Good

Well priced, location bearable, staff rude.

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in September 2005. The hotel is located a fair distance from the main sights of Barcelona (certainly not walking distance). However the beach, a large shopping centre and a metro station are within walking distance. The metro station is approximately 10-15 minutes walk away. We generally used the metro during the day and taxis at night. We opted for a junior suite at around £75 per night. This gives you a second WC, dining table and sitting area. Although we didn't see the standard rooms the suite was only slightly more expensive at the time. The rooms themselves were very modern - with a slight 70s feel. Everything was very clean. However the hotel had only been open a few months and was already starting to show signs of wear and tear. For example the laminate flooring in the bedroom was very scuffed. The bath had no plug which was very irritating and the shower leaked everywhere. We opted to have breakfast in our room at the same price as going downstairs for it. The pool area (on the roof top) was fairly large although there was an extreme shortage of chairs and sunloungers. The biggest qualm however was the attitude of the staff. A metal towel rail fell off the wall onto my partners foot (he was not even touching it at the time). His foot swelled up and was extremely painful so we automatically presumed he had broken it. I telephoned reception asking for someone to come up to our room. In the UK the manager would have been up to see you instantly, offering you a free stay and a substantial sum of money to keep the incident out of court. Here, a maintenance man who spoke no English arrived around 20 minutes later to fix the towel rail. Downstairs in reception some time later the receptionist seemed to think the whole incident was quite amusing (it wasn't)."

• Travel date: 6th January 2006

Good place to stay, if a little far out

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"The Vinnci Maritimo is a modern hotel on the outskirts of central Barcelona. Whilst it is definitely not in the heart of things, there is a metro 5 mins walk away which is 10-15 mins to the centre - or you can get a cab which will take 10 mins door to door. The area is a little shabby, but is clearly receiving a lot of development with some very smart buldings having recently been built and a fairly posh shopping centre across the road. Barcelona is very expensive for accommodation, so we were happy to trade convenience for a bit of comfort. It's very contemporary in style - right down to the somewhat offputting bathrooms mentioned by other reviewers! Foruntately style did not triumph over comfort. Food (we only had breakfast there) is fine, the staff too. We did find the place a bit quiet, but that added to the sense of being out of the hubbub of the city centre. Overall, I'd recommend it to others."

• Travel date: 5th January 2006

Vinnci Condal "Ghetto"

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"Oh dear. This is what happens when you let Internet pictures get the better of you. My wife and I are on the final leg of our honeymoon. All of our hotels along the way have been fantastic...except this one. This hotel is like an onion. The more you peel away at the surface...the more it stinks. When we checked in I swear we were the only guests in the hotel. Everyone from the front desk to the janitor barely spoke above a whisper. I felt bad speaking out loud. The room, was a suite. You walk in and go "wow" only when you delve a little deeper you realise its just a couple of cheap pieces of furniture and a piece of cardboard on cement for a bed. I kid you not. You're lucky to get 30 minutes of sleep at night. So you walk around the room and assess the situation and while you may be tempted to open the curtains...don't...for what awaits you outside is hilarous. When I opened my first curtain in my top floor suite I found 3 construction workers about 10 meters away keeping themselves warm burning stuff in a rusty barrell. I swear I heard a gun shot and a scream but maybe my imagination got the better of me. "American Breakfast" they call it. It was a LEAST minus 5 degrees in the restuarant...my wife and I "being the only guests it seems" were freezing so much are cutlery would make a "clanking" sound as we ate...Most unenjoyable. Armed with the required courage...we braved the outdoors. This is no picture perfect setting mind you. I have photos that I will post in a later review. I just can't cover it all here and don't want to loose you as a reader. Please, don't make the same mistake we did. If you're looking for a bargain, try a 3 star in the city...this area is run down, brown and grey which gets you depressed. It may seem all I'm doing is complaining but trust me, it deserved it. No ironing board? Are you serious?"

• Travel date: 23rd December 2005

nice hotel, dont believe the bad reviews!

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"The vincci condal mar is a really nice, modern hotel.Yes its in an area in need of some regeneration, but once your inside its very stylish and a relaxing place to be.The rooms were really nice too,also modern and very comfortable.The strange part was the door to the bathroom which was a seethrough glass door!thats ok if its just yourself, but we were in a triple room(so no privacy).Breakfast was ok and the staff when needed were very helpful.The view from the roof where the pool is, is very nice too. The hotel is only 5 minutes walk from the nearest metro(selva de mar)then its only a few minutes to the city centre.The area seemed very safe to me and was well lit all the way to the hotel.All in all Barcelona is a wonderful place to visit and using this hotel as a starting place is no bad thing.It doesnt really matter that its not in the centre of the city, it has a very good public transport system."

• Travel date: 8th December 2005

Fantastic Room, Disapointing Location

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"We booked for a weekend and got a fantastic deal on a junior suite. The room was excellent. Spacious, clean, modern, with lots of freebies. The staff did their job but didnt excel. The main let down with this Hotel is the location. Lets just say it was rather like being in the middle of an abandoned industrial site. The underground is only 5 minutes walk though, but I wouldn`t recommend walking back at night. All said, we had a great weekend in Barcelona, and for the money we paid for the room (£80 per night) it was great value. Put it this way, if they could pick this Hotel up and move it to the marina the cost would easily triple !!"

• Travel date: 17th November 2005

Fancy design in less appealing area

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"We opted for this hotel for a long-weekend in Barcelona, as it looked like a reasonably priced treat. The hotel in itself is a good place to be with some interesting design features and comfortable rooms. The interior is very much contemporary design, although quite dark and heavy. The staff is friendly and helpful and the room was exceptionally clean. However, considering the fact that the hotel only opened earlier this year, I was a bit concerened that the AC was broken when we arrived (it was fixed after my second call to reception) and the shower flooded the bathroom every time we used it. Although we were all in all pleased with the room and the service, location is the explanation to why this "trendy" hotel is so affordable. Quite differently to any place I have ever stayed in before, this is a posh looking hotel slap bang in the middle of a mixture of old workshops/old yards and construction sites. It doesn't look very pretty, but during the day and early evenings we felt safe enough walking around. Taxi would be the only option for late night travel (appr. 15 Euros into the city centre) for us. On the positive side we were delighted to discover that only 5 minutes walk away there is a huge shopping mall, which also has a great variety of food outlets and a couple of restaurants. From there you can also catch the Metro into town (5-6 stops away), which we did during the day. All in all I would say I enjoyed my stay, but if you are after late-night partying in central Barcelona this is not the best option."

• Travel date: 9th November 2005

Good hotel

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"We chose this hotel because it seemed good value for money and although it was not in the centre of Barcelona it is only five or six stops away on the metro from Las Ramblas. The room was spotlessly clean and contrary to some other reviews I had read before staying in this hotel, the service was excellent and the staff were more than helpful with any queries that we had. The breakfast buffet was very good and we never had to wait for a table. However, there are a few things that we were not so happy with. We ate in the restauarant the first night we arrived, but found that the food was not that great and it was over-priced. Two stops away from the hotel is the Olympic village and port and I would strongly recommend eating there as there are a wide variety of restaurants to suit all tastes. Also, the hotel is not in a very good area, although it was quiet enough I did hold on to my handbag very tightly on the way back to the hotel in the evening! All in all, a good hotel to use as a base for seeing the city."

• Travel date: 6th November 2005

Fab Hotel

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"We were told about this hotel by the ryanair hotel website. It opened early in 2005 and the rooms are great, clean, large and well maintained. It is slightly out of the city centre but the metro and bus are about 5 mins walk as is the Diagonal MAr shopping centre. Good breakfast buffet. Rooms very quiet. We needed 2 rooms for 3 nights and paid £360 in total."

• Travel date: 1st November 2005

Don't stay here!

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"After looking on the website at the hotel images we found a really good deal with 100Euros per night. So we were hoping for something great. The taxi journey to the hotel cost 25 euros which was very expensive. What we realised was that the hotel was very far and in a run down area. It is a good hour and half to try to walk...any nothing to see for at least 40 minutes. When we arrived at the hotel we were very disapointed with the service. The staff were not very friendly or happy to communicate with us. they took our details and gave our key within a couple of minutes. there was no information given about facilites or breakfast. the hotel was modern but service very poor. The room we got was on the balony over looking the bar. Which we realised was not ideal as the noise from the bar echoed until 1am.... when we rang down to complain we spoke to someone that couldn't speak or understand english but instead for the phone to be put down. I would advise anyone looking at a great time in BArcelona NOT to stay here..... We were so disapointed that we checked out the following day and found the Hotel Royal on La Rambla facing the street. This hotel was more expensive and basic but at least we saw people and were in the heart of the city. If you do plan to stay at this hotel, make sure you speak spanish,check your room for loose wires and make sure your room is not facing the bar.The other thing you should double check is the building work going on as you will be woken up at 7am!! Glad to have moved!!"

• Travel date: 6th October 2005

Great value but a few drawbacks

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"I went to this hotel with 11 friends, and we got a great deal on the rooms. The Vincci Condal Mar is almost brand new, modern and well equipped, but sticks out like a sore thumb in a rather rundown area. Clearly the area is being developed but at the moment the hotel is surrounded by cranes and empty buildings.It is about ten mins walk from the nearest Metro station, and then a few mins train ride into the centre.The service is OK, although we had a wait for a table at breakfast because none of them had been cleared and there were no staff available to do it. The staff aren't particularly friendly but no real problems. The room was very nice although there was only 1 mirror - a problem for 3 girls sharing! Overall a great value hotel but don't go expecting perfection - you get what you pay for."

• Travel date: 3rd October 2005

Hotels near Hotel Barcelona Condal Mar By Melia

Hotel Barcelona Condal Mar By Melia is also called

• Vincci Condal Mar
  • vincci hotel barcelona
  • vincci hotel condal mar