SENTIDO Gran Canaria Princess

Avenida Gran Canaria 18 Playa del ingles, 35100 Playa del Ingles, Maspalomas, Gran Canaria Spain

Great hotel!!

Good

"My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for two weeks in June 2007. The hotel is very clean and tidy. The food was great, different types of food every night, the only thing to remember when you go is to remind the men that they have to wear long trousers. We didn't know this, which was a shame!

There is a fridge in the room, but you have to pay around €35 fir two weeks to hire it! I thought that was a bit silly! The rooms are clean and very confortable for two people. When you arrived we had a bottle of bubbly and another when it was my boyfriend's birthday! That was very nice of the hotel to do that.

The pool is great and there are ALWAYS sunbeds, so you don't have to get up at 7am just to get one! Even if you go to the pool at lunch time you can find a good place. You are given pool towels at the beginning of your stay and get a free voucher to change them and then you have to pay about 1 euro to change them again, I thought this wasn't too bad, it saved my carrying out towels in my suit case.

The entertainment in the evening was great! The staff that run it were great and bring the crowds in.

Great hotel would go back again! Great for couples, young or older and great for families!"

• Travel date: Sun 8th of July 2007

A Great Holiday!

"My girlfriend and I stayed at the Gran Canaria Princess in June 2007 and had a wonderful time. The hotel staff were welcoming and efficient and the facilities were good. However, don't be lured by the talk of a gym because this is merely a room with wall bars and is used for the kids club during the day. Also I'd recommend taking your own tennis/table tennis equipment because you have to pay to use the hotel's (not expensive) and it's not the best quality. The pool and surrounding area are excellent and there are loads of sun loungers available. As for the rooms ours was large and looked out over the hotel's crazy golf course and you could see the sea in the backdrop. The bed was huge and really comfortable and the bathroom was large and with good furnishings. In all I thought the hotel was great and close to most of the commercial centres. The food was good as well and I was pleasantly surprise by the array of good food for a buffet arrangement. A word of advice to finish - the croissants for breakfast are freshly baked and incredible!! I would certainly go back to the Gran Canaria Princess."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of July 2007

great holiday

"we went for my birthday in june the waether was great and the hotel was very good lots to eat very clean rooms cleaned every day /fresh towels all the time would devo go back to the canaria princess david brian blackpool"

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of June 2007

Highly recommended

Good

"Will keep the review simple and to the point.

Stayed at this hotel in mid-April 2007.

The weather was in the high 80s but a little chilly/breezy until 11am each morning.

The hotel is definitely a good 4 star and only a few mins stroll from the resort centre. So good that Thomson have given it a Platinum rating and deservedly so.

Food at all meal times was excellent and varied daily. We went half board but B&B would have been ample as there's plenty of supermarkets and restaurant choice outside and good value.

There was ample room around the pool and spotlessly clean. Free pool/beach towels are supplied in your room and a hairdryer for the ladies. The room was cleaned daily and was of a good standard. There's also a safe, TV and fridge.

Only down-side to the hotel was the elevators, they were too small (only taking 4 adults) and not enough of them either (3 only). Forget waiting for a lift at meal times as it's quicker to walk up/down stairs. I even saw an incident were a new arrival in a wheel chair wouldn't fit - be aware.

Other than this, the hotel, location and day/nightlife are very satisfying.

Would go back definitely."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of April 2007

Fantastic holiday

"We have just returned from a 2 weeks stay at the Gran Canaria Princess. The pool area was great, plenty of beds and umbrellas and you didnt have to get up at the crack of dawn to secure one unless you wanted a favourite place. The hotel was nice and clean and the staff were friendly. The food was ok if you liked fish and veal. The down side was there was always a queue to go in the restaurant. but we never had to wait more than 5 minutes, it was just annoying. The lifts were a problem so my advice is try and get a lower floor and walk down the stairs. Some nights the entertainment was good and other nights not so good, you just choose what suits you. There was a fridge in the room but you had to pay about £20 for two weeks to hire the key. The area surrounding is very built up and the beach is a good mile away but the nice thing is the taxis are very cheap and plentiful, just a few euros will get you back to the hotel from the beach. There are lots of bars and "Irish bars" around, the best one we found for music and a good night out was Dunes and Tunes with Archie from Co. Clare with his guitar and he makes you very welcome. To get to it you walk down to the beach go down the steps and its right on the beach front. Depending on the crowd you get in you can have a lovely night, but when we were there every night was a good night. If you want to eat out we would suggest the Barbados Restaurant, first class food and service and a free liquer at the end. The Barbados Restaurant is just a couple of doors away from the Randy Leprechaun which is not too far away from Yumbo Centre. We had a lovely time at the Gran Canaria Princess and would like to go back to Gran Canaria again but next time we may try another Princess hotel perhaps the one in Maspalomas."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of March 2007

More for the oldies and Germans methinks!

"We got back from the GCP last Thursday. I was quite surprised at the price of the holiday seeing as it was February and we only booked it about 2.5 weeks beforehand! Overall I didn't really think we got a great deal (paid about £1100 for two of us for 7 days with Thomson) but hey ho!

I was actually ill all week so I didnt get to experience as much of the island's offerings as I'd hoped. The weather was surprisingly nice for February, it was hot but not too hot....just the way I like it!

Playa Del Ingles is actually a nice place, certainly not a 'grotty hole' as someone desribed it although I have seen better places. There are lots of 'shopping centres' dotted about but to be honest most are full of the same tourist tat! Beware of the miserable 'ahem' people who work in the shops - they dont seem to like tourists (even though they probably wouldn't have much of a roof over their head if it wasnt for us!).

Thomson offer these trips they call 'highlights'. We went on the VIP cruise on the 'Supercat' catamaran. If I hadn't been ill AND sea sick it would had been great! The catamaran sails along the coast towards Tenerife and you can sunbathe on the top deck, use the hot tub below or sit at tables on the lower deck. You get a lovely meal included (meat, potato and salad) and there's a free bar. It was quite pricey though, just under 60 euros each i think. But it was nice.

We went out to the Kasbah area one night which I believe is the place to be if you want clubs and pubs etc, try the Irish Karaoke bar there, we had a really good night. The thing we found annoying was you couldn't walk two paces there without being pestered by promotions staff pestering you to go in their bar.

THE HOTEL..... The hotel does seem quite upmarket with the marble and gold fittings everywhere but in a very dated kind of way! The whole place just looks tired and the decor is very confused - they seriously need to update their interior design skills, especially in the rooms! Our room was ok, but some things were just a little shabby. The bathroom was very nice and posh, but the decor in the room was very dated and everything clashed, a little uneasy on the eye shall we say! There were these awful tacky lamps of white horses heads, and one bedside one had no bulb and had been broken and shoddily stuck back together with a lump of brown putty....hmmm nice.

We didnt really bother with the evening entertainment as its not really our thing and nothing on the board looked very interesting. I think it;s more for older people and children / families.

The pool was lovely although very cold! Took me about 3 hours to get in. Sunbeds were always available....stacks of them. Plenty of choice as to where to put them too!

The food we thought was great, although I did think the choice was a little limited compared to what I have seen before. There were slightly different choices every night but most things got repeated quite often, a little tedious. Waiters quite friendly, but you could SO tell they were just after your tips! We gave one a tip of about 6 euros one night and you should have seen the grin on his face....he was a very happy little bunny.

There seemed to be a hell of alot of Germans staying in the hotel, just an observation! I would recommend this hotel to older couples and maybe families too. But I don't think its the best place for younger singles/couples.

Oh and the airport is terrible....someone needs to explain to them what COMMUNICATION means!"

• Travel date: Sat 17th of February 2007

lovely hotel

"just got back last night from this hotel. lovely rooms modernised with good sized bathroom, nice balcony overlooking the sea, we had no problems with the lifts as we had seen on other reviews but was busy at certain times for dinner. clean towels everyday and bed sheets, it was my birthday over there and had a bottle of sparkling wine in an ice bucket waiting for us when we got back from the pool. the pool area was well thought out loads of sunbeds no matter what time of day you wanted any they were always there, pool bar was good and staff were really helpful throughout the hotel. food was ok some nights were a little dissapointing not much choice like all the other princess hotels we have stayed in. good location many bars around the area and good shopping centres, bus stop out side the hotel which takes you most places and only cost us 3.40 euro each to go to peurto magan which is a must even the ride alone is well worth it , lovely its called the canaria lttle venice, well worth going and only 45 min to get there. taxi rank 2 min awa y from hotel and supermarkets, 10 mins walk to the beach , 3 miles of which is a nudist beach, very windy there.we were amazed how it could be so hot in the day and so cool at night holiday was great, lots of bars all different prices, and good restruants."

• Travel date: Thu 25th of January 2007

Hotel clean. Del Ingles a grotty hole

"Picked this hotel as we needed to fly on a Monday and places to fly to were limited. In the brouchure it looked nice, however when we arrived at 10pm music was blearing out from evening entertainment, which continued ever night until 12pm.
The lifts are ridiculous, 3 lifts to serve such a large hotel meant a long wait to use them at peak times.as they only fit 4 people at a time.
We didn't like the cafeteria style buffet in the hotel basement which was rammed and the food wasn't to our taste, couldn't seem to make a proper meal from any of it.

On the plus side the hotel was very clean, the pool nice and kept clean. They have a nice outdoor bar area and we had a beautiful massage in the salon the therapist is highly reccomended!
I relly don't believe it should be a 4*, there wasn't anything luxury about it!

It was our 1st experiance of Gran Canaria and definately our last, Del Ingles is scruffy, there didn't seem to be any nice bars etc, all cheap and drink as much as you can variety. Cheap bus/taxi fares to nearby Meloneras and Porto Morgan prettier, but in my opinion, fly to Spain or Majorca for much prettier sights, and less flight time."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of January 2007

OK hotel, dreadful holiday company!

"We stayed 4 nights at the Gran Canaria Princess arriving on 28 Dec. Having visited Gran Canaria before, we were looking forward to staying in what was billed as "a premium 4 star hotel". Having being promised (and no doubt paid extra) for being a platinum Thomson guest, we were promised either 1st of 2nd coach drop-off, platinum lounge for our exclusive use and the VIP treatment. WHAT A JOKE!! We weren't 2nd drop off, we were 4th and the platinum lounge was a tent. Not so great.
Overall though I though this hotel was OK. Our room was spacious, clean and comfy. The hotel is also non-smoking which is a delight. The piano lounge is OK with waiters though the furniture is tired and old and could do with an update. The happy hour "BOGOF" between 5pm - 6pm was well utilised. The sun loungers weren't a problem for us but the sunny areas were full well before 10am and in peak season I can imagine this can be a problem. Unfortunately the 3 lifts to the hotel are a joke and if you get one, your luckier then what we were. After waiting for 10 mins after check-in with only rude people who didn't seem to grasp the idea of "wait in que", we gave up and lugged our luggage up the stairs. They don't serve the hotel well and I can imagine it being a real problem for those who couldn't do what we did.
The food in the restaurant was OK. Remember that gentleman must wear long trousers at dinner which is a fair enough rule if advised before hand!! Surely a simple paragraph in the brochure would be enough but not according to Thomson who said "in a high standard hotel like this, we do not expect to tell guests, they should be expected to know". Yeah whatever... by the way yellow cotton tracksuits, brown sandals and white socks (worn together) are wholly acceptable. Anyways, back to the food, some days were better then others. The salads were lovely and the breakfast always good. At dinner, you could wait 10 mins for your drink. We experienced no ques with dinner or breakfast.
The beach is a good 15 min walk down the hill but is worth a visit. The Irish Centre and Kazbah are a 5 mins walk. Everything in walking distance .
I may return to the hotel again but only if Thomson "Platinum" promise not to be there. Would I return to Gran Canaria again? Without doubt I would."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of January 2007

dated hotel with a nice pool and good evening entertainment

"stayed at this hotel for a week and enjoyed the holiday, never been to gran canaria before and although we had a nice time not sure if i'd go back. too much of a british drinking culture. the hotel was dated to an extent - the rooms were comfy and spacious but the decor of the hotel and general maintenance needed to be looked at. the pool is large and well kept, you need to get up early to get a lounger however, although with miles of beach and maspolamos dunes 5 mins away there isnt much point staying in the hotel all day. the evening entertainment is very good and varied. queues for the food hall at peak times make it a pain, food is really good though. if you get a chance go to the water park, the best i have been to. in general a good hotel but not sure of 4 star rating. 3 star at best at times. pool and crazy golf available. any question please email"

• Travel date: Mon 1st of January 2007

flies every where

"This hotel was beautiful comfy and clean,,, however the food in the restaurant was covered in flies, about 10 flies on each plate of food, every morning and again at dinner, The safe and fridge were chargeable, already paid a premium to stay here, 4 euros a day for both, The lifts were always full an took quite too long. The service in the restaurant t was inconsistent with no tab,es laid up on arrival, some days and nights I was offered a drink other nights i wa ignored or offered after i had finished. The beds were comfortable! However sleep was disturbed by knocking maids at 8 am and slamming doors through out the night, i liked the hotel but flies crawling all over the food was not acceptable flies spread disease and feed on waste from animals. The hotel did nothing to control this,, the pool was supposed to be heated but wasn't, the sun loungers were sparse, "

• Travel date: Sat 21st of November 2015

gastronomic delight!

"had a wonderful family holiday at this hotel,great food,amazing drinks...all free!spirits in double measures,cocktails and alcohol free cocktails for the kids especially appreciated!3 kinds of ice cream on a help yourself basis kept the children happy! so worth it to go all inclusive,it may seem a lot at first but if you add up all the drinks at 3 euros a glass you have saved a fortune on that alone. the food is so good too,always something for everyone fresh fish,veal ,pork chicken and beef most nights cooked in front of you! desserts were amazing....almond ice cream,fresh strawberry gateax,tiramisu,.........breakfast was fried eggs again cooked to order,bacon,various sausages and too many bread rolls to list,cereals and fruit juice,coffee,yoghurt and abundant fresh fruit!if you cant find something you like to eat here you must be fussy!the chef will accomodate special diets.we are going back in august,,,cant wait!!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 26th of May 2012

Hotels near SENTIDO Gran Canaria Princess

Stayed at SENTIDO Gran Canaria Princess? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for SENTIDO Gran Canaria Princess

• x.glittershock.x by x.glittershock.x

"worth seeing the Gabos show- its a little bit expensive but the show is not 2 be missed!! "

• wee mac by wee mac

"lovely beach and promenade with lots of shops and nice restaurants and bars with entertainment. "

• solskjaer03 by solskjaer03

"great beach but very expensive this year "

• solskjaer03 by solskjaer03

"go to palmitos park, cheap day out but very hot day! "

• sarahliciously by sarahliciously

"Hard Rock Cafe, Aphrodite day cruise, Aqualand, Camel riding "

• the smarts by the smarts

"camel ride maspalomas "

• thefreaks by thefreaks

"see the beach and say no to money grabbers "

• thefreaks by thefreaks

"the beach and yumbo shopping centre "

• BFamily by BFamily

"Loved the water park - well worth a visit. "

• robtrigger by robtrigger

"expensive so would go all inclusive "

• Trunkie by Trunkie

"Puerto Morgan was great and hired car and went to the "highest Point" up Mountains "

• chrissieh by chrissieh

"Irish Bars are good for drinking & food. The beach, some oganized trips & shops "

• Happy guest by Happy guest

"Put out towels before breakfast,be prepared not to diet! "

• smiley by smiley

"Entertainment needs to be upgraded. "

• jackie by jackie

"eat the great food at hotel as it can be expensive elsewhere. "

• DS Taylor by DS Taylor

"All inclusive holiday is the best,and beach is only 15min walk away "

• Jackie A by Jackie A

"stay at hotel the surroundings are very run down "

• petegone by petegone

"go self catering dont eat the food "

SENTIDO Gran Canaria Princess is also called