This was a "super family" holiday taken...

Reviewed Sat 30th of April 2005

"This was a "super family" holiday taken by myself, my husband and my 2 children 7 & 11(girl & boy), this complex is very large it has 3 different swimming pools so there is always sunbeds available no matter what time of day, however the choice of food is sparse, there are 2 restaurants on the site, which may sound good but the food is virtually all the same, expensive and with little variety, especially for the kids!! the staff in the restaurants however are great, very warm & friendly.

The grumble I had with this holiday is that "Thomson" should take into consideration that this is after all a "super family" complex, there is very little for the adults to do during the day and if, like we had, the weather is not hot and sunny enough to bathe all day us adults had absolutely zilch to do, there is a bowling alley but it doesn’t open until 7pm, so that was no help.

the entertainment rep we had at this resort was a saviour by a long way, he went out of his way (and sometimes in his own time) to keep the kids totally entertained and amused from day until night, a God send, for, if it was not for him the kids would have been as bored as us.

the cleanliness is below standard for a 4* hotel, on arrival our apartment was full of sand and the sofa which the children sleep on was disgusting, I wouldn’t let a dog sleep on that, they say the maid comes in every day but I think she only empties the bins, sheets are only changed once a week which in a hot sticky place is nowhere near often enough

The reps were good but "Thomson" failed us here I am afraid to say, they need to do a bit more homework."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of April 2005

Fantastic holiday in superb surroundings

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"We have just returned from a perfect holiday at the oasis papagayo. The oasis village is huge and superbly laid out. Lots of thought has gone in to the design and landscaping, making it feel completely underoccupied. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment which was spacious and clean, maid service was provided 3 times a week and each time clean bed linen was provided.
Both the hotel staff and Thomson reps were most obliging and our little girl thoroughly enjoyed the kids club.
We had travelled with friends and had requested adjacent apartments which we were given without any problems.
Hotel transfers were very smooth with reps on hand to sort out any problems.
All in all a fabulous easter break."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of April 2005

Superb value for a 4 star

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"Id read a couple of negative reviews of Papagayo and more positive ones. Im not sure if the persons writing the negative ones went to the same hotel as me but I thought the Papagayo was excellent. Ive stayed in the Punta Elena before and like its position in town and the size of the rooms but this is in a different class. The rooms are mainly in small blocks of 4 or are adjoined by their balconies so you don’t feel on top of other visitors. They are scattered around very well tended gardens and the whole complex is vast - if you have difficulty walking ask for a room nearer to reception and on the ground floor, ours was about as far as it could be from the entrance which was a fair walk but was made up for by the landscaping. The brochure only mentioned and showed 2 pools but there are 2 large adjacent seawater pools with a childrens pool in the centre area and a separate area at the bottom of the complex with a further freshwater pool and another childrens pool with fountains. Was initially a bit put off by the idea of seawater pools but they are clean, vast and there are showers all around the pool area to wash off the seawater. The smaller bottom pool area seemed to attract the families more which meant there were less kids around the main pool area leaving it relatively quiet, particularly surprising as this was the end of Easter week. There are loads of sunbeds available, and even if they were to run out there were another 200 of so stacked by the main pool if need be!

We had two adjacent ground floor one bed apartments at the side of the bottom pool area. Although there isnt a ‘pool view’ option to request I asked Thomsons after booking and they put in a request for me which worked!!!. They were the largest Ive stayed in in the Canaries, were very clean and bright with large bathrooms and as well as the twin bedded room the lounge had a double sofa bed, a pull out single and another chair that could sleep another (smallish) person - I make that 6 people in all! There was a microwave, kettle and toaster provided (all usually extra in many self catering apartments) and the kitchen area was pretty well equipped, enough to russle up a full meal.

We didn’t try the main restaurant or bars (although the main downstairs western style bar was vast) but we tried the pizzeria which had very good thin Italian style pizzas and the pool bar which offered lunchtime snacks (albeit the service was very Spanish……i.e. slow). Don’t use the supermarket. Their prices were up to double those in town and we found one called Rita II on the main road to the harbour at the top of the resort which was the cheapest in town (50p for a litre of wine, 38p for San Miguel).

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and what made it even better was the price. Thomson were charging over £400 for the time we were there however I only booked the accommodation with them at an excellent £100 per apartment for the week, that’s £14 per night for a room that can take a whole family (there is a link on their website for accommodation only). We then searched for the cheapest flight only across all operators and by doing this got he trip for £100 each less than Thomson were charging – hence us splashing out on a hire car. Id really recommend this accommodation only service as you can still use the services of their reps onsite and it means you don’t have to rely on the transfers from the airport, you can get a taxi or hire a car as we did."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of April 2005

Good family holiday

Good
Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We've just returned from a very good fortnight at the Oasis Papagayo. The accommodation is good with well equipped kitchenette for self catering, large bathroom with good shower over bath, decent furniture and comfortable beds, although my wife thought the mattresses on the sofa bed was a bit firm.

Good swimming pools in 2 different locations on the complex, large pool area for adults near bars and restaurant, the fairly deep kids pool and shallow paddling pool is a short walk away served by a small snack bar. Non appeared to be heated.

The kids club was excellent, our 3 year old daughter enjoyed 3 x 2 hour sessions through the hols, which gave us some time off and the staff there are really good providing lots of activities for tots and kids alike. She loved the mini-disco in the evening.

Our only gripe was the unpleasant smell from the garden sprinkler system (recycled waste water), which started early one of the evenings, but this only happened once, so we assumed this was a 'one off' incident.

Worth taking the 15 min. boat trip from Corralejo port to Los Lobos, a barren volcanic island with a gorgeous sandy beach and an interesting fishing village with small restaurant with dishes such as Paella. Arrive early and travel lightly, but take a beach umbrella if you're planning to stay for the day as there's no natural shade available. We found El Cotillo good for restaurants and particularly enjoyed eating at one on the seafront at sunset, good seafood, although we passed on the limpets!

In summary a good location for a family holiday."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of April 2005

I have just returned from Corralejo and...

Reviewed Thu 31st of March 2005

"I have just returned from Corralejo and I want to go back tomorrow. I stayed at the Oasis Papagayo and I would go back there in the blink of an eye.

The hotel complex is very large, but is very well catered for. The food provided by the hotel was dreadful, but we were self catering so that did not matter. (We tried the buffet for an evening meal one night and it was the worst food I had all week).

Very much like the last reviewer, I did not encounter more than 5 Germans at the hotel the whole week. The kids club is absolutely fantastic although they were a little short staffed, so could only take about 30 kids each day.

Apart from the food, the hotel is 10 out of 10. Five pools, 5 Bars, cheap supermarket and very friendly Thompson People.

The Rooms are huge and very clean, (Although they charge you for everything, from a Toaster to TV to an Oven) and the fact that the hotel is not near the beach is not a problem.

The hotel is a ten-minute walk from the beaches (10 Minutes with a three year old in tow, five on my own). The hotel are happy to call you cabs which turn up in minutes and cost about 2Euro to town.

The town is full of "English" bars and restraunts with frankfurters and "Chicken?" nuggets for kids, all which should be avoided. The best places to eat are around the Harbour, two places in specific being "Slow Boat 1" (NOT Slow Boat 2 on the main drag, it’s terrible" and the cafe on Waikiki Beach (Which I think is called the "Cortini") is excellent. The fresh flame grilled fish there is out of this world.

All restraunts will make food for the kids, even if they don’t advertise it. Just keep away from the places to eat on the main road in to town as they are all pretty bad (Apart from La Tasca, which was nice).

The Island on the whole is beautiful. Any holiday here on this island should start with booking the Oasis Papagayo. 10/10."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of March 2005

I've just discovered this site and thoug...

Reviewed Thu 31st of March 2005

"I've just discovered this site and thought it necessary to add a review of my own.

I spent one week at Papagayo with my family and we be thrilled to return there. The children's entertainer (Cisco) kept my brother and I active for most of the holiday with various sports, water polo, volley ball, basket ball. We met loads of new people that I still stay in touch with.

The pool is absolutely gorgeous and is hardly ever busy, giving you your own space to relax.

Its a five minute walk into town, if that. And two minutes away from the local water park.

The apartments have a wonderful view from the back and have a small patio where you can sit and eat your lunch. Meals were fantastic ranging from the proper full English breakfast we all know and love; to delicious Spanish cuisine!

There’s also a bowling alley and pub where all the big football matches can be viewed on big screen!

All in all it was an amazing place to stay and I look forward to returning again next year!

Karina

• Travel date: Thu 31st of March 2005

Nice early spring escape

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"We went to this resort with a Thomson package deal over Easter (late March). We stayed in a 1 bedroom self catering apartment, which was very spacious and nicely furnished. Unfortunately there were 2 single beds rather than a double bed. The apartment lacked a few nice touches, for example we were told not to drink tap water and it would have been nice if there was a complimentary bottle of water in the room when we arrived. Also no dish washing equipment was provided. The housekeeping was minimal - beds were made up and fresh towels provided, but no cleaning/sweeping. Despite Thomson emphasising safety and security, we were annoyed to find that the safe in the room cost 15 EUR + deposit to use.

The weather was lovely and warm, but even so, the resort pools were almost too cold for swimming (even the supposedly heated pool!) It was a little windy, but this is to be expected. The sun is very strong and it is extremely easy to get sunburnt - much more so than the Mediterranean - so wear high factor sunscreen.

The main bar was taken over by the kids disco every evening, and for us, as a young couple there was no suitable entertainment apart from the British-style pub. We were left wondering where the trendy cocktail bar went! The same goes for the centre of Corralejo - lots of British and Irish pubs, Chinese restaurants, but sadly lacking in quality Spanish style restaurants and bars. At the resort, we weren't tempted by the a la carte restaurant or the buffet; however the adjacent Italian pizzeria is excellent. The supermarket next to the resort is a little expensive but very convenient and open 7 days a week, including bank holidays.

The Thomson reps give out very little information apart from advertising their own tours, and we had to do our own research to find, for example, how to get to the Grandes Playas, which we found were only 30 mins walk or a short taxi ride from the resort."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of March 2005

Lovely Complex

Good
Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"Came back yesterday from this complex and would recommend it to everybody, every other review seems to be complaining about the weather this time of year but you can't choose that can you!
We stayed in a one bedroom apartment on a last minute allocation on arrival with thompson. the room was immaculate, we didn't have to pay for tv, everything worked and we had a lovely balcony/terrace.
we walked into town a couple of times but at night would catch one of the many taxis which costs about 2 euros (hardly a fortune).
If you are thinking of going here i think you should realise that in the summer it will be extremely busy with children, but with the water park 2 minutes down the road that should keep them busy.
we are going to book for christmas."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of March 2005

The hotel was very clean and the accommo...

Reviewed Wed 1st of December 2004

"The hotel was very clean and the accommodation was very good however everything in the complex is geared around Germans . With us being all inclusive this proved to be very disappointing all the entertainment was in German and the food was not appealing , this also included the restaurant that reminded myself of a school cookhouse from then on we ate out which proved that to go all inclusive was not a good idea.

Fortunately we don’t have children because the children of other holidaymakers found that again all children’s entertainment was in German, which was not great for children . All in all this has put us off wasting our money on going all inclusive and we wont take the word of a travel agent again who assured us that it was British orientated ."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of December 2004

I am not sure which Hotel the other revi...

Reviewed Mon 1st of November 2004

"I am not sure which Hotel the other reviewer went to, but it seems to me that it was not the Oasis Papagayo.

There is one draw back to this hotel and that is the 1.5km to the beach, which is easily overcome by taxi service that costs 2Euro to the beach in Corralejo. This beach is small and is not really used. The main beach is Flag beach which is easily accessed from Papagayo via the bus (1 Euro) or a taxi (6 Euro).

The Hotel itself is incredibly clean and the rooms are huge. There are three excellent pools and a wide variety of entertainment in the evening.

I have two girls aged 3 and 6 and they loved it. The Kids club (Which is entirely in English with English staff) is provided by Thompson and is fantastic. There were other people at the hotel who had not booked through Thompson and they did not have a kids club at all and were not invited to join Thompson’s.

The staff are excellent, the new restraints and shops right next door are first class.

The food in the hotel looked a bit gammy, but the Self Serve Breakfast is excellent and only 5Euro. The building work around the hotel is not a problem at all. The people who talk of dust, have you ever been to this Island before, the whole place is covered in dust.

Holiday was top rate, Papagayo made stay fantastic. (Don’t bother hiring a telly, costs about £20 a week and is only news and information)."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of November 2004