About Hotel Riu Palace Oasis

• tennis court
  • kids club

A tired hotel

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Having read and discounted the earlier views of this hotel, I have to admit regret.
Although not as bad as the earlier reports described, this hotel is in need of a serious renovation.
The food although acceptable was not up to a five star hotel, and although passable, the staff were not rude , as previously mentioned, but were not in the main outwardly friendly.
The breakfasts were good enough with a reasonably comprehensive buffet, but the evening meal , again with a reasonable buffet and a limited (two choices) served meal was reminicent of canteen food.
I had carrots and boiled potatoes served up with a steak one night - Ok but not what you expect in a luxury hotel.
We also ate one night in the so called a lacarte restaurant which turned out to be ' themed dining' with the night we went based upon a Tapas bar. A one trick pony experience - once again Ok but not five star.
The comment made about full of Germans was correct and so was the comment of the older age of the clientelle (bordering on pensioner profile).
Some positives , good size pool with plenty of sunbeds ( albeit some need replacement) and wonderful grounds with easy access to the beach via a card operated gate."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of November 2006

Very tired! Not a 5 star.

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"Spent a week in this hotel 28th Oct - 4th Nov. and was glad to come home. There are some good things the restaurant service and the location are excellent. Our room although poorly sited had been refurbished and was well cleaned. There was an abundant supply of pool towels and none of the inconvenience of checking them in and out which now seems prevalent. Nearly everything else was 3 star at best and in some cases worse.

Pool side furniture was dirty, the bar was closed at times in the evenings, the hotel was geared to the majority German intake with menus printed in Spanish and German, tv channels mainly German etc; This is merely to point out to any future holiday makers that this is the case and to say you have to accept this at this hotel. Reception was cold in terms of attitude - on arrival - rather frazzled at the time as my case had not made it , we were told to sit down and we could have a glass of champagne - we are still waiting! and a request was greeted with a shrug. On the last day I slipped and fell coming out of the bathroom due to the fact that the air conditioning unit had sprung a leak making the tiled floor extremely slippy. When reported this was greeted with a wave of indifference and shoulder shrugs. I asked for an accident report form they did not have one - asked to see the manager - more shoulder shrugging and eventually a brief meeting with him - no apologies -no offer to change rooms or indeed any act of sympathy.

Fawlty Towers sprang to mind. An oddjob man tried to repair it but on returning to our room later there was futher "flooding" - stronger protest from me again met with apathy. So as I said I was glad to come home. If you pay 5 star prices for this hotel you are being robbed and several of our prestige travel groups need to remove it from these ratings. You can see that it once would have been a pleasant hotel but no more ,my advice avoid it unless you get it cheap and are stuck for cash - you do get well fed!"

• Travel date: Fri 10th of November 2006

Great Value For Money

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"This hotel is listed as a 5 star hotel. It is probably a 4 star by most standards and I agree with some of the other reports that the hotel is a bit 70's but..........
The service generally is terrific, the location is brilliant, the grounds and pool areas are nice, the food is good, the rooms are fine and the value for money is spot on.
If you want a true 5 star then you won't be paying what it costs you here but for what it is this hotel definately got a thumbs up from our group."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of November 2006

Extremely poor!

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"After reading the previous review, it encouraged me to write about my poor time I had at this hotel. Everything the previous writer said is spot on! The hotel is terrible. Faciities are very dated and the staff are probably the worst I have encountered on any holiday. It really ruined my holiday and I will NEVER stay at this hotel again (as did many other people say as well when I was there). It has even put me off returning to Gran Canaria.

If this hotel is a 5 star, I'd hate to see what they say a 3 star hotel is like!! Never again!"

• Travel date: Tue 24th of October 2006

Terrible - Never again!

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"This hotel is positively the worst hotel I have EVER stayed in! The staff are unfriendly and extremely unaccomodating. I have stayed in a range of hotels from 3 star to 5 star all over the world and this hotel is worse than all of them. It is predominantly Germans (there was two other English couples) and they are so rude - staring constantly.

We found many discrepancies with the hotel bill and in total they had over charged us by about 100 Euros. Had we not asked for an itemised bill the night before check out, we may not have noticed. So make sure (if you are unlucky enough to stay here) that you check your bill thoroughly!! Another thing about the reception staff, they didn't realise that we can speak fluent Spanish and they were talking amongst themselves about us in very bad language and about the English in general. So if you can speak Spanish, listen carefully. I cannot believe that a (supposeable) 5 star hotel would employ people with such bad customer service skills.

The hotel swimming pool is no where near a 5 star rating. It was extremely dirty and small. We expected so much more.

You can guess by the fact that you can find the hotel relatively cheap on various websites the type of people who come here (we paid 250 pounds per person for a week half board). In all honesty the hotel is like a morgue, it is dead by 10 o'clock. So if you want a fun holiday, do NOT come here.

Another warning, if you're pre-booking a transfer to and from the airport to the hotel do NOT book through canary forum. They did not turn up to pick us up from our hotel and they already had our money so there was nothing we could do about it so we had to pay extra for a private taxi. We are still in dispute with them now over one month later!!! We found out that this happened to 2 other couples so be warned!!.

Do NOT stay at this hotel, the food is poor, the staff are unfriendly and there are much nicer places to stay near by."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of October 2006

Good Value

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"This is a well run hotel. The rooms are well maintained and serviced to a good standard. Although a busy hotel, it is quiet and you can always get a sun lounger!
Food is always well presented with plenty of healthy and some very unhealthy options. The dining room is well managed so you never feel cramped or rushed.
The location cannot be bettered. Walk throught the garden gate and you are able to walk straight onto the sandunes. Turn right and you have a wonderful walk through a huge range of designer shops and cafes.
The hotel is busy but does not feel packed.
The staff here are exceptional in their attention to all guests. This was our second time staying at the hotel and to be remembered and warmly welcomed was a nice touch.
Yes the hotel is starting to show its age a little in places, but this should not put people off. Its other qualities more than make up for any cosmetic need."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of September 2006

My husband, 14 year old son and I stayed...

Reviewed Sat 26th of August 2006

"My husband, 14 year old son and I stayed at this traditional and stylish hotel for 2 weeks. It stands in beautiful palm fringed gardens with water fountains and a hot tub/jacuzzi.

The pool area is very well laid out and there is plenty of room to swim or sunbathe. The food was excellent with plenty of choice from the buffet or waiter service. The staff were very attentive and helpful and the standard of cleanliness was excellent. The evening entertainment was professional and offered a variety of acts.

The hotel also offered a good variety of sports from tennis, table tennis, volley ball and mini golf. There is also direct access from the hotel to the sand dunes and the beautiful beach at Maspalomas which stretches for miles. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel which, in comparison to some of the ostentatious hotels in the vicinity, offers a charm and tranquillity which is very rare these days. We would definitely return.

• Travel date: Sat 26th of August 2006

Outstanding Service

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Having returned from the Riu Grand Palace only today, decided I had to sit down & write my first ever review as I always read other reviews before booking. We have stayed in a Riu hotel before (4* in Fuerteventura) & were impressed with the food, rooms, service etc & have always compared other hotels to it. The Grand Palace however at 5 * was another step up again in every area. The food was fantastic & our room was huge but the main difference between this holiday & all previous trips was the staff. Nothing was too much trouble, the waiters in the evening were attentive, polite and were constantly refilling water & wine glasses. The hotel had mainly German guests but as there were plenty of sun beds available all day this wasn't a problem! The beach at Maspalomas is lovely as is Playa Amadores which we walked to after catching the bus to Puerto Rico, we also took the bus to Puerto del Mogan & must say that Little Venice is worth a visit. We have now visited Tenerife, Fuerteventura & Gran Canaria & so far Gran Canaria has come out tops."

• Travel date: Sat 8th of July 2006

Not 5 star

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"So many very similarly named hotels on the island. I booked this one by mistake as I though it was the one 5 minutes walk up the coast called Riu Grand Palace Melonaras.

I got there and saw what looked like a 1970's council block. Walking down the corridor to the room my heart sank as the old outdated doors, window frames etc evidenced that it was a rather 'tired' hotel.

We did get a silver platter full of salmon etc at 1am in the morning as we arrived late which was a nice touch but we were so shattered after our journey we could hardly touch it.

The room was also on 2 levels with a raised area where our 2 year old daughter slept. Not safe for her if she got up in the night (as was proved on the only night we stayed there). It is by and large populated by older, retired people and perhaps is more suited to them.

The breakfast the night morning was poor. Greecy and cramped. The pool too near the breakfast area on the terrace. The garden was nice with trees scattered around but there was a smell of greece from the neighbouring cafes/restaurants over a rickety fence.

The staff were however very freindly and helped us to move to the Riu Club which we had been to before and knew was child friendly with a childs pool etc. It was also all inclusive and though 4 star cost E160 to move for 13 nights. Well worth it though for what we wanted.

The Oasis is nearer the beach than the Club however which is useful."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of June 2006

By far the best hotel in Maspalomas and area.

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"My wife and I spent a wonderful week in early March 2006 at this hotel. The public area furnishings were a delight, the 10 acre garden with its 2000+ palm trees with parrots, swallows, pidgeons, etc., the fountains and waterfalls, the lawns were fantastic.
The bedrooms were large, well furnished and very comfortable. We stayed for 1 week and intend next March to stay for 3 and another week before X-mas 2006.The only minor disappointment was the Dinner. Although the choice of salads each night was more varied than any hotel we have previously stayed at the alternative choice (served at the table) was obviously heated and kept warm under heaters as it looked and tasted! Not what is expected from a 5 star hotel/restaurant. Each item should be cooked to order.
Breakfast was 5-6 courses and superb in choice and quality."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of March 2006

good location but needs some refurbishment

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"great location, nice pool and excellent palm tree garden, beach was just a few meters away, friendly staff.
Rooms need some refurbishment, the hotel was one of the first that were built in the area.
it´s a 5 star but I give it a 4 star rating."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of February 2006