We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real

Avenida Grandes Playas N 103, 35660 Corralejo, La Oliva, Fuerteventura Spain

Good

Noisy place with lots of building work currently

Good

"The hotel is 5 star deluxe and I could not fault the hotel. I have just come back from a 7 night stay at the kempinski. The staff were always very happy to help. The room was delightful with a beautiful view of the ocean, it was big in size with a lovely bathroom and all that you would expect from a 5 star hotel. What was a real shame for me was that no one warned me that there are currently building works directly opposite the hotel and I am surprised that no other reviewer has mentioned this as the daily 7 hour noise by the swimming pool was a real downer to my holiday, after all peace and tranquility is what a holiday should be about. I booked my holiday on the internet with thomson and a very good rate was to be had but there is no mention on the kempinski or thomson web site about the current noise of drilling and cranes whilst they build a shopping centre across the road and it is no where near complete. The location is rather strange as well and I agree with other readers that corralejo is a tacky town with 'english pubs' showing big brother and little in the way of decent restaurants. We hired a car and went on some drives around the island which was pleasant particularly around the sand dunes which are close to the hotel and down in the south where the nicest beaches on the whole of fuerteventura are to be found. Despite the noise, the hotel was wonderful. The food was the best to be found on the island and the staff were top notch."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of June 2006

Fantastic hotel

"This is a top class hotel, definitely 5 star de luxe. Nothing was shabby/dirty/tacky/dated. Very tasteful and luxuriouse.

STAFF

Always had a smile, always friendly, no request was a problem. Never had service like it

ENTERTAINMENT

In the evenings there was always live music in reception/bar which was enjoyable. Nothing else on though.

SPA

We didn't use this but from the pictures it looked good.

ROOMS

Spacious, we were delilghted to have a king size/queen size bed when we were expecting twin, kept very clean and tidy. 2 armchairs and a table as well as loads of wardrobe space and drawers which makes a nice change, desk/dressing table, plenty of mirrors, bedside tables. We were on second floor and it was nice and quiet. However we realised it would have cost us an extra £98 each for a week just to have a sea view - and that was just in low season! So I recommend that you don't bother! The bathroom was fantastic, 2 sinks, power shower, bath, plenty of toiletries - although the glass partition on the bath was not large enough to stop the power shower spraying and flooding the floor. This is the only main criticism we have - having to mop up the floor every morning! But I think it is known to the management froom talking to other residents.

POOLS

2 pools and a kiddies pool - one of the main ones was a good temperature and had whirpool effect. The other was a bit too cold - but whether it wasn't heated as it was May I don't know. Lovely pool area - lots of trees and plants.

FOOD

Perhaps the most disappointing thing about the hotel, but still pretty good. There are 4 restaurants - buffet, gourmet, Italian and Japanese. Didn't try Japanese or gourmet. The Italian was very 'posh' and a bit 'nouvelle cuisine' i.e. fancy menu and not much food on your plate but it was tasty. The buffet is very expensive for what it is. It costs 42 euros per person, which even for a 5 star hotel seems exorbitant. But the problem was there was not much choice (because it wasn't that popular so they were supposedly catering for a small number) so you didn't feel like you were getting your money's worth. Also a beach/pool restaurant - however the snack menu did not offer much i.e. chicken sandwich, ham and cheese sandwich, and the 'club' sandwich turned out to be chicken and ham and cheese! However breakfast was wonderful - more on offer than for an evening meal. But no porridge!

LOCATION

I agree with a previous reviewer who said this hotel placed in Corralejo is like putting the Dorchester on Skegness seafront. It is totally out of place. To get to the town it is a half hour walk along a residential street. Or you can get a taxi that takes 2 minutes and costs 2-3 euros. Corralejo is not that nice - just a street of boring shops and tacky souvenir places and no harbour or beach to speak of. There are very few nice restaurants and we heard that it was not a good idea to eat on the main street! Nothing pretty or picturesque at all. If you like to wander on your holiday as a break from sunbathing, don't go here.

Fuerteventura is still so undeveloped, on the trip from the airport to the hotel there was nothing except sand as far as you can see. I would not go back to the island, but would definitely go back to the hotel!"

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of June 2006

First Class Hotel, Third Rate Location

Good

"Almost everything about this hotel is excellent - great restaurants, friendly and professional staff, great rooms and fabulous views over the ocean to Lobos and Lanzarote. This is a genuine 5 star with the added benefit that food and beverage prices are very reasonable for this type of hotel. The spa is first class, the pool area, sadly, is claustrophobic and unless you enjoy having your eardrums constantly assaulted by obese, out of control, screaming kids you'd be advised to lay out your beach towel somewhere else.

But the main problem is simply this. The hotel is in the wrong location. Imagine finding the London Dorchester Hotel on the seafront at Skegness, it just doesn't work. The same applies to this hotel. Immediately behind the hotel there is considerable construction work going on - a huge commercial complex. Currently there are 7 tall cranes towering above the hotel and although the noise doesn't really present a problem their presence hardly adds to a relaxing and enjoyable atmosphere. In addition, right next door there is the wreck of another hotel, empty, burnt-out and vandalised. Frankly, it looks like something out a Vietnam war movie. Once again, the Kempinski seems completely out of place. The beachfront perimeter of the hotel is surrounded by a 10 foot tall wrought iron fence. Whether this is an attempt to keep the guests in or the locals out remains unclear.

Unless you are into windsurfing and/or nude sunbathing, there is very little on this island to capture your intrerest for very long. Imagine a giant sand dune in the Atlantic Ocean and then one day a flying saucer comes overhead a dumps a huge pile of broken bricks on the lanscape, what you get is a place called Fuerteventura - barren landscape with its tedium interrupted briefly on the west side by a mountain range. It's the sort of place you'd come to if you were seriously contemplating suicide. It really is that depressing.

The guide books decribe the north of the island as "breezy" in the same way an estate agent might describe a slum dwelling as, "requiring some modernisation". The winds that blow here are in fact galeforce at times making sunbathing or beach walking a particularly unpleasant experience. A drive around the island in a attempt to find something (anything!) to grasp your imagination is a worthless experience. To the east and south of the island you will however come across huge housing and villa developments everywhere, typifying the kind of mass overdevelopment that the Spanish do so very well.

So, if you must come here, then you'll find the Kempinski Hotel a first class place to stay and, undoubtedly, the best hotel on the island by far. The question remains, though, why would anyone want to come here?"

• Travel date: Sat 20th of May 2006

Loved this hotel

"Quite simply a wonderful hotel. We stayed in March, 2006 and we loved this hotel. I had read all the great reviews but I am still always a little apprehensive. This hotel goes out of its way to be excellent - including noting my partner's birthday from her passport. They arranged a birthday cake and little present for her which was delivered to our room on the day - pretty impressive! The rooms are lovely - particularly rooms overlooking the sea. The pool area is excellent with really comfortable sunbeds and plenty of umbrellas. The breakfasts are amazing! The pool bar restaurant serves really good food.

The resort of Corralejo is poor but we did find a couple of ok restaurants. All in all we loved the hotel and will definitely return."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of May 2006

You want it - It's already there!!

Good

"I cover pretty mush everything in this review, so please read on if you want to know everything about my holiday!! I can recommend a great bar too for the evening called 'The Venue'. Read on to find out why...

This hotel is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.

The check in queue was rather long, but once to the front it was painless. The bellboy helped us to our room. Showed us where things were on the way. Once in the room he did a quick tour, which was needed.

The room was spectacular. Views onto the sea front of Lanzarote and Los Lobos. Massive bed!! Sitting room with a nice wide screen TV. Very pricey mini bar. 3 Euros for a Mars bar??? They were only 55 cents in the supermarkets.

The bathroom was perfect. Huge bath. Seperate wet shower. Two sinks. Separate toilet and bidet. The goodies in the bathroom was brilliant. There was a 50ml showergel, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. Two toothbrushes with toothpaste. Shaver with shaving foam. Shoeshine, sewing kit, showercap - even womens personal monthly equipment was supplied. Anything you could think of was there.

Wardrobe space was OTT. You could have checked in with 8 full suitcases and not have filled the space.

Maid service was very thourough. Scented petals everyday. Fresh fluffy white towels. The goodies were stocked all the time. Turndown service provided some lovely Toblerone for us and a lovely thought for the day about love. Once thing I must say is, the maid even knocked on the door when the do not disturb sign was on the door!! She was very nice though.

Room service was shocking. Time was good, but our two club sandwiches were far from what I would consider a club sandwich. Didn't order again, once was enough.There are some good restaurants to try in the hotel.

The pool was a very pleasant atmosphere, when the sun shone that is. There is one heated pool which is a very good temperature. The others are not heated. The towel system is a bit of a pain though. You get two tokens that you have to exchange daily for your towels which means you have to treck all the way back and forth to the towel hut.

There were no pool waiters which was a shame, but the bar wasn't too far.

The spa is great too. Very good sauna etc... the facial I had was excellent and I can recommend that. The massage was the most painful experience on my life and I have the bruises to prove it. We walked round in our robes all day, regardless of whether we were using the spa or not.

Catherine the Public Relations Manager is so friendly. Greated us everyday when we went down for the buffet breakfast - which was FANTASTIC!! Best buffet breakfast I have ever experienced. My husband hates buffet breakfasts, but came down with me every single day and it finishes at 11am, so we didn't have to get up too early.

The hotel is not too far from the town centre, but you do need a car. Once in the centre, there is a fabulous bar. It's called 'THE VENUE' and it's in the Commercial Centre downstairs. They had a singing dog!! Bless him. Great atmosphere, sensible customers. Very hard quiz, but then I find the childrens edition of Trivial Pursuit hard. We went there every night. Julian and Sue are the owners and they welcomed us back every night. The drinks are very reasonably priced too.

To be fair, the town centre isn't very glamorous at all. But 'The Venue' is a great place to spend the evening and make some new friends - Hi to Chris and Teresa!!

I have so much more to write, but I'm sure you've have enough of reading. Fab hotel - will go again."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of April 2006

Excellent hotel - shabby resort

"Just returned from a week at the Bahia Real. Very hard to fault the hotel - though Corralejo is a real dump (unless you like awful shopping and tacky eateries, with the usual wide-boys hanging around outside trying to "tempt" you in).

The hotel is fabulous, although a minor gripe (hence only a 4 star rating) is it's failure to provide children's menus - you're left to pay for adult food. Given how child-friendly the hotel is, I found this disappointing."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of April 2006

Everything we expected - thanks reviewers

"I don't need to say anything more than has been written below. This is a 5 star hotel and lived up to its billing. Nice housekeeping touches include flowers all over the bathroom, fruit on arrival and a poem on your pillow. Everything comes with a smile.

I always check trip advisor and the comments ensured that the holiday booked 'blind' over the internet was what we were looking for. Thanks reviewers.

The location, quality of staff and facilites were all excellent. The hotel is on the edge of town (15 minute walk) and Corralejo is not a great place but the nearby beaches are stunning and the rest of Fuenteventura is more interesting.

You can get a reasonable meal down by the harbour but the restaurants in the hotel are excellent. (My son asked if they could do carbonara one night and the pasta chef (yes, they really do have one just to do pasta) said come back tomorrow and I will make it specially for you - and he did!) The buffet is expensive at 42 euros per person but it changed every night and was vast.

I particularly liked the fact that there was always a manager on hand to greet and speak to guests - even at breakfast (an amazing range of choice including obscure and diabetic foods).

Enjoy your stay."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of April 2006

Excellent hotel

Good

"This is a hotel of the highest quality. The staff are very friendly, and we found the service and food excellent throughout our stay. Rooms are spacious and well equipped. We stayed in ocean view rooms which were well worth the small additional cost. The pool area is really well laid out with plenty of planting which avoids any sense of being crowded. The beach at the hotel is fairly small and rocky, but there is a reasonably regular bus service to the sand dunes and beach about a mile away if you prefer. The only negative is that Corralejo itself is pretty shabby and doesn't really have a great deal to recommend it. Having said that, the hotel does provide everything you need for a very comfortable and relaxing break. We would certainly return."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of March 2006

simply the best

"My husband and I and our 2yr old had a fantastic holiday at this hotel. The staff are very friendly, polite and professional. Our Room was attended to twice a day and was extremely clean!
If you fancy a taste of luxury - celeb style -then this is the hotel for you ! Expensive but worth every penny."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of February 2006

Lovely Hotel...Corralejo shabby.

"The hotel is fantastic, spa, health treatments, lovely pool, location is excellent.

The nearby beaches were absolutely beautiful, although there are more pretty beaches if you are prepared to travel, like ourselves, we hired bikes and road around the north west and north east of the island.

I have to say the local town of Corralejo is very shabby and almost makes the hotal feel a little out of place.

The only problem I could give about the hotel is the poor service in the Beach Bar/Cafe...waited 10 mins to be acknowledged so we could order and on our last day we waited 30 mins for the bill! I had to ask 3 times!

All in all though a fab hotel and may return again in the future, just for the Spa and the lovely beaches...."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of February 2006

Hotels near Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real

Stayed at Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real? Share your insight.

Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real is also called