me and my boyfriend spent 2 weeks here i...

Reviewed Fri 1st of February 2008

"me and my boyfriend spent 2 weeks here it was amazin and we loved every min of it.
the pool was always clean and great to go in on a nyt. the rooms are a good size and are cleaned daily.
the red lion bar is amazin the staff r graet and help u drink till u drop weneva that is.thanx michelle steve suzanne fran n th kids.
the food and nyt time entertainment is graet if there is nothin in th red lion thas plenty more arount different places every nyt wot a great hol 4 all ages :) cyas all soon!"

• Travel date: Fri 1st of February 2008

First the negative - Half board!! Unfor...

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2007

"First the negative - Half board!!

Unfortunately we booked half board thinking that food was available on site. It's not, it's at Tahona Garden, which is a few minutes away. Look up their reviews and I don't need to say much more!!

We went out every other night to get a decent meal. Waiters were seen messing with the breakfast food with their bare hands, after wiping down the tables with dirty looking cloths.

Beware!! In fairness, Villa Florida reception did their best, but they couldn't change what was going on around the corner in another complex.

Second - Villa Florida Complex.

Absolutely wonderful. Cleaned almost every day. Very pleasant apartments. Staff very helpful (if they could understand you!).

The bathroom was quite small, and the bath is more like a large shower base. No adult would be able to bathe in it! But clean all the same, as per the rest of the rooms. I have to comment about the towels - they are laundry cleaned, with no lenor softeners etc so they will NEVER be as nice as those at home! But they were fine for what you need them for, and I have no complaint about them. They were changed as soon as they became damp, so you couldn't ask for more than that really.

The Red Lion Bar is now closed down, so there is no poolside refreshments. But a couple of minutes away is the centre with loads of places selling all you could wish for.

The apartment had a fridge and 2 cooker rings, a kettle and a toaster. All worked perfectly fine. The beds were comfortable and always clean and changed. Television had to be paid for and there were only about half a dozen in English. But that doesn’t matter as there are so many places to eat whilst there you won't be in enough to moan about the telly!

The pool was clean although cold! But well maintained and the sunloungers were all clean and stacked away every night ready for the following day.

The surrounding gardens were well maintained and great to look at whilst on your terrace taking a drink or two.

Recommended places to eat? No 1 has got to be Nestors, next to Caleta Gardens.

Absolutely superb food, cooked from scratch, and Nestor is a great host too. We went there a few times during our stay.

No 2 Fado is very good Portuguese food. Went there a few times too, with a good atmosphere.

All in all a great 2 weeks apart from the half board 'food'! Caleta De Fuste is beautiful, and the people great. I didn’t want to come home!!"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of December 2007

Hello holiday makers, well what can we s...

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2007

"Hello holiday makers, well what can we say? We have been to this same resort (Calta de Fuste or Costa Caleta) whichever one your holiday provider likes to call it, three times. The resort itself is fantastic, a great beach and even if you are going for 14 nights you will find somewhere different to eat at every night. Every time we have been its been the same week in November and this time was by far the warmest reaching 35 centigrade on two days, however the occasional gust of wind from the sea makes it baerable.

Activities- on one day of your holiday you must, must visit the oasis park at la lajita (www.lajitaoasispark.com) this is by far the best excursion we have been on in Fue and we have been on quite a number. It cost 44 euros for an adult but this included a coach collection from our hotel, a guide for the day and breakfast and lunch. The day was nicely broken up by four shows and lunch and in a truly canarian attitude, so laid back. It was better than any zoo/botanical garden in uk and you didn't have some guy with a uniform shouting at you to get off the grass or don't use a flash camera, I mean come on do they blindfold all the animals in the uk zoo's when there is a lightning storm!! no they don't! Have you ever seen a guy hold an alligators mouth closed using only his chin, NO well go here and you will have.

On another day we took the bus (very cheap, very reliable and strangely on time) to Porta del Rosario and then changed buses for Corralejo, we only visited the water park there and to be honest unless you like hurtling down a waterslide at 50mph and having a face and mouthful of salt water at the end it, not worth paying the 28EURO entry price. The animal experience was good and you get it included in the entry price of the water park but if your going to or have been to oasis park it does not compare.

Now Villa Florida Apartments, the first two times we visited Fue we found a bar called the Red Lion pool bar which was situated on this complex, the staff were great the food excellent and even there were only 5 people up for it they would do a quiz and bingo of an afternoon. So here's a big shout out to ALI, DAVE, MICHELLE AND STEVE. However we arrived at Villa Florida on sat 10 Nov 2007 and wanting a cool drink after the journey headed for the bar which was... CLOSED! This means that this resort Villa Florida DOES NOT HAVE A BAR AT ALL WHATSOEVER! OK it was closed for reasons not known to us and we had to accept it however a bit of effort by the villa might of been nice, I don't know maybe to have bottles of water in a iced bucket next to the pool or something similar.

As of that moment the only good thing about this villa was gone. In general the villa was generally clean and in good repair however the beds were so hard that I woke up in the middle of the night with pain in my side, and not for a second think of leaving anything of value in your room when you go out. We were given two keys, one opened the front door and the other I haven't got a clue what it was for but it was not the back door or the gate or the reception door or the safety deposit box! The only thing securing the badly fitted french doors in our apartment was a bolt, you know the kind of one you put on your bathroom door, a hard knock would have broken it. As for the towels from the previous reviews there not old ours actually looked brand new but they smelt so bad we ended up using the ones we took with us for the beach!

If you are going to Caleta de Fuste I would advise you stay at this hotel only if you usually sleep on the floor, don't use towels to dry yourself and when your by the pool want to die of dehydration. Because of the fact there was no bar we had to find others and we had to have at least one drink in each (damn shame. lol). We found Greg & Katherina's The Lord Nelson Pool Bar walk out of the reception of Villa Florida and look diagonally left, hidden inside another complex but you'll see the signs, fantastic atmosphere even better at night with great evening entertainment. Buy Katherina a half of guinness and a sambuca and you'll be friends for life and Greg is such a great guy, just the kind of people you wanna meet on holiday.

The other place we found was Wendy & John's Tommy Nutters (walk out of Villa Florida reception and turn right walk up to where you see mexico corner and turn left walk a few yards and go down the steps to your right). This place has THE BEST ENGLISH BREAKFAST and over our three times at this resort we have had a few to compare against. The staff are great so A BIG SHOUT OUT TO YOU I'm sorry I can't remember your names but there were a lot and every one was fantastic and so friendly.

Lastly The Flower Of Scotland is the the place to go if you want a good atmosphere and drink until you run out of money usually about 6am for me, if your still drinking there still open, fantastic.

In conclusion (sorry I had a lot to say before you yawn) Caleta de Fuste is a fantastic resort to go to its not full of night clubs that you'll need to take out a mortgage to get into. You'll meet some great friends find some breathtaking places to visit and if you really want sit around a quiet pool from 9 till 5 or go out drinking and singing karaoke till 6 in the morning you can do that too. Have a great time"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of November 2007

First impressions of the apartments were...

Reviewed Wed 11th of July 2007

"First impressions of the apartments were good, and it got better, nice, and clean.

Pool was ice cold (as they usually are). Resort was as usual very clean, the rep there (Stephen) was a helpful sort of guy (as reps go).

The Red Lion was a nice friendly place to eat and drink, would definitely recommend it.

Overall a good base for the holiday, central to all the bars and restaurants, looking to go back next year for a week."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of July 2007

My wife and I, plus my son and his girlf...

Reviewed Wed 20th of June 2007

"My wife and I, plus my son and his girlfriend recently stayed at the villa Florida.

On our arrival we found everything to be clean and tidy, with a good supply of towels in our apartment which by the way they did not smell in the slightest.

Everybody was friendly especially the staff in the old red lion, they where brill.

We would recommend this resort and apartments to anyone thinking of going."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of June 2007

This is clean, but fairly basic accommod...

Reviewed Sun 10th of June 2007

"This is clean, but fairly basic accommodation. For the price we paid, we were more than happy with what we got.

Externally, the apartments are well designed and nicely laid out- ours opened onto a little secluded garden square. As others have noted, the towels have seen better days but they were at least clean.

There was some building work going on and that led to a few early morning wake-ups.

Caleta itself is very quiet, with not a great deal to do apart from eating, drinking, and sunbathing. The man-made beach is nothing special. Walk a mile or so south along the coast and you will find some lovely little sheltered beaches."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of June 2007

Just returned from a fantastic time at t...

Reviewed Sun 6th of May 2007

"Just returned from a fantastic time at the Villa Florida, had read some reviews before we left and was slightly worried, but I shouldn't have been.

It was a fantastic complex; apartments are very clean with good facilities. The towels we found were fine even though we'd heard they weren't too good.

The pool and sun terrace was a good size and always clean. The maid and maintenance service was brilliant.

It is 2 minutes walk from everything, and there is so much choice in food, English, Spanish, Mexican, Indian, Chinese, you can eat somewhere different every night. The beach is a stone's throw away where you can hear sea lions calling when it gets dark.

The pool bar is fantastic, so welcoming and friendly with fun and games during the day and good entertainment every night. It's now run by Suzanne, Michelle and Steve who are brilliant as are all the staff.

The only downside for me was the complex does not supply sun shades so the heat can get a bit much, but it just meant having to go to the bar!

We went on 2 excursions, one to Lanzarote and one to the water park at Baku both were really good days and excellent value for money."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of May 2007

After reading some reports before we wen...

Reviewed Sun 1st of April 2007

"After reading some reports before we went I was quite worried having 2 young children ( 4 & 2 ). The only thing with these apartments really is the towels. They do look old and smell a little so take your own otherwise it's really clean.

There's some really nice places to eat one being the slow boat right next to the apartments I'm not a Chinese lover but it was gorgeous & there very friendly.

Also pay a visit to the sand dunes it's lovely took some brilliant pictures on them.

Loved my holiday here and will go again next year.

• Travel date: Sun 1st of April 2007

Wouldn't go back there in a hurry

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"Very welcoming at reception - on arrival at room - very disappointing - smelled awful and dirty, towels - take your own - even when changed still smelt, however there was a clean kettle and toaster provided. The fridge on the other hand - rusty, smelt and kept opening by itself. Bathroom ok, shower fine. We hired a fan for our apprt as it was so stuffy and hot even though weather was not very good all week. Bedroom - appeared to be comfortable to ants who were less choosy than us. We put the portable bed from the living room into the bedroom with us for our two children as it felt safer to do so - however on our second day there at 6.30am I awoke to find a stranger coming out of our bedroom having helped himself to a few of our items. Gave chase but gave up. The person had gained entry by using a screwdriver to prise the door open. We were in appartment 170 - our door which was one of few that did not make any sound when you opened or closed it - my sister who was next door couldn't open her door without anybody else hearing it. When speaking to a few people by the pool, it appeared this was a common problem. Hotel offered us to change rooms but thought it again safer to stay where we were as there was nothing left to steal anyway. The rep from sunset - Jodi did as much as should could for us. Luckily for us one of our party spoke good spanish as otherwise you would need an enterpretuer at the police station which costs 50euros. Apparently this has happened before at these appartments but holiday company are not allowed to tell you this - everyone going to these appts should be made awhere of this and put the coffee table against the door each night. Sister next door had hired a safety deposit box - luckily passports and majoirty of our money was in there. Our door was definately locked but they still managed to get in - strange!! Pool bar OK food good - entertainment advertised not provided as kept getting let down - but resort had enough of its own anyway. Pool table awful as loopsided - Swimming pool clean but surrounding area quite dirty and definately not cleaned daily as rubbish still there a couple of days later. Would go back to resort but not appartments - no security whatsoever - lots of ways in and out of villa florida this was our downfall and someone elses gain ."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of November 2006

The apartment was clean, bedding clean,...

Reviewed Mon 9th of October 2006

"The apartment was clean, bedding clean, towels not so good, (take your own). Kettle, toaster, fridge, plates etc all you need in apartment, slot TV, maids came every day except Sunday and Thursday.

Lovely sunny terrace with table and chairs, sun lounger and cloth drier. Great pub on complex, run by Ali and her staff. Who will make you very welcome they self good food as well.

After the bad reports I had read I was very worried abut what I was going to fine but I had no need to worry every thing was fine. Will go back"

• Travel date: Mon 9th of October 2006

great place

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"went to the villa florida on the 20 sept till 4th oct, couldnt fault the apartment, it was very clean, cleaner came 12 days in the 14 we were there. bedding very clean, towels were not up to much,(took our own) lovely sunny terrace. with table and chairs, sun lounger. pay in the slot tv. was when quite and peaceful on complex. having read some awful thing was worried what we were going too, all that worring for nothing. red lion pub on complex is a great place,ali and her staff are so friendly. do some good food from 9.clock till 5 clock. would go to the villa florida again .some lovely places to eat, try NESTORS for ribs in jack daniels. fado rock for great steaks .go on the trike with steve from cool running great way to see the island."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of October 2006

Very Friendly. Would return.

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"My husband and I have just returned from a week in the villa florida apts. We found the accomodation very satisfactory, although pillows not up to much! It was very clean, no major bug problems except tiny ants on the bench though not in great numbers. Reception staff helpful, passports returned to us within an hour of arrival. The Red Lion pool bar is exceptionally friendly and do one of the best breakfasts in Caleta. Owner Ali and her staff, Suzanne and Michelle are lovely! Very helpful and easy going. There is entertainment on most nights, we found the best to be Karaoke and vocalist Katie (who is wasted, def has the x-factor!!!) While there we would recommend visiting La Bodeguita italian restaurant, great value and great food. Also the Slow Boat Chinese Restaurant right outside the Red Lion. Overall we had a great stay and would definately return!
p.s take your own towels as theirs are quite threadbare and a little smelly!
Cairen and Peter Taylor