Great hotel!

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"My boyfriend and I just got back from a weeks holiday here. The hotel is really lovely. A very attractive hotel with lovely outdoor areas to eat dinner and sit and have drinks.

The pool area is really big and we had no problem finding a sunlounge there at whatever time of day.

We were given a badly located room on arrival - right by a noisy main road which kept us awake (we were very unlucky to get this as I don't think many of the rooms would have this problem as the hotel is generally well set back from the road. We complained the next day and were moved as soon as a new room came available. The maid left us champagne in the room to apologise which was a nice touch and we were moved to a much nicer room which we were very happy with.

The meals were excellent. Breakfast was our favourite meal. There was masses of choice. They cooked omelettes or eggs for you while you waited and blended fruits for you.

The entertainment was pretty good - we saw Starlight Express and We Will Rock You. It primarily catered for German speaking people though and some of the songs had been dubbed in German!

Later on in the week the path to the beach from the hotel flooded which meant that we had to wade through deep water to get there! I have no idea why this happened and I have been to Jandia before and didn't have that problem then so hopefully it was just a one off!

I would highly recommend the hotel. It is very chilled out there. We went outside the school hols and there were hardly any kids there. The staff are v. friendly and it all makes for a v. relaxing holiday!"

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of October 2007

Very good stay

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"Stayed with my husband for two weeks immediately after August bank holiday. Hotel quite full but busier 2nd. week. Check-in excellent. As many pool towels as you like with a 10 Euro deposit each - returned at the end of the stay. These can also be taken to the beach. No hotel-owned loungers on the beach - 3 Euros each for loungers and parasols on beach. Safe in room but purchase key on reception - 12 Euros per week (even if on all-inclusive as we were). Lay-out of hotel rather confusing - lots of corridors and flights of stairs and not all lifts go to all floors !
Room very nice and very large. Paid extra for an ocean view and well worth it. Two single beds pushed together - a bit hard but not the worst ! Plenty of drawer and hanging space and hangers. Bathroom NOT AT ALL SMELLY. Yes, the room was a bit dated but you rarely get luxury in resort hotel rooms and it WAS immaculately clean. We have travelled extensively around the world and for a relaxing time in the sun in Europe this hotel ticked all the boxes.
Plenty of sun- loungers by the pool at any time - morning and afternoon - no need to get up early to bag a bed !!
Restaurant lovely with excellent choice and quality of food. Good drinks service in bars - but watch out as they don't use optics so HUGE measures !!
Leisurely walk into Jandia town 20 to 30 minutes along the promenade or longer on the beach as it curves out but a fabulous walk anyway. Some nice shops in Jandia - a mix of touristy stuff but some quality as well.
The walk from the hotel to the beach is quite strenuous and back up several wooden steps from either end of the hotel and definitely not suitable for anyone with mobility problems.
We were worried before going after reading some of the latest reviews and being so very picky in our choice of accommodation and felt concerned enough to consider cancelling at the last minute but are SO pleased that we didn't. We had a wonderful time and were more than satisfied with the very high standards maintained throughout the hotel. It was lovely and we didn't want to leave !!"

• Travel date: Fri 14th of September 2007

Really Good Service At the Palace

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"We went to the Iberostar Palace in August purely based on the recommendations in Trip Advisor. Initially our impressions were not brilliant - our room was not ready upon arrival but we were given free drinks in the bar whilst we waited approx 40 minutes.

Our room was a disappointment initially - dark and with an ominous presence of a few ants. Very shortly however, the ants emerged full scale from a hole in the plaster board and the shelf above our bed became infested with them. My husband spoke to management who told us that they would move us the next day. Feeling rather jaded and disappointed we left it at that. The following morning we were neatly
transferred to a sea view room on the 7th floor and we were offered a complimentary bottle of champagne. We felt suitably compensated! The next day another bottle of champagne arrived in our appartment accompanied with a beautifully folded towel in the shape of a swan and some sweets!

Having overcome these initial hitches, we really enjoyed our two holiday here. We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly and the food was superb. The previous review states that none of the food was prepared on site. Well my husband was so impressed with the food he asked the manager to show him around the huge kitchens.! All the food was prepared on site - even the bread was hand made and cooked on the premises!

The food did get a little monotonous towards the end of our stay but we felt this was inevitable when on a half-board basis. Most of the guests were German with a handful of Brits and Scandinavians. We deliberately chose this resort because we hate the prospect of being on holiday surrounded en masse with English people. We found everyone
to be very friendly and a little Spanish goes a long way.

The only reservation we had is that our teenage daughter was a little
bored due to a lack of company of her own age. However we felt this was just bad luck as most of the English children staying were younger than her at the time. She did eventually make a really good German friend however. All the animation staff were brilliant and tried really hard( despite language barriers) to include our daughter in activities.

We would not visit again because we like going to different destinations but the beach was beautiful and unspoilt."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of September 2007

I have been back a week with my 2 childr...

Reviewed Tue 11th of September 2007

"I have been back a week with my 2 children, and it is a lovely hotel.The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, but the bar staff were completely the opposite, quite rude. The rooms are clean and spacious and cleaned every day, with a little surprise like a flower, chocolate or petals around sink!

We started off self catering but found trekking into town every evening a bit of a hassle after a week as its quite a long walk. The Spar shop has a good assortment of stuff, but then you have to lug it back to the hotel, all up hill! Also the cooking facilities in the hotel room were quite poor and the sink and oven area had a funny smell. So the second week we decided to upgrade to All Inclusive (like everyone else!) which was only 58 euros a day for 1 adult and 2 children, which I thought was excellent value, and the food in the hotel is very good.

The pool area is lovely, but a bit noisy, and always being asked if you want to play Bingo or do water aerobics etc etc, and they had a cd of Billy Joel which they played non stop for 2 weeks!! The Animation team were amazing fun for the kids as they kept them entertained throughout the day. They did fabulous shows every night which the kids loved. The Lion King was the best of all of them. They were a very mad lot who never seemed to run out of energy and great with the kids!!

I wish my travel company had mentioned that not many British people went to the hotel, especially being there as a single parent. There was only a couple of other families from the UK, the majority of the guests were German (yes there were rows of sunbeds with towels on them at 8am!!) and a lot of Spanish and Italians. The children made friends though, 'play' seems to be a universal language!

I agree with the previous lady that the Submarine trip was a complete rip off- then they had the cheek to try and charge you 10 euros for a bad photo!! Oasis Park very good though, and there's a little zoo just down the road from the hotel which is quite sweet.

Don't take beach towels as you can hire them there, and change them every day.

We did have a great time and would recommend it, especially if you are German!"

• Travel date: Tue 11th of September 2007

This is not a Palace!

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"As described in earlier messages, I agree with the fact that this isn't a 4star hotel.

First of all, the rooms are clearly outdated and gave me an impression of an interior from the late eighties or early nineties.
Maybe the worst are the bathrooms. They have a dark yellowish light which is absolutely not sufficient, and last but not least is the REALLY BAD SMELL in the bathroom (not really a pleasure to be in the bathroom!).

My opinion: a 3 star - 3+hotel.

Food: not bad, but almost nothing was prepared within the restaurant.

Service: not bad - not good.

PLEASE FORGET OR SCRAP THE NAME PALACE. It's really far away from that.

Would I recommend the hotel? No, it's not horrible or that bad, but for the price you pay, you could be dissapointed, just as I!

Keep in mind that the beach (200 - 300 walk) goes under a strong angle into the sea and is ABSLOLUTELY NOT SUITED for little children.
There the wind mostly comes from N-NO, the waves can be big and you have to be very allert for not going too far into the sea.
During my short stay, I heard from 2 serious accidents.

This was my impression and my opinion. Please, feel free ...

Greetings,"

• Travel date: Fri 7th of September 2007

Excellent food and friendly staff but hotel is not a 4 star hotel

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"he Iberostar Palace Fuerteventura is an excellent hotel and would appear to be well managed but is really a good three star. May as well get the good bits over first, really enjoyed our stay and like any hotel it takes a day to get comfortable with where everything is in the establishment. Mostly German based clients and was amazed to see the TUI tour reps there 12 hours a day for the German guests. Can you imagine getting a UK rep to do that. Food covers absolutely every taste from vegetarian to carnivor and is normally excellent with a few slips here and there. Dead fly in gravy was my main gripe but then it is hard to aviod out there.

The bedrooms are basic but clean and would appear to have been recently painted, the bathrooms however are in dire need of some tender loving care. poor lighting, damaged shower controls that drop off on your feet in the bath. damaged ceiling above bath /shower and when curtain pulled over bath / shower area is very dark.

Toileteries only replaced once in the week and face cloth never replaced at all, small points I know but can be annoying.
Tiled floor is clean but very drab. The beds however are very comfortable and of good quality. The bed lined was however only changed on an adhoc basis depending if the good room service maid was on or the lazy one, but in total 3 times during the week, bath towels very low quality. 2 only UK english TV channels Sky news and CNN news but then it is a German based resort. Everything worked in the room first time.

Still enjoyed the room even with these small probs just giving you a true idea of the state of the rooms, they are not luxury.

Restaurant was big and very clean with loads of staff and in general you always had a great selection of whatever type of food you liked. The big shock is that when the hotel is busy as in August all the guests queue up for their turn in a reasonably orderly fashion with the exception of the Spanish guests who would appear to check their manners at the door and cause chaos. Go for the tables at the sides near the windows unless you love noise and hundreds of people milling about the buffet.
Food selection is superb and staff are very very friendly and speak some of most languages but best if you can speak some Spanish or German. Outside walkways within the hotel are exceptionally dark and quite difficult to negotiate in the dark.

General hotel entertainment is Carnary Isle standard but is very well presented and the outside music bar is the best of the selection. Food and drink prices are very reasonable but Full board is far too much you are better on half board as there are NO local restaurants and the hotels is a bit further out of the tourist area than it may lead you to believe. Any walks at night are unlit towards the small town area so you do stay within the hotel a lot.

Completely unsuitable for less physically fit persons as there is a VERY steep climb up from the beach. No chair access was visible in most areas of the hotel and lifts are exceptionally small.

The beach is superb and is close to the hotel as is the one main shop for the ladies 'Mango'. Nudist areas and swimsuit areas are intermixed which is a bit strange but reasonably funny. But to all the people out there please rememebr if you look like you need ironed please please please keep your clothes on and kneel down to pick up your towel. You will understand what I mean after one walk down the beach!!!

Completely child based hotel with about 40% of the guests being ankle biters but flip side is that it is quiet at night with no loud music or drunk people.

To sum it all up very enjoyable trip with excellent food but hotel is slightly tired and shows a lot of wear in the lifts and bathrooms . It would be a good three star hotel but is absolutely NOT a four star hotel as you might expect a four star to look. Not suitable for elderly non chair based persons due to the steps to and from the main road to the beach area. Finally remember under no circumstances give up the facecloth or use the toileteries as you wont get them back for a week.

Best hotel in the area is the Faro Jandia in the resort is you want a luxury hotel at the same price but does have a lot less rooms and no kids.

Hope this helps someone as this is a good site for making informed choices"

• Travel date: Sat 18th of August 2007

Fantastic Hotel

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"We stayed here by mistake as we had booked to stay in the Iberostar Park opposite, but on arrival were told we'd been 'moved' .... initial disappointment which soon disappeared. Everything about this hotel was great. The decor and furnishing all around the hotel is superb, very elegant and impeccably clean. The animation team (Wim, Kati, Franzi, Jeffrey, Freddy, Bram, Bavette, Julia & Sara)were fantastic, no end to their energy and drive. They were all so friendly and made our son's holiday. The food couldn't be faulted, so fresh and so much to choose from. My only fault with the restaurant was that there wasn't enough air-conditioning, and this was the same in the bedroom too. We did have some very hot days though ..... 32 degrees through the night at times! The pools were lovely, something for everybody. We tended to stick to the area around the children's pools, but the other 2 were better to cool off in.

Entertainment was so well done, and the Star Friends shows were just great. Highlights were Starlight Express, We Will Rock You, The Lion King, Zap-Zapping etc.

We stayed on an all-inclusive basis and thought we got excellent value for money, and the 'help yourself' pool bar drinks was a brilliant idea. I agree that bar service could have been quicker but perhaps Iberostar should consider more staff. The bar staff were good and the waiter service faultless. Always with a smile and a chat, even if their English wasn't great.

We went into Jandia a couple of times but there wasn't much going on at night. One missed opportunity was a trip to Sotavento (?) beach which we saw on our way back to the airport. This was where the windsurfing championships were taking place and the beach looked amazing.

If you're looking for a holiday which caters well for kids, this is it. Mini-club and Maxi-Club, even Teenies, were well looked after and had endless opportunities to win some medals .... and even the adults don't get left out. We felt as minority Brits we had to stand up and be counted .... all in good fun and with unexpectedly good results. Even if you don't all speak the same language, friendliness and laughter is universal as was shown at the Iberostar Palace."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of August 2007

Great Holiday (better if your German!!!)

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"Yes this is the best hotel in the area for location, staff friendly and very helpful (even though I think they need a lot more staff as service is slow at times especially in the bar areas) Great sandy beech, but not on the beech as the holiday brochure photos show. There are a few steep steps down to a cycle path then you walk over to the beach about 5 mins.

There is no water to buy in the hotel shop, so you either go to the sister hotel next door or a 5-10 min walk down past the beach under the underpass to the shopping centre across the road (which is still being developed) and you will find a Spar shop. A further 10 min walk
you will arrive in the town where there are arcades and shops, restaurants and bars and an English bar called The Boot & Ball with English TV channels. Would recommend getting a taxi down to Maro Jable beach about 10 mins drive away for 4 euros. Great for swimming with the fish, a lot quieter and water calmer. You can then walk along the beach back to the hotel if you feel upto the walk, it will take about half an hour.

On this holiday it was myself, hubby and 11 year old son in one room and the in-laws in another. Unfortunately we had the rooms facing the
road 4134 & 4136 (not too bad until you opened the patio doors!)
Probably better to pay extra for a sea view, that's if the German's haven't got them all!

We did get the impression that the German's did come first at this hotel and at times it was obvious, most of the entertainment was in German, TV mostly German channels, we had Sky News and CNN "Yippee".

My 11 year old son found this hotel very boring as the kids clubs (mini club and maxi club) were full of children who didn't speak english. Our bad luck that there wasn't many English staying at the same time as us!! I wonder why???

This is not a place for the elderly or anybody who may struggle to get around as my in-laws found out.

Food very nice but selection can get a bit boring after 2 weeks. Unfortunately we suffered with the flies in the restaurant morning and evening a bit off putting when you see them on the food, they even managed to get in the rooms at times!! Take some fly spray if you can. So 2 nights of the holiday we went to the China Garden Chinese Restaurant in the near by town. Highly recommended the food and service brilliant very friendly people.

Overall a lovely place for a quiet relaxing holiday for couples but not for the traditional British family."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of August 2007

Fantastic beach, great hotel

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Just got back to the UK after a week staying at the Iberostar Palace and sunning ourselves on Jandia beach - wish I was still there! The weather was fantastic - 30 plus degrees in the sunshine, with a lovely cooling breeze - and the beach really is one of the nicest I've been to in Europe. Golden sands and very clean.

We (my best mate and I - we're in our 30s) decided to book the Iberostar Palace after much online deliberation, and we're really glad we did. The quality and cleanliness of the hotel was superb and it was the closest hotel to the beach in the area. We paid a bit extra for a sea view room and we weren't disappointed. For reference, we were in room 1012 which was on the ground floor and looked directly onto the beach. What a fantastic view. Just remember to shut the curtains though when you're getting ready - there is a path directly in front of the balcony!!

The hotel is right on the beach, but the brochure pictures can be a bit misleading - the hotel is in a slightly elevated position, but it's only about about 20 steps or so down to the beach. It is much, much closer to the beach than its neighbouring hotels (the Barcelo Jandia Playa and the Barcelo Jandia Mar). We checked out both when we were there and were glad we chose the Iberostar. Believe me, the Jandia Mar is not for the walking fainthearted - it's a real hike up a hill to get to it and personally we thought there was a much nicer vibe at the Iberostar.

Food-wise, we went half board but you can to change to all-inclusive when you're there. However, if you do switch to all-inclusive, you have to stay on it until you leave, and it costs 19 Euros a day. We went all-inc on the last day there and saved a fortune on cocktails! I would strongly recommend lunch in the outside cafe overlooking the beach. Great view and lunch is served till 4pm. Overall I was impressed by the food in the breakfast and evening buffets. The selection was varied and the food always seemed very fresh. The restaurant serves till 9.30pm in the evening and there is an outdoor section which we ate in every night.

There are just a couple of things to be aware of when booking the Iberostar though.... After reading this site, we expected it to be German-orientated, but nowhere near as much as it was. We were two of a handful of English people there and there were some Spanish guests. German was the first language - everyone spoke to us in German (we got that blank look down to a fine art), then Spanish (luckily I speak a bit) and then English. Most of the evening entertainment we saw was in German. Personally, I wish there was a bit more of a Spanish flavour, but all the staff were very polite and helpful - I couldn't fault any of them.

If you book a trip - make sure you're outside the hotel for your coach at least 10 minutes before the departure time on the ticket. We arrived 5 mins before our alloted pick up time for a catamaran trip - and the coach was just pulling away! We had to get a cab down to the port at Morro Jable in the end, which we weren't best pleased about. To be fair our holiday rep was very helpful (First Choice) and did call the boat firm and made sure the catamaran waited for us to arrive, but it was all a bit of a mad rush which wasn't our fault.

Other more minor things, but worth noting.... If you've got long hair - bring your own hairdryer!! The one in the bathroom was pathetic and took ages to dry even a couple of strands of hair. Don't expect to watch TV - the only channel in English was Sky News. Most channels were in German and there were a couple of Spanish ones.

This hotel is definitely not for anyone who's there to meet other single people or go out clubbing it every night. I would say it had a slightly older clientele and there were alot of families. We didn't see any other singles atall. We were just there though to have a week in the sun after a stressful few months and it was perfect for that. I thought the fact that our holiday rep was based in a neighbouring hotel spoke volumes....he told us at our welcome meeting that they never had issues at the Iberostar Palace from any of their customers.

Overall we had a really good time at the Iberostar and I would definitely recommend this hotel if you're after relaxation, a low-key nightlife, a fab beach and good class of hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of July 2007

It's probably what you'd expect from a 4...

Reviewed Wed 2nd of May 2007

"It's probably what you'd expect from a 4* Iberostar hotel. It's clean and comfortable with nice swimming pools and plenty of loungers.

We went self catering in a junior suite with separate bedroom and a nice side view of the sea. Be warned that you cannot really 'self cater' in this hotel even though it has a 'kitchenette' - the kitchenette consists of something the size of a single wardrobe containing a sink and two rings over a fridge.

There is no kettle or toaster available (even if you ask for a kettle you end up with an extra teapot - lol!). Our room was quiet at night but I can't comment on those overlooking the pool area.

The beach is reached via a short walk (5mins?) lovely long stretch of hot white sand spoilt only by row upon row of loungers and umbrellas (which you pay to use).

Unfortunately the sea and currents were too rough here for our daughter to swim. The hotel is just out of Jandia/Morro Jable, up a hill on its own with another Iberostar hotel (suited us away from the hustle and bustle). You could walk into the town but the walk back up would be tiring.

We had a hired car and I really do recommend this as we wanted to see the island rather than lounge around by the hotel pool all day and a hired car is the best way to do it (although you miss the intro on the transfer bus and the rep forgets about you until you call!).

Jandia town is a long stretch of shops and restaurants (your usual seaside stuff and souvenirs). Spar at the bottom of the hill is useful and Netto further into town and up a side street.

Only one British pub in sight(boot and ball) - the tourists here are predominantly German although the restaurants do serve Spanish type food as well as a couple of Chinese places (we found Chino Town at the end of the strip very nice and friendly as was the restaurant next door to it).

Try the pedal bike rides in the evening when it's not so hot- fun! Went into the old town Morro Jable once - nice to look around but the food in the seafront restaurant was a bit hit and miss.

Staff at reception are helpful and friendly but when we were there we were only one of 3 UK families staying (all others German) and I guess this means that the second language of staff at the hotel was German, so English not as good but we got by ok (and it was better than our Spanish so no complaints!).

We did have a very minor ant problem in our room which was not dealt with and the air con was not as cool as we expected but otherwise I can't complain.

We ate there only once on arrival at the poolside restaurant where they rushed us terribly and the waiter spilled water on us with no apology.

It is quite likely that the main restaurant is fine and the food nice but after this experience, we preferred to go into town and try the many restaurants down there every evening.

Rooms as described above. They are spacious, clean and decor is fine. Beds made every day and changed a few times. Towels changed every day and nice sculptures made with them (and any clothes you leave messy on the bed!). Nice spacious balcony with table and chairs but no privacy from next door's balcony and overlooked from balconies above

Mmm tips...Use this hotel if you don't mind quite a distance from airport, being surrounded by Germans and a car journey/long walk from town.

Jandia is far nicer we thought than the overdeveloped and tacky Corralejo but if you want home from home British comforts and food and the water park then head north and stay there.

Roughly mid way between north and south, we stopped at the manmade beach in Caleta de Fuste/Costa caleta and it was really nice for kids (horseshoe beach with shallow sloping water and fish around your feet!).

Must take children to Oasis Park Zoo and camel ride- best day of our hols! Sit at the middle near the walkway for the seal show as he comes out to 'kiss' the audience along there.

Don't do the 'submarine' excursion offered by your tour operator - expensive and very little to see. It can be very hot between 11.30 and 3 in summer especially inland where there's less of a breeze.

We had a lovely holiday and would go back to Fuerteventura again but maybe to a different hotel/location but that's our choice and we could be being over fussy! - try it and make up your own minds :o)"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of May 2007

Surprisingly good time in Fuerteventura

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"This is a good hotel close to a fantastic beach. It caters mainly for German and Spanish guests so the focus is on them. The result is that you can relax and you know you are on holiday. We had not been to the Canary Islands before and were not sure what to expect. It turned out to be the best family holiday we have had. The beach is great and the hotel did everything you needed and did it well."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of March 2007

Superb holiday

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"Our whole holiday was excellent thanks to the Ibersostar Palace (and well done First Choice Holidays). The Hotel is quite ugly (at least to our eyes) and driving up the intial impression was slightly disappointing. Once inside though we found the staff and facilities to be absolutely top notch. The accomodation, service, food and amenities are all excellent. The staff are friendly, efficient (if not the quickest). The guests are mainly German (there were only 2 other UK / Irish couples there when we stayed. Only thing that would have made our stay better would have been more English TV channels, in-room kettle and a longer stay! I should mention that in Mid-Feb the resort is not yet fully up to speed and there is very little in the way of night life."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of February 2007