Hotel Hesperia Bristol Playa

Urbanizacion Lago de Bristol, 1 Paseo Bristol, 35660 Corralejo, La Oliva, Fuerteventura Spain

Good

Lovely complex, great for kids

"We have just rerturned from 2 weeks at the Bristol Playa and we had a wonderful time and our 4 year old daughter loved it. I have to agree the staff are very helpful and the apartments were cleaned 5 days a week. These apartments are owned by the Hesperia group of hotels which are all 5 star, and I could see that they have put a lot of money making sure this complex is well run
Although the aparment was smaller than expected it was adequte and we had a view over the pool which was lovely.
The apartment run kiddies club was a life saver 6 days a week 2 hrs in the morning, 1 in the afternoon and a mini disco. The kidsworld mini club run by Sunworld would not take our daughter as she won't be five until July but I was just as happy as Renee in the apartment club was far better with kids.
We were not out late at night so I can not comment on the safety issue, we found if we walked down the streets to the old town it was a lot quicker than using the 'sea route'.
On supermarkets there is a euro spar 5 mins walk away and the hiper dino as mentioned earlier is also close by.
The only quip I have about the apartments is there were no sun umbrellas, so I got up early each moring to try grab a lounger under a palm tree. The breeze by the pool was lovely and we were able to open windows at night without any mosquitos eating us alive.
On Coralejo it has got a lot busier than it was 2 years ago at this time of year, so needless to say it has lost some of its charm.
Over all we had a lovley time and would recommed the Bristol Playa."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of June 2006

lovely people, lovely place - pity about the general area

"I had read the reviews about the Bristol Playa Apartments before I left and I more or less knew what to expect. Here are some of our observations:

1. The staff was even friendlier than expected! Reception, cleaning, pool, bar, all populated by genuinely nice people - one small quibble: a coachload of us arrived and there was only one person on duty at reception - it took quite a long time to get checked in.

2. The apartment was clean and adequate. The kitchen equipment was good, including toaster, coffee maker and kettle. However, the bathroom did not have an extractor-fan.....and the towels we were given, while adequate, were a bit thread-bare. There is no air-conditioning, which was ok for our stay because the temperature was perfect, but might be of concern to anyone visiting in August. Also, beware of mosquitos!!!
The apartments were cleaned 4 times during our 7 night stay --that was ok with us, but might not be enough for more fussy types - having said that, I am sure they would come and clean more often, if you requested it.

3. We had a glorious view from our balcony (room 260) --overlooking Bristol Playa ( a rocky beach). We could watch the ferries and boats going out to sea and we had a partial view of the island of Lanzarote. This side of the apartments is north -west facing, which suited us. The cool breeze in the afternoons and evenings was heavenly and the sunsets were spectacular.

4. There was virtually no noise from neighbouring apartments --the occasional child crying was all we heard. Our travel agent had alerted us to the fact that there was some building work going in an adjacent apartment block (not connected to Bristol Playa). I am not sure if that interfered with guests who were accommodated at the front of the Bristol Playa apartments, but we heard nothing and were happy with where we were put.

5. We did not have kids, so we did not need the kids club. I believe it was great fun.We did not want to be entertained in the evenings, but I believe that was great fun too! We did not have breakfast (at €7 per person) in the dining room and cannot comment on that. The pool bar is lovely and serves snacks all day. It is a cool and shady place to relax.
The pools were very well looked after, as were the surrounding gardens.

6. I only have one negative comment and it has nothing to do with the Bristol Playa apartments --it concerns the area in which the hotel is situated: one side of the hotel faces on to the beach and a Paseo Maritimo (a kind of beach-front walk-way). This leads to the old town of Corralejo and the harbour. We walked into town that way one evening and were a little concerned about the safety of that walk: it is quite isolated, with nowhere to run to if things should happen.....and we saw some "activity" that worried us: a young woman getting into the back of a van while an older man watched up and down the road; cars "cruising" all night; young men sitting in very expensive cars and their windows down, waiting for someone or something.....
we are seasoned travellers, but we felt very uneasy about the area.
It's nothing the hotel can do anything about, but we wondered why there was absolutely NO police presence at any time during our stay. I would not recommend walking down there as a woman on her own, or even a small group of women by themselves.

One final tip: if you intend spending money on supermarket goods, go to Hiperdino --it's a short walk from the apartments --just ask anyone. Don't use the hotel supermarket or the one across the road unless you enjoy spending a lot of money!"

• Travel date: Mon 5th of June 2006

Great Base

Good

"My husband & i have jst returned from a weeks break at Bristol Playa Apartments. Our apartment was in the G block with balcony looking out over the sea. It was clean, spacious and had all the amenties you needed in a kitchen. They were cleaned five times i think and towels changed & bedding. The pool bar did open at funny times, not much atmosphere but its what you make. never had breakfast at the hotel we went out as we found it cheaper, but other day food was reasonable.
It was a weeks holiday for chillin and this place is ideal. It is about a five minute walk to the harbour or main stretch, very safe to walk around i have read where some people didn't find it safe, but we felt ok. Not the liveliest resorts but that insn't what we were looking for, lovely restaurants in the old square or music square and by the harbour, so above all we had a great time. Nice wine, food and people, would recommend the apartment and place."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of May 2006

Curate's egg.

"One week stay at end of April 2006. The good points - great pool area although this may get rather cramped when the hotel is full. Excellent water quality, well designed safe pools including shallow pool for children. No shade. Poolside bar open at irregular hours, advertised breakfast at less than hotel but not usually open until about midday and closed again about six pm. Bad points, very basic rooms considering this is not a cheap hotel and not particularly well equipped. Plenty of hot water. Our room in Block H (268) had a balcony with great sea views but appalling smells from the hotel sewage plant so we could not use. Very windy most of the time. Location well out of the main part of the town and badly made up and poorly lit pavements with lots of unexpected obstructions. Did not feel very safe returning to hotel after dark. No food in hotel except bar snacks, when open, and breakfast (7 euros) which was not good value compared to local restaurants at 3 or 4 euros. Hotel staff rather surly. Round the island trip was excellent mainly due to great guide (Roger), but overall Fuertaventura has a lot less to offer than Lanzarote. Would we return ? Possibly to Fuertaventura but certainly not to the Bristol Playa. There's lots better at lower cost."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of April 2006

bristol playa overview

Good

"the hotel room was clean and comfortable and the maid service was very friendly, the reception staff were also friendly and polite, the grounds in the complex were brilliant and great for kids to, no youths mouthing off at night perfect for families. the only downsider was the entertainment at night, a live act nearly every night but the not exactly the best singers around. 4 ****"

• Travel date: Wed 19th of April 2006

Clean, Friendly staff, Entertainment good.

"We stayed in the Hisperia Bristol Playa Feb - Mar 2006. A pleasent stay, rooms were equiped with microwave,fridge,cooker,TV, cookware etc. The only thing my wife never took (apart from the kitchen sink)was a hairdrier, the one thing thats missing. The Avenado Restaurant just along the road is fantastic value for money.
One thing to watch was the Sharks who are doing so called holiday surveys and offer you a scratch card - you are going to win the JACKPOT - Honest
It's RCI Timeshare Holiday Scam and your not going to get anything - not even a tee-shirt. Unless your stupid enough to sign on the dotted line - which will cost you thousands.
We wasted a good afternoon to see who who tell the best lies them or us - They WON..."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of March 2006

A nice clean basic hotel

"Futher to some of the other reviews written on this site, my family and I have stayed at the Bristol Playa twice (Jan&Dec 05), and have found it to be a nice hotel. It is not located in the centre of Corralejo, but is a 10 minute walk through the back streets to the resort centre. We have not found this a problem. Not really sure why other reviewers have found this walk to be intimidating. It's just through a normal town. It's actually a chance to see the real Spanish lives going on.

The hotel is nice and clean."

• Travel date: Sat 11th of February 2006

ok in the summer, not for the winter

"we have been to fuerteventura for the fourth time and always enjoyed it, we have been in the summer and as late as january twice but unfortunatley we were very disapointed this time. Talking to the locals the climate for the last couple of years during there winter months have become very unpridictable,we found that the accommodation was very cold at nights and getting into cotton sheets everything felt damp,we had a brilliant sea view but unfortunatley our room for some reason was infested with tiny flies and ants, and one morning after a heavy down pour we had a pool of water in our room. friends of ours who stayed with us at the same hotel had no problems i think we were just unlucky with that one room, the staff offerd us another room but it was too small for the three of us and there was no outlook only on to a derelict building off a side road, but very clean and felt warmer

i think if the weather had been better, and we were able to open the patio door and there was insecteside plugins the room would of been excellent, the hotel was loveley and the pool was fab but being on the north on the outskirts of corralejo during the winter months this was not the ideal accommodation, we did feel that when we were in corralejo town the temperature was a lot warmer, we all felt that we were just unlucky with the weather, and our apartment, we should of asked to be moved in the early part of our holiday but didnt do anything until one of our room mates was very swollen on her face from mosquito bite and it wasnt worth repacking for the last two nights, but the staff were very helpful and it was just one of those things, anyway we still love fuerteventura and will return again in the warmer months"

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of February 2006

Superb Hotel !!!!

"Hi, We stayed here in October 2005 for 1 week and it has to be one of our favourite hotels, we are going back in 2006.There is so much to do here and great places to eat,even the hotels breakfast display is fantastic, its gets 10/10 from my family."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of January 2006

Fantastic Hotel

"Myself and my fiancee returned yesterday from our fantastic holiday. We were deeply sad to leave! We had a cracking time. The Bristol Playa is a excellant hotel and well worth its 3 star rating. The rooms are exeptionally clean and well maintained and insect free!!! All the kitchen facilities you need are provided and have been well maintained and are clean. Maid service is oustanding,and the maids go out of their way for you. The reception staff and area are very welcoming and answer any queries you have and deal with any issues you have! (we didn't have any) The bar/pool bar staff are really friendly and polite and go out of their way to make you feel special and take good care of you! The pool itself is a salt water pool and rather cold but on hot days its refreshing!! The pool area is clean and well maintained. However a warning, the weather in January is definatly cooler than other times of the year, its sunny but often cloudy. However we didn't get any rain!! It was the rest and relaxation we needed!!!We'd definatly give this hotel 10/10. It was superb we are already booking for November!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 26th of January 2006

Being here single

"Got here yesterday, the picture in brochure and on the website rooms looked lovely hence I spent £200 pounds more because it look lovely plus over looking the marina.
I get here my room is tatty not looking anything like the brochure or website. And they have shoved me in a corner. View of back end of bar plus if I sit in corner of terrace I have end view of pool and no sun hits the terrace .
Plus the marina is no way near the hotel just wind turbine speed out the front of hotel
I have 2 weeks to go hence will not be coming again. "

• Travel date: Sun 13th of March 2016

Be aware with your credit card!

"We were there one week (11/10-18/10 2011) and like that the place was good although our apartment was next to the main road to the harbour and the trucks were starting very early at mornings.

We were eating the evening buffet once. When we were paying with credit card the señor said that there was some problem in connection and asked me to re-type the pin code. He said that the first one was not ongoing but if so, they will correct the payment. It took over the week before I can see the payments and so I saw that the both were on my invoice.
The payment was done 14/10, I wrote the email for hotel 23/10 and they haven't answered anything for me yet (25/11). 31/10 I wrote also for our travel agency and they promised immediately ask what has happened. No answer yet (25/11).

I hope they don't make this for everyone."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of November 2011

Hotels near Hotel Hesperia Bristol Playa

Stayed at Hotel Hesperia Bristol Playa? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Hotel Hesperia Bristol Playa

• kestrel by kestrel

"Corralejo is very quaint and bustling but prefer the south of the island as less windy. "

• Sandyscot by Sandyscot

"Restaurants weren't up to usual standard but had nice meal in Waikiki and Steak House "

• Horley by Horley

"Lots of nice restaurants, bars and people. "

• Horley by Horley

"Steakhouse Grill on the old harbour front, Hong Kong Chinese Restaurant and the Avenida. "

• carmody123 by carmody123

"only bad reports to tell them "

• natasha kyah~ndey by natasha kyah~ndey

"nice country shame about some of the things that went on in the hotel "

• lady in red by lady in red

"only to say not to stay at these apartments. "

Hotel Hesperia Bristol Playa is also called