Occidental Margaritas

Avenida Gran Canaria 38-40 38-40, 35100 Playa del Ingles, Maspalomas, Gran Canaria Spain

Good
1973

Great value for money

Good

"This was a first for me, booking the plane and hotel directly and separately via the web rather than through a high street travel agent. I used TripAdvisor to choose which hotel would be best suited and I have to say, i'm glad I did. My partner and I booked the Apartments Barcelo Las Margaritas which is situated about a 5 minute walk away from the Yumbo and Gran Chapparal Centres.

The apartments are very clean and spacious with a living area, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and large balcony. The bedroom has twin beds with a large wardrobe and plenty of coathangers. There is also a telephone in this room. The bathroom has a bath, shower, wash basin, toilet, hair dryer and shaving socket. The kitchen has a microwave, fridge with freezer compartment, electric cooker (two rings), kettle, coffee maker and plenty of cutlery. There is also a large storage room next to the kitchen for suitcases, etc. The free aircon control is located here. The living room has a sofa-bed, free satellite tv (5 English channels CNN, BBC World, TCM, Eurosport and Sky News), and mini bar (on request). The balcony is huge with a table and chairs and a good view (we were on the 4th floor).

If you book directly you can add breafast for about 50 pounds more per room per week, which is well worth it. Breakfast is served between 07.30 and 10.30 in the hotel building and is a buffet, which is very fresh. All types of breakfasts are catered for and you can visit as much as you want. The chefs are also in the room cooking fresh bacon, eggs, omlettes etc.

One minus point was that the gym was closed for the duration of our visit, but the hotel arranged use of other hotel gyms. Of the two main pools, the one near the hotel is more prone to shade. The one near the Apartments has more sunshine. There wasn't any problems getting a free sun lounger. This may be because the hotel runs a regular free bus to Playa Del Ingles and Maspalomas beaches.

If you like shopping it is worth visiting the shops near the Maspalomas lighthouse, they are much more upmarket than the ones in Playa Del Ingles, but are still quite cheap. If you want to visit the Water Park, Palmitos Park or Las Palmas, the bus stops are on the nearby Avenue Tirijana. Taxis are quite cheap, costing about 4 or 5 Euros to go to the water park or Maspalomas.

On your day of departure you can ask reception if you can pay to keep your room until you leave. This cost 25 Euros, but is worth it if you have a later flight. A taxi to/from the airport costs around 30 Euros. Be aware that a huge carnival and parade takes place at the beginning of March. This can be fun, but possibly overwhelming if you don't like crowds."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of March 2006

Really liked it

"My boyfriend, his parents and I stayed here over the holidays and into the new year. I agree that it is a little worn but nothing that makes a difference seeing that the property was kept very clean!
I loved that the apartments/suites had a kitchen, living room, closets, bathroom (which looked updated and were very clean)and seperate bedroom (yes, 2 twin beds were put together.) The balconies were so large that it was like an extra room. We loved that there were grocery stores nearby so that we could make our own coffee and toast in the morning. We never ate at the hotel but usually took a 2 minute cab ride to the beach promenade and sat and had sangria and shrimp everyday. We would then leave around 5, go and take a nap and then out again for dinner.Harry's was right around the corner and had great inexpensive food and beer. The parents were in their 70's and we are in our 30's, so we didn't do any hard partying but we easily could have. The weather does get a bit chilly and I should have brought warmer clothes. Also, watch out for the mountains!! We rented a car and took a ride through the countryside (mountains) and once you start driving there is no turning around because the roads are very narrow and steep! I was frightened. So beware. It was a really great vacation, I am from the US and it was a treat to come this way. Also, very few Americans, very European."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of March 2006

Didn't want to Leave!!

"Me and 3 Friends stayed at the Barcelo. We had a great time!! The apartment was clean and tidy. The bedroom was big with a new kitchen and large bathroom. You can use both swimming pools (the apartments and the hotel) They are both lovely. We used the Apartment pool which is smaller and for a younger crowd. The bigger pool is full of young kids which is great if your on a family holiday but not a ---- up with the girls!!

The pool bar didn't have much of a varity of snacks but they food was lovely. i had a steak sandwich everyday!! and the pizza and burger is great too!! it was all lovely actually!! and they served beer form 10am!!

We were out every night and the main centre is about a 30 minute walk but you may as well get a cab becuase it won't be more than about 2 Euro's!! The Bars and Clubs are great. I recomend going down to the English centre. Scandic and Hypadromme are the best but once you have brought a drink you can just stand in the middle because its in a big cirle and its so hot, its nice to be outside. The bar crawls are also good. Very cheap and such a laugh. The Irish centre is good too. Very Cheap Beer!! i must warn you though, DO NOT let the african women stop and talk to you. they tie something around your wrist without you noticing and when they ask for money they steal your purse. They are very quick so stay away from them and also in the back streets black prostitutes lurk so becarful when walking home.

I spent 2 weeks here and loved it. i was sad to leave. i actually cried!! I did meet my boyfriend there though!! and we're still together and going to the carribian in May!! He spent a week there (which was on our 2nd Week!) and he loved it too! He was there with 5 mates and they loved it too.

I really would recommend this place. I'd also go to the water park which isn't very far. you have to get a cab there but will only cost about 5 euros. Also if you come out of where the appartments, turn right and walk down the road, when you come to the end there is a round about, across from there (be careful on the roads!) Is a small cafe/bar that has an excellent view. It over looks loads of the island and the sand dunes. Its beautiful!!

we only went to the beach once because it was quite far from the hotel but its nice. Lots of nice places to eat and shops there.

ten out of ten!!"

• Travel date: Wed 1st of March 2006

Great Holiday

Good

"Hotel is wonderful, very clean, the gardens are lovely, we stayed in the Hotel but used the swimming pool at the apartments as it was heated and a little bigger. Room was lovely and clean and a good size, we rented the safe in the room and was a very reasonable cost at about 8 euros for the week. Cannot comment much on the hotel entertainment as we only saw bits of it as there was so much to do around and about. We went down the yumbo centre which is about 5-10 minutes walk away, fantastic area, we went in February and the whole island wasnt over busy but there was still plenty to do. The food in the hotel was good."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of February 2006

What a disappointment

"Just arrived back after staying at the Las Margaritas for a week. Very disappointing to say the least, the rooms are shabby and the general appearance of the hotel is grubby and in need of decoration and repair. I can honestly say we have stayed in better 3 star hotels and this definitely isn't a 4 star hotel in my opinion.

If you go out of summer season, take a coat because there is no heating of any kind in the hotel and they keep the doors open downstairs - very chilly!

The only good points are, the buffet food in the restaurant is quite good with plenty of choice and the entertainment programme was very good.

Overall a big disappointment!"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of February 2006

Loved it!

"Best of the self catering places that me and my other half have stayed. We usually stay at the Sunwing in the royal rooms (which are great if ya can get em!) The self catering is brill...all you need.. toaster kettle, microwave, hob, loads of cutlery n plates etc. Massive balcony overlooking pool, we had no noise, the air con worked a treat, the place was really clean. Im really fussy at hotels/self catering and always use this site or holidaysuncovered.co.uk and they have always helped me choose the best places to stay. Courtesy bus to beach was every hour. Never ventured into the main hotel so cannot comment on food or entertainment. Word of warning to those with kids..the balcony on the self catering side was quite low. Apart from that, I have already booked twice for this year. Cant wait for sunwing to reopen tho! Best place!"

• Travel date: Sun 15th of January 2006

Great Hotel

"We visited this hotel in December 04 to January 05. This hotel is superb and well recommended by us. The room are exceptional!! Clean and just lovely!! The hotel itself is fabulous. The entrance lobby is quite breathtaking with a large marble floor and lounge area, with many couches which are great if waiting for a taxi or coach.
The hotel has two pools. There is a small one that is clean but quite shaded, you have to move around with the sun!! There is a larger pool towards the rear hotel which was also clean and not as shaded.
Regular entertainment throughout the day for adults as well as children. Evening entertainment was quite good which incliuded many varied shows. There is also a pianist and live singer in the bar area which was more to the older holidayers taste. The hotel also has a disco bar which opens when the shows have ended.
Food in the hotel in 10/10. can not fault it at all. There is just so much to choose from.
The only downfall with this hotel is its location from the beach. You would need to walk about 20-25 minutes to get to the beach. however, taxi's are always available from reception and cost about 3 euros!!
We would definatley return to this hotel if we was to return to playa del ingles, for certain!!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of January 2006

Best Holiday of my life

"Only went for a week from 12th to 19th of December, Hotel was very clean and was cleaned regularly to a high standard. It was situated in a great place, only 5-10 mins walk from two comercial centres, Gran Chaperral and Yumbo Centre. The only place it was too far away from was the beach but the hotel run a courtesy bus to there anyway so that problem was solved. There was always plenty to do when at the hotel, it had 2 swimming pools, Bars by the swimming pools, Sand Pitch thing which had nets and could be used for either football or volleyball, next to this was a tennis court, mini golf was next to that and then a gym aswell. We never ran out of things to do. Hotel staff were friendly and always keen to help. Only downside was food but that is only because I am picky but even then i found something to eat. Great place for families and for couples with plenty of night time entertainment.

I would definately go again."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of December 2005

Very mediocre

"We stayed for a week at the end of October 2005 and having stayed at other hotels in this chain, was quite disappointed. The location of the hotel isn't great and feels more like a city centre hotel rather than a holiday hotel. I have nothing in particular to complain about but equally there's nothing to rave about either. Overall a very mediocre experience."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of November 2005

Would stay again

"We were initially disappointed when we arrived at the hotel as the main block and pool was closed for refurbishment, so we were put in the self catering block on a half board basis. We met many guests who had stayed previously at the hotel and were disappointed with this situation. We did not have any evening entertainment and it was very quiet in the hotel, which was good for the pool area as there was no fighting for sunbeds!

Food was good, although staff a bit slow. Reception staff friendly. There was a good courtsey bus to the beach. Maspalomas is definitley worth a visit, especially round the lighthouse.

I would stay here again on the basis we would stay in the main block due to excellent comments we heard from previous guests at the hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of October 2005

Not Quite as good as expected

Good

"We stayed for 2 weeks 4-18 June 2016, room was very clean and tidy , although a bit more thought could have gone into the furniture no drawers anywhere, the staff were all very friendly from reception to the cleaning staff, food ok but could have been better, the biggest let down was the entertainment, same old thing day after day, very convenient for places to go in the evening because you would not want to stay in the hotel and pay their prices for drinks, even a bottle of water to have with the evening mean was 2.5 euros, very handy having the free bus to the beaches.
Another negative was the dress code for evening dinner, too many men came in wearing shorts, sleeveless shirts and sandals all of which were supposed to be a no no, but nobody stopped them at the door, also it is a no smoking hotel but lots of people were smoking on their balcony's.
This hotel is not up to the standard of the Barceló in Fuerteventura which definitely is a 4 star hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of June 2016

Barcelo Magarita Hotel

Good

"My family and I (me, my husband and a 3 year old have )just returned from a 1 week holiday. We enjoyed our stay.
It is good value for money, the staff are friendly and helpful.
Our room was excellent with a pool view . There was even an additional play area with pool for little ones.
there was also a good basic gym.

Rooms are cleaned every day, to a high standard. There is nothing staff will not do take make your stay better within reason of course.
My daughter loved the children's disco every night.

My husband celebrated his birthday on holiday and was very kindly sent a bottle of Cava and a birthday cake by the management, this made his birthday!

I do not have many dislikes but
I have one gripe and that is WiFi connection was not that good. Connection we found to be better outside, but
this could be different for everyone.

Make sure you arrive at a good time for breakfast and dinner as you may have to wait for a free table during busier times . If you go early there is more choice of food( popular foods may not last long, pancakes are very
popular) and you get a table sooner,
but staff work quickly.

We visited August 2014

I would definitely recommend this hotel and planned to visit again.
The hotel is centrally located, we were half board, this was ok for my husband and me but we brought our daughter lunch daily , we were quite prepared to do this. From half board to fully inclusive was 15 euros per person per day, because we were not full board we were able to visit other key attractions. My 3 year old loved Holiday world, a fun fair with a bowling alley, for children. The hotel has a free bus to local beaches: Playa dela Igles and Masapalomas, hotel staff are happy to help with a bus timetable.

• Travel date: Fri 15th of August 2014

Hotels near Occidental Margaritas

Stayed at Occidental Margaritas? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Occidental Margaritas

• "ine if you intend to spend the whole time elsewhere "

• "The beach is lovely and if you go off track, so are some of the Spanish restaurants "

• lebigmec by lebigmec

"Great resort if you're Gay. "

• lebigmec by lebigmec

"El Toro Grill is great, in The Yumbo Centre. "

• CLAREg by CLAREg

"GREAT IF YOU ARE GAY! LOVELY BEACHES! "

• CLAREg by CLAREg

"WE WERE HAPPY TO STAY AROUND THE HOTEL AS TOO HOT TO GO SIGHT SEEING WITH A 2 YEAR OLD! "

• Marzi_Pann by Marzi_Pann

"Not ideal for young couples "

• Mel Hameed by Mel Hameed

"Go and experience it - don "

• Mel Hameed by Mel Hameed

"Aqualand / Sand Dunes / Beach "

• Lisa1974 by Lisa1974

"VIP Island Tour - full day touring the island and mountains with Gary and crew. Well recommended. "

• beth and dreja by beth and dreja

"go and look at this hotel for yourself "

• joeluton by joeluton

"It a lovely place to stay 10/10 "

• redcoat jess by redcoat jess

"very spanish orientated and not very close to the beach "

• margamboy by margamboy

"Nice quiet Hotel for a relaxing holiday with loads of bars and places to eat close by "

• georgie-x by georgie-x

"If you travel with Thomas Cook: book the 'Canarian Combo' trip. It's 69 euros, but during the day you go on a jeep safari (which includes a rather bumpy and exhilerating off-road trip), camel ride and boat trip to see wild dolphins. "

• I Must Top Up My Tan by I Must Top Up My Tan

"Make use of the free shuttle bus for visits to the beach "

• tg by tg

"dont take your wife to the bar "

• Birdy by Birdy

"Jumbo Centre at night and Kasbah "

• JulesG by JulesG

"To the hotel I would suggest a few more staff in the restaraunt "

• Gaynor P by Gaynor P

"Enjoy hotel and all surrounding areas "

Occidental Margaritas is also called