ClubHotel Riu Gran Canaria

Urb. Las Meloneras, 35100, Maspalomas, Gran Canaria Spain

Good

What can I say!

"We have just returned from this brilliant hotel having had 2 weeks of lovely sunshine. 5 - 19 March. The food, staff and entertainment team were just wonderful. The whole place was so well kept. Nothing was too much trouble. The room was well serviced. It was great to have the fridge and safe included, along with the bottled water available from reception. Food was available all day from breakfast in the dining room, followed by continental breakfast by the pool should you not surface before 10.30 a.m. Soft drinks and beer 'on tap'
We have never been to an 'all inclusive' hotel before and will certainly be going back to this one for some sun before our winter sets in.
The area is up market and the location of the hotel is ideal for that stroll before settling down by the pool for the day and for an evening promenade. We would like to keep it to ourselves but I suppose we should share it with you all! Just a wonderful place for a holiday sums it up."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of March 2005

One Week In Paradise.

"Riu Club Gran Cararia
Date 14 to 21 March 2005.

We have just returned from one week at Rui Club gran Canaria
All I can say is One Week In Paradise.
We were meet off the coach by the Hotel porter who took our casers to our room after booking in at the well organised reception we were welcomed by the staff with(Welcome to Paradise)and they were right.they also supplied as with a bottle of water,which can be replenished as,&when required,the safe in the room is free as is the fridge,air-conditioning,TV & ceiling fan.
I could not find any thing to complain about this Hotel( Sorry,yes to many RUDE Germans) but please don't be put off with this . As the Hotel staff will make up for this little problem,as they will look after everything for you.
Room service is 100% extremely clean & spotless towels changed every day.towels supplied for sun beds,which could be changed every day,swimming pool, cleaned every day , as were the sun beds.the entertainment every night by the Hotel Animation team was Fantastic,as during the day they have to look after the Hotel guests with water sports,gym,water gym,volly ball,pistol shooting,darts & much more which they do as a team.
Food was of a very high standard with two restaurants for the evening meals.
Looking foreword to next March."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of March 2005

What a fab holiday

"What a great hotel - spotlessly clean, great, smiley and friendly staff, great food. If you want to get away for a winter break, go here. Not a football shirt in sight, just grown ups having a relaxing time. We took a trip down to Puerto Rico, but rushed back to Maspalomas! The rooms are very clean and staff folded our towels in a different animal shape every so often, or left sweets on the bed. Very nice touch getting a bottle of Sherry in the room for birthday. The pools were heated, and very clean. The animation team work extremely hard, but always had a big smile on their faces. Food is great, not fatty greasy horrible stuff, but healthy options a plenty. We had trouble trying to spend our money! Already looking at going back for a week in the autumn. I'd recommend this hotel and resort to anyone!"

• Travel date: Mon 14th of March 2005

Hated every day here. Not value for money.

"I'm afraid that i am a bit of a holiday snob, so am sure that some people will not agree with my comments. I can not fault the rooms at all, and the whole hotel was clean, no problems there! Unfortunately when we arrived, the weather was not very good, there was high winds, followed by torrential rain for a day or two. The walkways to the rooms were open to the elements and there is a staircase that runs all the way down to reception, and so as well as blowing a gale outside, there were also winds whipping through reception, making it cold and we were unable to sit there.

If you want a drink in the evening, you have two choices in the hotel, either the vast salon lounge where the shows & kids disco take place, or at the terrace bar which is outside (in wind & rain this is not much fun!)

Whilst it was raining the walkways to the rooms got flooded, so we had to wade through puddles and the doorways all had towels in them to prevent the water getting into the room!

The fruit juice is from a self service machine and is not proper fresh fruit juice, but some kind of reconstituted stuff that made me want to heave after a couple of days. As per the coffee, it comes out of a machine and is not made with proper milk.

The food - granted there is a fair amount of choice, but it is the same choices day in day out! As a non fish eater, by the time we had eaten our first six meals in the hotel, I had eaten pork 4 times! In the main restaurant the food is of the same type at lunch and in the evening, and in the snack bar which I found a bit old & tired looking there are hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, pasta & toasted sandwiches every single day. If you are not fussy about your food then you will be fine, but I did not find the quality of the meat up to much, when there was chicken on, it was normally chicken legs, not a breast in sight!

We ended up eating out for 7 of our 14 nights there, and I felt the whole holiday was a total waste of money.

I can recommend staying at the Maspalomas/Tabiba Princess up the road which has much nicer public areas around the hotel, (although the room is not quite as nice as the Riu, but who goes on holiday to stay in the room?), and use the money saved to buy your drinks & lunch which really are not that expensive.

Unless you are going to drink all day long, this all inclusive is just not value for money.

P.S. Not all the drinks are branded as we were led to believe by some of the other reviews on this site, and if you want beefeater gin you have to ask specifically or you get cheapo gin! The only branded spirits we saw tucked away in the corner of the bar, were Bacardi, Beefeater gin and Ballantines whisky."

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of March 2005

Wonderful winter warmth

"Great hotel, great location!

We had taken advice from a number of people before embarking on our first foreign holiday with our 3 year old son. Would it be too warm? would it be too cold? Would he sit still at dinner? Was the beach nearby? all of the questions parents face!

But we need not have worried at all.

This is a great hotel for families.

From the moment we checked in the staff were warm and friendly, and our son got special treatment from them all.
In the restaurants the waiters and waitresses made special efforts to keep him entertained and amused and nothing was too much trouble.

The rooms were modern, clean and not a bad size and the cleaning staff were efficient and friendly.

The beach is about 800m away and its a lovely gentle stroll along the promenade. Plenty of nice shops on the way including a toy shop! (As the hotel is all inclusive this is the only place we spent any money) Once you get to the beach the sand is clean and of the perfect consistency for the production of some great sand castles (hey we are all big kids at heart!)

The only slight grumble I can have over the whole holiday was that the swimming pools could have done with being a couple of degrees warmer. They were a bit on the chilly side and only the brave, foulish and us entered them.

I would recommend this hotel to anybody and we will certainly go back."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of February 2005

YOU'LL LOVE THIS HOTEL

"We have just returnd from the Riu Club Gran Canaria. What a fantastic hotel. You seriously could not fault a thing. The reception was so organised, and was very surprised when we were given a large bottle of water, and was replenished as and when required, even the room safe was free of charge. The room was spotless the maid even left a towel on the bed folded with flowers and sweets. The food was excellent most of it was cooked fresh in front of you, always a variety and plenty of it. The bars served named drinks (very unusual). Entertainment wasn't so hot but adequate. The main room had four very large pillars which made life awkward for the people behind them. There are three lovely pools (heated in the winter). Security was very good guard at every enterance. Beach and classy shopping centre nearby (quite a few scatchcard maniacs beware!). Overall we had a great time and would reccommend it to anyone."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of January 2005

Best Hotel I Have Ever Stayed In

"Stayed here in September 2004 - best hotel I have ever stayed in. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Hotel spotlessly clean. food wide ranging menus, was spot on. Free drinking water from reception - just a little touch, but means so much.
I want to go back in March 2005 but the Easter prices are too much for my budget, but I will go back because it is so good."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of January 2005

Fantastic Place.. would go back any time!

"Having just returned from this hotel after one week in the glorious sunshine... my fiance and I would love to return.

The hotel is spotlessly clean.. with super facilities.

They cater for everything.. it really is All Inclusive! Little touches like bottled water "free" from reception whenever you like.. free use of the that fridge you find in your room.. free use of safe in your very fresh, clean, modern room!!

All of the staff were excellent and make you feel welcome.. whether at breakfast or in the well hidden night club at 1:30am! (you can never hear it from outside!! its set away from the main hotel and underground!!).

Food was awesome.. something for everyone.. even the way you are greated by the head chef and managment before dinner (a 6 or 8pm sitting) was majestic and added to the special feeling. The food was varied, very good and fresh!.. (even cater for a good English breakfast)... blimey, I could go on and on..

Entertainment is some of the best I've ever seen whilst on holiday.. though I'm sure its not to all tastes.. its very well done.

Meloneras its self (in Maspalomas which can be confusing) was a lovely up market place.. it doesn't atract the louts! The new shopping, bar and restaurant area (about 5-8 mins walk along the sea front) is very up market and "trendy" with Hugo Boss and Lacoste boutiques to name a few.. great for a stroll out day or night!

Weather was great during the week we were there (3rd - 10th Jan 2005) at about 23-25 degrees C. Though it can be a bit fresh of an evening.

All in all.. fantastic and would definately go back!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 11th of January 2005

My best holiday yet

"We have just returned from this wonderful hotel and I would class this as my best holiday yet.
The food was marvellous, hotel accomodation fantastic, endless activities and the evening entertainment was fantastic and very professional. Location is good with quite a few bars and shops close by. There is some building work going on next door but was not a problem as they are just putting the finishing touches to the new hotel. I have been to many foreign hotels over the last 30 years and I can honestly say that th Riu Gran Canaria Hotel is the best that I have ever visited.
I look forward to returning very soon."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of November 2004

Fantastic Summer Holiday

"My wife, daughter of 12 and I, had a fantastic holiday at this hotel. My daughter has a learning disability the entertainment team were superb with her and enabled her to join in with whatever activity they had planned for children.
The food was excellent, the entertainment great and nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were always friendly and helpful.
We fully intend to return to the Riu Grand Canaria without doubt exceptional value for money."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of August 2004

Nice hotel, shame about the entertainment

Good

"Just returned from 2 weeks at the ClubHotel Riu Gran Canaria in Meloneras with Thomsons. This was our second trip to this hotel, the first time we went out of season so we wanted to return in the summer. The hotel was clean and tidy and rooms are adequate in size for 2 adults, we did have an ant problem but the hotel did sort it out. The food was faultless with lots of choice and plenty of flavoursome dishes even for the fussiest of eaters. Location was perfect for those of you who like to have an evening walk down on the prom to wear off your evening meal and was located within a ten minute walk to the beach. There was a mix of nationalities but unfortunately there were only about 20% of them that were English so we were a bit outnumbered especially when it came to finding a sun bed as they were reserved very early in the morning even though there was a sign stating that you could not reserve them. My only disappointment and the reason I will not be returning to this lovely hotel is the evening entertainment, as I have been to Thomson hotels before and I have been spoilt with early discos for the younger children followed by entertainment team for the families and then a disco for the adults but all this hotel offered was the animation team dressing up in a different costume every night dancing and miming to ancient pop songs and calling the show by a different name, then it ended at 11 o’clock and the room was cleared, if you are considering this hotel then please do what every other table did and buy yourself a pack of cards otherwise you will be utterly bored by the end of the week, we had to endure 2 weeks of it and it was painful, never had so many early nights on holiday. The entertainment team work extremely hard but unfortunately whoever choreographs the shows needs to realise what the audience wants and that’s entertaining, shame on you!"

• Travel date: Wed 26th of August 2009

Where do I start with my review. I will...

"Where do I start with my review. I will be as summised as possible I promise. From the moment of our arrival to the last minute we were guests we were treated with so much hospitality, there didn't seem enough the staff could do for you. The rooms were more than adequate for myself and my two teenage children (17 & 15 ) The domestic service was excellent with each day clean towels and rooms tidied. The food choice was superb which was constantly being replenished,having the snack bar by the pool was great as you didn't have to walk to the restaurant. I enjoyed the evening entertainment but should you not want to watch it there is a lovely veranda where you could sit with a drink and a lovely gentle breeze which is much needed after a very hot day.
The animation team where excellentlly encouraged everyone to have a great time and were not forcefull should you not want to join in, I was impressed as they made a real effort with the lovely group of teenagers which were there that week.
The beach is around 500 metres away and is really lovely and clean, the sand is like dust. There is a breeze which is well appreciated but be careful as you aren't aware of how hot it is so plenty of cream is advised. The sea itself is not child friendly purely as the current is VERY STRONG, I am a strong swimmer but even I felt uncomfortable out of my depth. Don't let this put you off too much as the children could still paddle. The area itself is nicely presented and well maintained which is refected in the kind of people which stay at the Riu Gran Canaria. Overall I would recommend this hotel and hope to return a.s.a.p. Just excellent, excellent, excellent "

• Travel date: Thu 17th of July 2008

Hotels near ClubHotel Riu Gran Canaria

Stayed at ClubHotel Riu Gran Canaria? Share your insight.

ClubHotel Riu Gran Canaria is also called