Iberostar Playa Gaviotas

Pasaje Playa N 2 Urb. Las Gaviotas, 35626 Playa de Jandia, Pajara, Fuerteventura Spain

Mini Germany

Good

"Have returned 4 days ago from the hotel and you may be interested to know that the location of the hotel is on the same sight as the iberostar palace and iberostar fuerteventura park, the latter being away from the beach, the gaviotas and palace having prime seafront location. Even though the palace is more expensive i can confirm that all rooms have a sea view at the Gaviotas albeit limited, but the palace does not offer this luxury.
( We normally rent from the big names like Europa car and Avis but on this occasion as we had booked the Hotel with Alpha rooms made the catastrophic mistake of booking through their provider Holiday Autos who are really Orlando Car. When we landed we looked for the desk and couldn't find it, and were in formed that they were 'off airport' and someone would be here to pick us up in a mini bus! When it arrived we were driven to an Industrial Estate and into what looked like an old bus depot filled with old bangers. And men working on them. To our extreme horror we were given a Renault Clio that looked like it had had a row with a brick wall and inside the area by the handbreak cigarete lighter was all smashed out! The steering wheel wasall sticky and lumpy covered in old dead skin and the interior was filled with twigs, sand and debry, the seatbelts were all sticky and vile too! We litterally drove round the block and decided to take it back, it was replaced with a Citroen which was all scratched and it had 71,000 miles on the clock! Every time we started it up it jolted us backwards and forwards, and was 'missing' most of the time but what can one expect from a car that had obviously been driven by at least 71,000 drivers! What a waste of £190.00! next time will def go with the big name car companys!)
Anyway arriving at the Hotel Gaviotas reception did not really understand alot of English and did not seem to recognise the Spanish I used but we where given our key card and went to our room, when we pealed back the curtain we were disapointed to see the view was of a flat roof and yes you could see the sea but only on the horizon of this roof, so we went back to reception and paid 280 euros extra for a suite, the suite had fantastic views of the beach, sea, lighthouse ect. There was sunloungers as well as parasols and table and chairs and sofa on our balcony. The rooms were a bit tired and the airconditioning unit looked as though it was about to fall out of the ceiling in the entrance way, but the bedroom was of a good size, so was the lounge and bathroom. There was a flat screen television in both the lounge and bedroom although as you might guess the only English speaking channels were CNN and BBC News, there was only a small handful of Spanish channels as well, but there was unlimited German channels. The room cleaning, was OK but 'could do better' I presume they only swept not mopped as your feet would be filthy within seconds of having had your shower. Our drinking water was replaced everyday, but it is only replaced if you finish everylast drop so be sure to do so! We did one day, get given Fizzy water which we can't stand so left a note to the maid expressing in Spanish that I did not like the fizzy water and would like still, and she kindly replaced them.
The breakfast was much the same as any hotel, I think everyone was on all inclusive, although the fruit juice in the machines at breakfast was vile and gloopy!. The lunch was served in a different restaurant, and the evening meal was back in the breakfast restaurant, I noted and noticed others looking that the Glasses and cuttlery that would often still be dirty after they had been through the dishwasher it was like a process of elimination to find a clean one. The food was ok, quite repetitive for my liking but if you love fish you will be in seventh heaven. There was a good variety for the children of Hake fishfingers, chips, rice, pizza, pancake rolls, burgers, Spag Bol ect. There wasn't an alful lot in the way of vegetables which was a bit annoying. But plenty of salad.
We were only 2 of 6 Brits in the whole hotel the Overwhelming majority of which were German. Which quite frankly did have it's problems as everyone, even the waiters spoke German! There was a real language barrier and no real opportunity for me to practice my spanish either. On my first night, I sat down at a table which you don't have to reserve and a German lady came up to me tirading at me in German because her and her husband wanted to sit there, I didn't move so she went off very angry.
The entertainment in the evenings was 'very entertaining' as they through humour into their west end shows but although the singing was in English the narrative was in German. After the show in the evenings everyone would go up to the upstairs bar where the disco would begin, all German music of course, it was amusing to see however that everytime a certain tune was played they all practically ran to the dance floor and went crazy!

The beach in front of the hotel was nice and big, but a tad windy so we took the 5 minute drive in our 'joke car' to Playas de Sotevento which was a massive beach with hardly anyone on it and plenty of space for keeping out of the wind and a bit of privacy, it is here where the Windsurfing championships are held.

The resort of Jandia didn't have much at all in the way of bars, but we managed to find one with live music and cocktails. There is a shopping centre a short walk from the hotel also.
Two of the entertainment team although German themselves were very friendly and spoke good English and were very welcoming. Jordie and Rene. We were glad of them being there. It is surprising how you feel when you have come on holiday to a Spanish Island and you never here a Spanish voice only German.

In conclusion we would probably not stay in that hotel again but it was nice enough, if I was German I would enjoy it. The weather ranged from 31 degrees to 23! Very nice."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of April 2010

Very good....!!!

"We booked this hotel individually (with flights, hotel, transfer all booked seperately). Got a VERY good deal. this hotel is very high standard at a very nice location on a cliff, overlooking the very nice beach. Food extremly good and alomost around the clock. Fresh fish, meat etc. grilled each day for lunch and dinner. Huge salad bar. Drinks were international brands, so you would find all sorts that you normally don't find in All inclusive packages and they are very generous.
Down side (if you are English) there are ONLY Germans. I am German myself, so it was not a problem for me, but my partner is English, so if you like to socialise in the evening, it might be a bit difficult.
Jandia is about a 35 minute walk away and maybe not really worth a trip, however it gives you something to do.
This hotel is probably situated in the best position in Jandia, directly by the beach as most other hotels are nearer the town and sometimes a bit of a walk to the beach if you prefer this to the hotel pool. However you have to climb quite a few stairs and is maybe not suited for people with walking difficulties.
Hope this review helps!"

• Travel date: Sun 28th of March 2010

Unbeatable hotel - all around

"This hotel is easy to review because everything about it is basically perfect. Its location atop a hill that overlooks an amazing beach really makes this place stand out. The all-inclusive aspect is also key since there is very little to do in the area around the hotel (or really anywhere on Fuerteventura). The staff is also very accommodating - the alcohol is self-serve for beer and wine if you want it to be and the bartenders are very generous with the mixed drinks if you ask them to be.

The rooms are nice and clean, but the beds are hard - though in line with every other hotel we stayed at during our time in the islands. The free liters of water in the room is clutch for people like us who always take advantage of the open bar at an all-inclusive resort. Our room overlooked the pool which also had the beach in the background and it was a spectacular view. But as we were walking to the beach, we saw some rooms that have balconies that overlook the beach itself and those would be nice if you can figure out how to score those.

We never ate in the reservations only restaurant but found no need to as we were always looking forward to the buffet meals since they were so delicious.

There is very little to do in the way of watersports as far as we could tell, but that adds to the ambiance of the unspoiled nature of the beach anyway, so it wasn't a big deal in my opinion.

There was however, a good amount to do around the hotel. They have spanish renditions of broadway shows nightly and also a bowling bar with a bowling alley, billiards hall and obviously a bar. The billiards and bowling are extra though - 1 euro for billiards and 3 or 4 euro for bowling

Overall, this is one of the top hotels we've been to in a while. We traveled to Tenerife, Fuerteventura and Grand Canaria on our visit and this was our favorite hotel on the trip.

A couple things to note though - the pool, while beautiful, is FREEZING. But that is par for the course throughout the Canary Islands so you can't exactly base your decision on that. Also - you definitely, definitely need to rent a car on this island if you are not part of a tour excursion. Taxis are prohibitively expensive (especially if you are from the US and the euro is already expensive) - to the point where I rented a manual shift car to drive to the National Park beaches and I have no clue how to drive a stick shift. This is the case for both Tenerife and Fuerteventura. Grand Canaria is built up more, so you can get away with using the bus system there is car rentals are too expensive (that's what we did). Oh - and when I say prohibitively expensive, I mean 70-80 euro average to get from the airport to anywhere."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of January 2010

Relaxing week's stay - wish it had been two weeks!

"On arrival at the hotel it was quite worrying to be told that they did not have a booking for us however, after some checking by reception, we were allocated a room. Unfortunately, this was not a full sea view room, as booked. Despite many requests we were only offered a room with a worst view (although you could actually see the sea between trees).

This initial start did not spoil the holiday and, indeed, all the staff were particularly helpful, polite and friendly during the remainder of our stay.

The room are adequate and kept very clean. In fact, the whole hotel is kept to a high standard. The food is excellent with a varied selection at every meal, with different choices every night. One warning, do not bother about the speciality restaurant which is open twice a week. The food is good but very "nouveaux cuisine" - i.e. there is little of it!.

Very good deal on all inclusive with food and drinks available and good quality. Drinks and fruit were also brought round the pool during the day by hotel staff. We were the only Brits staying at this hotel but everyone of all nationalities very friendly. Would definitely recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of May 2009

The Only Taffs but we had a great time

"This hotel was very very nice! The staff in particular were excellent. The maids the bar staff the receptionists the pool staff and the entertainment team were fantastic. No queues at bars, excellent food, spotlessly clean everywhere. I would love to go back tomorrow!!

We were probably the only Welsh in the hotel and I think only one other English group but the Spanish and Germans were great, good fun and very sociable. Thank you Gaviotas for a wonderful week.

Please see my video on YOUTUBE search under martinrobertjames or Hotel Playa Gaviotas.

• Travel date: Fri 27th of June 2008

Blooming Marvellous

"Just got back from a fabulous 2 weeks in the Gaviotas Park. Absolutely outstanding right from the off. Checked in and was upgraded to 2 suites next to each other (two teenage children boy / girl with us) and one of the rooms had been set up so the kids had their own rooms. After check in was given a glass of fizz (Cava), which was very very welcome, kids got fresh juice. Was provided with wifi codes for 6 gadgets - exactly what we needed before being taken to our rooms. The rooms were on the ground floor about 10 yards from the pool - so very convenient. Whilst I would have preferred to be upstairs - only due to the fact that I would have liked to open the patio whilst sleeping, I was not about to ask to move after the upgrade and the hotel arranging the room for the kids. You can sleep with windows /doors open as in the two weeks I did not see / hear one mosquito - what a bonus! Quite a lot of the reviews have said that the pools are cold - and yes, they are, but given the fact that most people have been basting their bodies in the hot sun before jumping in, the water is bound to feel cold. The showers dotted about the pool area helped a lot when getting into the pools and hey - good practice anyway to rinse the sweat away before partaking in a wee swim. Yes, primarily German staying, but we knew that before booking so was no surprise and I have to say, the second week of our stay when there was more British, was a lot less peaceful than the first. Not sure about the Gaviotas Hotel, but we never had any communication issues - all staff asked if we were German, English, Spanish and away they went chatting away. Whilst on about the staff - cannot fault them, Star Friends always about, really lovely people, very chatty but not in your face - one even managed to get me Aqua aerobic-ing - quite a few times during our stay and it was great fun. The kids 13 and 15 were a bit shy the first week, but saying that, this was their first time out of the UK so it was bound to be strange - hearing the different languages. By the end of the 2nd week they were both sorry they hadn't joined in with the star friends team from the first day. Rooms - as I said we were upgraded to 2 suites, so we had a sitting room with couch, chair, tv (not much English telly, but didn't go to watch TV anyway) table, chairs, fridge, sink (which was useful for washing smalls - lol. Big bathroom with bath and over bath shower (plenty of hot water), big bedroom with side tables, dressing table, double mirrored sliding wardrobe (was another smaller wardrobe outside bathroom) so plenty of storage. Beds - hmmm - two singles pushed together and I have to say - not wonderfully comfortable, but this is my only gripe and if I am honest, nothing compares to my own bed and pillow, which was the only thing I was looking forward to getting home to! Hubby thought it was a bonus as I am forever throwing the covers off anyway as get too hot - even in January - in Scotland!! Lol. Rooms cleaned thoroughly everyday usually before 10.30 (unless my two lazy teenages stayed in bed til lunch), bottled water left everyday whether we had used the day before or not, so had a stash in the fridge. Now if you are looking for award winning interior design, totally modern rooms, this they are not. Yes, they could do with a refurbishment, but they are exceptionally clean, cool due to the air con and ours certainly was large - had everything you needed but they are not designer rooms. Bathrooms could really do with a re-furb as they could be made marvelous due to the size of them. Food - amazing choice, always hot, loads of it - been back a week and still won't step on the scales. Breakfast was my favorite though! Catering staff do an amazing job in the temperatures. Drinks - all named brands, self service of everything in pool bar (why do some people therefore think it is OK to just walk off with a full bottle of Vodka - grrr). Cava always on ice, soft drinks, ice cream, beer, wine (red, pink and white) all on tap. Lovely touch each day was the staff coming round the pool a couple of times with cave and slushies in the morning and schnapps and ice cream in the afternoon - saved having to walk 20 yards to the bar to get it. Beach - amazing - yes it is not right outside your door, but a maximum of 4 - 5 minutes walk down the hill (the hill did seem to get steeper each day coming back up it though - probably due to all the cake and fizz being consumed). We had a couple of really really windy days (knocked the wifi out too) and I have to say, the sand was painful when it hit you, but the plus side was the amazing waves - if you can take body boards - or you can hire them in Morro Jable - sorry don't know price as we only found the shop a day before we were heading home). I've probably missed loads off this, still in a state of depression at being home - only recommendation I can give is we were home 24 hours and booked for next year. We are staying is the Playa Gaviotas Hotel next year, not the Park, but only because Hubby wants a room with a sea view (even though we have a sea view at home! Men eh!) Bonus is, you can use the facilities at both hotels. Can't wait to go back. Oh and if you go - get the bar staff to make you a lollipop cocktail! Just don't end up drinking 4 like me!

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of July 2016

The Hotel is in a superb location overlo...

Good

"The Hotel is in a superb location overlooking part of the famous 25Km beach. It is sold as a 4* property and, in the main, lives up to that classification. It is owned by the Iberostar Group and is next to another Iberostar hotel (It's worth pointing out though that you are not able to utilise your A/I status from one hotel to the other), it is a clean good looking hotel with extremely good staff and so so facilities.
The Playa Gaviotas is totally geared towards the German market so English is very much a minority language whilst you are there, in fact, we were one of only two English families in the whole hotel during our stay. That in itself was a positive feature of our holiday because unlike last years holiday at an Iberostar in the Caribbean we never felt ashamed to be British.
The rooms are adequate without being exceptional, the A/C worked very well, the beds are changed every couple of days, bath towels etc are changed at your discretion by just leaving them in the bath for changing. The rooms are very well cleaned and usually before 10.30am.
The main restaurant is comfortable, but we would recommend that you try and find space in the large conservatory like extension, as you get lots of fresh air at the same time. You help yourself to Beer, Wine soft drinks etc, the food is good, plentiful and gives you lots of choice. However, it is not exceptional in any way - it's wholesome & tasty but not especially memorable. There is a speciality restaurant which you have to book, unfortunately I assumed that the booking process was the same as in other Iberostars we have used, it is not because in the Playa Gaviotas you are allowed to book as far ahead as you wish and consequently we did not get the chance to try it as it was always booked up.
Entertainment was again OK if you'd had a few drinks and were not bothered about the entertainment staff just miming to pre-recorded music & shows. Again though, it is quite an experience to watch them mime to a German version of The Lion King!
Sunbeds - you do have to get a move on in the morning if you wish to avail yourself of a sunbed. The German towels are out from 6.45am and the management do nothing about it even though they publish a request for it not to be done! I competed quite successfully but on the days where we were unable to get a couple of beds we went on the beach for the day. It costs 9 Euros for 2 beds and an umbrella on the beach and it is recommended.
All the rooms have a sea view whether it be a 100% view or a 50% view so do not get suckered in to booking a sea view room - you will automatically have one!
I have tried to be realistic about my comments and at the end of the day I would go back to the Playa Gaviotas again. Combine the superb Fuerteventura weather with the facilities commented on and you have a pretty good holiday - I wish that I was still there!"

• Travel date: Mon 4th of August 2008

Hotels near Iberostar Playa Gaviotas

Stayed at Iberostar Playa Gaviotas? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Iberostar Playa Gaviotas

• BonnieGirl by BonnieGirl

"if taking children / teenagers, encourage them to join in right from the off - otherwise they will end up regretting "

Iberostar Playa Gaviotas is also called