2058
Good

Unhelpful staff and too far from town

Reviewed 23rd April 2013

"I stayed at Bahiazul for 13 nights during March and April 2013. I paid 266 Euro for pool heating. Upon our arrival we noticed the pool seemed quite cold, and the pump was not operational. I contacted reception to ask whether the pool was actually heated, and whether the pump should be running. We were told that the pool should be 26 degrees, and they even sent someone to test the temperature who reported that it was 26 degrees. I did not see the thermometer myself, but took their word for it. Over the next five days we swam in the pool only once as it was very cold and uncomfortable to swim in. We returned in the evening of the fourth day to discover the pump was now operating, and this was the first time during our stay. From this point forward the pool heated up, and by the sixth day it was a very pleasant temperature - the pool was obviously not heated until now. I requested someone come to again test the now warm temperature of the pool, however no one ever came. During the remainder of my stay I visited reception on four occasions to discuss some compensation or refund of five days worth of pool heating. Each time I was dismissed with "we will look into it". On the final day I spoke with Sven, who said he would have to speak with his manager. This indicates he had obviously not done anything about my complaint to this point. He said he would notify me of the outcome via email, however it is now two weeks later and I have not heard anything from Bahiazul, despite writing two emails. I should not have expected anything more given the way they had been ignoring my complaint for over a week. It is incredibly disappointing that the staff have not bothered to contact me at any stage during this process, and have completely ignored my complaints. This has left a very unpleasant memory of Bahiazul and it's management - I would not recommend Bahiazul to anyone as it is much more trouble than it is worth. The location is not ideal, and you will require a hire car to take you into town should you take the risk of choosing to stay here. An approximately 4km walk is required to get to the centre of town, and it is even further to the beach. I agree with other reviews that there is an ant problem. We had to spray ants in the kitchen eat day and store all our food in the fridge to stop them from getting into it. The mattress in the bed had several depressions and lumps on one side, which often made it quite uncomfortable to lay on. The spa is small and uncomfortable for two people, and located out of the way on the roof. On a positive note, I will say that the kitchen/restaurant waitstaff were very friendly and offered fantastic service. If I had not enjoyed the breakfasts and the service of the restaurant staff so much I would have given this a rating of 'terrible' rather than 'poor'. Corralejo is a great location to holiday - but I would recommend staying somewhere much closer to town or a beach, and with decent management who have some integrity, are not so rude, are willing to take responsibility for their shortcomings, and do not ignore their customers."

• Travel date: 20th April 2013

Perfect holiday

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"We have stayed in Bahiazul a few months ago, and to be honest, is was a perfect holiday for us. Instructions on how to arrive at the villa where detailed, so getting lost wasn't possible. And when we arrived, Pascal gave us an excellent tour around the park and the house with exact instructions on how to use everything. The villa was just like it was showed on the internet. And all the service given at the complex were really good. The restaurant was a good value for money, and they could bring your dinner even to your villa. A few times a week the pool, jacuzzi and terraces where cleaned and also the villa was cleaned once a week including towel changing. The heated pool and jacuzzi where great (32ºC) , a real pleasure even for a midnight swim. If it was windy, it was a bit chilly at the roofterrace at night (in october) We usually stayed in hotels on our holidays and this was the first time we did something diferent but for sure not the last. You need a car to get to town or to go to the beach. or if you want to see something of the island. There is a good supermarket (spar) in town with even fresh fish. And if you want to go out for lunch or dinner, there are a lot of restaurant in town and prices are really good (it's cheaper as the spanish mainland) We don't know about the nightlife in Corralejo as it is not our thing, but plenty of bars to do a mojito. We would like to thank Cesar, Pascal and the bahiazul staff for a perfect holiday."

The Perfect Holiday

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"After a delayed flight we arrived at the Bahiazul Villas after 9pm. The complex is well signed posted from the main road so there was no problem finding the villas, we were also give excellent directions when we booked. We were met by the security guard on the gate, who showed us to our Villa, first impressions were fantastic, plung pool roof terrace, jacuzzi, everything we expected and more. We were finally on holiday. We found all the staff at the Bahiazul Villas to be extremely helpful and very friendly. Pascal came to our Villa in the morning and showed us round, we were plesantly surprised that we could plug in the iPod which could be played all round the Villa and we had an excellent wifi connection. Pascal was very knowledgable about the island and gave us good recommendations of places to visit. There are a number of Villas on the complex but we never felt overlooked and the complex was kept very tidy. We booked our villa with Caser through "onwersdirect" and stayed in the "Villa Bougambilla" The Villa had everything we needed and was very comfortable and spacious. Our pool was heated which was fantastic, I was even swimming on cloudy days. We enjoyed most of our afternoons sunning ourselves on the roof top, we had no problems with the Jacuzzi which was very relaxing. The en-suite bathroom was lovely and spacious and the shower was great, there is poor ventilation, but we would just make sure that sliding doors were always open and this allowed the steam to escape. Talking about the sliding doors they were not the most secure, but it didn't make us feel any less safe, there is an excellent safe, big enough to fit the Laptop and we just made sure that all valubles were locked away. Having the WiFi was excellent especially as my other half runs his own business and needed to log on a couple of days. We didn't do much cooking in the Villa, breakfast was included and we ate out every night. Having no oven is limiting, but the hob itself was great and the kitchen was well equipped for what you need. We would recommend the Bahiazul Villas and will definitely be booking again."

Practically perfect in everyway

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"After a long stressfull year we decided to take a late holiday, we had never been to Fuerteventura before so we were a little sceptical about the whole experience. after spending two week there we are extremely pleased we chose Bahiazul for our holiday. Upon arrival we were greeted by Pascal who was very polite ,spoke excellent english, and was most helpful. Our first impression was exactly what we were lead to expect by the photos, we was extemely pleased with the high standard of the villa and the complex. The villa was well equipted the pool was perfect for our reqiurements. The jacuzzi was an added bonus and we thoroughly enjoyed the evening BBQ on the roof terrace. I found that all the staff was all polite very helpful and they respected your privatcy in everyway, Pascal was very effecient and if any problems arose he rectified them imediately. the complex was very clean and if there was any maintanace work being carried out they were very appologetic and Pascal made sure it was finished as quickly as possible. I can honestly say for families that want a quiet get away this complex is well recomended but for teenagers it was a little far from the main town. What we liked about the place was the privatecy from the high walls so when you were around the pool we didn't feel overlooked.The place was well equiped and had practically everyhing you need for a good holiday. However there was a few points where they could improve ! WIFI as stated was not available in the villa, it needs Sky tv in the villas as it was all spanish television, an oven and a few more cooking utensills especially for the BBQ. But as for the rest of it all I can say is!!!!!!!! EXCELLENT"

• Travel date: 3rd January 2010

Damp Smell and Cold Jacuzzi!

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"We were booked in to stay at the Bahiazul for our honeymoon in November 2009. The reason we booked this place is because it was advertised as luxury accomodation and the reviews were (almost) flawless so we had high expectations based on the reviews. We when arrived after a weary journey (got lost on way from the airport) we were greeted by Pascal who was friendly but seemed to be in a rush to show us around our villa. The complex looks lovely when you arrive and the villas from the outside look very pretty. As soon as we walked into the villa I could smell damp but did not say anything as thought the place may have just needed some air circulating around it to freshen it up a bit. The decor was nice but not as nice as advertised, a bit 'tired' I would say. The pool was ok but very small and very cold so not usable at this time of year. The main bedroom smelt really badly of damp and this was coming from the connecting bathroom which had poor ventilation. The other 2 rooms smelt absolutely foul. Luckily for us we were not using these rooms but there is no way I would have wanted anyone sleeping in these. The problem was once again the bathrooms and probably poor ventilation but I am no expert in this area so I will not go into detail on this. Once Pascal left us we thought well lets just make the most of this and try to relax so we unpacked and had our first evening in the villa. The kitchen was fully stocked although not having a proper oven was not ideal, everything else was fine in the kitchen though. The bathroom (although smelly) had a great shower and was very spacious. We had turned on the jacuzzi as soon as we arrived as apparently it takes 2 hours for them to warm up so our plan was the use it in the evening whilst drinking champagne (since it was our honeymoon and all!). We went up onto the roof to use the jacuzzi later on but the water had not warmed up at all. Since the external temperature was probably about 18 degrees celcius it was certainly not warm enough for us to enjoy. We called Pascal at this time who said wait a while for it to warm up. He seemed reluctant to help us and it seemed he thought we had not turned it on properly, he was suggesting it was our fault. The next morning we tried to open our bedroom door and we could not get out of the room. Luckily we left our room out of the patio door (opening on to the pool) and managed to get in to the villa from the poolside patio door into the living room. Even though we had locked that door the night before, the lock did not work properly so we were able to get back into the villa. For your information it would be easy for an intruder to get into the pool area as all they would have to do would be the open the gate by the side of the villa so with this in mind their was a security risk. We turned on the jacuzzi again as soon as we got out of our room the next morning and there were no signs that it was warming up. We called Pascal that morning to discuss the issues and he came to see us quite quickly. He was very blasé about the door locking problem saying this happened alot and it was because they could not get the right 'part's in Fueteventura for these types of doors so it was a reoccuring problem! We said we were worried about the security risk and he said there had been no break-ins at Bahiazul and we need not worry. That did not help us very much as there is always a chance of theft and we would have preferred for the problem to be fixed properly. Regarding the Jacuzzi he told us he would get a plumber to come to our villa. A plumber came and apparently he had to get a part and would be back later but he did not return that day so we were on night 2 of our honeymoon and NO JACUZZI. We spoke to Pascal about this a few times throughout that day and he just palmed us off saying the plumber is coming.That is all well and good but if you pay for a villa with a working jacuzzi you expect just that. At this point we were both getting very upset and felt like he was not helping to fix the problems in the villa. We could have lived with the damp smell and the door problem (although it was not perfect), we could also have lived with the freezing cold (unusable) pool but not having a warm jacuzzi when this was one of the main reasons we booked the villa was just not acceptable. On day 2 we asked if we could move villas to one with a working jacuzzi but we were told by Pascal that this was not possible and nothing was available. Quite strange since it was dead quiet on the complex with hardly any cars around. On the morning of day 3 we decided to go to the reception and ask for a refund as we wanted to try to salvage our honeymoon and start to enjoy ourselves. Luckily the actual manager was there (we thought Pascal was the manager but he was only the receptionist). The manager (I can not remember his name) seemed to understand where we were coming from and kindly gave us a refund for the remaining 10 nights of our stay on the island. He did say please do not give us a bad review but I felt compelled to write this as I would not want another couple to experience what we did. We understand that problems happen with villas but to not have the problem fixed within a reasonable timescale is not acceptable to us and to not have these problems taken seriously is insulting. We were on the most special holiday of our lives and to have to deal with this meant we were very stressed and upset when we were meant to be relaxing. I know that Pascal has had very good reviews previously but we personally found him very weak and unhelpful. We also know full well that he lied to us. We spoke to a couple who owned a number of villas on the complex and they said there had been break-ins and they had experienced this in one of their villas. They also said that many villas had problems with the jacuzzis not working properly so maybe this is why Pascal kept on palming us off. We would never recommend this complex to anyone based on the shabby villa, the damp smells and the bad customer service. Corralejo however is a really nice town with loads of lovely restaurants in the old part of the town. Las Dunas Parque Natural is also lovely and Flag beach is beautiful. We managed to get a room in the 5 star Atlantis Bahia Real which was amazing and in a much better location than Bahiazul (you could walk into the town from here but bahiazul was about an hours walk to the decent restaurants). Luckily we salvaged our honeymoon, no thanks to Bahiazul!"

• Travel date: 30th December 2009

All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"My wife and I spent 2 weeks here at the begining of October 2009 and came away feeling vey confused about whether we would return. I will start by saying we had a great time and the villa looked just like the one in the brochures but then so did the other 146. The complex is generally quite and maintained to a very high standard and is spotlessly clean. All the equipment provided is of a good quality and as mentioned in other reviews the showers to the master bedroom are particularly good. The brochures all boost heated pool and jaccuzzis and this is where I have a bit of a gripe. The pool heat pump was switched off at the fuse board and never worked consequently the pool was quite cold. The jaccuzzi filter runs on a timer for only 2 hours a day and the temperature cannot be controlled (the jets can be operated anytime).consequently when you want to use the unit at night under the stars it can get uncomfortably cold. One day our tub filled with a black gunge where the jets had not been cleaned thoroughly which I admit is odd as the pools and jaccuzzi are cleaned every 3 days. Because the filter is on a timer this sludge just sat there until the maintenance crew arrived to remove. The roof top barbeque is a nice feature but be warned there are no utensils to cook with? The lack of any oven in the property is crazy you only have a hob and microwave. The roof top dining table has been built too high for the chairs provided which was a stupid mistake. The designers have gone to great lengths to try and minimise overlooking and privacy, but unfortunately if the surrounding villas are occupied there is none and the high walls shadow the pool area significantly. As mentioned the complex is maintained to a high standard which beleive it or not can actually become a pain as there is always some kind of work going on all around in the vacant villas. I know I shouldnt moan about this but on some occassions the drilling and sawing was just too much whilst chilling! Be very careful after you have used any of the water features as the floor is lethal when wet. On several occassions I found I could do the splits when I least expected. The on site restaurant was a big dissapointment. The breakfasts a 6 euros each is not bad except the cooked elements are always luke warm or cold and arrive a different times. We did eat there one evening but this was a mistake. The wife was served Heinz vegetable soup and most things on the limited menu were not actually available. Now having said all that the on site staff are helpfull, happy and get any problems sorted very quickly. Our villa had 2 fridges and no freezer which was swapped in less than 30 minutes of our arrival. Its a great shame that such little things have tainted our stay, because we did enjoy the time here and would not hesitate to go back if some of these issue could be addressed, mainly an oven (hardly self catering if you cant cook), BBQ utensils some means of cleaning up any mess you might make (theres no hover or mop etc so dont drop or spill anything) and a fully controllable jaccuzzi like other villas. You definately need a car as the nearest decent supermarkets and beeches are 10 minutes by car and a very long way to walk in the fanastic temperatures."

• Travel date: 11th December 2009

Villa Bougambilla-peaceful and relaxing stay

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the villa for 10 days of relaxation, and we certainly got that. I would agree with many of the comments with Shannon from London. The villa is beautifully appointed and the facilities are exellent. We particularly enjoyed being able to play music anywhere around the villa, including the outside areas. The jacuzzi is wonderful and we enjoyed this of an evening watching some lovely sunsets. We were unfortunately not able to use the pool. Perhaps that is not too surprising at this time of the year. We do like to swim a lot on holiday and this was rather a shame, although ofcourse we were able to go in the sea. I have swam in some very unheated cold pools in Greece and am used to this-however, this one was literally as cold as ice and I could not even get in up to my knees. This is one of the main reasons we book a villa to use our own pool-so this is worth noting if it is important to you. I am sure the water is much warmer in the summer months. Some basic toiletries such as soap provided and perhaps a small welcome pack would have been a few nice extras ( perhaps we have been spoiled when renting other villas). Guests would then not have to rush straight out to the supermarket. We enjoyed some lovely meals out in Corralejo-we would particularly recommend the Waikiki and Beleten restaurants down next to the sea. The Natural Park area just outside the resort is beautiful-the beach is breathtaking and like being in a mini sahara desert! We generally had a very enjoyable stay. Thank You to to the very friendly and professional Pascal for his helpful information and knowledge."

• Travel date: 22nd November 2009

Excellent...

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"If you want a quiet private luxury villa with excellent facilities then this is it. I can't really add to what's been said already but one thing I would add is that some of the TV channels can be changed to English."

• Travel date: 7th November 2009

Peacful Break

Reviewed 15th October 2009

"Useful info: - Couple aged around 30 who live in the Greater London Region. From the moment we arrived at the villa we were pleased to find one of the many security guards at the gate to show us to our villa. We followed him in our hire car whilst he rode in a golf buggy. We puuled up and parked in the carport and he took us to the front door. When he opened the front door we were amazed by the impact that the view inside had on us. When the door opened you see a spacious lounge in front of you and behind that glazed doors that lead out to the pool area. The pool was lit and looked stunning. Each day after the villa kept springing surprises that made our holiday better. The villa has an iPod connection that is linked to all the rooms and the upstairs veranda. There is also an intercom which came in very handy. I would be upstairs cooking on the BBQ and whilst my partner was getting the salad ready etc I could use the intercom to call for more meat (or beer). The shower in the main bedroom is out of this world! There are two shower heads and four body jets at different levels to suit all. You can decide to have one or the other if you wish. All the other rooms have standard showers but are good quality. The lagoon style pool was very refreshing after a good sunbath and was used frequently. I liked the non slip coating they put around the pool too. There is a jacuzzi on the 1st floor, a BBQ, a dining area and a sink. The town itself was quiet and we found ourselves in a nice little rock bar with live music (out of season too). The beaches are lovely and would recommend the beach most West of the Island. Paulo (the concierge) told about some lovely spanish resturants to eat in and they turned out to be the best ones we went to. Local knowledge goes a long way. Overall we had a lovely relaxing break and we will be back. It's a shame we only had one week there."

• Travel date: 15th October 2009

Villa Bougambilla (Bahiazul Villas Complex) - EXCELLENT

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"We have just arrived back from this villa last week - We booked this villa direct with Cesar you can contact him on [--] at a very good price of £599 a week!!! Please see my review below.... What a lovely very well presented villa that had everything to offer and more. The location was quiet and away from the main town, which I thought was a good thing as we wanted a chill out holiday with the option of a 5 -10 drive into the main town. I would suggest doing any shopping in spar as we found this to be the cheapest by far, for meat, fish and drinks etc. the supermarket is only a 5 minute drive from the villa. I would also recommend hiring a car to get around the island (unless you like walking a lot) The villa it self was amazing and looked exactly like it did in the pictures. The pool was a good temperature VERY private with high walls all around the lower half of the villa, the sun loungers were also VERY comfortable too. The Jacuzzi was excellent, me and my other half spent most afternoons chilling in there with a glass of wine. The villa also has a large sized BBQ which I used most nights, there is also a fitted concrete table next to that which is good, however can get a bit windy up there in the afternoon and if any one from the other villas are out eating to it is not very private. The wide screen TV in the living area is good and has a DVD player built in. The TV only showed Spanish channels and nothing was in English, (maybe Sky TV would be a good idea. This villa also has a radio that can be played in any room in the villa/ pool area and the roof terrace via speakers, you can also plug your ipod through this to, which I think it is a very good idea. The cooking area in the villa is good but missing an oven which I feel would make it perfect as then you could cook pizzas and chips etc and not have to light a BBQ every night! The bedrooms are all a nice size (cozy beds) and the shower in the main bedroom is outstanding with jets coming out of the walls and 2 showers heads as well. The designers of this villa have been clever (dotted around the villa is mini sky lights that make the most of the sun light that you get through the day) We travelled to different beaches most days ranging from 5 – 30 minutes driving time and found these to be of very good quality to, not to crowded, with crystal clear water. One night we travelled into Corralejo town and went for an all you can eat buffet (Chinese), the food was very good and had so many choices and came to a total of 25 Euros (Bargain) Also if you have any problems with the villa or need advice on anything a man named Pascal works in the complex (dial reception from the phone in the villa), he is very helpful and speaks good English, which is helpful for us Brits to. Summary This villa is all round Excellent, the only downsides are that it has not got an oven and the upstairs Jacuzzi/BBQ area is not very private and there are no English TV channels. Me and my partner are defiantly going back to this villa around the same time next year and would recommend that any one else looking for a good relaxing/private time, go to this villa to but make sure you hire a car!!!"

• Travel date: 19th September 2009

Amazing villas, quiet, out of the way location (strange bedroom layout though)

Reviewed 12th October 2012

"We booked this villa direct with the owner and got an excellent price plus an early bird discount - cost less than £1020.00 for 2 weeks at the end of June which is excellent for such quality villas. The villa was beautifully decorated with each bedroom having it's own en suite shower room and the master bedroom also had a seperate dressing area. Their was a gorgeous pool and an amazing roof terrace with views over the volcanic landscape, a BBQ, solarium sunbed and a jacuzzi!! There was free WiFi (although it only worked on the roof terrace of the villa or in the on-site bar), a TV and DVD player, Ipod docking station that had speakers in each room and outside. Staff on site were very friendly and helpful. The bar and restaurant were a little pricey but we enjoyed our meal here on one of the nights we didn't go into the main resort. The villa complex is extremely quiet and relaxing, which is great if you want a peaceful holiday. However, the town itself is about 45 minutes away to walk. We walked into town most nights and got a taxi back as it was very dark and some of the pavements are quite badly paved (they would be sued if it was England!!). Therefore, if you aren't a good walker, have young children or are disabled you would need to go by car or taxi. There are a few cafes and bars about half way into town on a small roundabout, known as Tiffanys (there is a bar there called Tiffanys). This was a nice stop off point when walking but they are on a main road so it's hardly picturesque. All in all, we loved our holiday and the villa was the best we have stayed in due to the modern decor and facilities. We would definitely go again but would not recommend these villas for families with small children because the 2 smaller bedrooms CANNOT be accessed from inside - you can only access them from the outside area around the pool. This means that if you stay with small children you will either have to lock them into their rooms at night (which I would not do) or leave their doors unlocked all night (which I would definitely never do). Luckily, our daughter is 19 so this did not cause too many problems (but it was strange that the only way she could get into the villa in the morning was to have the only key to the villa and go round to the front door or she had to sit and wait outside by the pool until we woke up!! - We could not imagine who designed the villas with this layout). A small problem for us and it did not impact on the overall enjoyment of the villa, but this could cause a big problem for some families."

• Travel date: 1st September 2009

honests review

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"My family wanted a nice warm winter holiday to celebrate a special birthday, and liked the look of the bahiazul villas in fuerteventura. The villas are finished to a very high standard and cannot be faulted for fitments or comfort. We did have teething problems with pool not heated enough but this was due to faulty pump and we were moved to another villa. The staff are especially friendly and helpful. The only disadvantage here is the fact that the town is a good 45 minute walk, also although the sand dune beach looks deceptively close on the right it actually takes about 1 3/4 hours to walk to sea. Also it would be advisable to wear grip shoes when coming down the external stairs as they are slippy when wet. My children are 16 and 19 and I feel the complex suits older people or couples rather than youngsters. Also we did not eat on site as rather pricey. You can get a taxi into corralejo at main gate usuallly a 2-3 min wait average price about 3.80 euros. There are nice little beaches in the town centre ideal for young people also. I wont talk about the town itself but write that under a different review."

• Travel date: 1st February 2009

Hotels near Bahiazul Villas & Club

Top traveller tips for Bahiazul Villas & Club

• by peterhughes1986

"Make sure your pool is actually being heated"

• by JamesBeasley

"The most relaxing place we have been to"

Bahiazul Villas & Club is also called