Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa

• tennis court
  • kids club
  • babysitting

Good

Book it with Confidence-My Fav Hotel so far...

Reviewed Wed 30th of June 2010

"We have just come back from a week at the Cordial Mogan Playa and loved it, no hotel is perfect but this is damn near close. We arrived at 1.30am with only another couple on the bus, last drop off. We were greeted by lovely staff, efficient, organised, spoke excellent english. We were offered a glass of champagne, orange juice or water to quench our thirst while waiting for our keys and our own bellboy who carried our cases to the room! Now thats what I call good service, after years of being given dodgy directions and half an hour been spent getting lost and arguing with my husband when we cant find the hotel room, this was astounding!
The room was lovely, very spacious bathroom with lovely fittings and tiles. You get a complimentary fridge in the room and a safe. After driving our champagne we went to bed exhausted after a long day of travelling.
In the morning breakfast was amazing, fantastic selection of foods ranging from fruit, yoghurt, cereal,cooked breakfasts, cold meats and the selection of danish pastry's had my husband drooling every morning, but the thing that impressed me was the champagne on offer every morning to help yourself too. The main thing that got me about the restaurant was the setting, other hotels Ive stayed in always fall down flat for the buffet with the setting, it always looks canteen-like. No here, we always sat on the terraces over looking the oriental water pool and pagoda, it was like being in bali!
The pool and gardens are immaculately clean and tidy, with lots of sunbeds and parasols and no performance with towels on the sunbeds etc, nothing so tacky! The pool was always warm and while it is salt water not chlorinated, this didnt sting your eyes at all.
The entertainment wasnt great but it never is, lets face it, would do some people expect? A west end show? Youre on holiday, chill out, have a drink and have a laugh. Enjoy the Elvis look a like-we did!
The resort is quiet but thats why we picked it, and best of all it was free of lucky-lucky men and chavs! Hoorah!
If you want a quiet relaxing holiday in a first class hotel-you'll love it. If you want lots of bars, disco's and Eastenders on in the bars on an evening go to Puerto Rico. Its horses for courses.
We will be going back soon.
Adios, Hasta Leugo!"

• Travel date: Tue 29th of June 2010

Absolutely fantastic! Great value for mo...

Reviewed Tue 2nd of September 2008

"Absolutely fantastic! Great value for money. Exceptionally friendly service, always helpful.
We stayed at a junior suite, the breakfast on the terrace was great (I must admit we hat fantastic weather).
I recommend walking out to visit the old fishing port (about 50m from the hotel, don't forget your key to get back in).
The main pool is great, although crowded at peak times. Recommend the smaller pool. Didn't try the Spa, though it looked nice and very inviting.
A must!"

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of September 2008

To my surprise after reading some of the...

Reviewed Thu 12th of June 2008

"To my surprise after reading some of the bad reviews on this hotel, I was amazed to find that this hotel complex was fantastic, the staff were friendly and helpful,every where was so clean, the room we had was a real treat as well as a patio area we had a lovely little bit of lawn. The spa was a real pleasure and relaxing we didn't consider the cost to bad either it was 10 euros per person for 2 hours, not long you may think but it was long enough we then had more time to get out and relax in the sun by the pool. The marina is close by you can take a stroll through the lovely gardens on the complex and go out through a secure gate at the back.
As for the food what a choice, we were never disappointed, and what a bonus in the mornings at breakfast you could even make yourself a bucks fizz!!
This was one of the most relaxing holidays we have had in a very long time and wouldn't hesitate to return.
There are only really two points that let the hotel down, which is a shame and that is the entertainment in the evening could be loads better and last a bit longer. Our check in was a bit rushed, I think this could be because we arrived in the early hours of the morning."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of June 2008

Totally fantastic holiday!! When we too...

Reviewed Tue 3rd of June 2008

"Totally fantastic holiday!!

When we took the coach to the hotel, it was scary as we were taken around the tops of the mountains on narrow cliff edges, but the driver knew what he was doing so I just closed my eyes.
On arrival we were given champagne,orange juice or water, I took the champagne I needed the drink after the coach journey. Reception were very friendly and informative. Our cases were taken to the room for us. The room was very nice, clean and fresh, overlooking the pool.

The hotel itself is stunning, boasting 2 pool areas either end of the hotel complex, tennis court,bowling alley and Spa.

There was never a problem getting a sunbed, the first 3 days we were there we had the shingle area by the shallow end of the pool all to ourselves. On the Thursday evening a lot of Spanish people turned up due to the Bank Holiday so it got very busy.

I have to say we only saw one show due to one being cancelled and not going to the others, (we saw spanish dancers who were really good, but only on for about 45 minutes) when there is a show on you can be waiting for a drink for some time as there are not many bar staff or waiters/waitresses on.

The food was nice although seem to have Pork every night which I don't like, but always something to eat.

The hotel bar and food prices were very reasonable, so did not spend all the money we took.

The actual resort is very quiet, which I like, very localised and not all your commercial theme pubs which make places look like Benidorm.
There quite a few restaraunts down by the harbour, which is very pleasant and you can feed the fish with bread rolls we often bought from the supermarket.
There is a bar called Zoo which has a snake,terrapins and iguana's inside.

We did not do the beach as none of us like the beach, but it seemed very nice and pleanty of people on it.

There was a market on the Friday but the stalls were very repetative, belts,jewellery,hair braiding, sunglasses.

To sum it up the hotel is fantastic set in a mountain back drop, resort quiet and unspoilt by theme bars, lager louts and chavs, if you want that you should go to Peurto Rico.

If you are looking for a quiet relaxing holiday somewhere to unwind away from work this is the place to go.

For someone not to enjoy this holiday is beyond me, obviously chose the wrong type of holiday.

My 7 year old daughter did not want to leave, it must have been good.

Will definitley go back."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of June 2008

We’ve just come back from our stay at...

Reviewed Tue 28th of August 2007

"We’ve just come back from our stay at the Cordial Mogan Playa and having read the other comments I feel I shall do the same.

On arrival we had hired a car which made it quicker than waiting for the transfers on offer by coach to get to the hotel, we arrived at the hotel at 11pm and were greeted with a much needed cold glass of water.
On arrival in the hotel room we were happy with the level of standard it had to offer although it did have a stuffy musty smell to it, otherwise it was very clean and looked after. We had a lovely balcony view of a tree and then an inch view of the pool!!

The breakfast was set out in a nice fashion and there was allot on offer, but the evening meal was dull and boring and not very appealing, oh yes, please be aware that the Spanish get first priority over everything!! And the older male waiters are quite arrogant with the British!!

You get the choice to swap your evening meal for lunch; please don’t do this as lunch is only leftovers from night before warmed up!!!!

The evening entertainment is utter nonsense, you would no get away with that rubbish shown in England, be aware of the 'French Dancers ' show as there performance was very provocative and sexual even in front of little children!!

The children’s Disco is rubbish playing only 5 songs in the same order every night and again please be aware that the Spanish children get to win all the games!!

Also be aware that the excursions are not as they are made out to be, we went on the Sioux City evening we paid 140 euros for a night of overrated rubbish that was a waste of time and money the free bbq was a scabby sausage and a cold chop and a stale bread roll and a undercooked potato size of a golf ball!!

The free drink on offer is rubbish too, the beer they give you is only a mouthful and flat. The animals there look seriously underfed and the horses especially need some care the stables were damp and small with no hay or any comfort. The show they put on is very basic with three girls doing pointless dances which don’t have any relevance to the Wild West and they were seriously out of rhythm.

Also note that the pool water is full of salt which made my daughter very ill with her eyes and also feeling sick, the water also in the rooms is full of chlorine which destroyed my hair and made my daughters eyes even worse.

The hotel overall is very nice and clean but the location is bad there’s nothing to do on the night there unless you venture out to Peurto Rico.

Would only recommend this hotel to older people without children who want to lay in sun all day and go to bed early on a night!!!!

• Travel date: Tue 28th of August 2007

This is a lovely hotel if you are lookin...

Reviewed Mon 2nd of July 2007

"This is a lovely hotel if you are looking for a peaceful holiday. The hotel is lovely and clean. The restaurant is very busy during the weekends so opted for earlier sitting on these days.

The rooms are kept clean and towels changed daily if required.

We travelled with 2 adult friends, one was wheelchair disabled, and we feel the hotel caters well for guests with disabilities.

I would recommend this hotel for people over 40 and young couples. There was some kids here but there isn't much to do in the evening.

We found the evening entertainment quite cheesy however some shows are quite good but only last 45 mins.

This is a great hotel to rest and relax amongst beautiful plants and trees. Staff are very friendly and eager to help with any problems.

Mogan harbour is a lovely stroll 10 mins away - market day if Friday for those last minute gifts.

Best trip was the Las Vegas show & casino in Meloneras with dinner and entertainment - for 58 euro with coach transfer. This was a great evening; remember to take your passport if you want to play roulette!!

Only problem I had with the hotel was the late pickup 1am, we checked out at 6pm paying 50 euro with Travel Company. As we were not offered a meal despite missing dinner the first night. Good job we had some money left to eat out. Be Aware!!

A late checkout room will cost you 20 euro with the hotel however this is hard to come by at the weekends."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of July 2007

As with other reviews we were last drop...

Reviewed Fri 22nd of June 2007

"As with other reviews we were last drop on the coach, but the rep did take us to the hotel. She did actually say to us don't worry it's worth the wait after the others departed the coach.

As you arrive at reception it is amazing- fantastic decor, a fountain, a stained glass domed roof which during sunlight hours reflects its colours onto the rocks and waterfalls which are also a feature of the hotel. The grounds are fantastic also well kept, the staff friendly and helpful.

There are enough lifts in the hotel so you are never kept waiting (unlike the Gloria Palace).

The rooms are good but perhaps a little small, there is building work on some sides of the hotel and we booked into a room with a crane outside it, but the hotel moved us the same day on request.

The only let down was the food they did seem to cater for German taste at breakfast which is okay if you’re willing try something new. Also the sections of the buffet set up were spread out over most of the restaurant noticeably more than at other hotels.

The evening meal was over two sittings when we checked in we were told the second sitting was until 10.30pm but it was actually until 10pm on the first night we arrived at 9.45pm and was told we were too late!!

On the Friday restaurant was busy all night having to wait for a table then you couldn’t get the buffet due to the queue for the Grill, which wrapped itself around the rest of the buffet. Perhaps this could have been better organised by the management, it felt like you were back at school so we ate out that night instead.

We booked a trip and didn't get to go on it, as the time changed and the fax didn't reach us but got a refund, which was all the same disappointing. Mogan centre and the beach are just minutes away the walk through the grounds of the hotel is nicer as there is some shade unlike on the street.

Mogan itself with no street sellers or touts which is nice change, the beach is clean and not overcrowded. If you want a lively evening you are better in another resort, but if you want a fantastic hotel with a nice resort and no hassle go to the Cordial."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of June 2007

I thought I would give a quick search on...

Reviewed Tue 15th of May 2007

"I thought I would give a quick search on Cordial Mogan Playa, as have booked the same holiday for Jun 2007. Basing this on First Choice Platinum Range, aimed for couples, it's great for a peaceful relax with good grounds, facility, room and being one of the best I’ve been too. This maybe because it's the newest.

Booked the same holiday as we know what we're getting, and wanted a nice relax, and due to time of booking and booked time off work and on a set budget there wasn't many other options for 14 nights half board as nice.

Reading some of the above comments and trigged my memory.

Transfer is one of the furthest from airport. Rep didn't come all the way to the hotel and as the only couple left on the bus at 4am it wasn't the best feeling.

Hotel hall is amazing.

Taken to our bedrooms, it's one of the best I’ve stayed at. We had a fridge at no extra cost I think, nothing in there, but we kept our own drinks cool, which was nice. The safe also was there and easy to use and also free as I used it and didn't get charged.

Bit disappointed with lack of English TV channels. Not that I went on holiday to watch TV, but those moments where you wanted to just flick it was German, Spanish, French. So I watched the f1 grand prix on the best channel I could find which was German.

Hotel complex was good. Restaurant, nice buffets, but having been to other hotels before would have been nice to have more themed nights, as most nights was very similar.

The eggs in the morning just make sure they are boiled, as every time we picked one it was really runny.

As above comments can get quite busy and waiting for drink service can be a pain.

If you go too late, you'll find that a lot of the better desserts are gone.

With two pools quite similar we stayed near the blue buildings the family ones. Not too sure why, but we liked it from day one so stayed there. With free sunbeds and cushion etc.

The activities rep can get quite annoying with announcements or pool games. Some of the "show of" type of guys really do lob that polo ball, so don't sit behind the goals when they play water polo.

Things we didn't really use:
Tennis court - as it was too hot
Gym - I’m on holiday
Table tennis, as I think getting the ball and bats at reception was too much hassle
All these are free.

They have a separate sauna, Jacuzzi, which we had a quick go - think it's free.
There’s also pampering options - but seemed expensive.

Night time entertainment was very cheesy although worth a laugh and something easy to do after dinner. But it was the same acts and was the activity reps from the day.
They did have a magician which was good. Make sure you get a good seat, as there are massive pillars.

On day one we booked a few excursions:
Sioux City for our last night - we waited for a good hour or two at reception and rep never turned up! So it took a few phone calls to sort out which was very annoying and to ensure we got out money back. The rep even saw me in the morning to say see you later.

Disappointed this was planned for something special for our last night. Money was given back from the rep on the transfer back to the airport. So money for duty free. But no good will gesture! After reading the above comment about this, I’m glad we didn't go and won't be thinking of this next time. The reps really do sell this as being one of the best nights so beware.

Camel ride - don't be scared as my other half wasn't sure, they are all tame and the ride and visit to some where they are kept are a must as it's not expensive. Only thing is picking and dropping people off on the coach at other hotels. Also you get dropped off to see a market, but just cheap tack.

Sorted out own submarine ride. Just a novelty factor, but you don't see anything but a broken ship and some rocks. Not worth the money, unless the novelty factor I wanted.

The village/ town itself is about 3 minutes walk! So you get to the coast in 5 mins, few tourists shops, boutiques, crafts etc. nothing amazing though. Although there is a market on Friday I think, but many cheap fake stuff!

Oh yeah there's a supermarket or spa about 3 minutes walk, where I ended up buying snacks and water from, as hotel snack and drinks was limited during the day and I think a small bottle of water cost 4 times the amount of one which was 4 times as big from the outside shops.

So I think in the hotel it cost about £1.50 for a small bottle of water about 500ml while in Spa a 2-5 litre one would cost less than a pound!

All in all a great complex, nice relax, things to see on a short walk. Nice people there.
So I hope this year exceeds last year (some how).

If you’re looking for night life part action, it's the wrong place, Playa de Ingles is better I’m led to believe, which reps can sort out for you or just order a taxi.

I'll be surprised if you find a nicer complex on this island at similar prices.

Talking about prices I always wonder how much other people pay that includes us Brits and other tourists, German, Spanish etc.

For 2 weeks Half Board at a 4+ star hotel per person for us was about £700.

Have fun!"

• Travel date: Tue 15th of May 2007

heaven

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"We have recently returned from a restfull week at the Cordial Mogan Playa. The weather was wonderful, the hotel stunning. The only disappointment was that there is alot of new build going on very close to the resort. Every now and again the peace was shattered by drilling and banging. We stayed in a junior suite which was lovely, set in their own private courtyards. This hotel is close to the local harbour and small beach. The main small shopping centre is only a stroll away. On friday it became very busy with coachloads of tourists shipped in for the local market. At night the hotel entertainment was poor and we ventured into the harbour which was holding a "Jazz festival" in the square, which seemed to draw out all the over 70`s that are staying there over winter. The hotel is very clean and the rooms serviced to a high standard daily. The "Half-board" option included a lovely buffet breakfast in the "tamorona rest". The evening buffet was in the main restaurant; this is where you need to be canny. If you get there after 8.30pm, your choices are limited and getting a table set up for evening was scarce..My only complaint with this set up is that from 8.30pm they were setting the tables for breakfast which I found irrititating; when we had not even had our evening meal yet. The choices of meals was varied but sometimes getting a drink order taken was sporadic. The restaurant service I found was the only downside to the hotel that set it apart from its 5 star equivalents.Tip for new male visitors; you can wear jeans in the restaurant in the evenings, just not shorts...
I would return to this hotel, but I fear that in 2 years time the resort will grow to become just another commercialised centre, judging by all the new buildings that are shooting up all over."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of October 2006

Beautiful Hotel, would recommend

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"Beautiful Hotel. There's not a lot I disagree with from any of the previous reviews- I guess it all depends on what you're looking for.

The rooms are beautiful- very roomy, well appointed and with a decent sized balcony- yes, the lights on the balcony do go out at 11pm- not really sure why!

Both pool areas lovely. No problems at all with getting sunbeds during the week- we were generally only down at the pool between 10.30 and 11 and weekdays, we always got a good choice of sunbed. At the weekend, the place is swarming with Spanish and people from other Canary Islands, so it's a lot busier- it's a shock after the quiet week!

The service in the restaurant does let this 4 star hotel down. As you can pay with your keycard for drinks at mealtimes, the waiters know straight away whether they can expect a tip at the end, so the service does often reflect that. NB- one of the other reviews mentioned free drinks at mealtimes, which other than at breakfast, isn't accurate- all drinks, hot and cold had to be purchased. Waiters getting tables ready for breakfast is pretty irritating, especially when lots of people are still coming down for their evening meals.

There are DVD players in all rooms, so I strongly recommend taking some with you if you have them. There is a machine to hire DVD's for 24 hours, at a very reasonable price, but the couple of times we tried to use it, it was either broken or the film we fancied watching was already hired out. We thought the DVD players were only in the suites, so hadn't bothered to take any.

We've been stung a couple of times with hotels that wouldn't allow my husband to wear cropped pants for evening meals, but this hotel is a bit more relaxed in that respect- shorts aren't allowed and they do expect you to be reasonably dressed, but we didn't have any problems here.

The evening bar and entertainment area is lovely to look at- it looks as though the bar belongs in a fairly upmarket, funky place. The entertainment lets it down. The external acts are worth seeing but the nights when the activities teams provided the entertainment were pretty poor. On these nights, it's worth trading your evening meal in for lunch and heading down to the marina instead. We had some kind of German slapstick comedy which we just couldn't get our heads around and a mime-along Grease night, the words of which the team obviously didn't know, with a few random German songs thrown in every here and there!

All in all, if you're looking for lovely surroundings and a nice relaxing team, this hotel is a good bet. It's not in a very commercial area, so if you want clubs and lots of night time activity, head for Puerto Rico or Playa del Ingles. We really enjoyed our time here and the negative comments above didn't overshadow a lovely holiday."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of September 2006

Great hotel

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"We have just returned from two great weeks at this hotel. I agree with some of the reviews on the site regarding the luke warm food. This is a very easy problem for the hotel to fix and shouldnt really spoil your enjoyment.

The hotel is beautiful with lots of water everywhere. Reception is quite impressive, relaxing and unique. The hotel grounds are some of the best I have seen and the whole place is kept very clean and tidy. They even wash the public walkways every day!!

The pools are also lovely with plenty of room. The hotel has a policy of no reserving of sunbeds but of course people do still do this. One of my pet hates when going on holiday is playing the little game of getting up early to reserve - it really spoils the holiday. If you do find that you cant get a bed you only need to mention it to the pool supervisor and they will get you more beds/parasols so its not a big issue.

Puerto Mogan itself is really pretty - not at all what I expected. Its not over commercialised (yet) but there is a bit of building going on so give it a few more years... It is really peaceful and the harbours are lovely. The beach is also quite good if small. Very clean though.

All in all I would definitely recommend the hotel and resort if you want peace and quiet and the chance to relax and unwind. Dont go here if you want late nights, loud music, bars and shops!"

• Travel date: Thu 31st of August 2006

GREAT HOTEL SHAME ABOUT THE FOOD

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"First of all let me say that this Hotel is Magnificent .

The grounds are Wonderfull .Banana trees ,Pineapples trees ! Its kept spotlessly clean. The rooms are fairly spacious and kitted out to a very high standard , they are also kept spotlessly clean.
The reception was wonderful with indoor waterfalls bridges etc. Welcomed on arival with a glass of Cava (nice touch) Spa area one to try its free and has a lovely patio area for you to sun bath. Now the downsides.

You have to pay for the fridge in your room 1e per night (bit tight that for a four star plus )

Pools close at 19.00hrs every night why?? Staff start collect the lovely cushions in starting at 17-45 which gives you the impression that they want you to move.

Food I agree with other reviews regarding the choice and Cava for Breakfast and Lumpfish row (not caviar). There was nothing you couldn't get for breakfast . However most of it was served tepid or cold Bacon cold , Sausages from the "Hot "counter luke warm. In fact the food on the Hot counter opposite the gridle was always luke warm at best . So although you had a great deal of choice it was ok if you like cold food. Now I hear you thinking that this is a Full english breakfast chap and there must of been something that you could eat . Well i consider myself to have very catholic tastes and i am prepared to try anything . I am a trained chef and was dissapointed at the temperature of the food. We stayed Half board so we were sort of tied to the restaurant on site .
Evening Meals were the same . If you were a Meat and two veg sort of person, some days i would think you would struggle. Meals were in two sittings (how weird is that in a four star plus hotel?) My wife and I choose the second sitting 20.30 -22-00hrs . It just seemed to be a rush ,waiters started to lay up for breakfast at 20.45 which again gave the impression that they didn't want you in there. e. Oh I forgot to add Balcony lights went off at 23-00??All in all to sum up . A very very nice hotel badly let down by the Food and food service. I wouldn't go again"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of August 2006

Hotels near Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa

Stayed at Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa

• haleysbeau by haleysbeau

"Get booked up and enjoy it! "

Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa is also called