Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort

Avda. Sunnair s/n, 35100, Maspalomas, Gran Canaria Spain

Good

We loved it! and here are some helpful hints

"We stayed at the Dunas, (in a Suite), half board, as a family of four, with one 17yr old and one 6 yr old, in the middle two weeks of August. I just wanted to leave a few hints of things that we found out during our stay. Hope they help! I too had read some of the reviews and wondered from some of them, what would await us! I can only say that some of the bad reviews seem to have been written for somewhere completely different than where we stayed. Although, for a change (and which may suit some and not others) the English guests are in a minority generally, (most guests are Spanish or German), but everyone is catered for. All announcements by the reps, who incidentally are Slovakian, Dutch, German etc...are made in several languages, as are the food labels and general notices. The system for dinner in the evening is as some of the reviews have mentioned, two sttings. 6.30-8.00pm and 8.30-10.00pm. Once you get a table though, you tend to keep to the same sitting and table for the duration of your stay. We actually found this helped, to know that there would be a table for you without having to rush and to give some kind of routine. They do try to be flexible though, so if you want to eat at a different time during your stay, they still try and find you a table, though they can't guarantee it. There is a HUGE variety of food. To be fair, not always of Michelin star quality but everyone should find something and contrary to some reviews, it IS different every evening. Some dishes may be repeated but not on a day after day basis. You can also choose from which area you get your food, regardless of where you sit. If you don't fancy the food from the outside area, go into the restaurant area and choose from there instead. The breakfast is the same every day, but again, with so much choice you'd be hard pushed not to find something you like; eggs done 4 different ways, sausages (we'd probably call them mini hotdogs though), bacon, beans, bread and rolls, cereals galore, yoghurts, cheeses, sliced meats, salad bits, fresh fruit, pastries, coffee, tea, juice, water and there is a microwave in the restaurant you can use to heat baby's food or bottles! Signs around the pools saying 'reserving sunbeds not allowed' should be ignored unless you want to miss out. No-one heeds it and no-one cares. Bag your beds on the way to breakfast like everyone else, earlier if you're an early riser - don't be British!! :) Sprinklers around the suites go off at 5am each day so don't leave your drying washing too near to the edge of your patio area when you go to bed! Take your room key with you when you go to the Supermarket at the top of the resort . This opens the gate (both ways). No-one tells you this, but if the gate is open when you go through it, it sure won't be when you come back, as some kind person will have dutifully closed it and you'll have to walk round the outside to get back in! Brochures list Suites as Not having a fridge, but we had one, which was handy. Everywhere is very clean and kept very tidy. There is an ATM in the reception area as well as an internet room with 4 computers - 16 mins for 1 euro. The bar upstairs is for people paying, so if you're all inc. you'll need to buy drinks at the pool bar during the day and downstairs in the entertainment bit in the evening. If you're S/C or half bd, you can charge anything to your room instead if you like, just give them the appartment number. Diego and Samuel in the bar upstairs are very friendly. Daily entertainment is there if you want it; table tennis, water polo, pool, etc. but not forced on you at all. There is a nightly mini disco for the younger ones at 8.15pm and other entertainment at around 9.45pm (sometimes with Bingo as well in between, at 9.00pm if you so choose!). The beach is around 15 mins stroll away and is at the end of properly formed promenade passing the nature reserve which is worth a look OR the bus picks up 3 times in the morning outside reception and collects again 3 times from the beach, in the afternoon. The dunes are in the distance and there are camel rides through them available on the path to the beach. There is a strange concrete river bed type affair running down the side of the resort, next to which runs the first part of the path to the beach. It looks like it should have water in it but apparently has only been wet, 5 times in the last 20 yrs!!! The sea front area is great past the lighthouse (Meloneras) and has some lovely shopsand great restaurants, (unlike Faro 2 up the road, which is not so good!) serving gorgeous food. Don't know really what else to tell you about but feel free to contact me if you think I might be able to help. Hopefully this info is helpful as I know I'm always a bit apprehensive, whenever I go somewhere new and don't have enough information about it :) And enjoy your stay! We did! (I have photos but annoyingly can't put them on here due to our useless internet connection! Sorry)"

• Travel date: Fri 29th of August 2008

Excellent, a big hit!

"After reading the reviews I was a bit concerned, but on arriving at the hotel I needn't have worried. Staff are very helpful, the rooms are spacious and clean, the free bus to the beach was on time( we walked back as exercise allowed us to walk off the gorgeous food!). We hired our towels for a 10euro deposit per towel( refunded at the end of the holiday). Didn't hear any planes, so nowhere near the flight path. Pools are great, many bars around the complex to try, night life not that great but my 15 and 11 year old girls were happy with it. Would definately return, do not be put off by other reviews!"

• Travel date: Tue 29th of July 2008

The best holiday I've ever been on!!!

"Having read some of the reviews about this complex on various websites, we were really worried about what the resort would be like. We arrived at 2.30am and were greeted with a friendly but not very helpful receptionist. It took us about half an hour to find our villa as the main grounds are huge and it was obviosly dark! When we eventually found it, we opened the door to reveal a spacious living area complete with built in kitchen- which we weren't expecting. The bathroom was huge with a bath and a shower as well as two sinks. The bedroom was spacious with two single beds and enough wardrobe space for a family of 6!
We went exploring the following morning and found that about 5 metres from our villa was an enormous heated swimming pool with a baby pool beside it. There was also 6 other swimming pools scattered around the complex that we were free to use. We were not all inclusive but we did try the dinner in the hotel one night and it was lovely, with plenty to choose from and also a chinese buffet!
Our room was cleaned almost every day with clean sheets and towels made available.
Our flight home was at 1.00am but we had to check out at 12.00pm. The hotel supplies anyone in our situation an hour in one of their rooms at your convenience to have a shower, get changed etc and allows use of the pool and facilities for the rest of the day.
I would recommend this resort to anyone but especially those with children as my son is only 3 but he enjoyed it tremendously."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of July 2008

DONT GO!!!

"I really don't know where to begin, but I will say that I will never, ever be going back and would urge anyone who is thinking of going, not to. This place does not deserve even a 3* rating. From the off set I knew it was going to dissapoint from the state of the reception area. The whole place was very run down with broken plant pots everywhere, broken tiles, and was in dire need of renovation. The 'all inclusive' is actually not all inclusive. At the pool bar we asked for an orange juice and were told it was not included in the all inclusive as it were only local drinks. I thought that to be strange as I'm sure the oranges would have come from Gran Canaria or a surrounding island. We later asked for a coffee at the reception bar and were told it had to be paid for at that bar as it was not included in the all inclusive. I know all inclusive hotels can dish up some repetitive food but this place took the biscuit!! It was the same food EVERY NIGHT!!! Not only was it the same, but it was not edible at all.My family and myself practically lived off pasta and salad as we felt it was the safest thing to eat.The meat was never cooked properly (even the pork) and everything they used was the cheapest. There was nothing that looked tempting,ever. Staff were very rude and even argumentative!! By the time you had finished queing up for your food, it was stone cold when it came to eating it. The drinks are all watered down, even the juices!! Coffee is just out of a dispensing machine (powdered coffee and powdered milk), which I don't mind, but I would have like hot milk, which you can have if you ask for it, but by the time they bring it ( if they bring it at all), you've finished your breakfast!! The lift was never working, so everyone was having to carry the pushchairs up and down the steps every day. There were ant and cockroach infestations in the rooms, which is a huge problem, as not only are your clothes covered in the little blighters, but it's hard to get to sleep knowing they are crawling around everywhere. Not all the pools are heated. The one right outside our 'villa' was'nt so we had to walk around to the next one every day, which was'nt much of a problem but it would have been nice to sit outside our villa and watch the kids in the pool. They moved us after a week into the new amadores dunas. It was a much better standard of hotel and the rooms were very large with marble floors, lovely bathrooms and a large balcony with plush loungers. Food was better, and staff were much happier. Everywhere was lovely and clean. I would never return to the dunas at Maspalomas and all I can say is if your reading this and have booked to go, get to the travel agents tomorrow and change your holiday to somewhere else, I promise you, you will have done the right thing, even if you do have to pay administration fees to change it."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of July 2008

OK but not for small children!

"If your after a relaxing holiday and night life isnt a problem then this resort is great. The food and drinks on all inclusive were brilliant, lots of choice and very tasty food. I travelled with a 2 year old and a 9 month old. My daughter isnt a fussy eater but she refused most food on this holiday I think most of it was too rich so apart from the odd egg or sausage she ate nothing! There was also nothing without heaps of sugar or water for her to drink so we purchased some squash from the supermarket and that helped. There is NO food or drink suitable for a baby but luckily I brought plenty with me. She loved the pool but the baby pool was very chipped and slippy so to be honest I prefered her in the big pool with her ring and arm bands. The water is also salt water so for the first few days it really affected her eyes. My son (9 months) enjoyed the water too although it is cold until the afternoon so he prefered it then. The rooms were ok and the maids friendly and efficient. You get plenty of towels and clean sheets on request. The Suites done have any kitchen facilities so I had to buy a kettle to heat baby milk and food. The only huge problem with the rooms was the travel cots... They were AWFUL, they were smelly and old and falling apart. I decided to let my daughter sleep with me as hers was just so bad. Im sure they would have replaced if I asked but to be honest noone spoke much english so I couldnt be bothered to try. Most of the staff were friendly but you could tell they didnt like to serve the all inclusive guests. I think this would be a great place for familys whos children are 6 or over as they then get the benefit of the mini club which looked a lot of fun."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of July 2008

pleasently surprised

Good

"after reading reviews for the complex we were apprehensive to say the least, but what a surprise, spacious rooms, clean, great garden areas, no problems getting tables at meal times, varied and well presented food, all inclusive drinks, nice pool, plenty of sunbeds.we were there 9-16 june 08 the place was no more than half full which could explain why we did not experience some of the other reviewers problems but judging the place on our week there we could find little to fault. just one word of caution you will find a few cockroaches here and there, mainly outside, the management are aware and it is mentioned in the welcome literature, but it is not because of a cleanliness issue."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of June 2008

Looks great, May disappoint.

"This was a last minute holiday, all inclusive and I was not too sure what to expect. We arrived late and was not too impressed with our first impression of a 4 star reception.It looked a bit grubby. We went to our senior suite which was clean and spacious. We were not fussed about the tv having ltd channels as we were there to relax. In the morning we were pleasently surprised that there was no ownership of sunbeds, there were plenty for all, you could have breakfast and still get a sunbed of choice until about 10.30am. The hotel has a lovely cosmopolitan feel about it with Europeans from all over. The hotel has alot going for it although you are a bit isolated if you just want to take an after dinner stroll. Not everyone wants to go by taxi, bus or car to town. On the whole the hotel tries hard to be 4 star, the gardens are lovely, entertainment is good for a hotel show. My 18 year old wanted to sample the disco only to find it was the same stage/bar as the childrens disco. This hotel would work better on half board as all inclusive I feel puts pressure on staff. If you don't get into the restuarant early the tables are still uncleared/ not re-layed. staff are running around like headless chickens and can be rude due to trying to do everything at once. This is not our fault, It's the management. One barman told me he refused to wait on all inclusive guests as we don't tip. Well I made sure I didn't tip him due to non service and attitude! On the flip side when we were leaving I asked the manager if we could keep our room for the day as my mum is disabled and he was great he came to see my mum personally and gave her flowers to take home. The reception staff were very helpful and the hotel cleaners/gardeners were second to none. You can have a great holiday here it has all the ingredients for a happy relaxing time, just not all inclusive."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of May 2008

Perfect in every aspects

"I visited this hotel end of March 2008, over the Easter weekend for 2 weeks. Lots of confusion about the name of the hotel, even the taxi driver was not sure which hotel it was, Luckily Avenida de Sunair is short and host only Splendido and the Dunas Suite Hotel, booked under "Dunas Suite & Villas Hotel".
In order to enjoy my holiday from the first minute, I jumped in a taxi... 25mn drive and €37 later, I was checked in promptly and was escorted to my suite. Staff speak all major languages and are pleasant, as long as you are polite and say "Hello" "please" Thank you". The resort attracts an eclectic mix of nationalities: Spanish, English, Dutch, French, Belgium, Scandinavian and German.
The Suite was perfect. The maid was very efficient and my suite was spotless and I AM picky. I stayed at the suite 168 and was glad as it is "upstairs" (from the swimming-pool) and in the centre of the resort, as there are departures at any hours of the day and night, and trolleys going by can keep you awake... Very good beds (ferm as a bed is supposed to be), plenty of wardrobes space, fridge/mini-bar in the lounge, hairdryers, phone in lounge and bathroom. Beach towels are provided against a deposit that is refunded when the towel is returned at reception. However note you can obtain a towel only 9am til 1pm...
For late departure, the resort offers a complimentary use of a suite for 45mn so you can shower and change... However, make sure you book it in the morning with reception.

The restaurant... well as many other travellers already mentioned: 2 settings... Perfect. The food is gorgeous and the buffet is continuously refilled until the closing time. Every 3 days king prawns would be cooked before your eyes... delicious. Really the food is varied and everybody can find something they like to eat... The only problem or complain I could make about this lovely hotel/resort is the service. If you do not come when the doors open, then you find no table dressed. I soon found the trick: walk straught to the Maitre D who get everything sorted out for you in 10 secs.

The gardens are well kept and clean. Voyager Trees, palm trees, bougainvilleas, hibisucs, etc...

The location of the hotel is very convenient. You can walk to the gorgeous sandy Maspalomas beach 15/20mn away, on a pedestrian road and no cars near it, therefore very safe if you have kids. You even walk by the Camel camp,and no one can resist the sight. If you are into partying, Playa del Ingles is a very short taxi drive away and will cost approx €6, so you can party all night away.

There is an animation team, pleasant. A selection of different activities is offered during the day. In the evening, they do a 1hour approx show/animation.

A last note, I stayed at the Dunas Suite & Villas resort on All Inclusive basis: very good value. Cocktails are even included (Pina Colada!!) Olé. It is nice. Bottled water (still and sparkling) come in 50cl bottle. Very convenient as they do not warm up by the time you drink them up.

I will definitely be back. Finally I have found the perfect place for a sunny break in the winter. Shame, BA is no longer flying there. I flew the last ever BA flight Gran Canaria/London... Replaced by sad Easyjet... since when Easyjet offers Business Class???"

• Travel date: Sun 27th of April 2008

Better Than Expected

"After reading many reviews on this hotel we weren't expecting much,so we went with an open mind, looking forward to a week of relaxation in the sun.

Our first impressions were good. The room was spot on, we had a junior suite which was adequate for 2 adults a child and an infant

The cot was a travel cot, which was in the main bedroom making it a little cramped but the cot itself was clean and of a good standard.

The layout of the hotel was lovely and peaceful with lots of little individual pools dotted around the complex, which we had no idea about untill we'd been there a couple of days. A couple of which had pool bars, one being self service for beer, wine, soft drinks & coffee.

The food is the thing that lets this hotel down drastically. I'm not a fussy eater, i'm easily pleased and the food wouldn't of been bad if was at least warm. But at least 5 days of our weeks holiday the food was COLD. There wasn't really much for the kids apart from chips that you could guarantee they would like but they were stone cold and not at all edible. The snacks at the pool bar weren't up to much either - once again cold.

My fifteen month old baby came down with really bad diorreah on our 3rd day and is still unwell now. Obviously we can not say is was the food but i'd be surprised if it wasn't a factor. I would say to any one taking a little one, take some diorylite with you and some formula milk even if your baby doesn't have formula at home, as it was the only thing ours could drink and keep down.
I'm so pleased we took it as our little one wold of probably ended up in hospital without it.

To sum up, it could be a lovely place if the food issue was sorted out. I woudn't go back or recommend it to any body, which is a shame as it could be a great place."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of April 2008

Excellent but bring ear plugs

"Having read the reviews we were a bit sceptical but we had a great time. We asked to change rooms as our room faced a noisy public footpath and it was very difficult to sleep.. We were moved immeditaly to a beautiful room near the pool but there was occasional overhead noise as the pathway runs over the room. I just bought some ear plugs and that solved the problem. Also the walls are paper thin and you can hear the people next door no matter where you are but we were out all day. We asked to have the temperature of the air conditioning raised and they sent the maintenance man over in 2 minutes! These were the only problems we had.
We had a fabulous time. The food was great but after
a couple of days we got bored and ate in Maspalomas. The first week, the resort was very full and noisy but the second week it was empty. The staff were fabulous throughout, especially Angela on reception, for whom nothing was any trouble.
There was lots to do and see and although there were a few problems, none of them insurmountable and all delt with immeditally, I would high reccommend this hotel.
Some of the English and German people were very rude to the staff . But I can safely say that they respond warmly to a smile!!
The pool side, rooms and restaurant are immaculate, you can have lunch in the pool bar but we just drank the beer!
We hired a car and travelled all over the island, well worth it and took the kids to Aqualand, 5 mins from the resort (euro 5 taxi) and you can return free for another visit.
All in all a beautiful island, lovely hotel, just be nice to the staff and you'll get what you want. Also English is not their first language so speak slowly.
In the hotel blurb they say that they want to make this the most enjoyable stay and I would agree; they try very hard to get it right, if you have a problem, just bring it to their attention and they will fix it, don't come home and moan.
We went to Bistro 22 in Playa del Cura and had a fabulous meal for 60 euros, 5 of us!! The food is super and the service is 5*, the restaurant is a traditional Canarian conservatory on top of the shopping centre, the food is great and half the price of some inferior food in Maspalomas!
The beach is great for a run early in the morning and the hotel is perfectly situated for access, path half mile for warm up..........the hotel also has a small gym with bike, cross trainer and plenty of weights.
There is a life guard on duty art the pool which I found very reassuring.
Sunbed towels are available on demand (deposit euro 10, refunded on departure) and you can change every day.
Safe available in every room, we brought a laptop to watch DVD's, very good idea as CNN only available on TV. Wifi available in foyer for your own laptop or pay as you go computers in computer room.
Buy water 5L in supermarket as very expensive in reception shop. Also explore whole complex as there are several pools and lots of activities for the kids around the complex.
We found the water very hard and used twice as much soap, shampoo etc so bring plenty with you as it's quite expensive to buy.
LASTLY, pack a smile or ten!!"

• Travel date: Fri 25th of April 2008

Good holiday Great weather!

Good

"We arrived at the Dunas Suite Hotel after a 4hour flight, only to be told we didnt have a suite (which we had booked two months earlier)We were asked if we would mind going to a nearby hotel which was at least a 15minute drive from Dunas, if we didnt like it we could return to the Dunas the next morning.After looking at the hotel room(which was on the fifth floor of a high rise hotel)we decided to return to the Dunas straight away in a taxi paid by us.The receptionist wasnt very helpful and put us into a damp self catering bungalow and said we could change to a suite later in the week,which we did. The suite was beautiful and clean and comfotable. The restaurant was spotlessly clean and the staff work extremely hard. The food was varied and delicious, the only thing is it could have been hotter! we took our own travel kettle and mugs as none are provided. we would go back again as we had a lovely time once a few problems were ironed out."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of January 2011

Stayed here in a 1 bed Suite with Husban...

Good

"Stayed here in a 1 bed Suite with Husband and my Sister had a separate Suite.

Overall we found it acceptable for 4 star, not over priced as some say. We found the bar to be a bit soulless and found that drinking on the terrace overlooking the pool was fine for us as we all enjoy our own company. The queue at the bar was slow more than long.

The air con wasnt the best we've ever had but fine for beginning of Sept, July/August might have been a bit tricky.

Food was plentiful and enjoyable, and yes if you stay over a week like any place, it will become repetitive.

The beds were firm but comfortable. Large Bathroom and hot water needed a 5 minute run before comign, a smallish living area but ok. They'd taken the bridge off the jacuzzi for 'major renovations' and it never returned during our trip..so what you say...bid deal if you dont swim!! Wasnt the end of the world but would have been nice to try!

LOCATION: is remote but his shouldnt come as a surprise, but we like the peace but weather dependant, its a lovely walk to the beach via the 'dry river bed' they also have the courtesy bus available free if you like.

COCKROACHES : Quite a few cockroaches about. considering this was our 10th trip to various places in Maspalomas, it was the worst for roaches, due to the lovely lush vegetation, but if you dont like them, you wont like it here....my Sister was traumatised! And in the end she had me convinced that I'd wake up with them in the bed with me too...and every night the towel went down under th front door and slept with an empty glass beside the bed to catch them. The cleaners were good, they noticed my little notes with RIP and a cross on IT...meaning 'dead, now bury me please'.

Bless. Overall worth a try."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of September 2008

Hotels near Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort

Stayed at Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort

• maps265 by maps265

"Good for a quiet holiday, weather great! "

Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort is also called