Best holiday hotel we have stayed in

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"This is the best holiday hotel we have stayed in, and some of the comments about it are just plain wrong. There is one big minus which we'll come to shortly !!
Firstly the hotel itself. We emailed the hotel just before we arrived asking for a quiet room and when we got there the reception people were aware of this and gave us a quiet room (294) we didnt hear any noise at all from the Buenaventura animation team but you do hear the entertainment from the Gran Canaria Princess next door, but it all stops at midnight anyway so it wasnt a realy problem. The room itself was fine. large clean and comfortable and the TV worked well ( the only english channel we could find though was Sky News) but if you take a radio with you there are several english channels on FM.
The food could not be faulted. We usually had our breakfasts outside on the terrace and for dinner ate in the the restaurant.
The menu was pretty much what you'd expect but it was well cooked and plenty of it and the staff there really did well. When you go in find a table with a green card on. There were never any queues either going in or coming out. When you go in you get a piece of paper which you show when you get a drink and you pay on the way out. It worked fine. One thing which was very good was that the chefs cooked steaks etc while you waited. in the morning eggs were cooked in front of you so if you like your eggs soft in the middle and crisp round the edges you'll really like it. A lot of the comments about this hotel talk about the number of Germans there. Yes there are quite a few I would say about 50% but there are also Swiss, Dutch, Spanish ( lots) Irish. After the Germans us Brits are the next lar gest group. It certainly isnt run purely for germans, but has a good international feel about it. There is a good free bus service to the beach which runs daily and was always on time but the last run back is at 1545 but you can walk it in about 20 minutes easily or get a taxi for under 3 Euro ( and if you havent been to Playa Del Ingles before the beach is SPECTACULAR ) I said at the beginning that there was one big minus and here it is. The entertainment at night was truly DIRE...........I agree with the comments about everything being said in 6000 languages but on more that one occasion it would have been more fun watching grass grow. We were there a week and it went like this
3 karaoke, a tribute to the Bee Gees ( pretty good ) a tribute to Chicago ( again pretty good if you manage to sit away from the Spaniards who talked loudly all the way throught it ) what seemed to be an advert for something called the Holiday Gym which from what we gather involved covering someone in chocolate and giving others a hair do. that isnt the worst. This award goes to some called " We Bet" It goes something like this.
The animation team are supposed to represent all the nationalities at the Hotel ( I think ) they then come up with how many members of the animation team are there, if you think less than 16 take a short straw if you think more than 16 take a long straw. The animation team then bring straws round. The best I can say about this truly non event was that there were nowhere near enought straws to go round. When we have been to other hotels the evening entertainment is usually quite good and you needed to get a seat quite early. We wondered why there was still acres of empty tables about 5 minutes before the "show" started. !!. It truly was grim.One other thing which we thought was strange was in the mini disco, have you every been anywhere where "The Music Man" doesent play The Dambusters ? no neither had we till we came here.........
Overall though we had a really good holiday in a good hotel in a good location in a great resort, I was there with my wife and teenage daughter and we would certainly go back to the Buenaventura, I just hope they do something about ""We Bet"" !!!"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of August 2006

great hotel

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"We stayed here for a week from the 14th august. What a great hotel. Very clean. Helpful and friendly staff. The food was excellent with a fantastic choice and we didn't have to queue once for breakfast or dinner.The pools were alot of fun and you could have a laugh. Plenty of bars in which to chill out, with happy hours! The only down side was the entertainment. If you are German it will be ok but for us british it was a bit boring. By the time the entertainment team (who seemed to do everything) went through 6,000 languages we got bored!! Gran Canaria itself doesn't have alot unless you want to chill out or go out on the p*** every night. We went to the Irish Centre a couple of times but there was no Irish music but a man singing depressing songs. Aqualand is a must for a fun day out and Palmitos Park has a bird of prey and parrot show which is a laugh. I don't think we would go to Gran Canaria again but we were certainly spoilt by the hotel. We have booked Tenerife for next year as we find it the best Canary Island. We just hope the hotel is as good as the Buenaventura !!"

• Travel date: Thu 24th of August 2006

My family have just returned from our ho...

Reviewed Sun 20th of August 2006

"My family have just returned from our holiday in the BuenAventura Hotel. We had a brilliant time! The Hotel was very clean and we enjoyed the food, there was a large choice. The first week we spent around the lively pool as our children loved it. When we did get around to going to the quieter bar we all loved that as well!

The entertainment team worked so hard and were very friendly. I would recommend the trip out to see the dolphins it was wonderful to see them in their natural habitat although there were a few people sea sick on the boat! One moan though, we had to get up early to put our towels on the sun beds because everyone else did it! We would definitely go back to this hotel!

• Travel date: Sun 20th of August 2006

I have just got back from an excellent w...

Reviewed Thu 27th of July 2006

"I have just got back from an excellent weeks stay at this hotel. It is in the perfect location in the resort-close enough to the Kasbah but far enough away to get a good night's sleep.

Also what a well run hotel! The entertainment team work so hard to make your holiday even more enjoyable & if you don't want to join in you can laze around the other quieter pool.

The food was great-always something for my fussy friend to eat-rooms were kept clean & the staff were always helpful. This is a great hotel & perfect for any age group & nationality!"

• Travel date: Thu 27th of July 2006

I’m just back from here and I would de...

Reviewed Mon 5th of June 2006

"I’m just back from here and I would definitely recommend this hotel it was brilliant. It was spotless and really clean. There were 2 pool areas, a quieter one and one livelier. I usually went to the quieter one as there was always sun beds there the pool was great and it had 2 Jacuzzis which was great.

The nightlife was only 5mins away this was the Irish centre and the nightclubs and stuff.

The beach was only about 10 mins walk away. If you didn’t want to leave the hotel complex then you didn’t have to as they had everything you needed there, including a nightclub! We didn’t go to it though.

The dinners were really good there was a great selection to choose from I went for a week but only made the breakfast twice couldn’t get up in time but the twice I went there was lots to chose from!

I would definitely recommend this place. I would go back anyways was great!"

• Travel date: Mon 5th of June 2006

We visited this hotel and first impressi...

Reviewed Wed 29th of March 2006

"We visited this hotel and first impression is this isn't our hotel surely, as we got it as a last minute deal. It was fantastic, very impressive. The staff were more than helpful, the food was more than you could eat and choose from. There are 2 pools one as quiet as you like and the other as active as you like.

Evening entertainment, there was something on every night and after in the disco themed nights. Very entertaining. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone as it caters for every taste. I have booked to go again this year and cannot wait. I suggest you do the same.

• Travel date: Wed 29th of March 2006

I have just booked my 4th holiday at thi...

Reviewed Wed 25th of January 2006

"I have just booked my 4th holiday at this hotel, having previously visited in 2004 (twice) and 2005.

It has 3 star rating but 4 star service and quality. The entertainment team are working almost 24 hours, yet it has both active and quiet areas and pool sides making it the ideal venue for all ages and holiday tastes. The staff and management are polite, very obliging and helpful, nothing is too much trouble for them. It is kept clean, well maintained and the food and room service are exceptional. It is an easy less than 10 minuet walk to the sea front, but there is a free courtesy bus 6 times a day if you don’t want to walk. The casbah and Yumbo shopping centres are also very near within easy flat walking distance.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Travel date: Wed 25th of January 2006

The hotel is beautiful as soon as we pul...

Reviewed Tue 31st of August 2004

"The hotel is beautiful as soon as we pulled up outside we all knew we had picked a good hotel the grounds were kept spotless and the hotel was even cleaner. The staff are all extremely polite and are always there to help.

The rooms are very spacious my sister and I shared a twin room it had 2 single beds a sofa bed coffee table dressing table a chest of drawers and a stand for your suitcases and a balcony big enough to sunbathe on. The rooms are cleaned and fresh towels are left every morning.

Breakfast and dinner was buffet style with plenty of options like cereal fruit and fry ups for breakfast and salads and pasta to cooked meats and pizza for dinner. I never stayed in for the entertainment in the hotel so could not comment on it.

The hotel location was for me perfect it was a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel to most of the nightlife. You have the Irish centre to the left of the hotel and the kasbah centre to the right of the hotel the beach is about a 15 min walk all in all everything was close enough to reach by foot but far enough away from noise.

The swimming pools are quite big I only saw 2 but I have been told there are 3 of the 2 I saw, both were clean and tidy. One pool had entertainment during the day the other was good for those who liked to sunbathe in peace we picked the quiet one to sunbathe at there was always plenty of sunbeds available morning and afternoon.

There is a bar beside the reception and they serve delicious cocktails. I would recommend this hotel to anyone I would definitely use this hotel again.

This resort was brilliant it is not for those looking for a quiet peaceful holiday the nightlife is loud and it is always busy. Prices are quite reasonable most places offer 2 for 1 plus a free shot and sometimes a free cocktail all for between 6-8 euros. not sure if they offer this all the time but if you go in to china whites for a drink they stamp your hand and it gets you in to cream for free. Rogers is another good place to drink, Beck hams, Zigzags and the Hippodrome are also good there is a little cocktail bar called Sugar try the cocktails there they are amazing they are about 7 euros each but they don’t do 2 for 1 offers the glasses are bigger so it probably works out about the same amount as the 2 for 1 offers .

Never had to eat in restaurants so cant comment on the prices. I would recommend this resort to those looking for a lively holiday I will definitely be going back.

Watch out for the African women who try to shake your hand they hold on to you and then burn a horse hair bracelet on to your wrist then demand money for it keep your arms crossed say no and keep walking.

Be nice to the INFO people they are only doing their job and some of them are actually really nice if you get to know them."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of August 2004