Jardin del Sol Apartments

Avd de Gran Canaria 24, 35100 Playa del Ingles, Maspalomas, Gran Canaria Spain

An OK appartementos Hotel

"I've been spending quite few holidays in the Canary islands and first of all I can say that Jardin Del Sol is a good general class hotel. Everything is very nice, but nothing really special to it. Hotel is on a good location as soon as you learn how to walk around...beach is not really close, but you get there no problem.

A bit of a minus in Jardin Del Sol is the entrance which is (like some others mentioned in their reviews) next to a [----]. Anyways, if you travel with children don't worry, it's completely safe around."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of December 2008

Great hotel!

Good

"Me and my boyfriend stayed here from the 15th to the 22nd of september. We haven't been to gran canaria before, so weren't sure on where to stay but we were glad we picked this hotel. The pool area is nice, and the apartment is nice, it suited me and boyfriend well. I wasn't too fussed on the nightlife out there as me and my boyfriend like a quiet drink in a relaxed bar. we found a bar called mackers, just round the corner from jardin del sol. Great breakfasts, sunday caverys and great night out. Me and my boyfriend ended up there everynight. It was a good laugh. Overall this hotel is good, a fair walk to the beach but what we wanted was only round the corner so we loved it."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of September 2008

Excellent Hotel

Good

"Stayed here 1st - 8th September 2008, first time in Gran Canaria - booked on Portland Direct website. Me, plus brother + friend.
Don't let the reviews saying "you go down a dark alley near a strip club..." put you off. This is a good hotel, in well maintained grounds, with a large (if not slightly chilly) pool. Decent location.
Around the perimeter of the hotel are other shops, restaurants, pharmacy, crazy golf etc. I ate at the restaurant Guarapo one night (right in front of the hotel) and it was OK. Service at one the restaurants/bar's (Big Ben) left a little to be desired to say the least though.
It's true, that down the side of the hotel is an entrance to a "nightclub" - which is actually a strip club. It is only signposted as a nightclub though and families shouldn't worry about it.
Hotel has a small supermarket for water, bread etc. Rooms are well equipped with fridge, cooker, hob, cutlery etc.
Overall, a good stay at a good hotel. If I went back to Gran Canaria I wouldnt hesitate to re-book the Jardin del Sol."

• Travel date: Fri 19th of September 2008

fantastic

"i stayed here for 2 weeks with my husband my daughter and my neice it was our first time to playa del ingles and we are looking forward to going back there the staff were friendly and cheerful everything and everyone was lovely it was the best hoilday we had we are planing to go again in the new year.

sandra and ronnie (ireland)"

• Travel date: Wed 10th of September 2008

Best Holiday Ever? It could well be.......

"Having read a few reviews on here prior to our stay at Jardin Del Sol, I had mixed opinions on what we were to be greated by.

Descriptions of a narrow, dark alley for an enterance are far wide of the mark. Although the enterance is not on the road side or blatant to see from the roadside, down an alley it is not. It is true to say there is an adult club to the right of the enterance to reception, but this (from the outside at least) looks very respectable, upmarket, and if you didn't know it was an adult club, you would be non the wiser from walking past it.

The resort itselft is very self contained with the only real breach of privacy from the outside world, being the 5/6 storey hotels next door which do not impeed the pool area from the sun between 10am and about 6.30pm (outside of these times when the sun is low, the hotels do cast shadows).

The hotel grounds are a pleasant environment to be in with cactus, trees & flowers outlining clean well lit paving. The pool was immaculately clean throughout our stay, and rest assured the pictures are not deceiving, the pool is pretty huge!

Onto the appartments/villa. The downstairs area is a decent living space, large enough to be useable even when someone is using the sofa bed (we had 3 people in our appartment). Upstairs has a fair sized bathroom (with a very useable walk-in shower, far superior to the usual small shower cubicle afforded to you in other hotels of similar rating/cost) and a double bedroom with reasonable space and a large double wardrobe.

Overall, our stay was brilliant. The bar is open late enough to have a night at the hotel if you fancy a quiet night in (bar closes at 1am) Music is on, but only load enough to hear in the bar area, we couldn't hear the music from our appartment which was only a short walk from the bar. The Kasbah (the main bar/club area for Playa Del Ingles) is literally a 5 minute walk down the road, if clubs are your thing this is the place to be. Taxis are available at the taxi rank 2 minutes down the road should you want to go further a field. For food, I would recommend the italian 2 minutes walk from the hotel (turn right) and the Indian and Chinese which back onto/are underneath the jardin del sol (turn left past the supermarket and then left again). The Brittania is also a nice place for food if you a craving some good'old english food, this is about another 2 minutes past the italian.

If I was to try and find negatives about Jardin Del Sol, I would say some may find the music coming from the restaurants behind/below the hotel intrusive (we personally didn't, it was quite pleasant and sometimes humourous! The rooms also do not have A/C, although you can hire a portable A/C for 60 Euro per week or a fan for 15 Euro per week. This wasn't an issue for us though, as downstairs was cool enough, and upstairs, the windows were left open (no bites either!)

I'd go back to Jardin Del Sol in a flash. I think its suitable for just about anybody other than young groups looking for an 18-30 experience. We went as a group of 5 between 21-23 and it was perfect. There were also couples of all ages, singles, groups, families there, and the hotel appeared to cater for all."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of July 2008

Not very impressed!

"I stayed at Jardin Del Sol Apartments with my partner for a two week holiday. i picked these apartments because how it looked in the brochure and the details specified in the brochure. We hired a car for two weeks too, perfect. we were returning to gran canaria for the first time and everything was going to be perfect. oops, dont jump the gun. when we had picked up the car from the airport, we were so excited, the airport had upgraded our car for free. things were going so well untill we hit our first problem, we couldnt find the apartments. with what little spanish i know i asked locals and tourists where they were, nobody knew. eventually we had the cheek to ask a taxi driver to tell us. when we arrived, there was no parking for the car so we parked it on the designated parking on the side of the road, which was free only at night. we walked down a kind of alley way, between crazy golf, a sleezy adult club and an empty restaurant and found reception, hurray! the bloke on the desk didnt speek alot of english so all he could manage to say was "key, light" and being happy hoiday makers we smiled and agreed and made our way to our apartment. where it was, we didnt have a clue! in the end we found it and made our way in. theres no electric! so i marched back to reception to explain what had happened. we were shattered, had no help of pedro the receptionist so i wasnt too happy about it, in the end he kept repeating what he told us before key light key light. bingo, we need the key for the electricity!
near the door is a box you slot your card key into to get power. we hired a fan too because it was so hot. the apartment had a kitchen diner down stairs and a bedroom and bathroom upstairs. there was two double beds but we pushed them together. when we used the shower, it leaked a little bit over the floor so we needed clean towels every day, which sometimes never happened. we had visitors on holiday too. there were ants EVERYWHERE. with it being a warm country i knew things were going to be different but we didnt understand where they were coming from, all we got offered was ant powder but im sure they thrived off it. then we had cockroaches. we got woken up by drunk lads jumping in the pool naked at 3am. we never rwally saw our rep too. when we made a joke of it at the airport she replied she was sorry but most of the time she was hung over. i would stay here again even if my life depended on it and i feel so awful towards my partner as i never once said i was unhappy"

• Travel date: Wed 27th of February 2008

First Class

Good

"Have to agree with the last few comments here, these apartments turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. Clean, comfortable, well laid out, beautiful gardens and pool and fairly centrally located.
Only slight downside is we timed our visit at the same time as several groups of young party animals who where rather noisy at night.
Wasn't enough though to spoil the stay and I can heartily recommend them"

• Travel date: Tue 13th of November 2007

Great apartments

"We stayed at the Jardin Del Sol in August after booking through Thomson.

From the outside, the aprtments don't look that good, the reception is situated down an alley way between a restaurant that has closed down and a "Gentlemens Club". You could almost hear the sniggers from other people as we got off the coach.

Once through reception you enter the great gardens and the courtyard around which all the apartments are based. Each apartment is over two floors with a large living/dining area and a small kitchenette downstairs (only hobs though microwaves are available). There's also a terrace which depending on wich side you are based will get the sun in the morning or the afternoon.

Upstairs there is a fairly small bathroom and a walk in shower which worked OK. The bedroom had a large wardrobe and two single beds which can be pushed together.

There is no air-con but you can hire a fan for 15 euros a week, however we found opening the window did a good enough job and hardly used the fan.

As you are above restaurants / pubs and nearby hotels there is a bit of noise in the evening but this generally finished at about 1am. We had a blue flashing light outside our bedroom (think it was a Chinese restaurant), this didn't annoy us but if were sleeping on the sofa bed (as you would if more than 2 stayed there) it would have been very annoying as there was no curtain on the downstairs window.

Cleaning was almost every day and the cleaner was very friendly and thorough, even doing the washing up.

The pool area was large with plenty of sunbeds, we never had a trouble getting a sunbed even if we went to the pool about 2pm. However to get a parasol you'd need to be prepared for the 9am rush as the sunbeds are unlocked.

Nearby you have the Yumbo (10 min walk), the beach is about 20 mins walk away (or 2 euros in a taxi), the Gran Cahperal is 5 mins away and there are pubs / restaurants around the apartments (though food quality wasn't great at these restaurants).

Jardin Del Sol are excellent apartments and I'd reccommend anyone to stay there if they want a peaceful time near the centre of Playa Del Ingles."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of August 2007

Great place to stay

"We stayed here in May 2007 and had a fantastic time. The pool is the best pool we've seen and the staff are the friendliest. The apartments are brilliant and the maid service keeps them spotless. I especially loved my box for a bed.

We would definitely come back next yearbut for a longer time as there's so much to do and see.

We couldn't recommend it more.

Jo and Kates"

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of June 2007

A house of your own

"Stayed with my husband for a week at Jardin del Sol, Palya del Inglés, Gran Canaria.

Beautiful small apartments built together in a ring with a garden and pool in the middle.
Your little house has two floors, a room and kitchen in one on first floor and a bedroom and very small bathroom on second floor.
There is a small patio outside with table and chairs.
It’s bright, clean and modern and like a little world of it’s own since it’s built in this ring shape and you don’t see the outside of the hotel complex.
Quite good location, about 15-20 minutes walk down to the beach."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of May 2007

What a GEM!!

"What can i say.
I went with a 20 week pregnant wife and 15 month old baby so needed this place to conform to what it said in terms of service.
It did and more, the service was excellent from the cleaners to the front desk. The apartments are very quaint spread over two floors (bedroom upstairs), making them quite charming.
The whole place did what it said on the tin, being very very family frienndly. I wouldnt recommend for yourng couples maybe, but for families doesnt get any better. "

• Travel date: Thu 16th of August 2012

Started off bad, but things soon changed

Good

"We have just arrived back from 2 weeks in these apartments.

We checked into the apartments at 10:30pm and the reception staff were really friendly.

We then walked into the gardens and into our room and everything looked fantastic until we got to our room. I checked the door to see if it was unlocked. It was indeed locked, but the door opened almost 1.5 inch before the lock hooked into the door frame. once unlocked, you could see signs of forced entry on the inside of the door frame.

The staff were reluctant to move us into a new room. They said that they are booked at 99% capacity. After 25mins of agruing, we were then put into another room for the night, but had to move again the next day because the rooms with the parasols, microwaves, irons, hair driers etc are not under the thomson contract.

We checked the original room before going to the welcome meeting and found that the door had been repaired badly, the gap from top to bottom when locked was now 1cm wide.

However, things got better when Clint (tour rep) sorted things for us and were then moved again to another room. He was already aware that we were moved the previous night, and had a problem before we approached him.

The apartments are well kept, however the bed linen should be renewed as many off the sheets were badly worn with holes in them. if your not in the apartments with the parasols, the beds and pillows are uncomfortable, and you wont have the equipment included as mentioned above.

The grounds can get noisy in the morning when guests return from the pubs and clubs. we were woken up twice at 5am in the morning, with a young irish couple next door arguing, and a few times by other guests returning drunk.

But you cant expect everything to be perfect at only £1100 for two weeks holiday.

we booked the Mogan trip with Thomson but found it was a little expensive, 26 euro each. we didnt realise that the boat only goes one way and a bus takes you back to playa del ingles. However the tour guide was excellent on the bus. I cant remember his name, but he was a gentleman who retired on gran canaria from Belgum and had a ponytail.

I wont go into detail about the location or places to eat as there are plenty of other reviews."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of September 2011

Hotels near Jardin del Sol Apartments

Stayed at Jardin del Sol Apartments? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Jardin del Sol Apartments

• Lucia Foley by Lucia Foley

"The trip on the Yellow Submarine was a great experience "

• berryc004 by berryc004

"brilliant resort to stay in lots to see do and eat and of course drink "

• berryc004 by berryc004

"puerto mogan lovely sights.eateries has to be britannia good portions and hasta la pasta. "

• kateski by kateski

"Lovely cosy complex and friendly "

Jardin del Sol Apartments is also called