Palm Oasis Maspalomas

Albert Einstein, S/n, Parcela 34 Sonnenland, 35100, Maspalomas, Gran Canaria Spain

Good

Pretty Resort but not good if your apartment terrace faces the road

"the overall holiday was good but i would not stay at this resort again. After putting out our towels on sun beds at 6am 3 times i got fed up with it. By 10am in august there was no chance of having a sun bed - not even at 8am there wasn't much choice neither. I guess if you are an early riser this would not be a problem. Coming from reception make sure your apartment is not on the right side of the resort - you will not get any sleep at night if you sleep with the door to the terrace open as there is constant traffic on the road below and it is noisey.
The actual apartment was OK - as we had our 2 boys with us (10 & 8) they were expected to sleep on the uneven pull out sofa bed. They found it uncomfortable so every night we dragged the sun loungers from the terrace into the living room and they loved sleeping on those.
Do not expect any decent English speaking channels on the satelite tv. Only BBC Prime, BBC World and Sky News - oh and the usual CNN.
We only ate at the resturant once and it was the evening buffet - which we quite enjoyed.
The pub and disco was OK too. A little pricey but then the drink were very generous. The kids are welcome too.
The views from the around the resorts were amazing - check it out at night
The resort was lovely and clean but the little things that would have made this holiday special was lacking. I would recommend this resort for a week's stay only but maybe not in August ."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of September 2007

fabulous

"Just returned from Palm Oasis and I have to say it was a beautiful complex. Beautiful pools and surroundings. The weather was perfect for the two weeks we stayed.
If I was to say anything negative it would be the men workin on reception could be on occasion rude and unhelpful.
On the whole we had a lovely relaxing holiday"

• Travel date: Sat 21st of July 2007

Sun and Relaxation

Good

"My husband and I are both 30 years old, American, and stayed at the resort through his parent's timeshare with Interval. This was our first "time share" experience and we really enjoyed the large apartment-style room and flexibility of being able to make our own meals when we wanted, very cost-saving. The Chinese restaurant across the street had the best spring rolls I've ever eaten, bar none. We didn't bother going into the bar onsite at all, cause it was basically empty every time we walked past it. Used the internet cafe one, which was fine. The activities onsite were basically non-existant even though they announced them every day, but it you like just lying out baking by the pool, it's perfect. For those looking for a true American-style resort this may not be the place, but we found it very comfortable. Mostly older couples and families with young children, we only saw a few other young couples. The weather was beautiful, flawless. The resort was clean with nice gardens, very nice pool, jacuzzi, etc. We had read other reviews and knew that the onsite restaurant wasn't too good, so we just stocked up on groceries and made our own breakfast, lunch, and snacks, and then headed out for dinner. and entertainment by the beach at night. We knew we wanted freedom to explore the island so we rented a car at the airport, which was a great decision. We were able to go down to Playa Del Ingles and other nearby towns at our leisure, which is what we usually did for dinner. Had some phenomenal meals at restaurants we just wandered into without getting recommendations (or reservations). We love Spanish wine and were amazed at the high quality, inexpensive wine available at the supermarkets (3-5 Euros a bottle!). Prices in general across the island were VERY affordable, almost like traveling in Mexico. Rental of an SUV cost of 200 Euro for the week, groceries were cheap, dinners at nice restaurants by the beach with 2 tapa's, bottle of wine, and entree only cost about 60 Euros. Staff at the resort were friendly, although we seemed to attract a little attention when people heard our American accents - which apparently are rare there. If you decide to rent a car, definitely travel to Puerto Mogan, it's beautiful and if you're adventurous, consider a day trip to the town of Teror in the north-central part of the island. The drive directly north from Maspalomas through the mountains was spectacular (if a bit curvy). We really enjoyed seeing the countryside and smaller villages along the way. Overall, recommend it if you are looking for a simple, relaxing vacation and are willing to drive/ take a cab for a few minutes for restaurants and entertainment."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of June 2007

Pure Bliss

Good

"We have just returned from the Palm Oasis,I must admit we had great weather our apartment had a roof top terrace with sun loungers and the grounds and pools were excellent, clean and well looked after.
I was pleasantly suprised aftr reading some reviews as they were slightly negative, Yes there were many families and older people here but they all proved happy and enjoyed theirselves and not many teenagers so it was perfect for us with 2 children.
The food was good and they served it promptly now waiting around for hours plenty of places off site to eat if it wasnt what you wanted. On the negative side arrived late and had to find our apartment would have been nice to have a porter to show you where to go and lots of steps hand rails would have been handy as I have a dodgy knee and the elderly might have struggled a bit.
Apart from that no problem, would I go back too right Id even consider a time share there."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of June 2007

Great for the more mature persons!!!

Good

"First of all let me say how lovely the weather was. First two days were like england but then it was glorious. I cant comment about the food at the resturant because i did not eat there even once. The snack bar by the pool served quite rubbish food and the staff that worked there were very rude towards us english. It is no good them not having any english speaking members of staff-how are we going to order food??? On one of the days i tried to order some food and the gent who served me got so angry he couldnt understand me that he refused to serve me and told me to go away. Needless to say i was left very hungry!!!! The actual resort was fairly nice and clean although our shower in our room did not work properly and it constantly flooded the bathroom. Ther area of maspalomas was quite nice but there was nothing to do at all and with there being no hotel entertainment whatsoever, you really need to travel to either porto rico or the other near buy towns. The hotel was mainly for older people and it quite reminded me of a retirement home except here, they all walk around naked-not very pleasent first thing in the morning or at any time come to think of it. I would not advise young people who are looking for lots of wild times to stay at this hotel, i would recommend this place for people who enjoy sun and going to bed early. Also do make sure you get up early to get a lounger because these old folk are up with their towels very very early."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of April 2007

Hmm.. What can I say about this place??

Good

"My fiancee and I spent a week at the resort to celebrate my birthday. We decided to go some place we'd never been before and figured out of the country would be even better. I was very disappointed with my stay at the resort and the Canary Islands. Firstly, being American there aren't many Americans who frequent the Canary Islands. So if you anticipate taking a trip and expect everything to be "Americanized" think again. And on many occasions the locals would say "You're American?? I've never seen Americans here!!" The resort itself has a wonderful pool (although VERY cold). The food was not very good but the drinks were made well. Most of the visitors of the resort are OLDER! I felt like I was in the movie Cacoon! A lot of older women walking around topless (not very pleasing to the eye). I suppose it's a European thing, but there was way too much smoking going on for us. There was even the constant smell of smoke in our room when NEITHER of us smoke. The ventilation was horrible because with all patio doors closed I could smell the smoke through the vents. The rooms were nicely appointed but we saw, on several occassions, cockroaches in our room. I guess that should be expected when they walk freely all over the place outside. Once again, perhaps that's a European thing. I could not believe the size of them.. No exaggeration.. I'd say there were about 2 inches!! YUCK!!! Back to the resort.. The bathroom was nice and big.. separate tub and shower combination. There weren't very many television channels to chose from. Only 2 news channels were in English. We weren't able to use any of our electrical appliances because the front desk had every adapter from every country available, except U.S. adapters (told you.. Americans don't visit here). There is nothing to do at the resort other than enjoy the pool. No poolside activities. The night life is non-existent. They have a night club at the resort but there were never more than 5 people in attendance while we were there. Very boring. There was nothing near the resort to keep you occupied either. We spent most of our time in Puerto Rico where the younger crowd were. You can either take a bus (getting to the bus stop is a long walk from the resort.. up and down a steep hill) or you can take a taxi (which gets rather pricey). If you are older and want a vacation full of relaxation and tranquility then this is for you. If you want a vacation where you can party and enjoy abundant night life and younger people, then this is NOT the place for you. If you are not a smoke and second hand smoke is a problem from you, then I would advise against going to the islands."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of March 2007

Beautiful resort

Good

"The Palm Oasis is a very beautiful resort. It is not a 5 star resort like quoted by some resources. However, the rooms are very clean and nice and I found the staff very helpful. The landscaping of the resort is gorgeous and the resort offers two beautiful pools. The restaurant's food is so-so. But there is a delicious Chinese restaurant across the street. Also, there are plenty of restaurants and nightlife at plaza de maspalomas or the yumbo centre (playa de ingles). Both places are a 4 euro ride away. Overall, I had a wonderful time and I would definitely stay there again."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of February 2007

Lovely Resort but no Entertainment

"Palm Oasis

Our week long stay at the Palm Oasis resort in Sonnenland, Gran Canaria was in February 2007 and our two bedroom apartment was in a wonderful location overlooking Maspalomas and directly facing the sea.

The apartment was tastefully decorated, well appointed and of a good size to accommodate up to 6 guests. It also had a balcony accessed from both the lounge and main bedroom which one could enjoy the views from.

The Resort is beautifully laid out with lush gardens which are well maintained and has an excellent pool complex including a large Jacuzzi.

The apartment we stayed in had several defective things;

•The shower leaked sending a ‘river’ of water from the main bathroom, across the hallway into the main bedroom on the first night.

•A dangerous, loose electric socket in the kitchen which sparked on several occasions when used.

•The architrave around the interior of the front door was loose and coming away.

•Missing wall tile on the patio.

•Strangely, the curtain track in the second bedroom only covered half of the window! Therefore for privacy and to reduce light we had to trap the curtain between the sliding patio doors to hold it in place!

The reception, restaurant and cleaning staff were friendly. On arrival guests will receive an inventory of items contained within your apartment. You have six hours in which to check and inform reception of any deficiencies otherwise you will be held liable and forfeit your 60 Euro deposit. However in reality they did not seem the slightest bit interested in a glass or two and a plate being missing.

Bathrobes are provided in the apartments and the towels are changed each day if you require it.

There is a small on-site supermarket which has most provisions that you would need for a week or two stay. However, as usual the prices are inflated probably due to it being convenient. A 5 minute walk across the roundabout, past the Chinese restaurant and a right turn at the next junction was another larger supermarket. The prices here are generally much cheaper with a greater selection of goods.

Although the Palm Oasis is some distance away from the main tourist resort of Maspalomas and at the top of a steep hill it was a relative easy 15-20 minute walk to the nearest shopping centre, Faro 2 which has a small selection of shops and a few good restaurants.

The resort bar was hidden away in the basement and although it was mostly non-smoking there was a smokers area for those who wished to smoke. However due to the small size of the bar you were bound to inhale smoke wherever you were in the bar.

The bar is located in the main building’s basement, apparently due to previous complaints from the elderly guests about the noise although there is still an outdoor stage area by the pool.

The evening entertainment was very poor during our stay. The notice board in the reception offered a comprehensive program of entertainment. I discovered that the resort has only one entertainment person, a German lady who really did not appear to be interested in doing anything other than standing at the bar talking to the bar staff, drinking and eating peanuts! Not once did I see her try and organise any events.

The quiz night, “Who wants to be a Millionaire” and the Bingo did not take place during our week at the Palm Oasis. When we spoke to this entertainment lady she indicated that she needed at least 12 people for it to take place and so while waiting she stood around at the bar.

On one occasion even when the number of guests in the bar did reach 12 she did not make any attempt at commencing the entertainment. She probably missed the 30 or so guests who came into the bar over an hour long period, saw that nothing was taking place and left again without so much as buying a drink.

The evening ‘Happy Hour’ was at 2300-0001 which she did admit was probably far too late for the mostly elderly guests. Her apparent attempts at convincing the resort management to bring this forward to an earlier time was to no avail.

Other minor complaints are;

•The reception does not accept credit cards with which to pay for excursions. I had to make a trip to an ATM and take out cash in order to pay for the trip.

•There is No WiFi access anywhere within the Palm Oasis resort. Although you are able to access the internet on one of the three computers in the basement for 1 Euro / 10 minutes.

Despite some of the above, what matters is that if you want a quiet and relaxing holiday without the noise and bustle of larger resorts then the Palm Oasis will suit you."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of February 2007

Return to Palm Oasis

"Usually we are not travellers who return to the same place twice, but having spent 2 glorious weeks in October 2005, when it came to matching our criteria for this October's break; sunshine, relaxation and excellent accomodation, then the Palm Oasis would be difficult to beat. And we were not disappointed - even the weather gave us 14 days of sunshine. This time we had a second floor apartment facing west which gave us sunsets over the distant hills and the NASA tracking station. It was also on the peaceful side of the hotel away from the pool activities. On the subject of the pool, there seems to be ever increasing numbers of inflatables. The enjoyment of a leisurely swim can often be marred by the passage of human flotsam on plastic. Like the poolside bar, why not have a happy hour or two when inflatables are permitted?
The Palm Oasis facilties are excellent and the hotel reception staff cannot be faulted for their friendly helpfulness and advice. Housekeeping too, is excellent - our apartment was serviced beautifully each day, except Sunday of course. The restaurant has changed little; the cuisine remains basic, but reasonable value and the waiting staff are always attentive and friendly.
Go to the new casino and see the Red and Black Show. It is superb and compares well to a West End show. For 40 euros per person you have dinner with a bottle of cava followed by the show - very good value. (see Hotel reception who will book it all for you)
A car is useful to explore a little further out. Palmitos Park is worth a visit and Puerto de Mogan for dinner at sunset on the quayside is magical. We shall return again some day."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of October 2006

Good nightlife - great nearby restaurants

"We originally bought a one week one bedroom apartment here in 1998 - I have to admit to thinking "what have we done?" before we actually stayed here. However since our first stay in Nov '98 we have been coming back every year for our week long chill out. Last year (2005) we decided to trade the week in so we didn't go - but we really missed it! So we are back again this year in October.

The accommodation is top notch - and if there are any problems these are usually fixed quickly. The great thing about staying here is the close proximity to some fantastic local restaurants, Gaudi, Aubergine and Aquelara are three that come to mind, and the reception staff will easliy book you a table. We don't usually eat in their own restaurant - food is just about OK but much better places exist close by. Forgot to mention the Chinese across the road as well.

For us we spend most of the day time around the pool - although you do have to get up a bit early (before 08:00) to get a decent place, although with two pools it's not too difficult if you fancy a lie in. The laundry service is great if you have kids so you don't go back with the full suitcase.

Taxi rides to Playa or Faro II are cheap and plentiful (good cocktail bar at Faro II) whislt the kids can play in the small amusement park opposite.

The only downside is coming back to the hustle and bustle of UK life !!"

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of September 2006

It is not 4 star...

"After checking reviews we envisioned a 4 to 5 star resort - absolutely not. Check out the entrance hotel sign and 3 stars - that is exactly what you can expect. Relatively clean and we had a good week but the resturant and pool bar food was quite awful, no entertainment, and very difficult to find a decent resturant anywhere. The gym is a tiny room with one weight machine and don't think about a massage on the property - that was connected to the gym in a basement. No working AC in either area. Also we spend time planning our week and asking a number of questions about excursions - any detail (or picture) you find on a pamplet were completly inaccurate so beware. Example - the wine tour of Bodega winery....a warehouse with barrels in the middle of no-where. Also the hotel staff could not answer many questions on these locations and led us astray many times. Your on your own! Again - decent 3 star but nothing more. Again - misleading advertising to highlight 4 star."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of July 2012

Disappointed visit

"It was hot and we had no air-conditioning on as never on in June apparently.many guests upset.also only English news channel on tv,no English channels otherwise"

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of May 2012

Hotels near Palm Oasis Maspalomas

Stayed at Palm Oasis Maspalomas? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Palm Oasis Maspalomas

• G.C, Palm Oasis Rocks!! by G.C, Palm Oasis Rocks!!

"a great place to relax and party :-) "

• G.C, Palm Oasis Rocks!! by G.C, Palm Oasis Rocks!!

"Roma - italian resturant "

• Jackson45678 by Jackson45678

"More English tv channels and have air conditioning switched on in summer time "

• jodpav by jodpav

"Bring your own food and don't expect 4 to 5 star. "

Palm Oasis Maspalomas is also called