Nobu Umi Suite

Good

Barcelona is a wonderful city, (I don't ...

Reviewed 29th January 2006

"Barcelona is a wonderful city, (I don't normally like cities). We found the local people to be very friendly & helpful. The Torre Catalunya was a superb choice, while we were there it was our Ruby wedding anniversary, in normal chat with a member of staff this came out. We were immediately upgraded to a suite, on returning from a trip downtown there was a bottle of champagne & chocolate covered strawberries in the room, with the hotel compliments. To be honest we were treated like royalty, needless to say we will be returning. If you visit Barcelona I can also recommend a short train journey to Gerona a fabulous gem for a day out."

• Travel date: 29th January 2006

An absolute pleasure. I had been to Barc...

Reviewed 13th January 2006

"An absolute pleasure. I had been to Barcelona once before in the middle of winter, and while it was still a very nice trip concentrating on the cultural face of the city, Barcelona is very much a city to be experienced in the summer. It's size, large but with a fairly concentrated centre, make it a perfect place to idly wander on a warm late-summers' day. The food was splendid (particularly at one of the outdoor tables at the beachfront restaurant Bestial - booking essential), as was the drink (of which a not inconsiderable amount was imbibed at various street-side cafe's). I would recommend getting off the beaten tourist track and heading to areas that the locals frequent, as you can effectively halve your eating and entertainment costs by doing this. Our hotel, Torre Catalunya was superb; a four-star hotel which we got a last minute deal on for a double at £50/night. Housed in a very tall building, the hotel has its dining room on the top floor, and so we were afforded a splendid view of downtown Barcelona over breakfast. The rooms were clean and well appointed, and the ensuite was marvellous. Definitely earns it's star rating. Barcelona is a place to spend some time. Give it a week rather than a weekend, and take the time to check out some of the areas outside of Las Ramblas or the waterfront. Of particular merit is a daytrip to the mountaintop monastery of Montserrat: a small detour out of Barcelona you won't regret."

• Travel date: 13th January 2006

My Birthday meal

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"I havnt stayed at this hotel but while staying in Barcelona my wife took me to the Torres for a meal on my birthday. The views are astounding and we were given a table with excellent views of the Magic Fountains which started performing at 21.00 hrs and the show was spectacular. The food was excellent and the staff were extremely helpfull and also very knowledgeable about the menus, wine and food. I am a qualifed Chef and my wife and I have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world including what is listed as THE best restaurant in the world at the moment by renowned Chefs, The Fat Duck in Bray, UK and found the food and service in The Torres to be of an extremely high standard. This hotel is NOT situated in a run-down area of Barcelona as a previous reviewer has stated."

• Travel date: 21st August 2005

I was impressed!

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"On arrival at the hotel we were escorted to our room immediately. We were given a corner room on the 12th floor which gave us excellent views of the city. I considered our room to be spacious, modern and very well presented. The bed was comfortable, there was a large widescreen TV, a stereo, mini bar and tea/coffee, kettle, ironing board and hairdryer. Tucked away in one of the cupboards were 2 pairs of new slippers and 2 new bathrobes. The bathroom was impressive I thought. We had two large sinks, a walk in wet/shower room, a large bath tub and a seperate toilet, all tiled with marble. Our breakfast was included within our room rate which worked out at about £70 per night. There was a big selection at breakfast including lots of bread, cakes and pastries, meat and fish, tortilla espanola, a selection of fruits, jam, honey. Scrambled eggs, mushrooms and sausages were available from the hot plate. As a vegan I struggled to eat a good breakfast as I had to make do with fruit and bread which did get dull after a few days but that is generally the case wherever I stay. I thought the views from the restaurant were fantastic. The sauna and gym on the basement floor is free to use but I can't really comment on it as we did not use it. All the staff were friendly and helpful, particularly the cleaners who kept adding more pillows and towels to our rooms each afternoon. At checkout we were allowed to stay for an extra couple of hours for free and then we were able to leave our luggage at the hotel until it was time to go to the airport. I liked the location of the hotel as it was convenient for 2 metro stations (only 2 mins away) and it was also close to many attractions such as Mont Juic, Olympic Stadium, Nou Camp Stadium, and only a 5 min walk from the amazing coloured fountains at Placa d'Espanya. It was also easy to travel to the busier areas by Port Vel, The Ramblas and Place Catalunya - just one metro ride lasting about 10 minutes. I loved my stay here. The only negative point that I have to make is that the noise from the traffic outside was distracting early in the morning. It was hard to get a lie in past 8am. I would definitely stay here again but I would take some ear plugs next time."

• Travel date: 14th August 2005

Fine for a short break, and take ear-plugs just in case!

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"I stayed 8 days at the Torre Catalunya. It is a business-oriented hotel in a major city, on a busy main road, 200 yds from the main railway station, so the scenery and traffic noise are those of the city. NOTE: the area is NOT run-down or vanadalised, as suggested by another reviewer. My 'internet bargain' room was on the 3rd floor, so the traffic noise was bad, but I went prepared - wax ear-protectors did the trick. Wardrobe (closet) space OK for short stays - just 6 coat-hangers! King size bed firm but comfortable, foam rubber pillows not so good. Big wide-screen TV, 36 channels, with just Sky News and CNN for us Brits. Excellent air-con. Free mini-safe in room. Except for the irritable youth in charge of the small basement Spa, I found all the staff friendly. A few words of Spanish always help to 'break the ice'. Forget breakfast at 14 euros (+ tax) unless you want to pig out. The supermarket next door has a cafe and the friendly staff speak some English. I would recommend this hotel but only for short breaks. For luxury at little extra cost, try the Fira Palace when it has special offers."

• Travel date: 3rd August 2005

A great base for seeing Barcelona!

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"My husband, myself and our teenage daughter stayed here for one night whist on a short "taster" visit to Barcelona. We were actually holidaying down the Spanish coast but took a train to Barcelona and booked this hotel overnight so that we could stay for 2 days of sightseeing. The hotel isn't located in the prettiest part of the city, I have to admit, but it is extremely convenient for anyone arriving at Barcelona-Sants station - the hotel is immediately across the road as you leave the station. The hotel entrance/foyer/bar area is pleasant and what I expect of a typical 4 star hotel. I had booked 2 rooms and asked for them to be close together (the hotel didn't seem to accommodate 3 people in one room so I booked a separate room for our daughter) which the hotel managed to arrange without any problems. The rooms were both on the 8th floor and, even though they looked out over a main road and towards the train station, none of us were disturbed by any noise from traffic (or anywhere else for that matter!). The rooms were well furnished, even though I was a little surprised to find twin beds in what I understood to be double rooms (usually with double beds?) - but this was not too much of a problem. The rooms had all the usual 4 star attributes - TV, mini bar, desk, air conditioning (which was very quiet compared to some systems we have had to endure!), etc. and were also equipped with the most spectacular bathrooms! Lots of frosted glass, beautiful tiles, a huge walk-in shower as well as an over-the-bath shower and even a telephone and a speaker in the bathroom so there was no excuse at all to miss out on anything! Breakfast was included in our £65 per room per night rate and, again, was pretty much standard 4 star fare with cereals, fruit, pastries and a decent range of hot food - bacon, sausages, eggs, beans, etc. However, even though breakfast was very good it was pretty much overshadowed by the fantastic views over Barcelona from the restaurant which is based on the 23rd floor! We enjoyed our brief sightseeing visit to Barcelona and found the hotel very easy to get back to using the metro underground service which stops at the train station directly across the road. We will be heading back to Barcelona soon for a more in-depth visit and will definitely book this hotel again."

• Travel date: 2nd August 2005

Nothing spectacular

Reviewed 16th October 2012

"I too booked this hotel because of the favourable reviews it got. The hotel is easy to find but not in a great location the advantage is the main train station is right opposite it. Our room was nice but saw no sign of slippers, bathrobes as mentioned in previous reviews. One of the nights we went to the 'fabulous' restaurant upstairs - a disappointing experience. The views aren't worth the money and the meal was so disappointing and the portions were so small! There are not many decent restaurant or shops around the surrounding area. The hotel is clean and new but I would have preferred somewhere more central as it is very tiring always using the metro system to get to the sights!"

• Travel date: 1st August 2005

Awful area/noisy/bad food/dont believe the other reviews

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"This was an awful experience I will never repeat. I actually checked tripfinder before I went and all the reviews were positive, shame noone told the truth about some factors which were definetely not unique to my stay only. I feel dutybound to stop you frOm making this mistake. Firstly the area of this hotel is disgusting. It is accesible from the airport BUT it is a rundown/dirty/vandalized part of town. The hotel is completely out of place to its surroundings. My heart sank. My room faced the disgusting EXPO hotel, so my view consisted of them sunbathing on the rooftop (also awful) of the EXPO.I asked to be moved and they moved me to floor 6.they donwgraded my room without telling me. I later realised that my new room had no teamaking facilities or slippers etc. My room was so noisy at night as it now faced the main busy at all times road. it was impossible to sleep. the windows must have been paper thin. i was so upset that i asked to be moved again. This time my room was next door to the noisy laundry room and above a room with a balcony, so i heard the drunken yobs below (word for word) conversation until 5a.m. In between all of this I tried the restaurant. The view is ok, but the food is not good at all. the people writing the other reviews have obviosuly not tasted good quality food as this wasnt even average. Let me also tell you that the room service was slow.The pizza's tasted like rubber. Dont use the lounge downstairs, they dont serve you for hours. Clearly customer service is not a strong priority. bREAKFAST IS not included in price. DONT PAY FOR THIS. It is far too expensive and the range is completely minimal. jsut cant believe it was a cold breakfast. The management did move me to different rooms on 3 occasions, thats one move per night since i began my stay.its a shame they didnt value my custom enough to consider moving me to a slightly less noisy room. thats all i asked for. I ended up losing money on ,my flight coz i returned home early, i booked out on 3rd night and went back to uk. This was the worst 4 star ever. Dont book it. It is a complete waste. I relied on trip finder reviews. None of them mentuioned the awful area and bad service and food. I have stayed in many hotels worldwide and this was the worst. I hardly ever complain and they brought out the worst in me. In short - unless you book a very high room (floor 23) you hear the yraffic noise. The higher rooms costs more. For the price and area they should include breakfast at least. Nosiy/bad service/bad area/bad staff."

• Travel date: 20th July 2005

Fabulous accommodations and service

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"This is the only hotel for me in Barcelona. Me and my wife stayed here the night before our Mediterranean cruise. Because of earlier reviews I read suggested staying on floors 17 and above for the views, I requested just that and received a no cost no hassle upgrade to a suite on the 23rd floor with a view of the Olympic Park. The attendant explained that they wanted us to stay with them again in the future. With that kind of service, I’ll stay nowhere else."

• Travel date: 17th July 2005

FANTASTIC FANTASTIC FANTASTIC!!!

Reviewed 11th October 2012

"After travelling around for the past 12 months, and staying in some pretty dodgy places, I have become pretty fussy when it comes to booking hotels. This hotel lived up to every bit of my expectations...plus more! The location is fantastic, its so simple and quick to get to from the airport on the train. It took I think around 10 minutes, no changing, and when you leave the station (provided you walk out to right exit), the hotel can be seen right accross the road. The rooms themselves were absolutely massive. They were so modern and clean, (no ugly carpet to match the curtains) with a huge flat screen tv. The bathroom was more than good enough (and large), with all the added little extras like razor kits, toothbrush, shampoo ect. Even had bath robes and slippers just to make you feel that much more comfortable. Seperate shower/bath, little room inside the bathroom itself for the toilet. The breakfast is also well worth the effort, if not just for the view as the restaurant is on one of the top floors that overlooks the city. The food was constantly being brought out fresh, with pastries/cereals/cheeses/breads/hot foods/cold salmon and meats. (the fruit slices were just gorgeous!) The staff were more than friendly and helpful - and spoke perfect english to make it easier. The location, although a little out of the city area, still isnt too far away. If you have time, check out all the little backstreets surrounding the hotel and Sants station. Also, the hop on open top bus tour leaves from Sants station, right outside the hotel! So if your there for sightseeing, this will also return you back there...very handy! Id most deffinantly stay there again! Its going to be hard to find another hotel in this price range to match up to this on my further travels through europe!"

• Travel date: 8th July 2005

nice place to stay

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"My husband and I were there for business and pleasure. You will find the hotel very modern and very comfortable. The staff eager to please. Everyone speaks English. The room was very clean. They do not give you wash cloths. The restaurant was elegant with an incredible view of Barcelona. The food was quite good. Unfortunately, the location of the hotel, is away from most of the tourist sites. You can take a metro, ugg, or a cab or walk a great deal. There are hardly any restaurants in the area, just Tapas places with a lot of fried food, which did not interest us at all. The weather is very hot and you need to buy water to keep hydrated. The hotel is located about a half block away from the Sants train station which is a hub if you expect to travel or use the metro. My recommendation is to go on the tourist bus which stops outside the Sants train station and cost about 18 euros and get a good tour of the area. you can get off the bus at any time and switch for other tourist buses and get to see all of Barcelona. The bus is not air conditioned but you can sit on the top , which is open to the air and get a breeze unless you get stuck in traffic. The tourist bus has a guide that tell you about the places at each stop."

• Travel date: 23rd June 2005

Good 4-star quality

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"My husband and I booked the hotel through Alpharooms in mid-June, 2005. The hotel has a nice location right opposite Barcelona's main railway station (Sants), so the trip from the airport to the hotel is super easy (only takes 20 minutes by train). There is a hipermercat (huge supermarket) right by the hotel. The hotel looks a bit dated on the outside, but the indoor decor is new. The rooms are very clean. According to European standards, they are also quite spacious. We stayed on the 8th floor, so we had no problems with street noise, but I must say that the noise from the hallway during Friday night got quite intolerable. Drunken people knocking on doors and shouting to each other was not all that wonderful to listen to. However, we did not hear any noise from adjacent rooms. The marble bathroom is spacious, with a separate area for a toilet, a shower and a bathtub. There are two sinks which makes it easy for two people to share the bathroom. There are not all that many English TV channels to choose from (mostly just news channels), and no pay-tv -option. There is a CD player... nice to listen to while taking a relaxing bath after a day out. We enjoyed the hotel's top-floor restaurant with amazing panoramic views on two occasions - for an extended, delicious (!) buffet breakfast and a romantic dinner in the evening. The food was awesome and the views are really worth seeing after dark as well. The restaurant staff is very courteous and attentive. It takes only 10 minutes to the center of Barcelona by metro (from Sants), so the location is quite ideal. It is worth buying a travel card with unlimited metro, train and bus rides - convenient and inexpensive. All in all, I would recommend this hotel to anyone hoping for a pleasant stay at a convenient location in Barcelona. We'd definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: 20th June 2005

Hotels near Nobu Hotel Barcelona

Nobu Hotel Barcelona is also called

• Torre Catalunya Hotel
  • gran hotel barcelona
  • gran hotel torre catalunya