Ruined holiday

Reviewed 21st April 2016

"My friends and I were looking forward to a pleasant two weeks in Gran canaria. We were totally disappointed. Having stayed in four-star hotels for many years in different parts of the world, we feel we are capable of giving a fair and reasonable review of the Catarina hotel in Playa del inglis. First impressions count. The reception are was dark and dismal and the whole hotel seemed squeezed into a compact area. The entire hotel is in need of a radical facelift. Although our room was comfortable the hallways were dark and poorly painted and the carpets had seen better days. The pool wasn't cleaned properly and there weren't enough sun loungers or tables. The entertainment was lackluster and repetitive. The food, although varied, was poorly prepared and presented. It was as though it had all been prepared the day before. I have a dangerous gluten allergy and trying to get information on the contents of food was virtually impossible. I have always been a fan of first choice/Thomson but I will never travel with them again."

• Travel date: 7th April 2016

Hotel & Location

Reviewed 21st January 2014

"My Girlfriend and I stayed here for a week all inclusive with First Choice in January 2014. Transfers by coach from the airport can take between 20 minutes to over an hour depending which hotel you are getting dropped off at. A Taxi from the airport to our resort would have cost us 40 euros and takes around 20 minutes the distance being 33.4km. First impressions with the hotel were good, quick check in and polite reception staff which spoke excellent English and the hotel was immaculate throughout. Our first room was overlooking the small pool on the 4th floor but changed it to a room which caught some sun on the balcony in the afternoon. There is a TV (2 English channels Sky and BBC News the rest are Spanish and German, more channels if you want to pay) Safe (which you have to pay for) 2 single beds (Hard) air con, bath and shower. Room cleaned every day with fresh towels if required. No kettle. TIP…There aren’t many sockets in the room to charge your mobile phone, iPad, shaver etc. So take a 2 pin UK to European travel adapter plug and a 4 or 6 socket extension lead. Smoking is pretty much allowed everywhere outside but not permitted in the rooms or balcony although we did see people smoking on balconies. In January the sun rises low in the canaries and the actual pool area doesn’t get any sun until around 11am and you have to shift positions of the sunbeds to follow it around during the day also the towels are laid out on the sunbeds before breakfast without anyone laying on them until later. If you want some early sun there is a naturalist roof top area. TIP…there is a lovely garden at the right of the pool area where it’s quiet and has sunbeds. The hotel caters for all-inclusive and paying guests which are predominantly German which gets a little confusing, all inclusive drinks are served between 11am and 11pm in the pool bar but the pool bar doesn’t close until 1am so if you want a drink after 11pm you have to pay. Madison’s bar at reception closes strictly at around 10pm sometimes at 9.45pm. The drinks served to the all-inclusive clients are extremely weak but you can have brand names if you are willing to pay. It does get very busy at the bars and at times the staff can’t cope hence long queues. TIP…If you like Cava and are all inclusive that’s the only drink I found that was remotely like anything found in the UK Food at the hotel is very good .There are varied amounts of meals to choose from if on a healthy diet from beautiful Spanish salads, cheeses, fresh baked bread with olives and fresh fruit, Roast Lamb, plenty of fish but there is also chips, pizza, cakes and ice cream to pig out on. One thing to mention is evening meals there is a dress code with no shorts allowed and you have to show your room card before entering where you are given a ticket for drinks which the staff mark down what you have had which is then given back when leaving the restaurant. TIP…Don’t go to the restaurant as soon as it opens as there will be a stampede and a queue, there is plenty of food and plenty of tables outside in the fresh air. At the time of writing Wi-Fi is available at the hotel for a daily cost of around 5 euros TIP… Wi-Fi in the Madison’s bar is free. Entertainment is put on every day except Sundays which is ok nothing special but the staff doing the entertaining work hard and are a joy to know. Evening entertainment varies from Queen and Madonna tributes to solo singers accompanied by a keyboard player. TIP…There is a free bus to the beach and back which takes around 8 minutes. The location of the hotel is in walking distance to shopping centers and bars but I have to say it is very expensive as an example a pint of larger can range from 4 euros to 8 euros and a shot of brand vodka up to 7 euros and clothes and such can be twice the price of buying in the UK. TIP… Playa de Ingles has a lot of bars and clubs based around the Gay scene with places like the Yumbo Centium with an anything goes policy. For this holiday we paid £400 each for a week and last year we went to the Riu in Cape Verde and paid £800 each for 2 weeks all inclusive and there is no comparison. Having said that the manager of this hotel is hands on and the staff work extremely hard but until the drinks improve and First Choice pay the hotel a descent commission I can’t see it improving, But hey we all have to make a living. TIP…If you are all inclusive and want to get out of the hotel you can walk around 25 minutes or get a taxi to San Fernando where you can find local Spanish bars and restaurants with excellent food and wine also beer is around 2 euros. There is also a local bar can’t remember the name on the beach complex where the bus takes you for the same sort of prices. Would I go back to the hotel or resort probably not as the resort is too expensive for the exchange rate of the pound at the moment and the hotel caters mostly for elderly non all inclusive Germans. If you aren’t sure what’s what click this web site below to find out more http://www.lopesan.com/en/hotel-ifa-catarina_1f12.html Just to say love and best wishes to Janet & Popper and to let you know I am off to the kebab shop dressed as a pirate singing "Goodnight Irene" as I go……!! "

• Travel date: 18th January 2014

great hotel

Reviewed 15th July 2013

"what can I say looked at this hotel loads of times but always booked another one, well got a good price this year and what a surprise it was so nice big and clean everywhere maids great waiters etc all loverly food best we have had great choices beds nice and cumfy but my wife said hers was slighty hard pools great jaquzzis 3 in total lovery gardens people do go down early to reserve sun beds but you can always find plenty around, sand dunes 2 minutes away we stayed all-inclusive it was great they have a ice cream bar cakes etc etc great cita nice and close also yumbo car hire at good prices at orlando cars my only gripe was they remove your wrist band at 12am on the day you leave also the they offer a hospitality room which was terrible because it was full of both sexes at the same time and so hot it was a communal set up but your rooms are 30 euros extra if you can have it we could not, we were leaving at 10pm they do give you a voucher for your evening meals all in all we would love to go back one last thing all inclusive is around the pool outside not inside like other hotels that we have stayed at."

• Travel date: 13th July 2013

Uncaring Management

Reviewed 15th February 2011

"On the 7th of January 20011, when I was sleeping at the 'Catarina' Hotel Gran Caneria, someone came into the room during the night and stole several items. When I contacted the reception to inform them of this incident and show them that it was not possible to bolt the door from the inside, they seemed to think it was my fault as I may have failed to lock the sliding door to the balcony. As my room was on the second floor, it seems unlikely (but not impossible) that someone gained access from outside, even though the sliding doors were open in the morning. I made a complaint to the hotel and a statement to the police. I requested to see the General Manager to discuss this break-in. I asked to see the Manager on nine separate occasions, but was told he was too busy to see me. Following the intrusion into my room, I was in a very nervous state, unable to sleep at all well as I was in fear of it happening again. The last thing a pensioner (71) needs is the thought of someone breaking into your room at any time during the night. How a Manager can ignore a request from a guest to discuss a truly traumatic event whilst staying at his hotel, is beyond me."

• Travel date: 12th February 2011

Great time

Reviewed 21st September 2010

"just got back from a great weeks hoilday, hotel was very clean, food was very good, great location,every one very friendly, good bus service near by, would go back with out a dout.Plenty to do and see near by or if you just want to lay by the pool alway loads of sunbeds."

• Travel date: 19th September 2010

brilliant hotel and quality staff and spotless

Reviewed 23rd August 2010

"as a single dad travelling with a teenage daughter we loved this hotel so much in october 2009 we rebooked for aug this year , we have just arrived home and i must addmit the hotel is just the best we have ever stayed in , the staff are lovely and the rooms spotless , the food selections are massive and there is always somthing you fancy , we truly love this hotel , "

• Travel date: 23rd August 2010

what a great time had by all

Reviewed 28th October 2010

"we have just come back from a weeks holiday at the caterina. the hotel is excelent the rooms are very clean but maybe the beds could be a little softer but apart from that the rooms are very good.. the food was excelent and plenty of choice no matter what time you went down for your meals..the entertainment staff and hotel staff are friendly and helpful.the only - on the holidays was there was to many germans who thought they had the right to push in every where and was rude but apart from them we had a great time and would definatly go back there "

• Travel date: 16th May 2010

Nice hotel, well situated for a beach holiday if steps aren't an issue

Reviewed 3rd November 2009

"The hotel Catarina was a good hotel. Rooms were a great size for 3, and everything throughout the hotel was spotless. The pool area is not large, but a really usable space, with lots of garden terraces for sunbathing. The pool is certainly big enough for a decent swim, but if you just like to cool off in some water, there are three jacuzzi's dotted around the hotel, so plenty of choice. We stayed half board and the food was excellent, although choice a little limited. It was disappointing that tables aren't laid - grab your own cutlery etc., but the quality of the food made up for that. We felt the hotel was perfectly situated, less than 10 minutes walk via a beach promenade to Playa del Ingles beach, which is beautifully maintained, and has a wide variety of shops, bars,restaurants (and games arcades for the kids!) to keep everyone entertained both day and night-time. The only issue is that there are a lot of steps/ramps, so if you have more than one child in a pushchair, or someone in a wheelchair, you'll need to be feeling very fit! It is said in many brochures and by reps that Playa del Ingles is very popular with the gay community, but during the day and into early night, it is just a wonderful holiday resort with all the amenities you could wish for. We were advised that things get a little wilder late into the night, but as we're there for the sunshine during the day, we aren't out partying after midnight, so no problem! We have been to all the Canary Islands, Lanzarote is our all-time favourite, but have to say this comes a close second - thoroughly enjoyable holiday."

• Travel date: 1st November 2009

Great hotel, location not so good :)

Reviewed 27th May 2009

" Just got back from gran canaria and the hotel catarina was lovely, very clean (no cockroaches running around lol) the rooms were very nice and cleaned daily. We got told that you can request a fridge but might not get one but this is not true as every room has a small fridge in so thats very handy. The food was excellent quality, none of of us got poorly so that was good, the only thing I would say is it was a little bit repetative and not too good for kids as I have a little boy and he would only eat chips and i know a couple of other people were struggling with there kids too. that being said the puddings more than made up for it lol, they were gorgeous lots of different cakes and icecream and allsorts. There are quite a few pools and they are very nice and kept clean, the kids area is abit of a fight to get near as the germans and spanish kind of mark it as there territory but that didnt bother us too much. The hotel grounds were beautiful, there is lots of different areas where you can sunbathe whether your wanting somewhere peaceful or want to be near the pool. The only thing for me which let the hotel down is the entertainment, Im not sure whether its the time of year or not but to me that shouldnt matter. There wasnt really anything to do on a nighttime, the hotel is quite out of the way and playa de ingles caters more for gay people which made it quite boring on a nighttime for us as we wanted maybe a few family bars to go to but there were none, however puerto rico is good on a nighttime but its 5euros on the bus then about 20euros in a taxi to get back. It is quite expensive in gran canaria so make sure you have plenty of money. I would recommend going to palmitas park, its a lovely day out or for more fun, aqualand and at this time of year there arent any ques for the slides lol. The weather was great, we had one cloudy day but it was still very warm, the temperature was around 25-28 C."

• Travel date: 26th May 2009

Best Holiday to date!

Reviewed 17th March 2009

"We booked our holiday via a travel agent and then looked at the reviews. We arrived late in the evening but there was a cold buffet available. Check in was painless and staff cheerful and attentive. The breakfast was the same throughout, but a wide choice of hot or cold was available. In the evening,there was a variety of hot food,salad, fruit etc and the most gorgeous desserts. The hot meals in the evening were differnt every day.The times when the Rep was in attendance were well posted. The room was kept very clean, and you could have a change of towels every day if required. The beds were quite firm (I prefer that) and we had a baconey view of the pool. The evening entertainment was a bit hit and miss, but you are not far from the yumbo center for pubs and clubs. You are only a 10 min walk from the sand dunes but walking on them can be tireing. There is a shuttle bus during day to the other more populated part of the beach. Would we go back? We have already selected our dates! If you want winter sun, good food and service then the Hotel Catarina will not disappoint."

• Travel date: 17th March 2009

Just returned from the hotel Catarina in...

Reviewed 2nd September 2008

"Just returned from the hotel Catarina in Playa del ingles with my husband and 8 year old son, it was fantastic. The hotel well deserves its 4 star rating if not 5. The food was good with plenty of choice, some of the staff in the resturatnt were friendly (the small minority that could understand a little english that is) The pool area was brilliant with three to chose from. Plenty of sun terraces too although on arrival we read that it was not permitted to reserve sun beds, only to find this was not the case if you wanted to be beside the main pool. The location was great with just a 2 minute walk to the sand dunes and a 10 minute walk to the yumbo centre, (Ricky’s bar and Vavette's is a must). Be warned though, this is the gay capital of Europe which became very obvious at the yumbo centre at nights, lots of fun though. I would definitely recommend this hotel, the grounds are immaculate and well maintained its brilliant for kids and couples alike. I would say we found it to be predominantly German occupied and found out later that it is situated in a German area, we did feel this should have been explained in the hotel information on line, (not that this would stop me returning). Also give Garbos and soux City a try they were both well worth the money. "

• Travel date: 2nd September 2008

We booked The hotel Catarina on line aft...

Reviewed 30th March 2008

"We booked The hotel Catarina on line after searching for several days to find a good value hotel in Playa Del Ingles. Upon arriving we were greeted with a warm welcome from the hotel reception staff who spoke very good english and checked us in quickly. Our room was clean and very modern and had plenty of space with a seperate seating area which you don't normally get. The room was cleaned every day and the towels changed. The food was good and catered for everyone and had plenty to choose from, the salad bar and desert bar had a good selection. The waiting staff were very pleasent and efficient at cleaning plates away. The pool area was clean and was cleaned most mornings, there were plenty of sunbeds and not only the germans raced to get sunbeds everyone did, but there was enough to go round. The only bad experience was the disco under the hotel and I could hear it at 5.00am in the morning, however when I asked to change room the hotel moved us in half an hour which was great, so avoid room 156!! All in all a great hotel, which was clean and well looked after, I would go back again."

• Travel date: 30th March 2008

Hotels near Abora Catarina by Lopesan Hotels

Top traveller tips for Abora Catarina by Lopesan Hotels

• by toony

"cita close by yumbo go to mogan harbour on friday for the markets"

• by corky

"great place would go back again"

• by croftysx2

"a lovely safe feeling family hotel and staff"

• by girls aloud

"definatly worth a trip"

• by mrsfranky

"Playa del Ingles beach and its bars, shops and restaurants put everything within close reach."

• by mrsfranky

"A great resort with every amenity but you'll need to be OK with steps for the beach area."

• by hazyx

"Palmitas Park, aqualand, holiday world and the sand dunes."

• by venturer

"Submarine excursion Puerto Mogan."

• by venturer

"The sand is fine and soft"

Abora Catarina by Lopesan Hotels is also called

• Catarina Playa Hotel
  • ifa catarina playa del ingles
  • ifa catarina hotel