Premium Sea View Room

• hot tub
  • evening entertainment
  • rooftop pool

Good

"Everything possible" - but nothing was

Reviewed 21st October 2012

"Spent two nights here before a cruise. I had some trepidation about staying so far away from the center of town, but the intro rate was so good that I decided to go for the five star luxury at a three star price. First, the room. Great view, nice amenities, but you almost need to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to turn on and off each light, work the thermostat, open the blinds, etc. Lots and lots of buttons. We gave up on one neon sculpture int he corner and finally just unplugged it from the wall. The bathroom is divided from the bedroom by a clear mirror - no privacy, and forget using it during the night without waking your partner, the lights are really bright. The shower is huge, but there is no shelf to put your soap and shampoo on, you need to put it all on the floor. Next, transportation. As previously mentioned, the only metro stop is a five to ten minute walk, then a fifteen minute ride to either of two stops, in the central area. If you're going to the ramblas, you've still got a walk ahead of you. The alleged courtesy shuttle doesn't run most of the time. We were told it only runs on Friday and Saturday, and only until 8:30 at night. We tried to take it back to the hotel on Saturday night, and it never showed up. Stood in front of the Hard Rock Cafe for over half an hour waiting, finally gave up and took a taxi, which cost us about l5 euros. Hotel services. The free breakfast was excellent, lots of choices, although it would be nice not to have to make your own coffee. The bar, club, and restaurant were all closed during our stay. Too cold for the pool, but it looked nice, although who goes to Barcelona to sit by a pool? The phone service needs some work. There is no house phone downstairs, so if someone wants to call your room from the lobby, they need to borrow a cell phone from one of the receptionists to reach you. There is no voice mail on the room phones, so I could not leave a message for friends staying in another room. Staff. The staff was terrific, or at least they tried. When we complained about waiting for the shuttle that never came they apologized, but never offered to pay for our cab. Whenever we were in the lobby, someone always approached to ask if they could do anything for us. The concierge was anxious to help with whatever we asked, and gave good suggestions. In my opinion, this is a beautiful hotel in a very remote location without easy access to the city. If you don't mind the location, or the lack of privacy in the room, and the price is right, go for it. We were there the end of October and the place was empty. The staff admitted that they are having trouble booking the property because of the location so I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to offer discounts."

• Travel date: 10th November 2008

Too good

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"I was for a week with my Husband Hotel in Barcelona and I got imprecionados with everyone and everything ... and this has made us feel at home. There were so many good things and so many positive points that we do not know where to start ... We were welcomed with a big smile and general information in relation to services in the hotel reception. And coming to our room (beautiful by the way) we feel happy by choice. Once decemos to take our coffee and find a full buffet and very good taste. With a coffee quality and not the type of coffee in vacuum as we have seen on other occasions. And one of the things we called our attention was that the 3rd day in length by our name (imprecionante). We also had the opportunity to dine in the restaurant Sky, which were attended by people super friendly. Enjoying the moment I would like to thank all the attention given by Miss Marcia and Mr Dani of conserreria, we estiverão helping to decide a place to go on our last night. Thank you and until next year!"

• Travel date: 6th November 2008

Fantastic Hotel

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"I stayed at the ME Barcelona for two nights in October with my partner. On arriving at the hotel by taxi, a member of staff from the ME came straight to our taxi and helped me out and took our bags inside. Checking in was very quick and we were told that our bags will be brought up to the room. Our room was very nice, it had a flat screen TV, mini bar, iPod docking station and a panel by the side of the bed that controlled mostly everything from the curtains opening to the lights being dimmed. I did read in another review that the showers were small, they are not small but I wouldn’t describe it as a 'rain shower' more like a large shower with a large shower head, but was still very nice all the same. You could see straight through from the bedroom to the bathroom but there is a mirrored panel that could be closed half way across, so you can’t really see much at all if you didn’t want to. You can ring 0 on the telephone for 'Anything Possible', I didn’t realise that when they answered the phone they did actually say, "Anything possible line, what can I help you with today". The roof top pool was very nice, although it was too cold to go in. Breakfast was fantastic, I’m not a fan of continental breakfasts normally but they had such a varied choice I think anyone would enjoy it. The hotel is a bit out of the way but it does offer a free bus service into Las Ramblas on the hour and returns on the half hour. It was a wondeful break andI would defiantly visit this hotel again."

• Travel date: 21st October 2008

Great hotel

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"The hotel has what you would expect from a five star rating. The staff is helpful, the inside is trendy and very clean, quiet rooms, and excellent breakfast. However, they are not located right in the center of the city but easy to get to by bus 62 with a stop a couple of steps away or the Tramline. Also, the views from our room were not astonishing due to construction in the area. Overall, I loved staying there and do recommend it."

• Travel date: 21st October 2008

Supercool sleek - ME strikes gold again!

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"Having visited the spectacular rooftop bar at ME Madrid last summer, and knowing the high nightly rates this hotel commands, I was delighted to find availability for my partner's birthday at the brand new ME Barcelona, at an "opening special" price. ME have clearly struck gold at this cooler than cool hotel, with the best service I have experienced in 6 years of living in Spain. We were enthusiastically met from the taxi, checked in, shown around our room by the good-looking suited and booted young staff and instructed to call their dedicated "Anything is Possible" line 0 for "anything" we required. Yes, the hotel is slightly out from the Ramblas but only around 7-8 Euros in a cab. However, as a ME guest you don't have to worry about that - just jump in the swish courtesy bus which takes you into town on the hour and brings you back on the half hour. Our room was on the 17th floor with incredible views over the Sagrada Familia. We had a plasma tv, free wifi, an i-dock and Aveda toiletries as well as nice fluffy robes and slippers. Yet to open during our stay was the 6th floor semi-rooftop pool and bar which are going to be amazing and, location aside, look set to rival ME Madrid's Penthouse Bar. The lobby/bar had dj's at night with fashion shows projected onto the walls and incredible lighting, and the breakfast was so trendy you did not know whether to eat it or photograph it. Best ever cocktail was the vodka, champagne and fresh berry concoction, great whilst waiting for a cab to take us out at night! Although prices have already gone up, this was a truly memorable experience one I highly recommended."

• Travel date: 9th October 2008

Ultra modern hotel

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"The hotel is ultra modern and promotes a 'sexy' image. However, myself and my companion - 2 middle aged ladies and neither young nor 'sexy' enjoyed our 3 nights at the hotel. The staff couldn't do enough for us. Alex at the check-in was very helpful as were all the other front desk staff. The rooms were clean and comfortable with excellent sea views and the bathroom had a tub and separate shower and there was plenty of hot water at all times with good pressure - everything worked and there was no 'pungent odour' that I read about in another review of the hotel. One 'quirky' thing however - there was a window from the bedroom into the bathroom - I didn't like this as there was no privacy in the bathroom - this might be OK for couples but we were 2 ladies sharing a twin room. The 'all you can eat' buffet breakfasts were truly 5 star. An excellent assortment of freshly squeezed juices, fruit, yogurts, cereals, etc. and a variety of freshly baked breads, croissants and pastries with good coffee and a large range of teas. You could also order from the menu (eggs, bacon, sausage, etc.) and there was even wine - possibly for those requiring the 'hair of the dog' ! The hotel is still under construction and the spa and pool lounge are being built. We were able to use the swimming pool and lounge area and thoroughly enjoyed this after a day of site-seeing. The hotel is a bit remote from the hussle and bustle of Las Ramblas but the Metro is a 5 minute walk and then it is 6 stops on the yellow line to Uriquinaya - near Plaza Catalyan- a total of 20 minutes from the hotel to the main tourist area - which isn't bad. Buy a 10 ticket book of tickets - only €7.30. There is a free courtesy bus to and from the hotel to the main tourist area that leaves on the hour from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm which is an excellent service and the driver is very accommodating in trying to drop you off where you want to go. We didn't eat at the restaurant on the 24th floor but it was booked out for the weekend we were there so it must be OK. All in all, good value for money but I think we got a good price because the hotel is not 100% complete. No complaints and if you don't mind not being 'downtown' - go for it!"

• Travel date: 8th October 2008

Not 5 star yet

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"My husband and I stayed ME Barcelona for 4 nights in September. We were allocated a room without a bath tab but thought we would be okay since we were going to use the spa facilities. But we found out that none of the facilities were working - we complained about it to the hotel and they immediately changed a room (a bigger and better view with a bath tab!) for us. We requested a few things and hotel staffs always responded quickly. They also let us stay till 5 pm without extra charge. Breakfast was nice. The location is not too bad - 10 min walk to the closest subway station (Poblenou), 10 min to the beach, 15 min to the shopping mall (Glories). The subway system in Barcelona is very good so it was easy to get to anywhere. This hotel is very comtemporary in every aspect so if you'd like to stay somewhere that make you feel at home with warm welcoming then this hotel is not for you. And I don't recommend this hotel for family with very young children."

• Travel date: 8th October 2008

The worst 5 star hotel yet

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"If you book this hotel be sure to ring the hotel to ask what facilities are working. We have just spent 10 nights here and the spa, steam room etc were all out of action. The rooms smelled bad because the (grey) water used for the toilet flush was not treated properly - smelled like drains - very pungent and probably unhealthy. We were told that there was nothing the hotel could do. The lifts broke down one day - we were on the 21st floor - enough said. Another day we were trapped in the lift - frightening! The fire alarm system appeared to be out of action for the first 3 days and the fire escape routes were cluttered with combustible materials. These were various pictures yet to be put up in the hallways. Every day we had to telephone for some problems - no coffee top up in the room - no bathrobe - no tissues - TV not working - room safe not working etc. One day we returned to our car in the basement car park to find it damaged. By the way, the parking charge is 25 euros per day - not advertised on the website. Any positives - yes, my wife got a lovely bunch of flowers on her birthday, some cake and fizz to drink. The views from floor 21 are stunning. However - having spent the whole stay arguing about the appalling service we would certainly not recommend this hotel. The hotel promises an "unforgettable experience". We will be trying to forget our experience and will never return. We were compensated by not being charged for the car park and 20% off the bill - hardly enough to compensate for a ruined "luxury" holiday!!"

• Travel date: 28th September 2008

If you book this hotel be sure to ring t...

Reviewed 27th September 2008

• Travel date: 27th September 2008

Great ME in Barcelona

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Wonderful Hotel. Great Service. Great Room. Location is nice but rather distant from the center of all tourist activities in Barcelona. Quite location and great place to walk, excercise and just enjoy suburban Barcelona. Indeed, I would stay there again."

• Travel date: 23rd September 2008

Great Hotel

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the ME Barcelona for 4 nights in Sept. The hotel is about 10 min walk from a tube stop so it is really easy to get to from the Airport. We got the overground and then the underground for about 5 Euro. The hotel is really impressive to look at (30 storeys) and can be easily seen from the tube which made it easy to find. On arrival at the hotel, we were greeted by friendly staff who showed us to our room. We were on the 13th floor and had a great sea view. The rooms are modern and fresh with bath, shower, plasma TV, ipod, mini bar etc. The curtains are electric so you can wake up in the morn and press the button and then have fantastic views. Pool is on the 6th floor so again, good views. Prices of drinks are typical of a 5* hotel. Glass of wine 5 euro and bottle of beer 5. Food bit more expensive with a main course being around 20 euro. We did not eat in the hotel as there were so many great typically Spanish restaurants within 10 min walk. Here you could have a meal with wine for 30 euros. Beach is about 20 min walk. Choice of beaches with a few bars. If you walk further up the beach you get to the marina with trendy bars and then further up is Las Ramblas which takes about 45 mins. Cathedral can be seen from the hotel and took us about 40 mins to walk to. We thought the hotel is in a great location as it is close to the main area of the city and the beach but is also good that it is in a really traditional area so you feel like you are really in Spain. I would recommend the ME Barcelona and we would definately go back."

• Travel date: 14th September 2008