Seaside Sandy Beach

Avenida Menceyes s/n, 35100 Playa del Ingles, Maspalomas, Gran Canaria Spain

Great luxury hotel

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"We have stayed at this hotel for the last 3 years, although not the cheapest around, it's like finding a peaceful luxury oasis in central Playa del Ingles, allowing you to relax by the pool during the day and still be 5 minutes away from all the nightlife. Also only a 5 minute walk to the beach.
Rooms are clean and well appointed, a high floor pool view room is best
The staff are all polite and welcoming, most of the guests are older German couples, but there is also a good sprinkling of gay travellers, particularly around Pride week in May.
Food quality is excellent, though can become repetitive, and champagne with breakfast is lovely if you can make it up that early!!
All in all a superb hotel, highly recommended!"

• Travel date: Mon 26th of March 2007

ideal location

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"I've just returned from a 7 day break to the hotel sandy beach, playa del ingles gran canary. The hotel is what we expected, with the majority of holiday makers from Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands. There are a few british but i found it a pleasant surprise being a minority for a change. The hotel is german owned and expect the majority of guests to be German.The hotel itself is pleasant, comfortable rooms,pool view. The garden view rooms are restricted with overgrown palm trees. If you travel with children you will most probably aquire a lower floor room which may not to be to your liking. Food on offer excels. A good variety which is elegantly displayed. The only down side is the pool area. If you dont get up early to claim your sunbed you may be disappointed. At times you will find the sunbeds are cramped together so it is advisable to get up early. I Found the hotel to be an ideal location for a seven day break, no more."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of October 2006

Will go again

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We visited at the end of August for 2 weeks this year on an ‘All Inclusive’ (‘Todo Includio’) basis. 75% of the guests are German, most of whom were very friendly.

The pool is heated and very relaxing. There is a water fall, and jacuzzi jets to relax on.

The hotel is a very good one. The food (self service) is fantastic with plenty of choice at breakfast and dinner. Lunch was a little more limited, but still good. The patio has plenty of sun beds and umbrellas but reserving one was difficult at times when the hotel was busy.

The drinks are plentiful with good measures. The staff could be a bit quicker serving you rather than sorting out the admin of the tickets (for AI or clients who were charging to their rooms [no money is exchanged with the waiters]) though.
The pool bar was good with plenty of banter between the guests. The main outside bar could be designed better as it is adjacent to the restaurant and was crowded at dinner time so you had to go inside until dinner was finished.

The room was large and cleaned (very well) daily. We had a ground floor room with a garden and patio and did not face the pool. It consisted of the main bedroom (double bed) with plenty of storage space, a TV with mainly German channels, a large safe (2Euro/day), settee, table and chairs. The patio also had a table and 2 chairs. The bathroom was modern with a shower/bath, sink and toilet. There was also a kitchen with a fridge and oven, but with no kitchen implements apart from 2 glasses.

The evening entertainment was OK but the room is not really suitable for the acts that were on. The day time entertainment was good. There was archery, rifle shooting, darts, French Boules amongst others. There were also children’s games and we noticed a children’s club/crèche room with slide and swings etc.

The resort we found was mainly confined to complexes. The Yumbo was large but is a quite openly ‘Gay’ area. The Kasbah is load and mainly for the younger clubbers. The beach area has plenty of bars and shops. The beach is large and the sand dunes are vast.
You need to watch out for the ‘Scratch Card’ touts. You always win and are whisked away to a hard sell Holiday Club meeting if you are not careful.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Sandy Beach and made lots of friends of many different nationalities. If you want a holiday doing nothing much except relaxing, eating, drinking, reading and sleeping; this is the place to go."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of September 2006

Great Hotel - unless you want to buy a drink!

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"We stayed in the Sandy Beach Hotel for two weeks in August and were pleasantly surprised to see that it was indeed approx 200 metres ( about a 5 minute walk) from the end of the hotel down to the beach front.
We were on a Bed & Breakfast deal although it was obvious that the hotel was geared up for primarily All Inclusive.
They have entertainment most nights and on returning to the hotel one evening, we sat with many others in the outside area, whilst the entertainment was inside - no problem as there were "patio style" doors opening out to the outer area.
Only problem was that they then proceeded to SHUT THE DOORS - meaning the dozen or so tables of guests listening to the entertainment - could no longer hear or see it !

Why - in the height of summer - they don't have the entertainment OUTSIDE - is beyond me! This would satisfy many more of their guests and would allow more people to see the entertainment. When it's inside - you really need to be indoors to be able to see the entertainers.

Next we tried to get a drink - thank gawd we were not dying of thirst. Placed an order with one of the more mature male members of staff and said we would need to pay for it - this itself seemed to be a problem. Ten minutes later we were STILL WAITING. Spoke to another of the waiting staff who then said she would go and get our order. Another 5 to 10 minutes and my patience being stretched. I got up and went over to the back of the bar where I could at least SEE the bottle of wine ordered. Yet another member of staff asked if they could help and I pointed out the bottle of wine. They also disappeared into the back of the restaurant/bar area.
Eventually, I decided to go for broke - went to pick UP the bottle of wine (which was sitting on a tray with 2 glasses). Well at last I had discovered how to get the staff's attention. All of a sudden TWO staff members were able to come over to me and despite suddenly not being able to speak english - they WERE able to deliver my wine to the table.
Basically a great hotel spoiled by inept management of the bar.

Beware that if you pay extra for a pool view (as we did), this may end up being on a lower floor - which faces out onto palm trees - which effectively BLOCK the view of anything ! That said - we spoke to the reception staff as soon as we arrived and they were able to offer us another room (which was no better), but agreed that they could offer us a higher floor room in two days. We followed their suggestion and went along at the appropriate time - and ended up with a 6th flooor room - which DID offer an unrestriceed view of the pool. VERY helpful reception staff including the guy who showed us to our room.

Hotel is also a 5 minute walk from the Hard Rock Cafe and the Yumbo Centre - so location is pretty good."

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of September 2006

Great Hotel.Spoiled by location

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"We planned to take this Holiday away from the August peak, and Glad we did, The Sandy Beach Hotel is an Oasis in an otherwise Highly commercialised Tourist trap.
I think its one of the worst concrete resort's I have visited in many years.

But the Hotel wow!! Rooms , Hotel & Pool spotless. The Food was excellent all thru our stay in fact we couldnt fault any one day as the choice's of meals were perfect, my daughter who's a vegetarian had no troubles at all with the menu's. I had trouble trying to decide what to have! as the choice was extensive.
The Hotel staff couldnt have been more friendley and helpful.
Really had a very very enjoyable stay at the Hotel.

Bad points: not much to moan about Hotel wise,Gym facilities were not up to scratch, much of the equipment was out of order. The two Pool Tables were rubbish, they needed replacing.

Id love to stay again but unfortunately its in the resort of Playa del Ingles.
If you want a typical young resort with loads of life this is the place, we however wanted a somewhat quieter holiday with a little of the traditional Canaries Style which this resort does not seem to provide. as I said we avoided August but the resort is still extremely busy in early July, watch out for the Usual Time share rip off merchants who can be quiet nasty when you finally manage to get rid of them.
I expect we will visit Gran Canaria again but not this resort for sure."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of September 2006

Undecided if you should book a break at the Seaside Sandy Beach?

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"Having just returned from Gran Canaria staying at the Seaside Sandy Beach, we thought we would add our comments to help future prospective guests........so read on.
My partner and me are both in our 30s. Our stay at this hotel was from 7th to the 22nd Aug 2006 on Half board basis.
This hotel is definately 4*, very clean, very modern and totally placed just right for you to enjoy G.C. and Playa del Ingles (near to the Yumbo Centre, Kasbah and beach - no need for taxis)
As we had a late flight arrival there was a platter of cooked meats, bread and fruits etc waiting for us in our room. Our room was well equipt, however for those wanting to watch English TV, it is pretty poor, only Sky News, Eurosport and CNN. All other channels were German or Spanish.
The hotel has a mix of nationalities, German being predominent. Reception staff were excellent and for those of you needing to check the Internet, hotel guests get 50 minutes per day free at the Internet Cafe downstairs, however there is always a bit of a downside to a hotel. This came in the form of the bar staff and organisation at meal times. The bar staff tend to serve other nationalities before the English, however the drinks are quite a bit cheaper than the local bars (most are the ready made type though ie Sangria on tap). The meal time organisation is pretty non-existent. People eat on the patio outside in good weather. You are shown to the next available table and these are mixes of smoking and non-smoking. Also the tables are cramped and you feel like you are sitting on the lap of the stranger next to you! Beware if you get the host who looks like Rene's wife in Allo Allo, she doesnt speak English and does not care where she seats you! However, if the blonde host shows you to a table you get to choose where you sit.
Overall, a great location for a hotel (better than our initial choice of the Gran Canaria Princess). The positives outweigh the negatives and we had a great holiday."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of September 2006

Had a lovely stay, BUT....................!!!!

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"we have just returned from a 2week stay at "sandy beach", first impressions when we arrived were breath taking but straight away we had problems. we had paid to upgrade to a superior room but we had been given a standard room, we did the usual trip down to reception only to be fobbed off with an excuse of that when we booked our travel agent asked if we would like a pool view obviously we said yes and this was the hotels reason for not giving us what we had paid for, as the superior rooms all had a sea view. we wasnt meeting our rep until the following day so decided not to unpack in case we moved, then popped up the next problem of us waiting over 1hour for our welcome meeting only to find the rep did not turn up at all. we then unpacked and started the holiday. i must add our problem with our room was solved 12 days into our holiday when we eventually had our welcome meeting with a new rep ha ha! we were given some of the money back we had paid to upgrade so had a well deserved night out. our opinions of the hotel are as follows.........

ROOMS - very nice and clean, the cleaner came every day to tidy up even the dirty washing we had left on the floor was re folded and left in a pile. fresh towels left every day and the toilet was disinfected daily, only problem was we had the same bedding on for the whole 2weeks, we know this as the dirty mark on the duvet from our suitcase wheels was still there when we left. very spacious room for 2people but if you have 2 children it can be a tight squeeze as they just stick 2 extra beds wherever they can. we had no problem with noise but then again we were a little worse for wear most nights.

POOL - very nice and warm as heated, you did have to get up around 7am though to get a sunbed near the pool which i found annoying after the first few days. the pool bar is ideal if there was ever anyone serving, you could only get the basic of drinks there and did have to wait for the happy waiter to come back from re-stocking or collecting glasses from the pool area all of the time.

FOOD - 100%, one word and that is Excellent! the food variety was brilliant always something for everyone. we had all things from fresh squid, salmon, tuna to roast beef and even half a crispy duck. the salad bar was great and they have about 10 different types of fresh bread. champagne was on tap for breakfast, eggs bacon and even fried pancakes potatoes with peppers! desserts did all seem bland and a bit sloppy but we were usually too full to eat them. the ice cream was available all day every day but be warned the ice creams in the pool bar are not free but nobody tell you that until you go to pay your bill and the end of your stay.

BAR - a huge selection of all inclusive drinks but they are not the real mc'coy it is cheap versions of all spirits, the cocktails were tasty but took forever to be made. our first night we were drinking pints of vodka and cola light but be prepared to wait, wait and wait even longer. some times it could take up to half an hour to recieve your drinks, guest were talking about the hotel doing this on purpose to save on there stock. they only have one bar man serving in the bar salon and maybe 2 serving outside on the terrace, they were very friendly but slow with it. it did seem to be a big problem and everyone could be heard moaning.

ENTERTAINMENT - we had a big problem with this, we saw the same female singer for the 14 nights we were there and believe me the repetitive songs were extremely boring after this time. for an all inclusive 4star hotel were the guests stay in every night as they have paid for there drinkd already the enterteinment was very poor. we did have a few good shows including 2 acrobat brothers and a drag show but apart from that we found ourselves getting bored and going elsewhere for a bit of an atmosphere!
daytime entertainment was good always got the big boys up to play archery or french boules.

LOCATION - you are in the middle of everything, shops bars and restaurants a very good location.

overall we had a lovely stay and this is a lovely hotel with only a few moans and groans, i would recommend this hotel but personally would not return again."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of August 2006

Very hard to rate this one

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"We stayed here for 15 nights at the end of July on an all Inclusive basis. We booked the hotel directly and flights through thomas cook. I'm not sure if this was any cheaper but we need flights on particular days and times. The hotel has many plus points as well as minus ones. Let's deal with the plus points first. The food is Great. They always have something that even the fussiest of children can enjoy...namely chips...during my 2 week stay they only had salmon once for breakfast. So I think that has changed since a post previous to this one. The sparkling wine is always there though. The pools are good and very warm. I never did ask but it seemed heated but it could just be the sun?! Staff (apart from some of the reception staff) are excellent. When not busy they always had a chat with us and played with the kids. Very friendly. We got an apartment room which was nice and cleaned well. On my birthday my kids got me some balloons and cards. When we got back in the evening the hotel had given us a bottle of sparking wine and a card. Nice touch I thought. We ordered a limo to pick us up from the airport and that was good.

Cons. The hotel, due to the location, can get very noisy at night time on a Friday and Saturday. We were kept uptil about 5am from a hotel near by with people partying by the pool. Greeting at reception was very poor when we arrived. Yes we did get there in the early hours but we booked a cab through the hotel and they knew what time we were coming. I do not think that is an excuse. The person kept tutting and saying the room is not ready. Bar service is extremely poor! In the evenings we would order drinks at 10pm, whilst watching the show, and the drinks would not turn up until 10:30. To get served in the first place was taking approx 45 mins at times. On Sunday everything is more or less shut. So it does not make sense to me why the entertainment team also has that day off? Shows are 4 times per weeks. The miniclub is not very good. They only have a minidisco twice a week and sometimes they have no kids entertainment during the day because there is only 1 person and they are doing the adult entertainment. Although I think we made good use of the all-inclusive, only cheap drinks were included. They had a seperate menu and the drink choice was limited. We found ourselves having to get up at 6am to get sun loungers near the baby pool! I've not had to get up this early before on holiday. There are not enough loungers to go around. With many people at 11am finding themselves with out anywhere to put there stuff except for on the floor.

The location is great next to the beach and next to Yumbo and Kasbah.

We really enjoyed Playa Del Ingles. Yes there are a few people that hassle but a quick 'no thanks' and they leave you be. The drag shows at the yumbo centre are funny with alot of swearing etc...maybe not suitable if you have young kids. We went to Palmitos Park and that was good.

This holiday is hard to guage. Did I enjoy it? Yes but waking up at 6am made it exhausting. Noise was a problem. Food was great and never boring. Drinks and the service for the drinks and reception was bad...all other service was great. Would I stay here again..probably not...would I recommend it...honestly..I'm not sure that I would for family's but couples probably. Maybe this is a hotel to stay at when it's not too crowded."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of August 2006

Great hotel - hate play del ingles

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"I hated playa del ingles. It's a tourist trap. I was here a few years ago and the city changed completely, noisy bars, everything outdated... commercial..old...unclean.

The Hotel however made my holiday. Just perfect. Servic, rooms, facilities. Great 4 hotel. Everythinh well kep and cleaned. Friendly staff and great restaurant. Best buffet I had in years. Very good choice and very tasteful.

Nice well equiped rooms."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of March 2006

Excellent 'get away from it all'

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"Having had a hectic 2005, my husband and I needed to get away for a complete break. We couldn't have picked a better hotel. Most of the people there were German, which was great for us - it meant we didn't have to make conversation with others as we just wanted to completely chill.
The staff were very friendly and helpful - we were late arriving at the hotel (11.30pm) as our flight had been delayed, and the hotel had put a cold meal in our room - along with the usual complimentary fruit.
We were on half-board basis and cannot praise the food enough - all you can eat buffet at breakfast and dinner - extremely good quality food, e.g. smoked salmon at breakfast, with help-yourself sparkling white wine so you could make Bucks Fizz if you wanted! At dinner you could have had sirloin steak every night if you so desired. There was so much choice that you could have had a different meal every day and still not tried all the food there was on offer. There is an all-inclusive option, but I don't think we would have been able to take advantage of it fully as we didn't need lunch, except fruit due to the lovely breakfasts! The bar prices were also very reasonable and there was entertainment in the evenings if you wished to take advantage of it.
The room was spacious and the decor excellent - we were lucky enough to be given a sea-view. All in all a first class hotel - although Playa del Ingles isn't the kind of resort we would usually go to!"

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of February 2006

Outstanding

Reviewed Mon 25th of April 2016

"I just finished a six day stay at Sandy Beach. It ranks as the top experience in hotels stays. The staff is friendly, helpful and constantly seeking ways to make your stay more enjoyable. The food served is unbelievable in quality. The facility immaculate and constantly being maintained. I would and will go back there without hesitation."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of April 2016

Third visit and will return

Reviewed Mon 12th of September 2011

"We travelled in August,and booked a pool view room for 3 adults, our daughter is 17. This is our 3rd visit and we thought the hotel improves with each visit. The food is excellent with a majority of it cooked fresh in front of you. Such as pancakes, omelette, fried eggs, bacon at breakfast, a variety of fresh fish including salmon, king prawns, coley, sole and meats such as sirloin steak, chops, kebabs, sausages at lunch and dinner. There is also a carvery in the evening with beef, pork, veal, chicken, duck and rabbit. You can have champagne and fresh salmon and parma ham at breakfast. There is a selection of desserts and ice cream is available nearly all day. If you still feel hungry! you can have hot waffles and cake by the pool in the afternoon. There is a strict dress code in the evenings.
The drinks are very good with a wide variety included in the all inclusive. The drinks are waiter service in the dining area and in the evening so no queueing.
The staff are very professional and helpful, especially Ursula and Eva. All of the staff were very friendly and courteous.
There is a pool towel service, the towels cost 10 euro deposit which is returned at the end of your holiday.
The tvs were being upgraded to flat screens whilst we were there. The tv channels were sky sports 1, sky news, 5 usa, and a few other news channels.There is also free wifi.
We had a massage which was very good.
A very good 4 star all inclusive, with high standards.I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Travel date: Sat 10th of September 2011

Hotels near Seaside Sandy Beach

Stayed at Seaside Sandy Beach? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Seaside Sandy Beach

• Casablanca by Casablanca

"Get at least a partially inclusive deal. You can't beat the price and quality. "

Seaside Sandy Beach is also called