quite fussy with food! fair enough the complex has a lot of steps but that is what you would expect at that price because of the few hotels on the flat of the town are really quite expensive in comparison. if you are disabled or elderly it would make more sense to spend the extra money to get a hotel that has little or no steps. pool area is quite small alright but if you cant get a bed go to the beach that is what its there for! also not as hot on beach with breeze. absolutley love puerto rico town loads to do and plenty of bars and fun to be had no matter what age. am going back in summer again and have already booked puerto plata!"

• Travel date: Sun 15th of March 2009

in reply to ismyth

Reviewed Wed 17th of December 2008

"I have stayed in locations all over the world and self catering apartments on several occasions and merely stated that these had to be the worst in relation to noise!! As for the walk to the centre, it is not a problelm to anyone moderately fit. Not even to anyone not so fit. There is a short cut down by the pool in the complex and down a set of steps just below that to the right are another set of steps and before one knows it they are down at the beach. As for returning that also is not difficult unless one wears high heels and possibly may have overindulged in the bars.

The beach at Amadores is very nice as tourist beaches go and the one at Mogan is even better!!
I have stayed on the other Canarian Islands and found Gran Canaria to be the most expensive. Most restaurants were overpriced!!

I would recommend Oscars, La Taberna and Don Quixote."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of December 2008

recommended

Reviewed Tue 16th of December 2008

"Just back from a week in Puerto Plata. Had a lovely time. really dont understand why people are complaining about these apartments because there is absolutly nothing wrong with them. I have been abroad many times and stayed in plenty of apartements, Puerto Plata are definetly not the worst!!! The rooms are basic but nice (the same as every other spanish apartment ive stayed in), they were cleaned every day except thursday. the pool was lovely and clean, the sunbeds are free which means they cant be reserved by putting towels on them at 7am thank god. the pool bar does lovely snacks and the barstaff there are sooo nice, even coming out to play pool with us!!!

the only downside of these apartments are the steep location, the hill is virtually unwalkable but there are taxi's and they show up within 1 minute of reception calling them! the other downside were the barstaff in the disco bar downstairs "ellington". they are very rude and seem to hate their job, they just sneer at the people having a good time up dancing. wouldnt recommend that bar at all-but sure its only 3 euro to the town centre!!! check out Amardores beach-- gorgeous! "

• Travel date: Tue 16th of December 2008

Noisy apartments

Reviewed Tue 9th of December 2008

"My sister and I have just returned from a week in Puerto Rico , Gran Canaria. We stayed in the Puerto Plata apartments. All I can say is never again. It has to be the worst I have ever stayed in. The walls and ceilings are practically paper thin and unless you manage to stay in a top floor apartment without anyone staying in the apartments beside you is the only way you may have a rest. It was impossible to sleep in the evening between 5p.m. and 7p.m. or 8p.m. not to mention during the night. Our neighbours seemed to keep unearthly hours, actually going out at 2a.m. That is their business I know but I felt I couldn't get a wink of sleep with them parading around their room clicking and clopping their high heels. When they arrived back after their night on the tiles they felt they still had to sing and dance until all hours of the morning. There is a security man on site but it is a rather large complex and it must be impossible for him to keep an eye on everyone. He did have to speak to the people in a few of the apartments close to us due to the amount of complaints lodged by several holidaymakers. One would think they could get the message from that. It made them worse in fact!!! I complained to the rep asking if we could be moved and all she was interested in was their Nationality. I did not care where they were from and I feel that was not the point. I wanted to be moved!!

The apartments are clean and small. They also have nice little gardens for those in the lower levels instead of a balcony. The pool bar is good too although the pizzas were not so good. The staff there are good fun and quite friendly. Antonio ought ot be on stage he is so funny. Reception staff were also good enough, Oscar being the freindliest. Mind you they just keep smiling at you and give you the impression they are hanging on every word you are saying and as soon as your back is turned their eyes are also turning in a heavenly direction. Not quite satisfactory if you are looking for assistance.

The vista grill restaurant on the complex is also very good and there are a few very good restaurants down by the beach.

The complex itself is rather large, with several blocks and although they do have elevators do not be fooled, there is no point being in it unless you are in the correct block in the first place. One needs to have a relativley good sense of direction in the place. Lots of people getting lost on the first few days. Arrival went o.k. for us but for a lot of visitors it was hell. Reception staff circle the studio allocated on a map , hand you the key and it is up to oneself to find their room. Block A is the place to opt for if going there, I believe they are quieter. Block B is definatley to be avoided!! The pool area is good enough although if you do wish to use a sunbed there you need to be down there early. People were queuing at 8.30a.m. and the pool did not open until 9.30. Basically the number of beds is limited in comparison to the amount of visitors the complex can accomodate.

Some restaurants I would suggest in the area are as follows, "Oscars" on the street, near the beach and not the one near it upstairs in the shopping centreby the same name. La Taverna, Vista Grill at Puerto Plata apartment/studios, and Don Quixote. "Rossini" in Arguinigin, just out side of Puerto Rico was good also and the taxi ride out there was less than E5.00. Enjoy and have fun if you go !!! Hope you get some rest too as I certainly didn't!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 9th of December 2008

Puerto Plata apartments

Reviewed Sun 30th of November 2008

"I have just returned from a week stay in the Puerto Plata studio/apartments. First of all if you want a peaceful rest I would not recommend these studios. The walls and ceilings are paper thin so while someone is using their bathroom you have no choice but to hear it not to mention any other sounds eminating from the rooms. Arrival went o.k. for us due to the fact that I do have a good sense of direction but for a lot of people it was some time before they found their rooms. The complex is made up of three or four blocks with the worst rooms located in block B!!!! Noisy. My friend joked that one would need a gps to get around the complex.

The rooms are quite clean, mind you we were greeted with 3 cockroaches at our door on arrival and thankfully they were dead. It was an image I could have done without. It makes you wonder what is inside?? We decided that it is due to the fact that some apartments are privately owned and leaving rubbish outside the door encourages them. Moral of the story do not leave rubbish or food lying around.

If anyone is thinking of booking these apartments be sure to pack ear plugs and request a room in block A if possible. The security man appears to do his job by patrolling although I did feel that he was more interested in any lone or loose women on holiday. Passports are well scrutinised by him in the office I would say.

Sunbeds are quite scarse considering the number of guests the complex can hold so I would recommend getting down to the pool before it opens and unfortunately having to queue to get a space. Running down early to throw your towel on a bed is a no no. The pool attendant will not open up the area before 9.00a.m. and people queue from around 8.30a.m.

The Vista grill restaurant is good, and the pool bar is good enough too while the pizza at the bar is not great. There are elevators but be careful as they go to different blocks and by getting into one does not necessarily get you to the right place. The layout is confusing to most people.!!! Enjoy the short walk down to the beach, a taxi ride back to the pool level of the apartments costs just around 2 or 3 euro. Do not make the mistake of buying a camera from any of the Paki/Indian guys in the shops....all fakes and look good enough but not what they appear to be!!!!!!

Best of luck and enjoy the holiday! Rent the safety deposit box also.!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 29th of November 2008

Hotels near Aparthotel Puerto Plata

Top traveller tips for Aparthotel Puerto Plata

• McHardy. by McHardy.

"Stay anywhere but the Puerto Platta, check what your getting as a room and what constitutes as a bed "

• kalina by kalina

"Arizona Restuarant, Puerto Rico! "

• jsmyth08 by jsmyth08

"Try El toro steak house in the shopping centre- also try the Harp bar! great fun "

• Yvonne by Yvonne

"Don't always take too much notice of reviews "

• yvonne maccaulay by yvonne maccaulay

"Great winter sunshine. Avoid the timeshare touts "

• JayneP by JayneP

"Beautiful Holiday destination "

• JayneP by JayneP

"Dolphin boat trip was amazing, Oscars restuarant excellent "

• Neil W by Neil W

"taxi back up at night from centre "

• P Mac by P Mac

"Oscars+ La Taverna were our favourite restaurants. Mogan a pretty village, take the ferry, E10rtn "

Aparthotel Puerto Plata is also called