Good
Good

BACKGROUND I have just returned from a w...

Reviewed Mon 1st of September 2008

"BACKGROUND
I have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel with my partner. We are both English and aged 33 and 28. I used this web site and read many reviews of the different hotels listed on these pages and eventually decided to stay in the IFA Dunamar. The holiday was only arranged a day before departure.

BOOKING
I researched the price of the stay at this hotel using travelsupermarket.com and eventually established that it was slightly cheaper to book directly through their own website. I opted for bed and breakfast without a sea view (which would have cost an extra 30 euros). Upon our arrival, we were shown to a sea view room and were informed that the stay was half board both of which were a pleasant surprise.

THE HOTEL
Fantastic location! A minutes walk from the glorious beach. A few minutes to the local bars and shops. That I am afraid is where the positive points end. In the double room I expected a double bed but got two singles. My ipod screen was almost bigger than the TVs, which incidentially only had three English news channels, but hey, you don't go abroad to stay in your room and watch tv! The shower was the worst I have ever experienced in a hotel, it just kind of spat at you. We were also woken one morning at about 8am by constant a drilling and hammering sound (the maintenance type!) There was a good selection of food although the standard was only ok, the meat was more often than not dry, tough and chewy. The entertainment was certainly aimed at the older generations. The average age of the guests was at least 50 with many far older than that. They were mostly German too. The pool area was pretty small for the size of the htoel. I certainly wouldn't want to stay there at peak season. The hotel also has a policy whereby everyone receives a card with their name and room number on. This is used to reserve a sun lounger. What you will find is that the cards are placed in the sun loungers and left there for the duration of the guest's holiday. So while you are sitting at the back of the pool area or in the shade when you want to be in the sun, there are at least half of the decent loungers surrounding the pool unoccupied all day because those guests decided to spend the day at the beach or go shopping. It the most diabolical idea I have ever encountered and for this reason alone, I would never return to the hotel.

THE STAFF
While not exactly rude, they certainly don't make you feel welcome. I didn't speak to anyone who spoke fluent English. Most of the staff were middle aged men, I am assuming set in their ways. During the whole stay I only ever saw one person who appeared to be a member of the management team. Maybe they need to step out of their offices more often so they can see what goes on. I don't know, maybe it's just the local standard but they could all certainly visit a hotel in Dubai to really see good service.

SUMMARY
The hotel claims to be a 4* but this must have been awarded by themselves. It certainly has the potential but sadly falls down in many areas. For those people who have reviewed the hotel as being the best they have ever stayed at, I would definately recommend that they spread their wings, spend an extra few pounds and holiday in Egypt or Dubai etc.

• Travel date: Mon 1st of September 2008

Fantastic Holiday Don't hesitate book it...

Reviewed Fri 28th of March 2008

"Fantastic Holiday
Don't hesitate book it !

We booked the hotel via quickrooms.com and had a realy good deal and all in all a great time.

Hotel is situated in an excellent central location, opposite the main Playa del Ingles beach, and close enough to the bars and restaurants, nearby, but far enough from the busy parts.

There is also a taxi rank opposite to take you out and about around the Island.

The Hotel meets a 4* star, it's very clean and the rooms are spacious. Try and secure a room with a sea view as it will look out over the beach which has a wonderful view.

The Staff are realy friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. There is a great choice at meal times, and the food is of a high standard.

Pools and surrounding areas are very clean, look neat and tidy and there were always handy men and gardners tidying the areas. You can also secure you're sunbed for the whole week, so you don't have to worry about getting up early with your towel.

Would highly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a relaxing time in a central location and some 4 star treatment.

We booked this holiday completely independantly by booking our flights , the hotel and the resort hopper from the aiport, direct.
So if you can I'd suggest you do too, as we made huge savings rather than booking with a Travel agent.

It's impossible not to enjoy yourself at this hotel

• Travel date: Fri 28th of March 2008

Sun beds pre booked- 8 inches apart, nic...

Reviewed Tue 22nd of August 2006

"Sun beds pre booked- 8 inches apart, nice if you like close company. Not 4 star standard. Food ok some nights not others great location. Adequate rooms. Caters mainly for Germans. Very clean hotel. We booked select holiday and were given room with view of a wall.

We booked private taxi transfer, bus arrived to take us back. Upon arrival room not ready for 2 hours-no apologies or complimentary drink-just told sit and wait. Complaints ignored at hotel so wrote to Thomas Cook who refunded £100 voucher to be used of next Thomas Cook holiday! Will never use Thomas Cook Sect brochure again.

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of August 2006