Koala Garden Suites

Calle Geminis 2 San Bartolomé de Tirajana, Gran Canaria, 35100, Maspalomas, Gran Canaria Spain

Fantastic

Good

"Having read all the comments on this site i was thinking of not going. We arrrived late at night and the very nice lady behind reception spoke excellent english and guided us to our room, which was basic but clean. The pool was clean and the staff were more than helpful. My kids had a great time and the entertainment was good fun for them, with the animation guy speaking in 6 different languages so no one felt left out. There was a free bus service to the beach and the local supermarkets were well stocked.
This is great place to take the family and i would recommend it to people."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of October 2007

Definitely not for the British

"My partner and I (24 & 25) were suppose to go to Mexico for 2 weeks but due to Hurricane Dean it was cancelled the day before we were due to depart so having gone from 5* all inclusive to self catering in Gran Canaria was a bit of a disappointment to say the least!

We arrived at Koala Gardens at 4am. On check in we were given a map to find our room. Seen as it was pitch black outside you would think that they would have shown us to our room. After walking about in the dark for 20 minutes with our suitcases we eventually found our room.

I have to say the room was lovely and clean and there was plenty of room, the kitchen area was tiny but it was enough as we ate out every night anyway.

The pool we used (there are 6 to choose from) was clean so we used it pretty much everyday.

We were only 3 euros away in a taxi from Playa D'Angles which was fine. The beaches are lovely and there are plenty of restaurants to choose from.

I have to tell you though that this notel is not for the British, they only cater for the Spanish and the German, the entertainment was even Spanish.

Please also beware of the big girl with the dark hair who works in the hotel supermarket, she continually tried to rip us off having charged me 40 euros one day for 14 euros worth of stuff, unbelievable! She refused to give us our money back until I threatened her with the Police then she handed us our money back. She also done the same to friends we met. She was definitely scamming us and the shop let me tell you!

On the last day we had to be out of our room for 12 at lunch time. we weren't geting picked up until 23.15 so asked if we could keep our room on, we offered to pay for this but they refused point blank. We therefore has to sit by the pool all day whilst a Spanish couple got to keep there room on free of charge!!

Overall we had a great holiday and the appartments were clean but we wouldn't return to the Koala Appartments as they dont cater for the British at all."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of September 2007

Stay Clear....

"Dont even consider this place, it's a rat hole. We have been holidaying as a family for 9 years now and we have never stayed any where as filthy, stinking and disgusting in all that time. The moment we got to our zone (5) quite a walk from reception with luggage, my wife noticed that both beds had blood and dirty black hairs all over them, i went straight back to reception and they moved us 2 doors away, this one had clean bedding but the smell from the bathroom was over whelming but we had to put up with it. The cleaners did come nearly every day but in the week we stayed there they never manage to spot and clean up the 2 dead cockroaches on the bathroom floor that my wife had killed with hair spray. We never had chance to get a sun bed because they were always taken the night before with towels. If you have young children that are'nt very good swimmers all 6 pools are 1.30 meters at the shallow end. our son could'nt play in any of them. When we went to change money at the reception the staff look as though i asked them for there liver! everything was a chore. The internet facilities were never working. If you want any entertaiment or something to eat then there is a little place called holiday world just down the road but apart from there, there isnt nothing around. We looked on this site before we booked up and although some said it was bad there was afew good reviews so we gave it the benefit of the doubt, thank you to every 1 that said it was a nice place. We ended up hiring a car and going out all day every day, the island is lovely and there is loads to do in playa del ingles. If you are entertaining children dont take them to this place."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of August 2007

great for families

Good

"We stayed at the Koala Garden Apartments in August. We had two good apartments in one of the quiter blocks which had its own pool. The apartments were really spacious and well equipped, although they might benefit from a deep clean - grubby covers, slightly dirty floor. Cleanliness was certainly acceptable - cleaners came every every other day and even three times in one day!!. My one concern was the electrics. One of the pins on my kettle socket was burnt brown and I had great difficulty getting it fixed. As far as the hotel's handyman was concerned it worked so why was I concerned. It was only when I told him that I worked with electrics and wasn't prepared to take no for an answer that he agreed to fix this. One of my party also got an electric shock from one of the lights. Apart from this it is a really great place for families with lifeguards at all the many pools. There is plenty to do on site. My one gripe about Gran Canaria is the lenght of the Siesta - up to 5 hours when there is nothing to do unless you go out in the hot sun to the beach. The very best thing was the Benetton seconds shop in Faro 2 - if you like Benetton clohting this is unmissable - I got a cashmere sweater for 4.50 euros. Jeans were on sale at 3.50 euros and kids tee shirts less than 3 euros - shoppping heaven. The centre also has a lovely Italian restaurant and some other reasonable quality ones - it isn't all steak, chips and pizza. althugh this was the most prolific fare."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of August 2007

Ideal for families

"Wev booked this holiday at the last minute and were pleased with the price. It wasn't as windy as we were expecting ( we stayed in Maspalomas in the Green Golf bungalows in January, very windy). We weren't initially happy with our ground floor room which was situated directly beside the restaurant and when opening the patio window's curtains had all of the diners staring in at us!! But the staff were very friendly and helpful and moved us the next day to a first floor apt without any fuss.
The rooms are fairly basic but clean and the gounds and pools were always clean and tidy. There were lots of families staying here and they did cater well for the children.
I went with my partner and we already knew that there isn't a lot to do in Maspalomas at night time apart from the restaurants in Faro2 so we were happy to get a taxi into Playa De Ingles for about 3 euros, its nice to stay in a fairly quiet and tidy resort and travel into the hustle and bustle of the bigger town.
Maspalomas beach is fantastic and easy to reach on the free bus.
We booked self catering but did dine on the buffet at their restaurant twice which we both enjoyed and there was plenty of it. There are abundant restaurants at the Yumbo centre in Playa de Ingles all serving fantastic steaks and seafood at very reasonable prices.
We prefered Green Golf Bungalows but then you get what you pay for and it is dearer to stay there, but i would stay at Koala again as it was value for money."

• Travel date: Sat 18th of August 2007

Great relaxing week

"Myself and my girlfriend travelled to Gran Canaria in July '07 for a weeks holiday and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We stayed at the Koala Garden Suites in Maspalomas. The apartments were clean and well kept. Would agree that the kitchen is very small (basically a cupboard) but we went half board and most of the people who stayed were all inclusive. Food was surpringly good (especially breakfast) and a wide selection. Dinner usually consisted of fresh fish, chicken, pasta and rice. There was also a wide selection of bread and cold meats.

The apartments are away from the beach, but there is a complementary bus to the beach. Reception can also book taxis for you or just walk around the corner to the taxis rank.

As for things to do, well, theres the holiday world complex just across the road. 10pin bowling, air hockey, pool, small amusement park. I have to highly recommend the Segway Tours which run from this location. If like myself you've never heard of a segway before, prepare to have a great time, and an excellent tour to the beach and back.

Overall we had a great time, and the apartments helped. Would we go back? DEFINEATELY!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 28th of July 2007

Perfectly Adequate

Good

"With the premise "you get what you pay for" - these apartments were fine... and by Spanish standards probably deserving of the 3 key rating they've been awarded.

The aprtments themselves were alright - fairly well maintained, no problems with noise etc. Location's a bit out in the sticks, but when taxi's are €3 a pop - who's complaining?!

All in all - had a great holiday here... have stayed in much worse places for much more money... and yes - I probably would return!"

• Travel date: Thu 7th of June 2007

If you can book sometwhere else !!

"I have just come back from Maspalomas where the weather was lovely its a shame the accomadiation wasn't !!
I do not recommend people going to Maspalomas during April unless you are staying very close to the beach and where your hotel has evening entertainment.
The main problem with these apartments were they were a taxi ride away from the beach and shops and this turned out to be very expensive.
There was nothing to do here in the evening apart from go into nearby towns to eat and shop.
The apartment was very very basic and some where you do not really want to spend alot of time in.
Maspalomas beach and town itself is lovely, the weather was hitting 30 degrees most days and you are spoilt for choice on where to eat.
I would go back BUT not to Koala Gardens ."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of April 2007

Fabulous place for families

Good

"I stayed at Koala with my mother (65) and two of my children (7 and 9). The place was excellent for the kids and that was the whole plan for this vacation ;-))

The hotel is made up of at least 5 different zones, each with a pool in the middle and the apartments in twostorey buildings.

The hotel is entirely fenced in, which feels very secure when you travel with kids. There is also a playground on the area.

One of the pools was heated and that was were all bathers were. It was very quiet and calm around the other pools. There are sunbeds at your disposal.

I found our studio large and appropriate for our needs. We had a bedroom and a livingroom with two very comfortable sofabeds. The bathroom was large with a seperate shower and bathtub. This hotel is not the Ritz Carlton, but it doesn't pretend to be either!

The hotel is a bit "off", but there is a free coach to the beach (where my kids didn't want to go anyway!). It was very quiet during nighttime and we weren't disturbed once by drunk travellers!

I would definitely recommend anyone with children to go here. If I were travelling with just my husband I would choose another hotel though."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of February 2007

Thunder and lightning on Gran Canaria.

"Many of the reviews of the Koala Apartments Resort expresses the positive and negative sides of staying there. We can agree to many of the statements. But there is one thing mentioned not to often. And that is the weather. I guess most north European travelers think of warm sunny days concerning the Canary Islands.
We visited Koala Apartments in february 2005. And it was raining. Raining and raining. And at night time, thunder and lightning. Heavy winds most of the time. We was told that the weather was the worst for many, many years. And the Koala Apartments is not buildt for this kind of weather. Water was flowing into our second floor apartment below the balcony door. We had to put several towels on the floor to stop the water flow. Lucky for us, the weather cleared up after less than a week. After drying up, we could see that large areas of the Koala Apartment area was covered with a thin layer of orange/brown sand. From Sahara we was told.
Our second week at this apartment hotel was OK. We did not find any cockroaches, they had probably gone with the wind. After our opinion, this is first of all a hotel for smallchildren familyes. I guess we can recommend this hotel, even though it needs to "shine up" a bit."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of October 2006

The holiday from hell

"We booked this hotel to travel in may of this year we arrived at reception the greeting we were given was that of ignorant we were given a piece of paper that had a map on it as this place had several zones it was not clear where we would find the room after half an hour we found out on first look it was ok but then we found faults the shower was broken did not stay in holder very small cubicle the room was backed onto a main road which was very noisy had to pay a deposit for safe in room on checking out we did not get this back you have to hire a remote control for the tv the air con did not work so this hampered our sleep, for evening meal we found the food dreadful salad leaves were black rotten tomatoes were swimming in their own juice the bread was brick hard the hot food was cold and very unappealing dry rabbit stew hard rice that was then on the lunch menu the next day as a salad we were on all inclusive deal so we then went to the tiny dirty pool bar, I asked for a Bacardi and was told i would have to pay for this as it was a premium brand i asked if there was a Spanish brand and was told no so all you can get on the all inclusive deal was beer and soft drinks if you wanted just a bottle of water you had to pay for this as well we decided to eat out every meal time as the food was awful raw chicken rubbery meat there was several pools in the complex and only one Lifeguard for all of them i was told that the pools were covered with security camera i would hate to think that if you got into trouble you would have to wait for help to come from a good run from where they sat all day on their phone the pool bar had burgers toasted sandwiches that were all hard around the edges as they were under lamps the staff were very ignorant and always asking for money to clear your table i did raise my concerns with the manager and was told he did not believe me this was in a email I explained that if chicken was not cooked properly it could kill someone he now will not answer any of my emails or phone calls if anyone is thinking of going please do not go somewhere else on the island, "

• Travel date: Wed 12th of October 2016

The holiday from hell

"We booked this hotel to travel in may of this year we arrived at reception the greeting we were given was that of ignorant we were given a piece of paper that had a map on it as this place had several zones it was not clear where we would find the room after half an hour we found out on first look it was ok but then we found faults the shower was broken did not stay in holder very small cubicle the room was backed into a main road which was very noisy had to pay a deposit for safe in room on checking out we did not get this back you have to hire a remote control for the tv the air con did not work so this hampered our sleep through the vacation. The evening meal we found the food dreadful salad leaves were black rotten tomatoes were swimming in their own juice the bread was brick hard the hot food was cold and very unappealing dry rabbit stew hard rice that was then on the lunch menu the next day as a salad we were on all inclusive deal so we then went to the tiny dirty pool bar I asked for a Bacardi and was told i would have to pay for this as it was a premium brand i asked if there was a Spanish brand and was told no so all you can get on the all inclusive deal was beer and soft drinks if you wanted just a bottle of water you had to pay for this as well we decided to eat out every meal time as the food was awful raw chicken rubbery meat there was several pools in the complex and only one lifeguard for all of them I was told that the pools were covered with security camera i would hate to think that if you got into trouble you would have to wait for help to come from a good run from where they sat all day on their phone the pool bar had burgers toasted sandwiches that were all hard around the edges as they were under lamps the staff were very ignorant and always asking for money to clear your table i did raise my concerns with the manager and was told he did not believe me this was in email, I explained that if chicken was not cooked properly it could kill someone he now will not answer any of my emails or phone calls if anyone is thinking of going please do not go somewhere else on the island "

• Travel date: Wed 12th of October 2016

Hotels near Koala Garden Suites

Stayed at Koala Garden Suites? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Koala Garden Suites

• zeldabricey by zeldabricey

"Faro is good for restaurants and beach front. "

• DonnaJones by DonnaJones

"dont listen to the other reviews. "

• DonnaJones by DonnaJones

"el nublo in the faro II shopping centre was amazing and fantastic prices "

• maria lewis by maria lewis

"if you are thinking about going to maspolomas definately go,the sand dunes are amazing "

• maria lewis by maria lewis

"cho juanillo in faro2,cheap food and portions big,ate here every night. "

• Gerard S by Gerard S

"None stay away from the place "

• Mike g 64 by Mike g 64

"Do not book as there are nothing good at this hotel "

• Mike g 64 by Mike g 64

"Do not book as there are nothing good at this hotel "

Koala Garden Suites is also called