Sol Barbacan Hotel

Avenida Tirajana 27, 35100 Playa del Ingles, Maspalomas, Gran Canaria Spain

Good

Fantastic stay - don't let the mad 'sunbed' dash put you off - see below!

Good

"My boyfriend and I booked here based on other reviews and to be honest, we were not disappointed!

Apartments are spacious, absolutely spotless (cleaned every day!) and the bathrooms are modern with a fantastic power shower (great for getting rid of all that sand!) Like others who have left reviews we had only one cockroach the entire holiday which my other half was unable to catch so could still be lurking under the shower drain for all we know! - The maids leave the sink and shower drains closed once they have cleaned them so would recommend this as it appears to minimise the risk.

We liked the location as it was far enough away from all the hustle and bustle but an easy 15/20min stroll to the Kasbah and
Irish centres, the beach and even shorter for the Jumbo but the particular design of the apartments means that the bedrooms windows are facing the road (apartments are located at a junction) so there is some traffic noise although we did not hear much in the way of staggering revellers at 4am!

I agree with the previous review about the 8.30am mad dash for sunbeds however we went to the pool at various times of the day and never had any bother getting a sunbed. We personally had no objection to people doing that if they were in fact going to be at the pool however when we were there it was some Irish guests who were the worst for putting down several towels on a poolside spot and not appearing there until well into late afternoon so they had been lying empty all day. Do not be fooled by the hotel guide book in your room which tells you that this 'practice' is not tolerated!

We were self catering however opted for the breakfast and evening buffets a few times as there was something for everyone and such good value (8 and 11 Euros respectively!) The hotel restaurant is a restaurant in it's own right and if you wish to eat from the a la carte (also delicious and excellent value) then I would recommend booking a table on a Friday and Saturday evening as it's extremely popular with Canarians (what better recommendation can you get?!) Please note that if you like your steak 'medium' ask for 'medium to well done' as we think ours were shown the oven door and then placed on our plates!

The evening entertainment is aimed at the majority of Dutch guests however the entertainment staff made a point of asking everyone to join in the games (darts tournaments, archery, pool volleyball) during the day but if you wish for a hotel that provides British evening entertainment then I would consider somewhere else.

We would thoroughly recommend this to anyone looking for a relaxing break in the sun and does not want to go away to be surrounded by Union Jacks and Lion Rampants.
If there are more than two of you, you may want to consider the bungalows which looked absolutely gorgeous and are set in their own private gardens which we are considering for our next visit."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of August 2007

All dutched out!

"I have just returned from the Sol Barbacan Hotel in Las Palmas and while overall I would have to say that its a lovely place to stay for cleanliness, friendly staff, layout etc., I have one complaint - I don't like a race against the Dutch every morning for sunbeds. It was some spectacle to say the least. The complex doesn't allow towels to be put down before 9am but people start gathering circa 8.15 and "mark their territory" by throwing their towels down behind the beds, sitting around for nearly forty five minutes before the signal for go-ahead is given by the security guard. He won't allow you to sit on the beds or put towels down before 9am and then suddently there's a mad dash to get the prime spots by the pool. Its a total farce. The complex is primarily occupied by Dutch so the music played and nightly entertainment is mostly in Dutch. If I had known this before going I would have chosen an alternative hotel. Having said that my kids had a great time, however, my personal choice is that I won't be going back."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of August 2007

V. Nice Hotel!

"Me and my boyfriend have just returned from our week stay at the Sol Barbacan. We were VERY impressed with the room, in fact the whole hotel was nice. Maids come in every single day to change towels and give floors a good clean. Room was well equipped with aircon (which you can adjust youself), microwave, hobs, fridge/freezer, kettle, toaster, coffee maker.
A couple of things to remember- aircon only works when the patio door is properly shut and your room card is in the electricty slot by the door. We thought ours didn't work at first, but realised the sensor on the door was very sensitve and the door was not properly shut.
The fridge- number 7 is cold and 1 is warmer, not the other way round.
The pool area was great, no troubles getting a sunbed anytime of the day.
Only thing I would say about entertainment if you are taking young children, don't rely on it as by what we saw it looked rubbish!
Weather was very hot the whole week, 30's.
We found a cockroach in the shower when we arrived, but that was the one and only one we saw thank goodness.
Breakfast buffet is quite nice, we also tried the dinner buffet, also quite acceptable. For some slightly more upmarket places to eat, the seafront at Maspolomas is lovely.

If you are going to aqualand the water park INVEST IN SOME CHEAP RUBBER FLIP FLOPS! The heat of the ground is unbareable in places and terrain is very rough. I ended up cutting my foot."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of July 2007

Quality as ever

Good

"Just got back from our 3rd stay at the Barbacan everything great as ever, breakfast, rooms, staff all first rate, the only thing as the another review noted is there seemed to be more noise in the mornings which is annoying after a late night.
Wont stop us from returning though!"

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of February 2007

Very good - but a bit noisy

Good

"We booked here based on the previous reviews, and were happy overall with the stay. The "apartment" was spacious, clean, and had a well equipped kitchen and stylish bathroom.

The only caveat (for us) was the noise from traffic, rooms above, and the pool area first thing in the morning. I guess we did tend to stay out late though, so could be particularly sensitive during our attempted lie-in!

It's probably useful to note that a car park is available if you're renting a car, and a key for the entry barrier can be obtained on paying a deposit to reception. Ditto for the key to the in-room safe.

Staff were unfailingly pleasant and efficient, and the breakfast buffet excellent."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of January 2007

excellent accomodation

Good

"great stay here in july.stayed in a 2bed bungalow-fab.air conditioning great,(bedrooms only) as it was v-hot.cleaner/fresh towels 7 days a week (lucy) did an excellent job every day.family end of playa so no lager louts.mostly Dutch and Germans staying here which meant our kids didnt make friends because of the language problem.sol entertainment ok .lovely restaurants nearby(el duke across the road).choice of places to go at night-yumbo shopping centre with selection of restaurants(torro on top floor)-playa d ingles beach promenade,(roma the best)-faro and faro2 in maspalomas.aquasur waterpark great day out.go-carting in st augustin.playa d ingles beach for waves and maspalomas beach for calm waters.easy to get to everywhere,never more than 6 euro return including tip.
yes:we will come back."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of August 2006

Best Accomadation in Playa Del Ingles

"Senor Prada and his staff run the best hotel we've had the pleasure of staying in. (Galway city, Ireland)"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of July 2006

GREAT

"Stayed here for 3 weeks and coudn't fault it once. I have been to Gran Canaria 6 times and this is the best accommodation I've stayed in by far."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of June 2006

Best Hotel in Playa

Good

"This must be the best Hotel in the Playa area. Clean, spacious, bright and airy.
All the facilites of an apartment with bedroom, lounge, bath and kitchen but all the facilities of a four+ star hotel.

Just across the road from the Jumbo Centre so its ideal for gay travellers in terms of situation etc. Also gay friendly (although many straight visitors appreciate the hotel which is hard to beat!) Not that far from Beach (walking distance ) and taxi is very cheap anyway.

Stayed here on four occasions now (7 weeks in total) and always very high standards.

Have used other accommodation in Playa, some 5 star, but never found anything to beat Sol Barbacan, not even close!

Very large and well furnished balcony on every occasion we have been.
(more private if above ground floor).

Hotel food (we only usually have breakfast here) is first rate. However lunch time snacks were good and well presented. We tend to eat out each evening as there are many restaurants in the area and good value. (Great Indian nearby).

Beach here is the best anywhere I have been.

Pool area is spotless and rarely gets full, many sunbeds etc However, you can easily lounge in the sun on the balcony as most are sun filled for most of the day and the sun beds on the balcony are good.

If you want high quality accommodation, prefer a hotel where the accommodation provides you with your own large lounge and is first rate in every respect you will not do better than this hotel. (Beds are comfy too).

Book and enjoy."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of June 2006

Heaven

Good

"Do not really want to tell you all about this heaven on earth place.
If you go there you will not find a palce like it.
It is like a home from home.
80% Dutch customers so you have to be prepaired for that.
I come from Ireland so we mix well!
The apartments are spacious and have got all your needs.
The hotel is is built in a C formation overlooking the great pool and the jacuzi.
It has the feel of a five star hotel and bar,dining room ,food are excellent.
Dont book early as I need to get my bookings in first.
Have not found a holliday hotel to compair with it on the Islands or in Spain,portugal,Turkey,Mallorca ect.,
Great for kids as it is very safe.
The bungalows are well equipped and are very clean.
Lots to do and shops are near.
The beach is a bit away but the taxi is only 5 Euro.
love it."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of July 2005

Exellent apt hotel

"just returned from this fantastic 4 star residence, which definatley desreves the 4 stars!! great aprtemtn with large lounge, bderoom and bathroom. spotlessly clean and maintained thorughout our stay with fresh towles and linen. great staff in all depts.
will definatley be returning "

• Travel date: Fri 16th of April 2010

Four Star accomodation

"I have stayed at the Sol Barbacan for a 3 weeks stay for the last 5 years.
It is the only 4 star aparthotel on Gran Canaria and deserves the award. Earlier comments about lack of fluency in the English language from Reception staff are totally out of order from my experience!!! ALL staff on reception are FLUENT in more than one language - with English being one of those languages.

Facilities are great and of a very high standard too.

If you are thinking of a trip to Playa Del Ingles soon then think of the Sol Barbacan - you won't be disappointed."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of May 2009

Hotels near Sol Barbacan Hotel

Stayed at Sol Barbacan Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Sol Barbacan Hotel

• merry58 by merry58

"go you wont be disapointed "

Sol Barbacan Hotel is also called