Good

Lovely budget bungalows in gorgeous gardens with nice pools.

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"Take a travel kettle and iron with you as the kitchen is very basic and only has a bar fridge, two ring hob and coffee perculator. There also aren't BBQ facilities so we bought a disposable one as the bungalows are perfect for bbqs on the terrace. Lots of friendly cats that love to eat the leftovers! Hire a car and go up to the middle of the island, scary windey roads but much more interesting and nice natural parks in the woods. Fataga and Puerto de Morgan are lovely day trips and Palmitos animal park is brilliant with dolphins and orangutans! Mainly german, scandinavian and spanish guests, quiet place, take lots of spending money though as gran canaria is blooming expensive, shops, bars and restaurants too!"

• Travel date: 14th April 2010

great budget accomadation

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"After reading some of the reviews on here I was left in no doubt as to why the brits abroad are considered a pain. 1.To Many Germans? yes the complex has a high percentage of Germans who are all polite, quiet and mostly speak Spanish. 2. Unfriendly staff? I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, mind you I did great them in their own language and not assume that they speak English, learn maybe three phrases and try not to remember you are in Spain not clacton 3. Cockroaches? Cockroaches live in hot climates, If they scare you that much buy some cockroach traps, they are about three euros and keep them away, we encountered two whilst at the resort, otherwise dont travel abroad. accomadation was cheap, clean although a little out of the way, Ideal if you have a car or are happy to walk to the Beach which is a 40 min walk. I would return to this complex again no problem. Our rooms were cleaned twelve days out of fourteen and we had clean towels daily"

• Travel date: 3rd February 2010

Excellent Value for Money

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Stayed for a week and found it to be excellent value for money. Basic but very comfortable and clean and if you are operating on a budget this is the place to go. Food and drink were also very good value. Stall wre very friendly and helpful,especially PAQUIA who serviced our apartment excellently with a smile every other day"

• Travel date: 20th December 2009

Not the worst place in the world

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"First trip away with my partners family, use to the delights of the Maldives and 5 star luxury of Kenya, but as we were working on a limited budget this was the choice for 2009. The cosmos rep greeted us at the airport pointed us to the bus and then we were abandon, we never heard from her again. Not that we wanted to but it would have been nice to have a phone number or details of what could have been on offer………. The bus pulled up to a disappointing front entrance, we queued at the reception desk, after five minuets we were served, gave our details, then were pointed to the other less obvious reception desk of Rio club 1, nice lady booked us in. The rooms I have nothing nice to say about the rooms, however in the hotels defense the rooms were very clean, the pots and pans plates etc all looked very clean, big well done to the house keeping. There is no air con or fans provided, you can rent a fan from the reception, as well as renting a safe etc, both of course you have to do, the staff were all friendly and the drinks were cheap, by the end of the day I had forgotten about the basic facility’s. The pool area is busy, again very basic, no shade so take your sun cream, every bed had a towel on by 2am, most did not have people on all day, little frustrating, did I say the drinks were cheap…. Keep drinking…. In closing not the worst place in the world for families…."

• Travel date: 26th August 2009

We wanted a base,somewhere to sleep,thats what we got.

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Just returned from 8 days at Maspalomas and all in all it was exactly what we wanted and exactly what we got. The journey was pleasant enough,Monarch direct flight from Gatwick then only ten mins after we cleared baggage and customs we were on the tranfer bus to Club Rio Maspalomas,the bus journey was done in less than 1hr. Reception was efficient and friendly and the Bungalow was more or less what we expected,there was only two of us so the size was fine though I wouldn't book here if I was taking children,one double bed and one single in the same bedroom plus a sofa that could be used as a single,it was spotlessly clean and the cleaning service 5 days out of seven was very good,a couple of days I could have done with a lie in but felt obliged to get up and let the cleaner do her job but thats just a minor critisism,I'd rather have the place clean. We realised straight away that we wouldn't be doing any cooking,with just a two ring hob and no grill,oven or toaster even a basic cooked breakfast could prove a timing nightmare,this was brought home even more after a visit to Faro 2 shopping centre,5 euros for a 4 slice pack of bacon,shame people shop there at all. We did go to Faro 2 for our first evening meal,this was our first introduction to the restaurant staff who pounce on you as you enter their territory,something that happens almost everywhere on Gran Canaria and something that I found extremely irratating,I'm perfectly capable and happier to look at menu boards and decide for myself thank you. Our first full day started with the courtesy bus into Maspalomas,very friendly driver and the bus goes direct,does not pick up from other places so it's a short journey. Very impressed with the cleanliness and layout of Maspalomas,lovely plants and gardens but very soon after we left the bus the street touts were there,no idea what leaflets tickets etc they were trying to get us to take from them but even polite no thank you's were replied to in a sarcastic and rude manner,shame the local governments allow this as it does become extremely tiresome. With a stroll towards the seafront we discovered Ell Faro (the lighthouse) shopping and restaurant centre,a lovely place to eat in the evening but again as you enter a restaurants territory you are pounced upon but here they are not quite as predatory and if you say you are just looking they leave you alone.Choice of food here is very good and also some very talented musicians playing in the 19th hole,well worth a visit. Second day we asked how far it was to walk to Playa Des Ingles,30-40 mins we were told so off we set,over 1hr later were on the approach to the beach,that was that then,taxi's from now on,if I wanted to walk I'd have gone to the Lake District but what we did discover is that Club Rio is ideally placed as it lies between Maspalomas and Playa Del Ingles so the taxi fares are the same to both,just under 4euros. We tended to go for Playa Del Ingles during the day and Maspalomas for the evening but if you wanted a livlier holiday you could do it the other way around. We went off site every day and evening,I don't like all inclusive and enjoy loking for good restaurants and entertainment and though I realise that March is not going to be a busy time I do think I would have been bitterly dissapointed if I had expected much to occupy our evenings at Club Maspalomas and a quick look at the buffet style food didn't excite my taste buds. All in all we got what we wanted and at a good price,the staff were friendly though one male on reception showed a definate bias towards certain nationalities and it wasn't British so once again it was bite your lip time (my wife was impressed,not often I do that) the rest of the reception staff were polite and helpful and if you wanted a taxi they called it through straight away and it was there usually within ten mins. I would go back here,hopefully I may do so next year but I wouldn't go to Club Rio Maspalomas in the hight of summer as I doubt I could cope without Air Con in such a small bungalow."

• Travel date: 25th March 2009

Winter Week

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"The bungalows are compact and basic, although the bedroom is a good size (1 double and 1 single). We booked this as a self-catering holiday, however there was no kettle and no toaster available, except to hire (kettle costing 12euro hire charge with a 10euro deposit for 1 week). Maid service was excellent with towels changed 4 times within the week and bed linen changed once. The complex is situated within beautifully landscaped gardens and bungalows are very comfortable and homely. Reception staff are pleasant and helpful. There is the option to have buffet breakfast and dinner at a very reasonable charge. Location is close to FARO2 shopping centre and there is also a "Beach Bus" running twice daily."

• Travel date: 8th February 2009

you get what you pay for..

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"What can we say. We landed in Gran Canaria on Monday 25th Feb and stayed for a week making the most of the half board facilities. We were situated in a east facing bungalow and woke up to the sun shining through our window every morning (great way to start the day). The rooms are very basic but what do you expect for the money you pay. They were very clean and the maid came 5 of the 7 days and made the beds and tidied up after us. The bungalows are on the small side but plenty big enough for 2 people possible 3. Its set in a quiet location and makes for a perfect, peaceful retreat. The are 2 swimming pools and a smaller one for kids. The staff are friendly enough and very helpful, if you make the effort with them. We thoroughly enjoyed the week. Our only criticism is the lack of entertainment in the evenings. Luckily we had hired a car for the week and spent most evenings travelling to different places along the south coast. The 2 nights we stayed in the hotel were spent playing cards and listening to music as the TV channels available to the English consist of BBC News World and CNN (rather dull). Playa del Ingles is about a 30 minute walk away or 5 minute drive (taxi's are also cheap) which offers a better selection of evening entertainment and a hard rock cafe. The Faro shopping Centre is also about 30 - 40 mins walk away. There are a good selection of restaurants and shops here too. Faro 2 is like a cheaper version of Faro, but is literally a 5 min walk from the hotel. Again there are a selection of bars, supermarkets and restaurants here. Other than that Maspalomas is pretty quiet and you find yourself making your own entertainment. So to sum it up, if you are looking for a week of peace and quiet and want time in the evenings to read this is the place for you."

• Travel date: 8th March 2008

not too bad

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"we stayed here during christmas and new year with our teenage daughter. The only fault we could find with the accomodation was that it was too small for 3. we prefer to go self catering as we like the freedom to eat as and when, the kitchen? facilities are not very good just 2 rings a toastie maker coffee machine kettle and fridge. The bungalows are set in nice gardens and we were lucky enough to have one at the back which gave us a bit of privacy when sitting out. The staff we met were all friendly and most spoke english very well.we didn't eat at the complex prefering to go out to either faro 2 or to holiday world both about a 5 minutes walk away. (can recommend broncomar at faro 2 for a good meal) The beach is a good walk away took us about 25 mins to walk there although there is a bus twice a day. there is a good bowling alley at holiday world which also has plenty for young children to do. taxis are very cheap and a good way to get around. we were abit worried about arriving on christmas day thinking that most of the shops would be closed but there is a mini market on site open 24 hours a day and the staff gave us directions to faro 2 where there is a supermarket. we would consider staying here again if it was just the 2."

• Travel date: 9th January 2007

Cosmos rates this 3*?!?!?

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"Had to book hol last minute due to work circumstances. Booked through Travel agent on Saturday to fly out Monday. Were told would be allocated on arrival but would be +3*, so were not too worried. How wrong could we be!?! Landed in Gran Canaria and boarded coach with other Cosmos customers, (or should that be cattle?). As we were dropping various parties off, thought that some of accomodation looked a bit ropey, but again, was re-assured by the knowledge that our accomodation was +3*. Arrived at complex late afternoon, tired and hungry, (in-flight food was disgusting!). As we got off coach thought there was some mistake, as these were holiday bungalows and the only rating we could see was 1key on the front wall. I looked at people going in to Reception and they all looked a bit confused and concerned, but as we all do in UK we just followed each other in! The problem was, you see, there was no Rep with us, as only 1 met us at airport, and there were 2 coaches. Decided to check in and speak to rep at the Welcome meeting the next morning, as we were tired and hungry. Info leaflets at complex stated that beach and main centre were a short distance away. I walked to beach one day, it took 40 minutes. The main centre of Playa des Ingles was over 45 minutes walk away. (there were smaller shopping centres, Faro 2 was closest, but no real variety and they were very small). We were in the middle of no-where!! Spoke to Cosmos Rep next day, she stated that Cosmos rated the accomodation 3 diamonds, and told us that taxis were cheap. That's fine but they should realise that this all adds to your Holiday budget. No way of checking Reps claim about rating as no brochure available, but of every web site I checked, the best rating it got was 2*. Ok, about the accomodation! The apartments were VERY small. If more than 2 people going, DO NOT share one apartment. The rooms were clean and the grounds well kept. Thats about it! Nothing special! Dont go self catering, you'll have to rent any appliances you need as there is only a 2 ring hob in the room. You get charged for the item and also have to leave a deposit, which will soon eat into your spending money if your on a budget. Then if you have to get taxis everywhere, you could get really stuck!! The food was ok, not great, but evening meals was enough variety to find something you could eat. This hotel is geared up to suit the German tourist. (eg 12 German tv channels, only BBC world news and CNN for english speaking!). Appeared that most of staff spoke German and seemed to try to avoid speaking to English people, maybe the language was problem? Dont know. One thing I did notice, every one seemed miserable!!! Staff and guests alike! (and speaking to some other guests on way home, can understand why!) To be Honest I cant be too hard on the accomodation or the people who work there. It is Cosmos who have mis-represented the accomodation as somthing which it is not, and it is Cosmos who I will be directing my complaint, via my travel agent. I noticed that several other budget travel companies use this accomodation and I will be interested to find how they rate it! Hope this is helpful, Steve, Birmingham."

• Travel date: 24th September 2006

Hotels near Canary Garden Club

Canary Garden Club is also called

• Club Rio Maspalomas II Hotel
  • rio hotel maspalomas ii
  • rio hotel maspalomas