1937
Good

Nice hotel, shame about the entertainment

Reviewed Fri 28th of August 2009

"Just returned from 2 weeks at the ClubHotel Riu Gran Canaria in Meloneras with Thomsons. This was our second trip to this hotel, the first time we went out of season so we wanted to return in the summer. The hotel was clean and tidy and rooms are adequate in size for 2 adults, we did have an ant problem but the hotel did sort it out. The food was faultless with lots of choice and plenty of flavoursome dishes even for the fussiest of eaters. Location was perfect for those of you who like to have an evening walk down on the prom to wear off your evening meal and was located within a ten minute walk to the beach. There was a mix of nationalities but unfortunately there were only about 20% of them that were English so we were a bit outnumbered especially when it came to finding a sun bed as they were reserved very early in the morning even though there was a sign stating that you could not reserve them. My only disappointment and the reason I will not be returning to this lovely hotel is the evening entertainment, as I have been to Thomson hotels before and I have been spoilt with early discos for the younger children followed by entertainment team for the families and then a disco for the adults but all this hotel offered was the animation team dressing up in a different costume every night dancing and miming to ancient pop songs and calling the show by a different name, then it ended at 11 o’clock and the room was cleared, if you are considering this hotel then please do what every other table did and buy yourself a pack of cards otherwise you will be utterly bored by the end of the week, we had to endure 2 weeks of it and it was painful, never had so many early nights on holiday. The entertainment team work extremely hard but unfortunately whoever choreographs the shows needs to realise what the audience wants and that’s entertaining, shame on you!"

• Travel date: Wed 26th of August 2009

Where do I start with my review. I will...

Reviewed Thu 17th of July 2008

"Where do I start with my review. I will be as summised as possible I promise. From the moment of our arrival to the last minute we were guests we were treated with so much hospitality, there didn't seem enough the staff could do for you. The rooms were more than adequate for myself and my two teenage children (17 & 15 ) The domestic service was excellent with each day clean towels and rooms tidied. The food choice was superb which was constantly being replenished,having the snack bar by the pool was great as you didn't have to walk to the restaurant. I enjoyed the evening entertainment but should you not want to watch it there is a lovely veranda where you could sit with a drink and a lovely gentle breeze which is much needed after a very hot day.
The animation team where excellentlly encouraged everyone to have a great time and were not forcefull should you not want to join in, I was impressed as they made a real effort with the lovely group of teenagers which were there that week.
The beach is around 500 metres away and is really lovely and clean, the sand is like dust. There is a breeze which is well appreciated but be careful as you aren't aware of how hot it is so plenty of cream is advised. The sea itself is not child friendly purely as the current is VERY STRONG, I am a strong swimmer but even I felt uncomfortable out of my depth. Don't let this put you off too much as the children could still paddle. The area itself is nicely presented and well maintained which is refected in the kind of people which stay at the Riu Gran Canaria. Overall I would recommend this hotel and hope to return a.s.a.p. Just excellent, excellent, excellent "

• Travel date: Thu 17th of July 2008

well run hotel although you have to get...

Reviewed Sun 1st of June 2008

"well run hotel although you have to get up to save your sun bed the staff are very good work always with a smile and time to chat with all food was very good plenty of choice this is really an all inclusive branded drinks pay extra for a garden view entertainment all day the shows at night very professional
mini& maxi club very well run.
bus station near by excellant service to all parts of the island."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of June 2008

Just returned from a week at the riu clu...

Reviewed Thu 7th of February 2008

"Just returned from a week at the riu club maspalomas, after reading the reviews before we left we felt confident the hotel would be ok.
We had a fantastic week, the hotel is spotless, staff very polite and friendly with out appearing fake.
We had all inclusive.....and the food was very good, there really is something for everyone. I could not fault the food, last year we stayed at a five star hotel and this four star was every bit as good. Perhaps even better in the fact it was relaxed, the entertainment did not interest us so could not comment on that aspect. We sat outside on the bar terrace every night enjoying a few drinks, very generous helpings I must add. There was a singer outside on the terrace 2 nights which was nice, and local shops to just walk to.
The rooms are cleaned daily, each has a small but adequate balcony. The area surrounding the hotel is upmarket, I would recommend this hotel very highly.

• Travel date: Thu 7th of February 2008

Myself and my husband stayed at this hot...

Reviewed Wed 23rd of January 2008

"Myself and my husband stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon last year and we were overall very impressed!

The food was to a very high standard with lots of choice every night, with a Italian bar serving pastas, pizzas and garlic breads, to the main grill with at least three different meats available every night. Even the snack bar in the door had enough choice for you to visit every lunch time.

The rooms were very comfortable and kept very clean by the maids on a regular basis, with swans left on you're bed made from towels.

The location of the hotel was superb! Just on the sea front and a ten minuite stroll to the beach and shops.

Well recommended!"

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of January 2008

We stayed at this hotel for two weeks in...

Reviewed Fri 28th of September 2007

"We stayed at this hotel for two weeks in July 2007.

The standard of food was quite impressive. There was so much choice and variety you could pick and choose something different to eat every night. There was an International restaurant and also a adjoining restaurant with Canarian cuisine. They also had theme nights like Mexican and Asian. This could be booked at the pool restaurant several nights a week too.

The theme nights were great. The drinks were also good. I did ask sometimes and got the branded whiskey instead of the local one. Which tasted much better! The cocktails were good quite a lot of choice too.

Our room was very clean and bright. We had fresh clean pool towels every day. The pool is lovely it is split into three separate ones, one was heated. The Jacuzzis in the middle were nice but not heated.

Get down to the pool early as all the sunbeds go very early. I did see a man reserving two sunbeds the night before! The pool was clean but the surrounding area was not cleaned enough. Make sure you wear some sort of shoes flip flops maybe otherwise your feet will be dirty.

The animation team worked very hard. The entertainment was 6/10.

The location of the hotel is in an upmarket area. It is also a lovely walk along the promenade. If you turn left out of the gate and you can walk to little shops, restaurants etc.

Lots of Germans here too.

Would recommend."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of September 2007

Stayed at this Hotel in the May half ter...

Reviewed Mon 2nd of July 2007

"Stayed at this Hotel in the May half term week. Huge hotel, very nicely laid out, lovely gardens down to the pool area and then on to the promenade.

We had interconnecting double rooms, with a lovely side garden view - wouldn't pay a supplement as all the rooms seemed to have nice views.

The food was really good, as you would expect from Riu, two large dining rooms that were always busy but not too crowded, although don't expect to be able to 'linger' over your meal!

Drinks were not served during the day and were available from machines, which I wasn't keen on, the wine was poor - husband said the lager was 'drinkable' - drinks available from the bar in the evening, usual spirits etc, these were ok.

The resort is lovely and the walk along the promenade very pleasant, lots of nice up market shops and bars - all noticeably very clean.

The downside for us was the pool area - extremely crowded with sunbeds pushed VERY close together with no room to move! It was the same in the evening with a large terrace area cramped full of plastic chairs and tables, I think the hotel should at least invest in some 'comfy chairs to sit on.

That aside, we had a good chill out holiday with lovely food and fantastic weather, probably wouldn't return as the Hotel is a little too big for us. "

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of July 2007

Four adults & 2 children stayed. Very c...

Reviewed Fri 25th of August 2006

"Four adults & 2 children stayed. Very clean, staff very friendly and welcoming and worked extremely hard.

The rooms were good and our two rooms with connecting door was quiet. The food was plentiful and usually well cooked with plenty of variety except once or twice the chef must have had day off as you could see there was not so much choice, in fact twice there was only one type of potatoes.

During the second week the food began to be a bit repetitive and as we have been to other Riu Hotels where this was not the case, it was a little disappointing. The drinks were plentiful and always available and English brands of gin & vodka are available if you ask for them (although it took us until the second week to find this out).

The entertainment staff worked exceedingly hard and provided professional shows, the best we have ever experienced in a hotel. The children's entertainment was mainly geared to the foreign children although as the music was repeated so many times our children became quite proficient singing in the foreign language.

The area is excellent and quite safe and we enjoyed ourselves very much. Only down side which ruined an otherwise good holiday was the fact we had to organise a rota and set the alarm to put towels on the sun beds before 7 o'clock as because the foreign guests were allowed to do this we would not have otherwise obtained beds for six people unless we did the same. The hotel should really stick strictly to their rules.

• Travel date: Fri 25th of August 2006

On arriving at this hotel my first impre...

Reviewed Fri 21st of July 2006

"On arriving at this hotel my first impressions were that it seemed like Blackpool had met Gran Canaria- people were crowding around the outdoor bar ordering cocktails and other such alcoholic drinks and it was very busy.

But I soon changed my opinion of the hotel.

It turned out it was these people's last day so they were not to bother us in the slightest. Also, we didn't see another episode like that throughout the duration of the holiday.

The hotel catered for people of all ages. There was loads to do and no reason to be bored. Activities such as rifle shooting, darts, sjoelbak, water gym, tennis, beach volleyball and football (to name a few) were available to people of all ages, including small children (though well supervised by the activities staff)- and all free.

Evening entertainment varied, sometimes foreign acts (the best being Chinese acrobatics-amazing!) to the musical "Grease", performed by the activities staff. Sometimes the quality of the shows was not as good as previous nights but you were free to leave the theatre whenever you wanted.

The hotel food gave a wide variety each night and provided well for vegetarians and children. Lots of choice for breakfast lunch and dinner- themed nights were a good try but not quite the same as the real thing. Make sure to book your table early for the themed nights (no extra cost) as they are quite popular. Otherwise there are two other restaurants offering different types of food if themed food isn't your thing.

Rooms were very clean, we actually had to change rooms because of noisy residents, which the staff soon sorted out. We also received a free basket of fruit by the management!

The staff were very helpful as were the activities team, all spoke a variety of languages.

The hotel was only 5 mins walk from two different shopping centers and other shops, which was convenient.

Only real annoyance was the Germans! Make sure to get sun beds early as they tend to ignore the rule about not reserving them!

Overall, a very enjoyable holiday, we will definitely return here!"

• Travel date: Fri 21st of July 2006

Just returned from 10 day break at this...

Reviewed Sat 15th of April 2006

"Just returned from 10 day break at this hotel - it was great! We have 4 children, 16, 14, 11 and 3, and there really was something for everyone. Activities are great if you choose to do them, but no pressure.

My husband played football every day, and we all used the gym and the pool - which was on the cool side, but OK. Hotel staff were brilliant, nothing was too much trouble, they arranged a decorated table and birthday cake for our daughters birthday. Everyone was friendly, the entertainment team were fantastic, full of energy - their evening shows were great fun!

Only downside was the pool sun beds got reserved pretty early, so you had to take your towels on the way to breakfast and book your beds - if you like to stay in bed till 11, you don't have a hope of finding a sun bed! Food and drink very good, plenty of variety and always available.

Our daughter also enjoyed the air hockey and pool table (payable extra). Computers are available in the main lobby, which were popular with the teenagers! We'd definitely return here."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of April 2006

We stayed at this hotel in October 2005....

Reviewed Tue 7th of February 2006

"We stayed at this hotel in October 2005. The hotel is very friendly and very clean. The rooms are very nice and the beds get changed every day.

The food is delicious, there is a different meal on the menu every night. Once the entertainment has finished in one room, you can go to the club called KISS which is still on the hotel grounds.

We will definitely be returning to this hotel.

The weather was great and you are guaranteed to get sunbeds.

Ryan Holley
Birmingham"

• Travel date: Tue 7th of February 2006

This hotel is fantastic the staff are re...

Reviewed Sat 14th of January 2006

"This hotel is fantastic the staff are really friendly the food is great. We went for a week on our honeymoon and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The evening entertainment was a bit hit and miss but the kids seemed to like it. The hotel was quite full of Germans but what the hell. Room was really nice and clean and the hotel gardens were great, no rubbish anywhere. The nearest town/shops is just a 5 min walk away. I have been to hotels that cater for all inclusive before but this was by far the best. Eat, drink, relax and be happy in this place.

Would go again definitely!

• Travel date: Sat 14th of January 2006