Brilliant holiday with no complaints

Reviewed Tue 31st of August 2010

"Our part of 4 (37,36,5,7) had a brilliant time. Breakfast was good with freshly ommelates made to order, Barbeque's everyday and I tried some brillian Beef Milanase andthe chicken was brilliant. If your looking for roast beef and yorkshire puddings then this isnt for you, but if you have a more international pallet then it is great.

We always have the view that if the kids are happy then so are we and they were entertained every day. Kids clubs in the mornings, afternoons and evenings if they wanted. I used to get a sunbed at 10am, but if you wanted a parasol then I used to get by the pool about 8:30 and stay until 9am. As breakfast was on until 10am we didnt find this a problem.

The rooms may not be suitable for children under 3 because of the 2 steps but mine were fine.

The entertainers were brilliant, especially "Big Daddy". All in all, we have been to two thomson family clubs, and been to spain about 10 times in the past 4 years and this was our best holiday!"

• Travel date: Wed 25th of August 2010

blackpool in the sun

Reviewed Thu 19th of August 2010

"if you like blackpool and butlins this is the place for you- it was like standing at charing cross station in the morning -toobusy !!!- be early for pool location as hotel to big for size of pool.
food ok - big queues and the same old food - tasteless
entertainment-ok very butlins and the shows brought in for the nite should have stayed at home.
alsolocation in the middleof nowhere - have to get taxi everywhere
def a package tour hol - the highlight is the bingo!!!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 18th of August 2010

Wouldn't go back

Reviewed Tue 17th of August 2010

"Just arrived back from Grand Canaria after spending 10 days at the Hotel Orquidea. Initially we were pleased, Hotel seemed clean enough, pools are great, grounds nice, beach ok. Unfortunately as the holiday progressed we worked out that the all inclusive package we had booked was not what we expected. The food in this hotel is of poor quality, plates and cutlery normally dirty unless you search for something clean ish. It appeared that the Hotel was catering for high volumes on a budget. Hotel staff friendly and reps helpful.Hotel great for entertaining the young ones just a shame they didn't put as much effort into offering them balanced meals. Dissapointed that the only sandy beach was man made and then after paying all inclusive we needed to pay to use the sunbeds on this beach, were not allowed to get a drink in the bar nearest the beach unless we paid which meant walking up and down to get refreshments and if we stood a chance of getting a sunbed round the pool we needed to be sat by it by 7.30/8ish and stay there to prevent towels being thrown off resulting in split shifts for breakfast, great family meal. All in all we certainly wouldn't return to this hotel and hope things improve for other people however this is just my opinion of the Hotel going by our own personal experience. "

• Travel date: Mon 16th of August 2010

Would not go back!!!

Reviewed Wed 11th of August 2010

"We visited the hotel on an all inclusive basis from 28th June until 12th July. Our party included 2 children age 1 and 3 and 6 adults aged 18, 19, 32, 33, 37 and 63. 2 years ago we went to Cyprus on a platinum deal with Thomsons which was fantastic so we thought we would have a good time here - that was not the case and most certainly not worth the money.

FOOD - its awful!!!! we had 3 vegetarians in our party and we lived on chips and salad for lunch and evening meal more or less every day. The meat eaters felt the food had no taste and was of a very poor quality. The breakfasts however were excellent and there was so much choice and the snacks throughout the day were very repetative. We ate out three times and really enjoyed the meals and compared to the hotel food we came away feeling full and happy. We spoke to at least a dozen families who felt exactly the same as us and dreaded going for something to eat. We read reviews on here and gave them the benefit of the doubt when some people had not been impressed but after visiting we most definately agree with them.

ROOMS - considering this is a Thomson Family Extra holiday the rooms are NOT suitable for children. They are split level and we had a couple of accidents when we were there. I was on edge every time my children walked near the stairs rather than relaxing when I was on my holiday.

ENTERTAINMENT for kids it is brilliant throughout the day and the evening and the kids club was very well ran. Loved the quizzes at lunchtime for the adults as well

CRECHE - again great facility (i only went to the drop in sessions and steph and mandy were both lovely ladies + made me feel very welcome with my 2 children)

BABY ROOM - made life much easier for heating baby milk and for baby changing in the day and evening - would love this facility everytime I went abroad if I had babies or toddlers with me.

BEACH - yes its got lots of pebbles but my kids loved throwing them into the sea and paddling in the water

All in all we would not return to this hotel and were very disappointed and if I was you I would believe everything you read!!"

• Travel date: Thu 5th of August 2010

fabulous

Reviewed Wed 11th of August 2010

"this has been the best hoilday i have been to.i have kids age 4+10 they had a ball.the entertainment staff were brilliant,especially sunny sarah,becky boo.andy pandy and big daddy.they made our holiday they were fantastic.the food was great ,plenty of selection.the rooms were spotless.the maids cleaned your rooms evryday and sometimes leave you chocolates.my only problem was having to queue for childrens clubs.you had to queue the night before for a place for the next day,sometimes queued for 45mins then be told their were no spaces.i done it the first day and never done it again.my kids went to the drop in.which was for any age group.it meant both my kids could go togethter.but had to queue for that as well.not avery good set up.but other than taht it was fab. "

• Travel date: Fri 30th of July 2010

The All Inclusive Soft Drink Special

Reviewed Wed 13th of October 2010

"My partner, her 12 year old son and myself stayed at the Orquidea. First the positives: the Thomson reps were amongst the hardest working we have experienced, always willing to be of assistance and ready to entertain at all times. The club connected to the hotel (Garbos) had a great Elvis show with a personal touch and served free food and drink. Sioux City is a great western show and is based on a cattle ranch. Our best times of the holiday were those spent off the hotel site. On the negative side, first and foremost are the supposed all inclusive alcoholic drinks which were served 3/4 full in plastic cups and I think you'd find more alcohol in a wine gum! Weaker than lemonade. This hotel is to be avoided if you have children over the age of 10; there are screaming kids running around until midnight. The evening meal was basic in an overcrowded restaurant. The thing we were most looking forward to was the flight home. The entertainment was second rate. Our recommendation: go to Turkey."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of July 2010

Best Holidayy Everr

Reviewed Tue 26th of October 2010

"This gorgeous beautiful hotel is the place to go and i totally disagree wwith the reviews sayinmg that the entertainment was not up to scratch , im ny opinion it was amazing andd me and my children enjoyed it so much , ccant wait to return again next year
thankyou all that work so hard"

• Travel date: Tue 8th of June 2010

not worth the money

Reviewed Thu 27th of May 2010

"Having just spent 2 weeks here with wife and 2 children, all inclusive, we actually ate out 9 times. The food was basic with little choice! On arrival, our room was directly above the entertainment, which, believe me is no joke. However, this was rectified immediately and we was given a wonderful room on the 9th floor.. Unless you are prepared to stay on site at all times and, take part in the so called activities, then dont expect much from the entertainment staff, particularly Becca boo and, Big daddy, who wasnt around much!! Unless you hire a car, then there isnt much to do here! 2 bars, a few shops and, an amazing chinese called Yaso Chino. If you use one of the bars across the road make sure its Bar Franky. excellent service at reasonable prices. The other bar charges what it likes and keeps running out of stock. Apparently i heard they charge so much to subsidize the free drink that they give to the reps every night. Not all bad though. If you require any help with anything, Paul at customer sevice desk is your man. Also we have never used a creche before, but did do here and, the staff there are remarkable. Thanks alot girls!! There is a little beach bar which is worth a look too, near the wind surfers.. Palmitos Park worth the money, particularly the dolphin show. Will not be going again..."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of May 2010

Volcano sent us here.

Good
Reviewed Tue 27th of April 2010

"We were fortunate enough to be sent to the Orquidea Hotel, Bahia Feliz due to the eruption of the volcano in Iceland from Puerto Rico where we had been staying for a week. We could not take our scheduled flights home and luckily thompsons sent us here to stay on a half board basis without any cost to us for accomodation or food. We couldnt believe our luck. The hotel is lovely, the rooms spacious, clean and comfortable. We even found a towel on the bed folded to look like a swan. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The food was amazing, we stuffed ourselves silly. The selection of food was awesome, even catering for those with gluten intolerance. How anyone could critisize the food selection at any meal time is beyond us. Omg we so recommend the lemon mousse. Three great pools kept at a constant temperature and yes you do have to pay for the best pool but why would you when you have the pools and ocean there. The complex was clean and prices were fair. If you want to treat yourself to a few hours away from the other guests then go to the spa. The larger pool, jacuzzi and steam room is included in the 6 euro price tag for 2 1/2 hrs. If you want to use this take your own bathing cap or purchase one for 2.50 euros, this is a great idea as i wouldn't want your hair stuck to my arm. Our only small critisism would be the evening entertainment, not so good but overall a great location for your holiday and perfect for kids."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of April 2010

Could do better

Reviewed Tue 6th of April 2010

"Stayed at the Orquidea Hotel 15th to 22nd March 2010. Two adults with no children.
Positives.
Very friendly and helpful staff. Good choice of well prepared and good quality food. Pleasant well kept grounds.
Negatives.
Not a pleasant looking Hotel building. Rooms are reasonable but the bathrooms in the two rooms we used were a little grubby with dirty stained grouting around the bath and shower and cracked sinks. Three star rather than four.
Dining room far too small for the number of people using it. Mealtimes were therefore very noisy and crowded and resembled a “bunfight” at times. When you enter the dining room you have to wait in a queue to be shown to a table. Lots of spilt food on the floor as staff were too busy to clean it up.
Prices of drinks and ice creams etc were nearly four times the amount as outside of the Hotel.
Very poor evening entertainment.
Lots of litter around the swimming pools and you have to pay to get into the best swimming pool.
No separate areas around the pools for smokers so you and your children will have to inhale the smoke.

• Travel date: Sun 28th of March 2010

Best holiday ever

Reviewed Wed 10th of November 2010

"We went there aug 2009, what can i say? It was the best holiday ever, i enjoyed every single time i had in there, i usually went different countries with my little brother, and mum, just for 1 week, and that time, we went there for 10 nights with my childhood friends, and her parent, little brother. it was the best times, i know i have said that i usually went different countries for 1 week, i would say, roughly 4 days, i had enough and want go home, but this,.. 10 night, and NEVER felt enough!!! There's 3 pools, and beach, sometime there's seaweed there, but it didnt bothers me, i am fussy eat, but i still managed to find food i like, and there's really good supermarket near there which is very cheap! Not much things to do but if you walk through the beach, there's pub there, and windsurfing, and lots things. We did sneak up and swam the swimming pool during the night time, which was the best!! there's trip there which's really good, and we went to the bus and went to other beach, jetting there, and many different things there. We had so much fun until the last night, of course we was very grumpy, (every time i went 1 week holiday, i didnt cry or i did have little tears) but this... i cried so badly, didnt want to leave, it was sad to leave there, even when we got home, i did even begged mum to book there again but sadly we couldnt as we wanted to travel different countries... but for sure, in future, i will be back :) TRUST me, go there!! :)

• Travel date: Thu 4th of March 2010

Better than all the rest

Reviewed Wed 2nd of September 2009

"This is an absolutely fantastic hotel especially for children. I was amazed at the food. I was expecting all beef burgers and fish fingers, but no, some nights it was five star equivalent food. The place is kept spotlessly clean and the staff are very polite and helpful. I would definitely go there again. I loved Bahia Feliz. It's so quiet and peaceful with plenty of cafe's and restaurants and a few shops. We were taken one night to Garbo's Club to see a very good rock show. All free if you were A1.The buses are very regular and we enjoyed taking trips out to St Agustin and Maspolomas which is only about 1.30 euro. The Thomson reps were fantastic at keeping the kids entertained. "

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of September 2009