We were Burgled!!

Mrs Tilson

14th March 2011
Dear Sirs
Ref:- H493851C

I have recently returned from a very traumatic holiday in Corralejo fuerteventura staying at the Dunas Alisios Apartment Hotel. The holiday was booked through Thomas Cook in Nuneaton. We arrived on 26th of February 2011 at 7.15pm and returned home on 12th of March 2011.

We are 5 female pensioners just wanting a very relaxing holiday in the sun. We were allocated 3 ground floor apartments next to each other numbers 25, 26 and 27, on the outer perimeter of the complex on the road side.

On our very first night we were burgled. Between 4am and 5. 45am. The Burglar entered our apartment through the locked patio doors, whilst we were asleep. Olive who I was sharing a room with was awakened by his torch shinning in the bedroom, she screamed out at him and he ran off. He had been in our bed room and taken my hand bag from right next to my pillow. He had also rummaged through my suitcase which was at the bottom of my bed. He grabbed Olives large bag also and took all his collection out of the apartment with him. We were terrified. I thought he had also taken my passport but I remembered that I had left it at reception earlier. I got dressed quickly and we went round to reception, but could not find anybody there at the time and it was in darkness and all locked up. We tried to ring the emergency number but no good. I ran around the complex and down the street but did not see anything. Later my bag was found outside the next apartment with some of the contents scattered around and the money missing.
My friend in the next apartment at number 27 did see him hanging around so she could recognise him. There were marks on her door where he had tried to break in. Also my friend at number 25 had her door handle broken. There were several other breakins on the complex on the same night a lot of jewellery and money and phones and ipods were also taken.

In the morning at 8am when the staff arrived we went straight to tell them. We had to pay for a taxi to go to the outskirts of the town to the police station, to make our statements. We also had to pay 30 euros each to have an interpreter at the police station. We were there for about 6 hours with no food and drink and we were getting very cold and frightened. We were kept waiting in the corridor for hours. We were told that we would have to go to court in the morning on 28th of March, to give evidence as they had caught one of the burglars red handed with some of his hall still on him. We then had to pay for a taxi back to the hotel.
I went back to the reception to complain about how easily the burglar had entered our apartments and got into our bedroom whilst we were asleep. The girl on the reception called the maintenance man up on the phone, when he arrived a few minuets later he had a large metal pole and a piece of wood with him, he didn’t speak English but he made me know that he wanted me to follow him back to my apartment. He went into the room and showed me how to wedge the metal pole and the piece of wood on the floor against one side of the glass patio door, so that the door could not be opened from outside or inside even if it was unlocked. No time was wasted I was amazed at the fact that he very calmly knew of the breakins and knew exactly what to do and had the equipment to hand.

We were told by the police that there had been many breakins and always on a Wednesday and a Saturday evening when there were new arrivals, because they had plenty of cash with them.

On the next day the police arrived at the hotel looking for us, they took photos of the door that had been forced open and the draws inside our room that had been opened and riffled. The police showed me that all the burglars had needed to do to get in was to insert a knife into the very loose big gap between the door and the frame and flick the metal cock catch up and walk in. They said the doors were very dangerous and unsafe.

We were watching a show at the hotel the next evening when the police sent for us to go urgently back up to the police station again. We missed the show and we had to pay for a taxi to take us back up to the police station again, it was late at night and we were cold and tired. One of our party was shown an Identity photo of the burglar that the police had caught and she had to identify him and sign to say it was him. It was getting late at night and it was very cold we were told that we would have to go at 9am to the Capitol city in the morning to give evidence in court, we were told in no uncertain terms that we would be handcuffed and not allowed to leave the Island to go back to England if we did not turn up in court. The Capitol was about and hours drive away from our hotel. We then had to pay for a taxi to take us back to the hotel.

On the nest day the police came back looking for us, we were called to reception when they handed us some paperwork in Spanish, again we had no idea what it was.

We were given 3 different dates for the court appearance so we had no idea what was going on. We had to sign countless statements and it was all written in Spanish so we had no idea what we were signing.

We were traumatised by the breakins, and the theft and the treatment by the police also we were kept up at the police station for well over 8 hours. We were treated like criminals and very very scared. The police came to the hotel looking for us and every one was looking it was awful, and we were all very embarised. We feel very strongly that the Hotel knew that breakins were happening on a regular basis, but said nothing to anyone. The rep was only a young girl and no idea what to do. We got in touch with the Thomas Cook rep in the resort and she said we would have to go to court. She told me it was nothing to do with her or Thomas Cook.

This whole incident has left us completely traumatised, and ruined our first week completely and left us very nervous for the second week. We not only had our money stolen but had to pay out for countless taxies and also the interpreter. I also feel very strongly that the Dunas Alisios Hotel knew that there had been many breakins well before we arrived there.

Yours very upset and traumatised

Mrs Tilson"

• Travel date: Sat 19th of March 2011

Nice and relaxing

Reviewed Wed 9th of March 2011

"We have just come back from here. Clean and basic. Good for a cheap holiday -(we booked late). The rep meeting was the best meeting that we have been to-lots of info from different people. While we were there 3 apartments were broken into- so get a safe and always lock your room -even when you are in it. We went on the jeep safarie and had a great time, Andy and the team made us laugh the whole time. We also went on the ferry to Lanzarote and went on the submarine which was brillant. The complex is manly for family's and as we went as a couple found them noisy however a great base to meet people. We went on lots of walks along the sea . We were recommended a small restaurant called 'La Charma' - if you go to McCarthys bar keep walking up to the top of the road it is on the left. No one out side to bully you in to eat-( it's where all the locals eat- and very spanish!!) We have been to Corralejo befour so we knew what to expect - and that is a very friendly place. Take plenty of sun cream - we had temp of between 32 & 36 . Would we go to the same apartments again - no only because it was mainly for young family's but a very good base and near to all the local ameneties. However we did meet some nice people who we hope to keep in touch with."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of March 2011

Nice Place

Reviewed Thu 10th of February 2011

"I stayed here for 3 nights In Jan 2011 and really enjoyed myself. The location of the apartments is ideal for everyone. The beach is a short stroll from the hotel, maybe only 5 mins. The town is also only a 5 min walk around the corner. The map makes it look miles away - but it really isnt.

Super Markets are EVERYWHERE so no worries about picking up those little items you left at home. Most of the local supermarkets are Dino Express's and offer good value. They also have a fresh bakery instore.

The accommodation is of a good standard. I had an apartment that could sleep 3 - with plenty of space. Full Kitchen (even tho I was all inclusive). nice enough bathroom with a powerful shower.

The hotel grounds were kept very clean and tidy.

Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. All speak English very well.

There is WIFI access in the hotel enterance and also 3 PC's to access the internet (1 euro for 10 mins).

Food - I thought the food was pretty good. A nice choice of fish, red meat, pasta, spuds and veg. And theres always pizza.

All inclusive - The meal times are something along the lines of: Breakfast 7-10, Lunch 12-3 Dinner 6-8/9. Theres also a snack room if you’re feeling peckish in-between times.

The Bar also sells freash pizza for 5 Euro's in the evening if you want one. They are better quality then the ones served in the hotel restaurant and they are pretty big! Although you still have to pay 5 Euro even if you go "All Inclusive". But they are well worth it!

Local bars - There’s a fair number of bars along the main street (5 mins away). Most have live music. Beer Price is about 3.50 (euro's) a pint which I thought was a bit high for out of season.

Days out - You can go and play on the Dunes if you want a a nice tan or take a bus to other towns. The buses are around the corner from the hotel and fairly cheap.
You can also go on the Dune buggy days out - think they where about 50 euro? Also you can go to El Cotillo for the day.

Yep - I would go back again for a nice little break.
Not an ideal location for a stag do though.

• Travel date: Tue 8th of February 2011

Great value for money!!!!!

Reviewed Thu 27th of January 2011

"I think these reviews really helped me when choosing a hotel etc so ive decided to write one myself after only getting home last night from Fuerteventura.

After reading some not so great reviews on here i was ready for the hotel to be unclean and the food horrible, but it wasnt like that at all.

To give you an idea myself (26) mom (43) sister (22) and niece (7months) went on this holiday as just a last minute get away to get some sun.

The accomodation is more like apartments, or room had a living room and a seperate bedroom with 2 beds. A bathroom with a bath and shower. we went ALL INCLUSIVE but we still had cooking facilities, a hob, microwave, and fridge. The room was tidy and clean and the furniture also clean and unmarked.The beds are a bit hard and the pillows are definitly not nice to sleep on, but they are suitable.

The STAFF couldnt be any friendlier they have a great team there, and they all speak very good english. They were very helpful when we had to take my niece to hospital as she was ill, and they also asked after her the following days.

There are 2 pool areas the one nearest reception being the most used. the only thing i can say that was wrong with the pool wasd there were a few tiles missing from one step and a few at the bottom of the pool.

THE FOOD we were all inclusive, every morning there was a choice of full english breakfast (which was very nice) cereals, and all continental foods.
Lunch would always be different things, there were always chips, pizza and a choice of fish, salads, breads, meats and cheese and desserts, then there wouldbe a variety of other meat dishes and pasta.
Dinner would be quite like lunch with different dishes being served and also a sunday roast on the sunday!! There was always a good choice of foods.
SNACKS were served in between the main meals, so the snack bar would open everytime the main room was closed. the strange thing about this was the snacks consisted of burgers hot dogs chips and cheese and meats and also icecream....there were never and crispas chocolate etc.

Just outside the hotel was a supermarket and pharmacy, the beach was a 5minute walk from the hotel.

Overall i think this hotel was great, i would definitly go again and recommend it to anyone. "

• Travel date: Thu 27th of January 2011

Brilliant Holiday!!!

Reviewed Tue 6th of July 2010

"Just got back after a weeks holiday in Dunas Alisios Playa apartments and had a fantastic time. Apartments are clean but abit "tired" and could do with some updating, especially the doors and windows as it took 2 of us to open an close the balcony doors but not really a hardship all things considered. A very friendly place, went all inclusive and had some great food and plenty of drinks to choose from and good measures of drinks!! The AI cocktail of the day was a good idea and was much appreciated!! Would recommend it to anyone, don't believe all you read and hear - you get what you pay for and if you want a 5* then pay 5* prices but we had a great time, met great people and had the best holiday!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 4th of July 2010

Missing it already

Reviewed Tue 20th of April 2010

"I found my stay at Dunas Alisios Playa, Corralejo very nice. The apparements were clean and welcoming. The area its self is lovely with nice walks to the beach and great resturants. The people are very friendly aswell, accept from the people in the super markets I found them very un friendly. But the accomatation its self I would highly recommend and the food was for everyone."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of April 2010

fantastic place and location

Reviewed Tue 9th of November 2010

"we had heard very mixed reviews but about these apartments but were really pleased with the location and the apartments themselves. they were clean and looked newly refurbished with a fully equipped kitchen etc. we couldnt fault it. the hotel was literally 5 minutes walk to the beach and main resort.
the staff were all very helful and really friendly could not ask for more really.

we visited some fantastic places and would recommend a visit to chablis bar on the main street and galera beach bar which is situated just on the main beach of correlejo.

would also recommend a visit to the oasis park which is well worth the money.

would definately visit this resort again.

the only issues we had were coming back with the tour operators. the bus arrived 20 minutes later tha should have. when we arrived at the airport we were told that they had a multi checkin system by where all other flights could check into the same checkin desk. this may not have been an issue had we been picked up on time, but this gave us a total of half an hour check in which seemed impossible with over 300 people in the queues!! well when we eventually got half way down the queue we heard the final boarding call for our flight then to be ushered to the front by a thonpson rep much to the annoyance of other passengers who had waited in the queue for over an hour and a half. we were then quickly checked in withno security questions whatsoever and seated in 2 different parts of the plane.

this may not have been an issue but on arriving back in the uk myself and 8 other passegers were told that our luggage had not made it to the plane in time!! they knew this when we had boarded. so ended up with families gifts etc being left in a foreign counrty and no chance of getting them back until 48 hours later!! this definatly did not put the tour operators in a good light. my advice do not book with thomsons!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 17th of March 2010

The good the bad and the ugly

Reviewed Mon 11th of January 2010

"We stayed for 1 week 23 dec 2009. We originally booked Los Alisios, but this and Dunas Caleta are now 'one' resort albeit with a bit of a long walk from the entrance if your staying at LA (Los Alisios). We had to change room after the first day as our door which was badly in need of paint swelled up from the rain and humidity and got jammed. Our second room was near the main pool of Dunas Caleta and we thought was nicer.

Good: Location of course. Close to town beach. The staff are very friendly and helpful esp on reception. The apartments are quite well equipped inc microwave, kettle, toaster, sandwich maker & fan for the bedroom. There was even washing up liquid provided. You would need to hire a hairdryer if you havent brought your own (7e) TV is flat screen and weekly hire rather than slot. A few sky channels so worth having if weather is poor or you have kids. DVD players can be hired for 7e. Safety box is essential. You can 'upgrade' to All inclusive for 210e pp pwk if you must but its so close to the centre why bother? We didnt eat there so cant comment on food. It was catering for British so typical chicken and chips fare.
Outside there are tennis courts a kids paly area and I think the main pool was heated as well.
Seemed to be plenty of sun loungers though most looked liked theyd seen better days.

Bad: The walk from the reception to some areas esp LA rooms. You have to go either downsteps or down the ramp, and then annoyingly back up another ramp to get to rooms. Theres no other way in or out. The beds were very damp(due to humidity) Weve stayed in fuerte at this time of year before and not had this.

Ugly: sorry but the main reception / bar area arent that attractive, we just walked through it mostly. Didnt want to linger. Most of the light fittings were going rusty due to the damp. The kitchens in both rooms looked a bit knackered. We had to defrost the fridge in the 2nd room.

All in all it was ok. wouldnt stay here again though. There are plenty of others to choose from so we'll keep looking.
Corralejo is a pleasant resort. A few too many pizzas places and no Spanish eateries to speak of in town. Avoid eating on the strip. Lots of good live music bars, and the beaches are wonderful. Not too mention the scenery if you hire a car and get out and a about. "

• Travel date: Mon 11th of January 2010

Excellent faultless

Reviewed Wed 5th of August 2009

"We have just returned from 11 nights bed and breakfast as the Dunas Alisios Apartments. I have never been to Fuerteventura before and i can say after staying here i would certainly go back. I went with my husband and 2 teenage boys who loved every minute of it.

The activities that were provided by Gary were outstanding the patience that man has !!!!!!

The bar staff and Retaurant staff were outstanding nothing was too much trouble. I found this much easier as people spoke English and even the Spanish speakers were easy to understand which is an added bonus.

The rooms were cleaned daily plenty of fresh towels and bedding. I found the whole atmosphere of the place friendly and warm. The beach we visited Wikiki was amazing small enough to keep an eye on the kids. Plenty of sunbeds to rent for only 3Euros.

I loved Tony Romas restaurant we all did in fact cant say that any restaurant was bad all food was off a high standard.

The water park was very good with plenty to do and value for money i came home with Euros this time.

Definitaley recommend this to all age groups. Will be returning:)"

• Travel date: Tue 4th of August 2009

Faultless

Reviewed Fri 19th of June 2009

"My wife, little 15 month old girl and I stayed in March 2009 for a week. We believe that it is only fir to review this sort of place in context of the price paid(£198); it was faultless. The room was spotless, the kitchen well appointed and the staff very helpful. We will return!"

• Travel date: Fri 19th of June 2009

Wouldn't go anywhere else!

Reviewed Sat 28th of March 2009

"We are a family of 5. Our children are 8, 5 and 4. We have been coming to the Los Alisios for the last 7 years and we would never go anywhere else. Fuerteventura is a beautiful island with year roung sun, we have been at all times of year and although it got cold at night in January it was lovely in the day and we all came back with a tan.
This is the first time we did all inclusive and we were please with our choice. As the euro wasn't value for money this year it was well worth the all inclusive deal.
The entertainment suits us as there is a mini disco which our kids love and Garry the entertainer makes you feel welcome and at home.
The apartments are basic however they are all a young family needs.
It's very clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The pool areas are spacious and there are always enough sunbeds. Los Alisios is central to all your amenities.
If you are a young family then you will love it here. However both sets of our parents who are in their 50s and 60s have also been with us and have also said how much they enjoy it."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of March 2009

We loved Dunas Alisios!!!

Reviewed Mon 23rd of March 2009

"My partner and I stayed at the Dunas Alisios and we thought it was absolutely great. For a start the price was a bargain at £294 for 7 nights, inc transfers and flight meals. We also had record high temperatures for that time of year, averaging 25 every day!

We had a nice quiet room, basic but at that price we weren’t expecting the Ritz. It was very clean, the kitchen area was functional and of the usual standard. There are some half decent TV channels – ITV and BBC World Service to name but a few as well as lots of sports channels (much to my partner’s delight). The rooms were cleaned daily and we had fresh towels almost every day and the bedding was changed during the 7 nights we were there.

The pool and the pool areas were also very clean (all three of them). However, what made these apartments really stand out for us was the main bar area. The staff are very friendly, cheerful and helpful. The food is tasty and very reasonably priced. They also had a happy hour between 5-6 on all local drinks. Guests can upgrade to Half Board (€70 each per week) or All Inclusive (€150 each per week) if they wish. This is a great offer for people who are on a bit of a budget - I noticed a lot of the guests had gone for this option. They also showed lots of English football which naturally pleased the majority of the male guests. There are plenty of sun loungers and space round the pool but if you want shade you’ll have to go down to the bar area for a nice cool beer for an hour as there are no parasols whatsoever.

Correlejo itself is a great resort (my second time, my partner’s fifth) with lots of good restaurants and bars. We never had one bad meal (honestly) although we did notice that this year was quiet in comparison to previous years.

So here are some of our favourite places to eat/drink: La Mamma – great food, a little bit of sophistication and great wine. La Tasca – not quite so posh but still really nice. La Blanca “Very Cocktail Bar” is quite chic and the cocktails delicious (I loved their Long Island Iced Tea), The Heineken Bar run by John, Flicks – you have to go to Flicks for some lively late evening entertainment – the guys are great - very friendly. Go to El Pescadora by the beach for breakfast, the Chablis bar for a quiet drink, The Venue to meet Jules and his dogs and the restaurants down in the old main square where they have lots of live entertainment to name but a few. Make sure you check out the restaurants and bars up by the Brisamar – they’re all good. It looks deserted but it’s just the front shop that’s closed down which is a bit off putting.

We don’t recommend the airport transfers! We arrived at the airport at 1.35pm but we didn’t actually get to our hotel until about 3.30pm and its only 40 minutes away! It seemed to take forever for the coach to drop everyone off. Also, we were picked up so late from the hotel on the way back that we were the last people to check onto the plane and couldn’t even get seats together! We’ll pay the extra and get a taxi instead next time – but that was down to Thomas Cook. Other than that everything else was excellent!

Enjoy!

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of March 2009

Hotels near LABRANDA Corralejo Village

Stayed at LABRANDA Corralejo Village? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for LABRANDA Corralejo Village

• yivi a by yivi a

"A good 4 star hotel. Overall, price / performance is really optimal. "

• baylie by baylie

"loved it so much we have started coming back every year! "

• baylie by baylie

"cant miss all the fab clubs and pubs and the beautifull sunset! "

• Sharps58 by Sharps58

"Our morning stroll along the path along the beach "

• cez by cez

"Tony Romas/ Water Park "

• fuertesun by fuertesun

"Visit imagine music bar its the best "

• Ali by Ali

"I would stay here again. "

• A Lynn by A Lynn

"Go and have a good time, relax and enjoy! "

• rachael84 by rachael84

"Great value for money "

• tammycat by tammycat

"Ideal for young families "

LABRANDA Corralejo Village is also called