Gold By Marina

Av Estados Unidos de America 15, 35100 Playa del Ingles, Maspalomas, Gran Canaria Spain

Good
( 1902 reviews)

Perfect Stay (Again).

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"Like some of the reviewers have pointed out already, the Carmen Apartments are in need of a little updating however, I have stayed at this family-run hotel twice and both experiences have been wonderful. The apartments (studios and 1-beds) are quite large with generous balconies (many with a partial sea or full sea-view) and whilst they are aging they are immaculate. Each room comes with a television, large safe, 2-hob kitchenette with full 1/2-size fridge freezer and all of the crockery you will need. There is a small shop on floor 0 and a larger supermarket 2 minutes walk away called 'Custom'. The staff are all very efficient/friendly and the building is secured with cameras, pass entry and locked doors at night (access via reception and a buzzer after 12am). The pool area and small garden is lovely and there are shower facilities and a luggage room for check out, plus internet terminals in the lobby. The location is perhaps the biggest pro of this hotel as it is 5 minutes to the Yumbo Center [the commercial centers in Spanish resorts are mostly awful and desperately need updating but this one is a little bit better] and 5 minutes to the beach. For the price I paid for 1 week I was VERY impressed and intend to return again early next year. When the apartments are refurbished, which I'm sure they will be, this place could go through the roof as all of the basics are there for a great beach holiday."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of December 2007

Good value, great location

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"Just returned from a week at the Carmen apartments at Playa Del Ingles. Great location being just minutes walk from both the Cita and Yumbo centres and close to the beach too. Great supermarket next to apartments too..

Rooms serviced regularly and a decent sized pool / garden sunbathing area. If you are not expecting the Ritz then you won't be disappointed. Good value, clean and convenient apartments...."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of November 2007

Good location but..........

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"The Carmen Apartments were well situated approximately 5 minutes walk from the Yumbo centre and Tourist information, 10 minutes walk from the beach and right next to a fairly large supermarket and (mainly German) bar complex called the Sandia Centre. Bus stops for various buses are close by ( including the (no 66) hourly bus from the airport (3.5 euros per person) takes 45 minutes and drops you off at the Yumbo centre).

We stayed in a studio room which was a good size and well-presented. The beds were the 2 sofas (already made up when you took the top counterpane off) and these could be pushed together and were quite comfortable. Then kitchenette and bathroom facilities (surprisingly good showers!) were fine. The room had a tv (numerous channels but only SkyNews in English) and a room safe was available for a small charge. Our room was clean and looked like it had been recently painted.

Maid service was 5 times a week and towels and bedlinen (although often not looking new) were clean and changed frequently.

The reception area was manned 24 hours a day and also had a bar, pool table and internet access available.

The swimming pool and pleasant surrounding grounds were well kept with a number of free sunbeds with mattresses available. A poolside snack bar offered a small range of drinks and snacks though we did not use it and so cannot comment on it further. There was also a good-sized sun terrace on the third floor although it only had a few sunbeds on it.

Recommendations:

Food – Chez Luigi’s (Sandia Centre) – good food and friendly service at very reasonable prices and unlimited free afterdinner liquers (brandy/rum/schnapps)! Also check out Las Camelias (about 5-10 minutes walk from Carmen apts) – unlimited buffet including steak, kebabs etc grilled to order for 9.75 euros.
Beer – Big Ben and Mackeys – 1euro a pint
Entertainment - Yumbo Centre - check out the hilarious (free) drag show at Ricky’s.
Internet access – 20mins for 50cents at the games arcade on the ground floor of the Yumbo Centre (much cheaper than in the Carmen reception area)
No-no’s:

Wembleys (beer = 3.5 euros a pint!)
Irish Centre (ladies loos had no paper, soap, towels or even light in the loos!)

We found the Carmen Apartments to be very good value for money. All staff were very friendly and helpful and we would have no hesitation in staying there again."

• Travel date: Sat 14th of July 2007

No Carmen Elektra!

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"Nice on the outside, comparative confusion on the inside!
Upon approach, the sandy orange colour is a contrast to the white hotels splashed all across Gran Canaria. (Being my 7th visit to the Island, it does make a change!) However changing my hotel wasnt on my list of things I felt I needed to do upon arrival.

Whatever you do - Do not book a studio - you will be given an apartment where the bed is the sofas put together to make a bed!!! Not best pleased and let down by the lack of help at reception and my tour operator who had gone aloof! Anyways initial shock over - Im on holiday after all and time is precious.

Location is great for the Yumbo Centre, Cita Centre, Gym underneath the Barbados Apartments and for the walk onto the dunes via the avendia de tirajana. But unfortunately thats as far as it goes. There was building work going on across every day and although watching the builders was initially enthralling, it soon became an eyesore..
However, enough waffle - in terms of location for the above, there are better located hotels/apartments - try Rondo or Los Tilos, Los Tilos is a much better cheaper location and Rondo much more upmarket , although 3 star, its more 3plus and worth paying the supp for H/B.
As for Carmen, unless you get this hotel for £320 for two weeks, then you are being ripped off! Even the nice touch of free bed rolls every morning dosent make for the dull experience, Carmen Apts can bring.
Definently shop around for hotels around the price youre getting for this apartment and I guarentee you'll find better.

Good Luck! O and quick tip - if you want to do some shopping, go north up the avienda de tirajana past San Fernando shopping centre, to your right and youll find an array of local shops at much more competetive prices aswell as a very helpful laundrette! Go wander, its a fascinating island!"

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of April 2007

Location, location, location

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Carmen Apts for 9 nights over Easter week, having stayed there two years previously. It was absolutely fine for what it cost. The room was basic, the decor a bit tired, and the fittings a lttle aged, but it was clean and it was serviced on 7 out of the 9 days we were there. Our coffee maker gave up the ghost on the second night but way replaced with a new one the following day. The pool area and bar have been recently renovated and is quite a nice place to chill out.
If you want to be near the action then this is the Carmen's trump card - about 200m from the Yumbo Centre and a little more from the beach. Despite this it is relatively quiet with the main disturbance being the occassional coach trying to negotiate the tight corner of a narrow street nearby.
Overall, you get what you pay for - would recommend as a budget place to stay near all the amenities but don't expect luxury at this price."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of April 2007

Good !

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"I stayed in the hotel for three nights in March 2007. I chose it due to its proximity to the centre and Yumbo & Citta CC. Actually, they're about 200 metre from them, so you avoid the noisy clubs when you go to sleep.
I had read the bad critics and was a bit suspicious before my arrival. But the hotel is fine ! The price is OK, one of the cheapest I found in the area, but it's clean and provides standard facilities of a 2* hotel : clean and rather quiet compared to the location and the structure of the building (I was on the 4th floor with a view on the mountains and the road).
Globally, I was very pleased with my stay."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of March 2007

Very Nice Hotel

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"I have stayed at this hotel for two weeks. I simply cannot understand the negative reviews I have read. Though not luxurious, it is a comfortable hotel. Clean, quiet, close to the Yumbo Centre and very close to the beach. The Staff were helpful and well informed. I brought with me my laptop to watch DVDs when not going out and to my surprise I had free Wireless Broadband connection in my room (1.5Mb). Very pleased with that as I could keep in touch with all my friends and family without having to use some of the dire net cafes around.

The room was cleaned on a daily basis. The pool area was nice, cool an clean. I was in room 304 which is on the first floor and it was very quiet. Just opposite my room there was a flight of steps leading to a large roof terrace with sun loungers which I used when I wanted to sunbathe away from the crowd. All in all I would recomend this hotel as being affordable, well located, clean and friendly."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of March 2007

3 keys you must be joking

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"stayed 2nd november 2006 for a week we had booked a 1 bed apartment (room 117) which was next to a utility come store room on the ground floor which was very noisey especially early in the morning. we had large cockroaches for company although they did provide us with a spray to fend them off with. The bathroom and shower area was disgusting which included rusty pipes mouldy tiles and cracked brown looking sealant around the bath area.Overall the reception area was nice but the apartment was the pits!"

• Travel date: Fri 10th of November 2006

Nice Hotel

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"I was a bit worried about going to this hotel due to some of the reviews I'd read. I found it to be absoluely fine, it was clean, cheap and cheerful, the rooms were more than ample with good showers and I never saw one cockroach. I would definately recommend to the budget traveller or someone who's not intrested in paying a fortune for accomodation.

Well done Apartmentos Carmen!"

• Travel date: Tue 27th of June 2006

I Can't believe we lasted 2 nights !!

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"We have just returned from Playa Del Ingles, originally booked into Apartments Carmen for seven nights.

The room given us looked as though it hadn't seen a paint brush for fifty years, very poorly decorated and we did not even have a proper bed, just two single sofas that were bolted onto the wall and not moveable.

The bathroom was equally dirty looking and has a stagnant smell to it.

We asked to be moved and were given a room directly two floors above of the same standard. We eventually wasted a day finding alternative accomodation that was palacial in comparison and only slightly more expensive (Aloe Apartments on Tiryjana avenue).

If you enjoy sharing your holiday with the LARGE cockroaches, then by all means book here, otherwise avoid like the plague (OF COCKROACHES !!)

Marks out of 10 ? - Forget it"

• Travel date: Sun 20th of November 2005

Excellent time

Reviewed Wed 22nd of December 2010

"I have stayed at the carmen aprts on 2 occasions and found the Staff helpful and courteous at all times room clean and tidy and all the amenties at hand, I am going back in 2011 and looking forward to going home thats how I feel about them "

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of December 2010

had a wonderful time staying here early...

Reviewed Wed 4th of June 2008

"had a wonderful time staying here early may 2008. so much in fact am heading back july 08. the apartments are basic no frills, but clean cheap (we paid £160 for 8 nights)and well maintained, very friendly staff and helpful, i lost my passport and they told me to report it to the police.... produced a map and ordered me a taxi. One note unwary travellers thinking of staying here should bare in mind is that it is very close to the Yumbo centre and does cater for the gay community..... being a tranny it suited me fine..... but i did get a few open eyed stares from some unsuspecting guests!!! one slight negative is that some of the rooms have very poor views..... but the pool area and sun terrace do compensate."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of June 2008

Hotels near Gold By Marina

Stayed at Gold By Marina? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Gold By Marina

• gersfan by gersfan

"that it is down to earth clean and tidy "

Gold By Marina is also called