Great Value, Friendly Hotel

Reviewed Fri 23rd of September 2011

"Having read through some of these reviews, I wonder where these people have been staying. It certainly isn't the Don Miguel Hotel I visit on a regular basis. Over the years I have stayed there six or seven times. The permanant staff, most of whom have been there for years are always friendly and welcoming. The hotel is clean and well appointed, and nothing is too much trouble for them. As to the Restaurant, Dinner (6-8 or 8-9:30pm)there is a fine choice of main courses and a wonderful selection of deserts. Addmittedly the menue repeats itself fortnightly, but with good well cooked food, so what; have a night out for a change. The Don Miguel is a good hotel, otherwise I and friends from Germany would not keep going back there."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of September 2011

Dreadful hotel and staff

Reviewed Tue 5th of July 2011

"Staff were rude and unhelpful rooms were not clean. The service in the restaurant was awful. The food was terrible. Worst holiday we have ever had. Other guests we spoke to said the same thing. This hotel should not have any star rating."

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of July 2011

Worth a 4*

Reviewed Wed 15th of September 2010

"I have stayed five times at the Don Miguel. It is a very pleasant, clean and friendly hotel. I see the same staff on each visit, and they could not be more helpful and friendly. The food is acceptable, good and plentiful. The small detractions are a lack of air conditioning and no fridge es in the rooms. Other than this it is a really good value and incredibly clean, wel;l run hotel. I love it!

Phillip Hamilton-Manon"

• Travel date: Wed 15th of September 2010

Would not recommend this hotel

Reviewed Wed 21st of July 2010

"Hotel dining room staff were very rude and unhelpful. The meals were at set times and guests were shouted at if they were late. The food was of poor standard and service was also very poor. Hotel catered mainly for the Germans. Hotel should be rated 2 star."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of July 2010

First time aboard enjoyed this holiday s...

Reviewed Sun 14th of September 2008

"First time aboard enjoyed this holiday staff friendly;food good breakfast not very hot though,maid service very good friendly and polite,waiters very nice and friendly.Lovely clean hotel and pool checked twice aday.Loads of German's not very friendly wouldn even share a lift with us .Not a hotel for children would say older adults.Entertainment not good very much geared to the German's and spanish .Only bad side to this hotel is the location it is on the main road and is very noisy 24 hours aday it never stops .Thompson rep ok but we had to go to a hotel down the road to see her.If you go here you must do the camel capers never had so much fun"

• Travel date: Sun 14th of September 2008

We flew British Airways and the flights...

Reviewed Fri 6th of July 2007

"We flew British Airways and the flights were great each way, with full complementary food and drink service. Flights were very good, and as we had chosen dates and times of course they suited us.

On arrival we got a taxi to and from the hotel, about a half hour away which was very reasonable.

The hotel checked us in and then we were off on a hike to find our room! It was a bit of a maze, even though it was almost a straight line but the levels went up and down so it was a bit confusing! We were located on the first floor the furthest away from reception you could get so it was a bit of a trek for meals or going to the bar or pool.

We spent a while trying to find a shortcut to the pool but there was not one. For this reason we did not use the pool, as we couldn’t see anywhere to change.

We ended up taking the rear exit via the garden into the street to leave the hotel as this was the quickest way of going out, and even getting to reception!

The hotel actually consists of about 3 main buildings, connected by steel gantries or staircases that are open to the elements. We had tons of rain the week we were there and these became lethally slippery despite the attempts to put mats down!

One day we recorded a video of the walk from reception to our room; it was about 10 minutes long so it gives an idea of the distance!

The room (once we were there) was very nice and pretty comfortable, nice balcony looking over the side street. The food was buffet style, and you are allocated one of two evening sittings 6pm or 8pm.

We sauntered in about 8:20 or so and there was no problem getting a table and plenty of good food. Also available is freshly cooked food served by the chefs. Nice choice of wine, beer and soft drinks brought to the table and charged to the room.

We later met a German guest who told us he always joined the queue at 8pm, and it was very busy apparently! He was also amazed that we only ate in the hotel twice, and asked us if we paid less than him! (No, we were half board as well but to eat there every night would be so boring!).

We eat out most night, sampling the fantastic restaurants around Playa. Of note, the Japanese Tepanyaki, the Indian restaurant and oh so many bars!

Overall a great week, slightly marred by the heaviest rain in 50 years (according to the taxi driver on the way to the airport!)! But we did the British thing and put on our Gortex and just walked out in it!

Highly recommend the resort, the hotel was OK but would probably not return to this one, not that it is bad, but next time will be a change of hotel for variety. Would certainly use Riu hotels again though.

It was the third time we had been there, and will probably be back in a year or so."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of July 2007

Riu Don Miguel is a pleasant hotel, well...

Reviewed Mon 2nd of July 2007

"Riu Don Miguel is a pleasant hotel, well located, nicely decorated, and spotlessly clean.

I think 3 * is right on the money for this hotel, the buffet breakfast is very much aimed at the German clientele, many of whom choose to stay here all year round.

Buffet dinner is of a reasonable standard, if a little repetitive.

The pool area is nice, plenty of loungers, parasols etc, and a lovely bar terrace area, for lunch, a beer, or simply to get out of the sun for a while.

The entertainment was nothing to write home about, but having said that I only seen it in passing, never stayed to see a full show.

The rooms were good, spacious, clean, and well serviced on a daily basis. The maids were friendly, towels etc changed on a daily basis.

I would certainly stay in this hotel again - the one down side to it is the lack of air conditioning - this can make it a little difficult to fall asleep - the remedy to that is to drink plenty of Sangria before bed, and this should be less of a problem - it worked for me!

All in all a relaxing week, with attentive staff, in a pleasant, clean and well maintained hotel - if it had air con, I think it could easily achieve 4 * status."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of July 2007

We’ve stayed with the Riu chain before...

Reviewed Sun 4th of February 2007

"We’ve stayed with the Riu chain before and the service and cleanliness was second to none. We thought we'd risk a 3* this time as most of the reviews were great and they all said it should be a 4*.

I haven’t any major bad views on this hotel...after reading other reviews on other sites we were expecting something fantastic as Riu standards are very very high...but we weren't that impressed, if anything this is EXACTLY what a 3* hotel should be!

Although, I must admit we've stayed in worse 5* hotels in turkey!

Other hotels should follow the example of Riu! Its the eye for detail that lets it down such as the lack of lighting. I'm sure I went out looking like a clown some nights after trying to put my make up on! ha-ha!

And lack of plug sockets-one in the bathroom and one where the TV is plugged in (once my hairdryer was plugged in the bathroom my boyfriend wasn’t too happy when the TV had to go off so my straighteners could warm up! ha-ha!).

They don’t provide pool towels (you can buy thin towels for 3.50 euros, or 3 for 10 euros down the Yumbo centre), there’s no hairdryer, only one bin (sounds strange but you don’t realise how you get used to two!).

I think you get the idea. They're not things to complain about but you do notice!

We arrived on the 27th of Jan and the weather was terrible, but on the 2nd day it was all cleared up and we had a few days of hot sun shine (around 24-26 degrees).

It was my boyfriend’s birthday while we were there, we didn’t tell them but somehow they knew and when we got back from our day out the maid had left a small bottle of cava and a happy birthday message which we thought was a lovely touch!

For dinner you are allocated a seating time...6pm or 8pm. as there was two of us and some of the tables are in 4's we were sat with another couple..Who were also English. Oh and that reminds me.. I think there were only about 6 or 8 couples in the hotel who were English.

RUI always do delicious food but we did find it a bit repetitive (even though they do try to do theme nights it still all taste the same!)

Breakfast: we really really struggled with breakfast...they've cereals (sugar puffs, coco pops, muesli etc) and the hot food is a range of different eggs, potatoes and pancakes and cold meats and cheese.

There’s also bread for toast but after putting it through the toaster twice and coming out the same as it went it we decided to give up on that idea!

The service is superb, I must admit. There’s always the manager roaming around to keep check on the smooth running of everything, everyone seems happy and this shows in the service provided for everything.

The hotel is almost straight across the road from the Yumbo centre, where there are plenty of shops and bars, although most of the bars at night attract gays and transvestites.

If you ask reception about bus stops they'll direct you to the nearest one just down the road. We had a day in Las Palmas (number 30 bus). It took around 45 mins to get there, costs around 10 euros there and 10 back.

Once you get to the bus station ask at the info desk for a map and they'll give you one that has the museums etc in the area.

I must admit we were a little confused when we stepped out of the station as to where the town was but a kind gentleman pointed across the road to the red building and said everything was behind there.

The town is just like a normal town, with M&S, Bodyshop and Animal shop and the architecture around is lovely.

From the same area you can get a bus to Puerto Rico and puerto Mogan. We didn’t go this time but heard it was about 10 euros each way again.

Overall we got what we paid for...a 3* half board. The service was fantastic, the cleanliness was fantastic.

If you get a good deal there’s no reason not to go to this hotel...but if you expect riu's 4* standards this is a long way off.

Be aware that this hotel is not near the beach (a short free bus away) and also be aware that this hotel is positioned on a roundabout."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of February 2007

A very pleasant hotel. The hotel has an...

Reviewed Wed 20th of September 2006

"A very pleasant hotel. The hotel has an official rating of three stars. Most tour operators have it in there books as a 4 star. We found the staff very helpful, the hotel was very clean through out, and the food was better than any 3 star hotels I have stayed in before. On the down side the rooms did not have air con and the hotel is very close to a main road. We would go back to this hotel again as we thought it was very good value for money."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of September 2006

The Don Miguel is a 3 star hotel in the...

Reviewed Fri 17th of March 2006

"The Don Miguel is a 3 star hotel in the centre of Playa del Ingles. It is approximately 1.5 Km from the beach but a courtesy coach runs from the hotel several times of day. The main shopping centre, The Yumbo (a bit of a concrete jungle) is less than 200metres away.

This hotel is absolutely fantastic. The standards of cleanliness are second to none. I have never been in a Hotel where all the staff, without exception, are extremely friendly. Get to know your waiters they are a lovely bunch of people. The menus are pretty limited but the choices are huge. Even the fussiest of eaters would be able to find something they like. The food is well cooked and hot. Most of the meat is prepared by the chefs in the restaurant so you can tell it has just been cooked.

You are given a set time for evening meal either 6pm or 8pm but these times are negotiable. Your table is yours for the week for dinner but at breakfast you can sit anywhere. Breakfasts take a little while to get into a routine, as you have to collect so many items from all over the restaurant i.e. coffee pots in one place, tea in another milk somewhere else and then you sit down and realise you have forgotten cutlery! Once you get to sit down the food is good with an amazing selection.

The hotel operates a no money policy so you just sign your docket whether it is for a bottle of water or an ice cream at the poolside. This means that you never have to take any money with you within the hotel grounds. The safe in the rooms are the cheapest I have ever had at 12 euros for 7 nights (again payable at the end of your stay)

The pool is advertised as heated but my cold feet would dispute this. The pool like the rest of the hotel is very clean but deep. It has an overall depth of 1.35 meters. I am 5’ 1” and the water came just above my chin around the edges and over my nose in the centre of the pool. There are ample sun beds and parasols and quite rigid removal of towels left unattended before 9am.

The majority of guests are German so you tend to hear more German than Spanish spoken. However if you can manage a few Spanish words you will be adored by the staff. The Thomson rep leaves out no details of flights home so it has to be looked up in the Portland file. There are many, many Tui files but they are all German or Dutch.

Ok so if this hotel is so good why is it only 3 star? I think the following may contribute to this. It is situated on a very busy main road and the majority of the rooms face the road rather than the pool. There is no air conditioning only ceiling fans. There is no tea or coffee making facilities and no fridges in the rooms. To my mind these were the only problem.

This resort has a huge gay following. We were extremely lucky to have timed our stay to coincide with the drag queen competition and the carnival. The site was truly spectacular. The floats (all 80 + of them) took nearly 4 hours to go past. Some were full of children others full of drag Queens.

The resort is has many commercial centers within walking distances.

Transfer by coach from the airport to the hotel is about 30 – 40 minutes.
If you are unhappy with any aspect of the hotel just ask the staff are really obliging.
Would I go back to this hotel again – definitely, just wish it was in better location."

• Travel date: Fri 17th of March 2006

Its tourism for the Teutonic Hordes- but really quite a nice hotel

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"I arrived here somewhat dishevelled having been bounced out of the Liberty Apartments next door through overbooking.

I thought all the staff were charming. Urbane receptionists full of calming encouragement & cheery chamber maids always up for a quick 'Hola!'

The clean room was pretty good with a strong power shower & whilst not all the rooms had great views none overlooked the busy intersection outside. My double bed was in a room which might have been a bit small for 2 but for 1 was fine. The balcony was functional but only rooms at the back had a decent view over garden villas

Usually its half board & whilst I skipped the evening meals the breakfast buffet was fine & offered good variety regularly topped up through breakfast although the layout of the food was too well spaced- the jams seemed to be in a different time zone to the breads for instance. It did get very busy around 9 to 9.30am

Most guests seemed to be German or Austrian (all the tour guide books were in German) but despite that you could get sunbeds by the pool pretty much all day long. (I don't think the hotel was full but probably 75%+ capacity). Bar prices were reasonable with a fair sized terrace offering sun or shade

Its a 20 minute walk to the beach (either Playa or the edge of the Maspalomas Dunes ) but it was very handy for the Yumbo Centre- so very easy to tumble into bed after a Cointreau fuelled evening in the bars. There is a free shuttle bus to the beach & you are close to bus stops as well

Key downside- no easy free parking & even limited unloading space. If you are used to silence then this is not quite the place but with double glazing the traffic can be shut out.

Would I go back? Yes I would but I was particularly taken with the standard of Riu hotels & would search them out by choice again- perhaps digging in my pockets a little deeper & going to one of their 4 or 5 star landmark hotels"

• Travel date: Wed 8th of March 2006

excellent staff

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"we stayed at the don miguel in feb staff was the best we ever seen in a hotel nothing was to much for them,it was very clean food was the best we have had in a long time in a hotel was excellent,was to quiet round the pool could of done with a bit of music, hotel is 5 min walk from yumbo centre for shopping and entertainment, would go back and stay again."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of February 2006

Hotels near Hotel Riu Don Miguel

Top traveller tips for Hotel Riu Don Miguel

• Frequent Visitor to Don Miguel by Frequent Visitor to Don Miguel

"Take the second dinner seting, 8-9:30pm and enjoy the Caberet before hitting the town. "

Hotel Riu Don Miguel is also called