Lopesan Costa Meloneras Resort, Spa & Casino

Calle Mar Mediterraneo 1, 35100 Meloneras, Gran Canaria Spain

Good

Exceptional hotel

"Stephen and Angela from Dumbarton.

We have just come back and have booked up again next year. We are frequent visitors to the area and watched this Hotel being built. Our stay exceeded our own expectations. Staff were great and the facilities were first class. It caters for all ages and the best part is everything is self contained. The rooms were fantastic and ok if you stay indoors the Atlantico could have the feel of a dinner school. My advice is get outdoors and sit under the stars and you will drink in the atmosphere of what the splendid hotel has to offer. Entertainment is excellent and it goes on to the we small hours downstairs in the Brassier.
Do yourself a favour and visit this hotel, you will not be dissapointed."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of October 2005

Superb Holtel

"We have just returned from a very relaxing weeks stay at the Costa Meloneras. Absolutley magnificent hotel. When the tour guide on the bus from the airport said "we are dropping off first the lucky people staying at the Costa Meloneras one of the best hotels on the island" and then we turned into the main entrance I knew we were on a winner. Although we arrived in the middle of the night reception was still open and a very nice receptionist explained very clearly where our room was and gave us a map as well and although it was quite a way we found it with no trouble at all.
The rooms were large and very well equiped and very tastefully decorated. The bathrooms done in marble had 2 showers which came in very handy and also came with bathrobes. Everything was extremely clean throughout the hotel inside and out. We had a fabulous view over the Spa pool and then through the gardens to the sea.

Outside you were spoilt for choice with the pools and never had a problem finding sun loungers. Pool towels are provided and you can change them for the price of a euro as many times as you wish, the proceeds going to help Africa provide clean water for its people.

The food was of good quality and variety but the buffet eating style did get a bit boring so we ventured out in the evenings a couple of times to one of the many restaurants along the sea front, the 'Casa Lola' where we enjoyed excellent food and great service. Also along the front was a long promenade to take a stroll along and lots of designer shops and a shopping mall. After our stroll it was back to the hotel for the evening entertainment which we thoroughly enjoyed with a few G & T's.
One of the best things we did was to have the 4 hour Spa experience at the Hotel Spa. For 35 euros you go into several different rooms to relax or have a sauna or be invigarated by water or ice. You come out feeling totally clean and really relaxed and are then able to make use of the quiet spa gardens with pool and jaccuzi.
All the staff were very friendly, helpfull and cheerful at all times.
We thouroughly enjoyed our holiday and didn,t venture further than the beach about 400m from the Hotel, which was lovley soft yellow sand.
We will definitely be paying this hotel another visit as we came home completely relaxed and pampered. The fact that the weather was hot and sunny all the time helped as well."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of September 2005

Bring your own food

"This is my second review of a hotel in Meloneras in the last 4 months.My last review was posted about the H 10 hotel also in meloneras at easter.
Ok first let me give you the good points.
The hotel is beautiful,the grounds are immacutate the pools are like something you would see in a theme park, all curves and angles with very realistic fake rocks. waterfalls and bridges all over the place.The infinity pool is one of the biggest I have seen outside of America and even has a section for sunbathers that has sunbeds in the sand in case you want to get the beach feeling,you can walk through the sand and go straight into the water,great if you have kids.
The staff are friendly and there is entertainment nightly catering to all age groups.
The rooms are large by european standards and the maids will do what ever you want without fuss.Each room has a sheet containing all the things that can go wrong..blocked toilet..blown bulb.. etc and they are fixed straight away by calling reception.
The hotel is spotless and you can see staff cleaning all the time.
The hallways are all carpeted which is great as it cuts out all the noise at night and the rooms are all air conditioned and you have full control
NOW the bad points.
We arrived on sunday the7th of august at 4.30 am.I called in advance to see if there would be a problem and was assured that it was ok.
There was one sleepy looking porter who smiled at us as we lugged our cases past him and up to reception.The receptionist checked us in with no reference to our bags and handed us a map to our room and went back to his book.This seemed strange for such an expensive hotel.As It was
4.30 am the lights were off and the hotel is huge so we had difficulty finding our way , even if the lights were on sensors you would have had trouble finding your way around.I went back to reception and the guy looked at me as if I was an idiot pointing off in the darkness to me and explaining in very poor english where to go.I was in courtyard 7 for any one that would like to repeat the trip in the darkness.
Next morning we went to breakfast and basicly to cut a long story short the food is the same as in H10 It would n't be up to the standard of Mc Donalds
I am now convinced that all these all inclusive hotels are the same.The food can't compare to Irish or English food.I can't imagine what the french or Italians must think as they have a reputation for good food.
Another thing that annoyed me was that we had a car for the week and on the third day when we came back to the hotel we were told that the carpark was full and we would have to park on the street which is metered.I queried this as it was plain to see that there were a number of spaces and I was told that they were reserved for clients coming in the next day.We were driving a two seater mercedes convertible which I did n't want to leave out on the road which is quite a distance from the hotel and eventually when the guard was n't looking I sneaked in.
Finally I picked ths hotel because of its exclusivity,I did n't want to be at dinner sitting across from flip flops and singlets singing pub songs and I don't mind paying 200 euros a day for this.Imagine my surprise to find the hotel full of locals availing of the special offer for all of August of just 22 euros a day.These people naturally arrive at dinner in flipflops .etc as they don't normally have a dress code at 22 euro a day establishments.Beware of this............................Brian M.Galway Ireland"

• Travel date: Tue 16th of August 2005

serene and relaxing

"we were completely taken aback by this oasis of lush greenery and tranquilty in an otherwise rather dry and barren country.It was both relaxing and peacefull no lager louts no screaming kids or karoke in other words no brits or hardly any .The evening entertainment is very low key and finishes early .The pools are wonderfull each one beautifully maintained as is the gardens .Everywhere is spotless and the service both friendly and efficient .Outside there are some nice little restaurants and shops which will probably expand hopefully it wont become another playa de inglis !.."

• Travel date: Sun 14th of August 2005

Amazing place

"We have literally just come back from a week's stay in this amazing hotel.

We went for 1 week and stayed in a pool view room. Hotel is fabulous, spotlessly clean, very VERY well kep grounds and very luxurious. Staff were very good and spoke good English.

My Husband and I used the spa and sampled the 4 hour spa experience at 35 euros. This was really something and well worth the money we paid. We left the session feeling totally relaxed and chilled out. I also sampled the beauty treatments and had a facial which cost 65 euros. This was excellent too and well worth the money as people are STILL commenting on how great my skin looks.

The hotel has 6 restaurants : Via Veneto, Venemar, Ambassador, Atlantico, Alameda and El Portico - though El Portico was closed when we arrived.
2 of the restaurants are available for breakfast and evening meal (as per the Half board arranagements) and you can dine at the other for an extra charge but with a 15% discount.

The HB food was really very good considering it was buffet style and I would consider it one of the best buffet type hotels around - there was lots of selection. Types of meals included:-

Breakfast: salmon and champagne, cereal, fresh fruit, croissants & cakes, cooked breakfast, omlettes, fruit juice selection, selection of breads.

Evening meal: selection of salads and cold pastas, fresh fruit, soups, spaghetti dishes, pasta dishes, fish dishes inc paella, squid etc, selection of meats, chips, vegetables, ice cream, selection of cakes and gateaux.

The hotel grounds are out of this world and it really is a pleasure taking a stroll through the grounds. There are several pools and pool bars.

The area outside the hotel is also very nice. There are some lovely restaurants directly to the rear of the hotel (right of lighthouse) our favourites included: Canton chinese restaurant in Boulevard El Faro and also the wondeful Gran Italia which serves the best food in meloneras.
There is also a good Irish pub called 19th Hole (I think!) which served food and had great entertainment in the evening.

The shopping complex is also very good and Fund Grumbe shops were great food perfumes, make up and tabacco etc. The cigarettes, perfumes etc are a LOT cheaper in the complex then the airport and on some things we saved about £5 i.e cigarettes.

The hotel suits couples and also families. They organised entertainment for the children each day.

Hotel evening entertainment was also top notch and included trubite bands to the Supremes, Magicians and also Las Vegas type shows.

The only downfall for us was (1) the hotel restaurants did not distinguish between smoking and non smoking. Therefore if you are a non smoker like us, you may find it uncomfortable eating around people smoking.
(2) some of the hotel bars i.e Bolero bar and The Green Label bar were not open during our stay even though they were advertised as open.
(3) we were flying home early morning and enquired about a late check out from our room (normal checkout 12 pm). This was refused even though we were told that there would not be a problem - therefore we had to hang around the grounds for 8 hours with our bags.

Overall: despite the above minor issues, we would definitely recommend this hotel and can truly say that we really relaxed during our stay. We are planning on returning in the future."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of August 2005

Wonderful

Good

"We have just returned from this hotel and it was wonderful, the pools and grounds were magnificent. It doesn't have the best bedrooms that we have stayed in, but the bathroom was well appointed with a separate shower. The rooms have a fridge which comes in very handy. The food was excellent, I must admit we don't usually like buffet style but it never seemed too busy. Expect to pay around 100 euros for a meal in the Ambassador Restaurant if you don't want the buffet, which seved up king prawns, smoked salmon, fillet steaks, you name it they had it during our stay, I would have preferred more of a choice of potatoes, not fries, most nights, but that is for my waist line. Yes as someone said there were a lot of other nationalities but if you don't like it go to Blackpool. You must visit their spa, my husband and I had a day there which cost 45 euros each, it was wonderful. Would recommend it."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of August 2005

Lovely Hotel

"My husband and I have just returned from a weeks holidays in this hotel. We really enjoyed the week and the hotel is beautifully decorated. The facilities are excellant, loads of swimming pools, plenty terrace space to sit out in the evening and prompt service (but it was not service with a smile). There was 4 restaurants to choice from in the evening, 2 of them were buffet, one was Italian and one was a la carte and the choice was not great in the Italian or a la carte. There was a poor selection of food during the day, there was 3 bars around the pools and all of them served the same food. On the up side, it was a lovely area and the grounds of the hotel felt very safe. Rooms were clean and would definately recommend getting a room with pool/garden/sea view. There was a problem with poeple putting towels on the sunbeds early in the morning and then not using the sunbeds all day. But overall this was a lovely holiday and would recommend this hotel to people and it is very suitable for families."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of August 2005

Absolutely Superb!

"Stayed 9-16 July. You will not be disappointed with a stay here. Very impressive from the moment you enter the driveway. This 'hotel' is more like a small village, but this in no way makes it impersonal. The staff were extremely helpful and courteous. The minute you sit down - practically anywhere - a waiter comes across asking if you would like a drink. I think we only 'got up' to go the bar about twice in our whole stay! Grounds are immaculate and beautiful; water fountains, flowers, palm trees, soft music playing throughout the day. Tai Chi on the lawn every other day. Main swimming pool is amazing - it looks like it meets with the sea (great illusion), but it does get busy very early. Other pool areas around complex though.
We went half board, but I would go again B&B as there so many nice places to eat, both in the hotel and outside along the seafront.
Entertainment was really good - singers, bands, chinese acrobats, illusionists .... all really good (nothing tacky), which were held outide in a kind of large courtyard which, at night, was beautiful - all the fountains were in full flow and lit up, candles on tables - great atmosphere.
At the bottom of the grounds is a small gate which you use your room card to get in and out (this is good as anyone not staying at the hotel can't just wander in), through the gate is a seafront with a vast array of shops, bars, restaurants. If you like your designer labels, you'll be in heaven.
About a 3 min walk in the opposite direction takes you to the beach and a further few mins to the sand dunes.
You MUST visit the spa - it's amazing and well worth the 35 Euro fee. I guarantee you won't have experienced anything like the womb room, ice igloo and floatation room!!"

• Travel date: Tue 19th of July 2005

what a stunning hotel!

"My husband and I have just returned from this brilliant hotel and are still wishing we were still there! We had read reviews about this hotel and some of them nearly put us of. Thank goodness we never because we would have missed out on some holiday!

The hotel is simply stunning. The gardens are beautiful to walk around, water features everywhere.

A few people had written bad reviews about staff. We were there for two weeks and can truly say that every single member of staff were first class, from reception to gardeners!

Our room was very nice (maid in every day) pool towels were replaced every two days.

Try the Bolero bar. DG on and act on every night, or if you fancy something quieter, have a cocktail in the bar Central!

Buffet was the best we had been to on holiday. something different every night. show cooking morning and evening.

We visited the Spa for the day. Something not to be missed! So relaxing, from the womb room to the igloo. Amazing!!

If you want a relaxing holiday in beautiful surroundings then you will not be dissapointed in this hotel. I would recommend it to anyone."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of July 2005

Got really bad luck with this hotel....

"Got really bad luck with this Hotel. We had the same experience as the folks from London-terrible weather. O.K. that was not to foresee. It actually snowed for the first time in thirty years. The reason I gave it a terrible rating was the reactions of the staff to our requests that we not freeze to death on our tropical holiday. This resort is PRIMO. And I am a very picky American woman. The grounds are a dream. Compared with the other resorts, well, there is no comparison. The problem is that the Staff of this resort have a tiger by the tail I felt they could not handle. Even the slightest "request" threw them into a tizzy of blaming and excuses and even the inference that it must be your stupid fault if you cannot adjust to a freezing cold room that stinks of smoke that you must endure for seven days, mind you, not just one night. Heck, if it was just one night, no problem. Asking to speak to the manager results in a "you must be kidding if you think the Manager can help you or will even listen to your petty problem ....type of attitude. Oh, and if you pick this hotel for the pools, keep in mind..NONE..I repeat , NONE are heated ! That's right. The only heated water is in the Spa area's (which you must pay additonally for). Just be sure to go theere in August when it's warm, I guess. The Spa is also a dream. Keep in Mind, this place is HUGE. It is more like a cruise ship than a hotel. The problem, Big Problem, is that you are treated en masse. That is to say, our party of four felt treated like dairy cows with tags in our ears. The Personal Customer Service was Non-Existent. I was travelling with my European in-laws, who seemed to feel the same way. I was so upset and dissatisfied that I actually spoke to a representative for the tour company that we booked the arrangements through. She, to my shock-until I began to understand the European culture-actually defended the Hotel's complete lack of capability, and again implied that it was my fault for being such a demanding American. She actually said.."Well maybe in America it is this way.." I could not believe my ears!!!! The food, again, think Cruise Ship, was good, not Great, but good. I think they did a really good job with the food and restaurant considering how many people they have to feed on a daily basis, with plenty of choice for everybody's tastes. It was the best part of the resort. Bottom line.....and it's going to be offensive, sorry, but I truly feel if some other..maybe company, or something, was running this place, it would be an absolute jewel. Not a chain, but people who are used to running a resort of this beauty and magnitude. ESPECIALLY..when you have little glitches like freezing customers and no heaters..I was ready to go into town to buy some dang heaters. AND ONE MORE THING...HEAT AT LEAST ONE POOL SO PEOPLE CAN SWIM OR TELL THEM OTHERWISE BEFORE HAND!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 24th of June 2005

Building work and shabby room nightmare

"We booked our Honeymoon for this hotel hoping for something special, the hotel is spectacular but it was ruined by smaller issues and one major issue!

We booked b+b through Thomson, found out after that we could have booked with Thomas Cook Half board for £200/300 cheaper for the same period which was unbelievable.

That aside we arrived in a private transfer, glass of champagne whilst checking in, hugely impressive hotel, though they pump a horrid smell into all common areas which made my wife heave.

We got to the room and quickly noticed our view of the casino grey old roof with random carpet on it and the casino chapel roof. My new wife quickly noticed that on her side of the bed when laying down there was a person groove in the mattress where it was so old, on my side your feet where alot higher than the rest of your body where it was so worn. The bathroom, underneath the sink was falling apart and the bath had a crack in it which was badly filled. We had a fridge which was all broken and you couldn’t chill anything in there - when I approached reception about this I was told it was a mini bar and not a fridge and only come back if its heats items up.........The bath towels are tiny....had to use our beach towels after a shower.

This was until we were moved into a suite where we got grown up towels!! The suit comes with a Spa bath, however the jets were very grimy and green and pumped green stuff into the bath. We did use it and it wasn’t cleaned at all in our time there!

The main issue was the building work which Thomson failed to notify us of. The infinity pool...isn’t as there are huge boards across the end covering a mass building site of the hotels restaurants. So you have no infinity pool and no view. The building site was noisy and when you went out the back you were being run over by Lorries.

Corridors in the hotels were also being worked on with drilling and jack hammers going all the time. On day 3 green fencing went up out the front and they begun building work out the front as wel, you were never far away from a grab lorry in this hotel.

If you are booking this hotel or about to go I strongly urge you to find out about the building works as Thomson won’t tell you they want your money too much!

The only other issue was the hotel is very german orientated, from the entertainment to the food in the buffet restaurants. This can grind after a while. Pools were good other than the 'infinity'. They are very warm mind! The evening entertainment was spoilt by the hotels rubbish speakers and not having signers loud enough. The hotel band however were really good!

The resort however is fantastic, the restaurants along Boulevard Faro are to die for, Grand Italia and Maximillions top the charts here.

Thomson ruined out honeymoon by not telling us about the building works. Its really not on. German hotel, everything costs extra here they like to squeeze every penny out of you! Shame as this hotel could be amazing, not as good as the Arona Gran in Tenerife!

• Travel date: Thu 21st of June 2012

Didn't reach my expectations. Not a kid's place.

"My family ( husband, 11 year old daughter and nine year old daughter and 7 month year old son ) went to this hotel these summer holidays for two weeks. When you come up the hotel's drive you think 'Wow, that looks stunning. ' It really does, especially when they put the fancy fountains on.

Check in was fairly simple, and whilst we waited for our room to be ready we got free drinks at the bars. It was all looking great. We got into our room soon to find that our suitcases weren't there like the receptionist told us they would be as we handed them to them. We called reception and they said they would be there just in a minute. We waited about fifteen minutes, and by this time we just wanted to get into our swim gear and go relax, so we called again. Again they told us to wait just a few minutes and they will be with us. Around another ten - fifteen minutes past and still no cases. We went down to reception and asked them poliltley where our cases were, and they told us they had been sent to the lost property room. We were highly annoyed because we trusted them with our luggage and of course they were not on the ball.

As there are so many people staying in the hotel at a time it gets very busy around the pool and mainly it is quite had to bag some sunbeds, also your not allowed to reserve them with towels, so if you do they take them away. I thought this was a bit unfair because we have children to cart around breakfast and surley by then all the sunbeds will be gone. For sunbathing there is little space. Its very lush there with lots of trees and bushes, so around the pool its shady. There are two top decks where the sun is captured, but two only.

Food there was fairly good, but service wasn't. At the buffet it was so crowded. queues as long as twenty minutes just to get chips. Also normally half board you get one round of basic drinks free, but there you didn't . It was seven euro's for a half bottle of wine to sahre between two and two fifty euros for soft drinks.

Pool's were very nice. No complaints.

Staff weren't overley friendly, but very decent.

Rooms were fine.

Now - entertainment. I think theshows at night were good, but in the day for kids there was nothing to do. They want activites like you get at hotels, they didn't do them.
We found ourselves a slight bit bored.
I wouldn't suggest this place to kids, so do consider this, please.
All together I think it wasn't a bad holiday, but didn't reach my expectations."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of July 2010

Hotels near Lopesan Costa Meloneras Resort, Spa & Casino

Stayed at Lopesan Costa Meloneras Resort, Spa & Casino? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Lopesan Costa Meloneras Resort, Spa & Casino

• Jimmy Jones by Jimmy Jones

"Bodega Restaurant where you will be treated with courtesy and rspect. "

•  A Webster by  A Webster

"Clean beach, nice bars and resaurants, familys and couples. "

•  A Webster by  A Webster

"so many nice restaurants and bars. "

• Grace by Grace

"Don't take kids, unlessy ou'd like to bore them. "

Lopesan Costa Meloneras Resort, Spa & Casino is also called