IFA Catarina Hotel

Avenida de Tirajana 1, 35100 Playa del Ingles, Maspalomas, Gran Canaria Spain

Enjoyed Hotel Cararina

Good

"My wife and I stayed here for 2 weeks. It was clean and comfortable, the food was excellent and the staff were very helpful and pleasant. There was a bus about every hour to take the guests to the beach. It was quiet at night so it was easy to sleep. The only criticism was that the Germans reserved sun loungers as usual but no one enforced the 'no reservation of sunbeds' rules. i would go back to this hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of December 2007

Loved The Hotel It-self :)

"1st Person Comment:
The hotel was extreamly beautiful, naturals inside are so great,
was very big greeny area's, the staff there was very lovely and friendly, also helpful as well, the service was great, food was so tasty and the open buffets was so rich everyday with different kind of foods, the entertainment program was very up-normaly good, everything was nice there, and i decided that Catarina Hotel will be always my hotel to reserve my stay in Canary Island.

2nd Person Comment:
I would like to thank the staff for being so kind and this wonderful hotel. I will surely come back to this hotel for my next vacation.

Ihab Gamal El Mougy From Egypt
Mattias Marco Lazzaro From Italy.."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of December 2007

GREAT hotel for the price!

"If you are looking for a low key, very respectable hotel without a huge pricetag, Hotel Catarina is perfect. I am in my 20's and was vactioning from November 30 to December 3 with my mom. The hotel and our rooms were very clean (especially considering how sandy we were after coming back from the dunes). The breakfast was great-- almost too many choices! The happy hour deals were a nice plus, too. The staff was very helpful and friendly towards us. Only downside I found of the hotel was the older, early to bed atmosphere. Could have been the time of year, but Hotel Catarina was filled with elderly German tourists. We had no idea that we would stick out so much in this older crowd-- I'm pretty sure I didn't see one other person between the ages of 8 and 66. However, that fact didn't really bother us because Las Dunas were amazing... and at only a block down the road, they were our favorite hang out from 10am until 4pm. Be prepared--- old wrinkled nudists everywhere you turn around! But people watching while strolling the beach is quite the hilarious (and free) entertainment. Only a 5 euro cab ride away at night were some wonderful restaurants and bars in Maspalomas... very fun and a lot better atmosphere for those looking for a lively night. I fell in love with the Canaries my first trip here-- an amazing getaway that I would re-do in a heartbeat. For the price and for a relaxing, low-key beach getaway Hotel Catarina era lo mejor!"

• Travel date: Thu 13th of December 2007

Management let it down

Good

"Throughout our holiday we very well catered for in terms of excellent food, accomadation and pool area. I found MANAGEMENT let the hotel down !!! I left my mobile phone in my room and realised once we got back. When getting in touch with the hotel they were un co-operative. They said they had my phone and would only attempt to release it once I sent them 40 euros for a so called trip my phone took to the airport to find me. I refused and feel that for the money you pay for 4 star accomadation they would have some courtesy to send it out. My phone is now sat in their safe!!! Would have gone back but not now!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 10th of December 2007

Not Shocking, honestly !

"We're a couple in our early 40s who stayed here during the half term week. If you have booked this hotel and are concerned by negative reviews, don't be. We had a lovely relaxing week and found this hotel to be fine. I accept the comments that it is probably more 3 star than 4. We've stayed in Barcelo hotels in the Canaries before which are 4 star and they do have the edge on this one. But...

The room was spacious and clean, ours was on the ground floor of an end wing and very quiet, (the odd grizzle from children above and to the side but it is a family hotel and we know what it's like to be away with children). We could easily hop over the wall into the very exotic and calm garden and spent late afternoons relaxing on a lounger.

We didn't find other holidayers particularly friendly apart from a couple of English families, but we weren't on a mission to make new friends, just wanted to get away from it all. We found the food to be perfectly adequate, some nights better than others and puddings short on choice, but easily on a par with most of these sorts of Spanish hotels and really not as bad as others have said - depends what you like I suppose. With 3 courses for breakfast and 3 or 4 for dinner, we didn't need lunch - and I still gained a few pounds.

The locality is good - sand dunes are fantastic, if you're ever up early enough take a mini-trek across them barefoot, while the sand is cool, and catch the sunrise. You can cut through the Hotel Rui at the end of the road - and see how the other half live !

The walk along the coast from Playa del Ingles to Maspalomas is pleasant, and interesting as it passes the nudist beach. Prepare yourself for some sights ! ( Why is it the older people get the more they feel the need to exhibit themselves !!??) And yes it is a gay resort, but surely people know that before they go and if you can't handle it - don't go !
We certainly didn't see any behaviour that was in any way alarming at the hotel and from what we could see of the families there, and we spoke to a couple, they and the kids were having a great time. Pools are a bit chilly and not esp big but if you're a keen swimmer then you'll be heading for the sea anyway which is warm and blissful for a cool off. Lots of waves too, we're getting on but we had a terrific laugh in the sea.

To sum it up - we had a good time, don't be alarmed by some of the comments on here !"

• Travel date: Mon 26th of November 2007

Lovely family holiday

Good

"We spent a week in the Catarina in October 07 and really enjoyed ourselves. The room was big and spotlessly clean, and the staff were really friendly and helpful throughout, especially when we had to take our son to hospital.
For those people who said the food was a bit of the same - which hotel were you in? ! There was a great range of food available every night - meat, fish, pasta, salad, just about everything you could want.
The only possible downside is that the hotel is generally very busy, even at socalled quiet times of the year. This is not a problem for everyone but it depends what you are looking for. Despite the signs, people did still reserve sunbeds, but it was always possible to find one somewhere.
Not a huge amount of brits at the hotel. Yes, there were lots of Germans, but there were also a fair number of Dutch, Belgian, French and the odd Spaniard too.
If you want a very quiet holiday, this is probably not the place for you, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others, especially families."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of November 2007

Prepare to be shocked

"We visited this hotel from Oct 6th to 20th. Our 1st night we eventually got to sleep at 7am in the morning and were woken at 7.45 by people talking and laughing as they went to breakfast. Our room 167 was like being in the middle of the runway, the blocks are in a line joined together at the 1st floor, we were in the 2nd block from reception and the lift was at the end of the block, people walked by us to reach the next block and also to use the lift to go up to the higher 5 floors. After the late nighters had finished coming in the new arrival started coming, the first indication being bump, bump, bump as the cases came down the 5/6 steps joining the corridor, then the excited chatter looking for the room numbers, this went on all night.

We asked next morning to be moved and was assured Saturday night was the busiest night, to this I stated we were there for 2 weeks and did
not want to spend all week looking forward to the next Saturday night.

We were moved to 233 next to the end room of a corridor that was a dead end, this was much nicer and had a much bigger balcony.

The meat was of poor quality and turned up next day in another form if it didn't get eaten. At this 4*? hotel you set your own table for both meals, the cloths are left on from the previous occupants are are sometimes grubby, paper napkins at both meals! Somedays chips were the ONLY potatoes on offer. We have had much better food at 3* hotels.

The hotel is full of Germans, quite a large proportion being Gay (not jolly) mostly male couples! lots of kissing, holding hands and bottom pinching went off for all to see children included. In the hotel brochure it stated if you have an hypodermic needle to dispose of to please ask at reception for a appropiate container. This, I have never in all my travels experienced before. We would not visit this hotel again and I don,t think it should be advertised as a family hotel.

On the plus side the gardens are lovely and the sunbeds are comfy. Sunbeds should not be reserved but since when did that stop anyone!!"

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of October 2007

This Hotel is OK

Good

"We stayed at this hotel from Oct 1st for one week..

The first impression was not great, but the room was large and we had a pool view. The Place is big and has large gardens and 3 pools one for the adults and 2 for the kids. There is a lifeguard oin duty at the main pools. There were plenty of sun loungers and they even had free cushions to lay on top of the beds.
There was kids entertainment all day and the adults could regularly join in with other organised events.

The gardens are well maintained and there are sun loungers all over the place. So you can enjoy the pool side or the quiet of the garden.

Also onsite are a hairdresser and massage room.

The staff were friendly, with the exception of one chef who went into a rage because i took a bit of bread off a pile that he had just stacked neatly.

The food was ok but was repetitive, however having said that there was a choice of chicken, veal, pork, beef etc as well as the usual salads.

The hotel is located 5 minutes from the dunes or to be more precise a long trek over the dunes to the beach. But if you prefer you can walk to the Playa Del Ingles Beach (20 minutes) or take the hotel bus (every hour)

The hotel is just round the corner from the small CITA centre. and a 20 minute walk from the larger YUMBO Centre. Taxis are cheap if you prefer.

The rooms were cleaned dailly and the hotel pool was constantly being swept and tidied by staff.

I would not say the hotel was a 4 star but probably 3

If you fancy a day out you could head to Peurto Rico or Mogan on the Friday for the market. You can get the local bus accross the road for the cost of 2.3 euros and 4 euros respectively. The boat back from Mogan to Peurto Rico was 6 euros.

I hope this is of help and that should you go to the Catarina hotel you enjoy your stay."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of October 2007

Great Hotel ! take the Negative Reviews with a big pinch of salt

Good

"We are family of 4 who stayed 2nd & 3rd week of August.
Am completely staggered by the negative comments of other reviewers. hotel was spotlessly clean ! Staff very friendly.
food well above average. Night time entertainment catered mostly for kids and just about any hotel you go to will only have limited entertainment. you make the entertainment yourselves by being polite & friendly with folk. as for the unhelpful staff. We arrived first day and i was not happy with the location of our ground floor rooms ( 2 x rooms - one for our children and one for me n the missus ). The reception staff said not a problem but we can only move you tomorrow. I said ok. Next day we were then given 2 new rooms. no fuss no argument and they even understood english ( said with hint of sarcasm for the benefit of the negative posters ).
location of the hotel is in a quiet area but then it clearly tells you that in the brochure. 15 min walking distance to kasbah / yumbo centres and taxi 3.5 eu from one end of the resort to the other .
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone
as long as you want to go on holiday to enjoy yourself and not be a moaning so and so !"

• Travel date: Mon 10th of September 2007

Not a good review

"First i have to say that it was the second time to this hotel in 3 years and i was very disappointed from the what the hotel has turned to.The rooms are very big and the cleaning is very good i have a room at the 5th floor and the view was fantastic at the maspalomas and the dunes but it was also a pool view room and i had very very much noise at noon and at night until 2 o'clock at midnight from Germans who where sitting at the pool bar talking loud and laughing and they didn't care that people above were sleaping and nobody from the hotel saying anything to them.The food was unacceptable with not very much choise and they even served the same cooked food for 2 or 3 nights in the row.We also have seen a big big cockroach in the dining area.The pool is big but with a lot lot of children playing and if you want to go for relax vacation certenly you cannot relax there and also it was not very clean.We had and one incident the edge of the ceiling at the balkony has fallen in front of my husbands legs when we were siting out there we were very scared because it could have hit him on the head he was lucky.We call the reception they came with the service man seen it and said i'm very sorry and left.THAT'S IT NOTHING ELSE.They didn't even make it when we were there they didn't even give us a beer just to "close our eyes"as we say in my country.I'm sorry for this hotel it was very good before 3 year's and that's why i picked the same to go again and it's become "chemical labaratory"which means anyone can do anything he want's without anybody saying anything!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 19th of August 2007

Ruined holiday

"My friends and I were looking forward to a pleasant two weeks in Gran canaria. We were totally disappointed. Having stayed in four-star hotels for many years in different parts of the world, we feel we are capable of giving a fair and reasonable review of the Catarina hotel in Playa del inglis. First impressions count. The reception are was dark and dismal and the whole hotel seemed squeezed into a compact area. The entire hotel is in need of a radical facelift. Although our room was comfortable the hallways were dark and poorly painted and the carpets had seen better days. The pool wasn't cleaned properly and there weren't enough sun loungers or tables. The entertainment was lackluster and repetitive. The food, although varied, was poorly prepared and presented. It was as though it had all been prepared the day before. I have a dangerous gluten allergy and trying to get information on the contents of food was virtually impossible. I have always been a fan of first choice/Thomson but I will never travel with them again."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of April 2016

Hotel & Location

"My Girlfriend and I stayed here for a week all inclusive with First Choice in January 2014.

Transfers by coach from the airport can take between 20 minutes to over an hour depending which hotel you are getting dropped off at. A Taxi from the airport to our resort would have cost us 40 euros and takes around 20 minutes the distance being 33.4km.

First impressions with the hotel were good, quick check in and polite reception staff which spoke excellent English and the hotel was immaculate throughout.

Our first room was overlooking the small pool on the 4th floor but changed it to a room which caught some sun on the balcony in the afternoon. There is a TV (2 English channels Sky and BBC News the rest are Spanish and German, more channels if you want to pay) Safe (which you have to pay for) 2 single beds (Hard) air con, bath and shower. Room cleaned every day with fresh towels if required. No kettle.

TIP…There aren’t many sockets in the room to charge your mobile phone,
iPad, shaver etc. So take a 2 pin UK to European travel adapter plug and a 4 or 6 socket extension lead.

Smoking is pretty much allowed everywhere outside but not permitted in the rooms or balcony although we did see people smoking on balconies.

In January the sun rises low in the canaries and the actual pool area doesn’t get any sun until around 11am and you have to shift positions of the sunbeds to follow it around during the day also the towels are laid out on the sunbeds before breakfast without anyone laying on them until later. If you want some early sun there is a naturalist roof top area.

TIP…there is a lovely garden at the right of the pool area where it’s quiet and has sunbeds.

The hotel caters for all-inclusive and paying guests which are predominantly German which gets a little confusing, all inclusive drinks are served between 11am and 11pm in the pool bar but the pool bar doesn’t close until 1am so if you want a drink after 11pm you have to pay. Madison’s bar at reception closes strictly at around 10pm sometimes at 9.45pm. The drinks served to the all-inclusive clients are extremely weak but you can have brand names if you are willing to pay. It does get very busy at the bars and at times the staff can’t cope hence long queues.

TIP…If you like Cava and are all inclusive that’s the only drink I found that was remotely like anything found in the UK

Food at the hotel is very good .There are varied amounts of meals to choose from if on a healthy diet from beautiful Spanish salads, cheeses, fresh baked bread with olives and fresh fruit, Roast Lamb, plenty of fish but there is also chips, pizza, cakes and ice cream to pig out on.

One thing to mention is evening meals there is a dress code with no shorts allowed and you have to show your room card before entering where you are given a ticket for drinks which the staff mark down what you have had which is then given back when leaving the restaurant.

TIP…Don’t go to the restaurant as soon as it opens as there will be a stampede and a queue, there is plenty of food and plenty of tables outside in the fresh air.

At the time of writing Wi-Fi is available at the hotel for a daily cost of around 5 euros

TIP… Wi-Fi in the Madison’s bar is free.

Entertainment is put on every day except Sundays which is ok nothing special but the staff doing the entertaining work hard and are a joy to know. Evening entertainment varies from Queen and Madonna tributes to solo singers accompanied by a keyboard player.

TIP…There is a free bus to the beach and back which takes around 8 minutes.

The location of the hotel is in walking distance to shopping centers and bars but I have to say it is very expensive as an example a pint of larger can range from 4 euros to 8 euros and a shot of brand vodka up to 7 euros and clothes and such can be twice the price of buying in the UK.

TIP… Playa de Ingles has a lot of bars and clubs based around the Gay scene with places like the Yumbo Centium with an anything goes policy.

For this holiday we paid £400 each for a week and last year we went to the Riu in Cape Verde and paid £800 each for 2 weeks all inclusive and there is no comparison.
Having said that the manager of this hotel is hands on and the staff work extremely hard but until the drinks improve and First Choice pay the hotel a descent commission I can’t see it improving, But hey we all have to make a living.

TIP…If you are all inclusive and want to get out of the hotel you can walk around 25 minutes or get a taxi to San Fernando where you can find local Spanish bars and restaurants with excellent food and wine also beer is around 2 euros. There is also a local bar can’t remember the name on the beach complex where the bus takes you for the same sort of prices.

Would I go back to the hotel or resort probably not as the resort is too expensive for the exchange rate of the pound at the moment and the hotel caters mostly for elderly non all inclusive Germans.

If you aren’t sure what’s what click this web site below to find out more

Just to say love and best wishes to Janet & Popper and to let you know I am off to the kebab shop dressed as a pirate singing "Goodnight Irene" as I go……!!

• Travel date: Sat 18th of January 2014

Hotels near IFA Catarina Hotel

Stayed at IFA Catarina Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for IFA Catarina Hotel

• venturer by venturer

"The sand is fine and soft "

• venturer by venturer

"Submarine excursion Puerto Mogan. "

• hazyx by hazyx

"Palmitas Park, aqualand, holiday world and the sand dunes. "

• mrsfranky by mrsfranky

"A great resort with every amenity but you'll need to be OK with steps for the beach area. "

• mrsfranky by mrsfranky

"Playa del Ingles beach and its bars, shops and restaurants put everything within close reach. "

• girls aloud by girls aloud

"definatly worth a trip "

• croftysx2 by croftysx2

"a lovely safe feeling family hotel and staff "

• corky by corky

"great place would go back again "

• toony by toony

"cita close by yumbo go to mogan harbour on friday for the markets "

IFA Catarina Hotel is also called