About Ilunion Barcelona

• italian amenities
  • sun terrace
  • soundproof rooms
  • bicycle rental
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • spanish amenities
  • desk
  • complimentary toiletries
  • paid private parking on site
  • babysitting
  • solarium
  • blackout curtains
  • rooftop pool
  • catalan amenities

Good

3 course meals for €9 (but not in the hotel)

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"Whilst this hotel is not in the city centre, it is in a great little area, and not that far from the beach (200 or 300 yards). Between the Llacuna metro station and the hotel there seemed to be a bar, cafe, or restaurant on every corner.

After checking in at the hotel after an early flight, we were quite hungry and set off for some lunch. Turning left out of the hotel (towards the beach), along Carrer de la Llacuna, at the very next corner we found the bar Terra Mar. This was advertising what appeared to be a two course meal for €9. However, at the bottom of the menu it said something about "pan, bebidos, postres". It turned out that meant that bread, drinks, and afters were included, so a three course meal with drinks (and bread) was enjoyed for just €9 each .

The menu was on one board outside and on a blackboard inside and (of course) was in Catalan (or maybe Spanish - I'm not quite sure which). We tried to ask what the meals were, and as the proprietor didn't speak English, he took us to the kitchen door and pointed out the various meals as best he could, and the cook even gave us a taster!

We had the first of several very enjoyable meals in venues around and about. This one appeared to be very much a locals bar and on that occasion all the other customers happened to be male.

On another occasion we ate at Rosat's on Carre de la Creu Coberta near to a stop (but on the other side of the road) on the blue route on the Bus Turistic (the open top bus). This is the stop after Estacio be Sants, and near to the Mercat Hostafrancs.

We ate in the Poblenou area several times. Turn right (back on yourself effectively) out of the hotel along Carrer de Ramon Turro. The very next street you meet is Rambla del Poblenou. At this roundabout there is a patisserie with a few tables to sit in on the first left corner, worth a visit for a morning snack (you could even get a bacon sandwich!). On the first right corner there is another patisserie type shop, but with more buns and sweet stuff, and also what looked like nice chocolates.

Diagonally across the roundabout, there is a cafe selling gorgeous ice creams - don't just take my word for it - look at the queues of locals there, especially in the evening.

For more substantial meals there are numerous restaurants and Tapas bars on the Rambla del Poblenou. Again, three course meals (with one drink - e.g. a beer, a can of lemonade, perhaps a glass of wine) and bread can be obtained for under €10. Some tapas bars were offering, say, five tapas dishes for a fixed price.

Venture to the next street parallel to Rambla del Poblenou and there are more shops, bars, cafes and restaurants to be found - including "Eifell" - another patisserie we enjoyed visiting. Indeed there seems to be a whole small town/village to explore all the way to the Diagonal Mar shopping centre - some parts are more built up than others.

A couple of hints on food names in Catalan - Salchichos (I seem to remember) is Spanish, but Botifarras (spelling?) is Catalan for Sausages. Cheese is Queso in Spanish, but Formatge (?) (a bit like the French Fromage) in Catalan. Bocadillos are sandwiches made with crusty baguette/french bread.

The facilities in the hotel have been well referred to. We actually used the mini-bar fridge to keep some stuff in for picnics and milk for coffee and tea (we always take our own travel kettle, being British!). I think the fridges didn't keep cold enough because they were housed in a cupboard, so the door keeps the heat from the motor in, thus reducing the efficiency of the fridge. The bottles (1 beer, 1 non-alcoholic beer, 2 juices, 1 coke, 1 diet coke, 2 fizzy water, 2 water) were replenished every day. There were also bottles of water in the fridge in the 8th floor Gym, adjacent to the rooftop pool, so there was plenty of water if needed.

I think the best way to get to know Barcelona if you haven't been before must be the open top bus routes. It's €20 for a one day ticket, but I recommend getting a two day ticket for €26. This is because there are three routes. The green route covers Poblenou and is maybe the best place to start. The nearest stop to the hotel is to turn left out of the hotel along Carrer de la Llacuna and then take the second right along Passeig del Taulat. On your left is a Cemetery. Pass two streets on your right and the road bends to the left around the front of the cemetery. In front of the cemetery turn right to cross the street in front of the cemetery and walk forward to come to the next street, where you should find the tourist bus stop. There are stops for the green route and the blue route (not sure if it was one stop or two).

P.S. Otherwise get around Barcelona using a T10 card on the metro etc - more than one person can use the same card and you get 10 journeys for €7.20 - far cheaper than, say, the London Underground. You can even get to and from the airport with just one journey each on this card, but the "change" at Passeig de Gracia is hell with a heavy suitcase, and continental railways with very low platforms don't help we pampered British.

I don't think I'd bother with a "Barcelona Card" - it sounds like an expensive discount card.

Finally, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. We had a fantastic week!"

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of July 2008

Excellent value for money

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We stayed for 3 nights at this hotel in July 2008. This hotel has been well reviewed on Trip Advisor and on the whole has had very good reviews. I'd agree with the majority of the comments, the main advantage is the value for money, it is very reasonable as finding a hotel in barcelona which is correctly priced, nice/clean and in a decent location can be hard.

I didn't find the staff unfriendly at all, but we were there during the week so maybe they change at weekends, plus I have some Spanish so that helps.

The internet access is indeed free as is the bar (re-stocked daily) it's a really great touch.

My only negative comments would be that the air conditioning was a bit noisy (but that is really common even in the 5 star hotels) and we'd asked for a double bed but got two single beds pushed together. To be honest though inspite of these tiny and very minor 'irritations' we thought that the hotel was fabulous and wouldn't hesitate to return or to recommend it to anyone.

We didn't have breakfast in the hotel- instead we turned right out of the hotel and ate on the cobbled street nearby. The breakfasts and tapas dinners were great. We didn't use the taxis either because the metro is nearby and we also walked pretty much everywhere."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of July 2008

Great hotel but let down by the staff

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"I really enjoyed my first ever trip to Barcelona and was pleasantly surprised when we were dropped off in our taxi outside the Confortel Barcelona. it has a very clean and modern interior, however 1 of the 2 rooms we were meant to be booked into were not ready upon our arrival and we were told that we would have to wait until after 2pm.
We took a stroll to the beach which was very closeby and enjoyed a lovely jug of Sangria and some yummy food on a beach tarverna only to find that when we arrived back to the hotel well after 2pm the room was still not ready for us and the lack of sympathy and apologies from the staff was very disappointing.
When we finally made it into our room (about 5.30pm and we had arrived at the hotel at 12.30pm )we were happy with the spacious bedroom and more than adequately sized bathroom that came complete with lovely big fresh white towels, hairdryer and a few essential toiletries.
There was the nice touch of all the rooms being supplied with a free mini bar although it was not cold enough but was refilled each morning which was great.
Despite there being a room service food and drinks menu in the room, when we attempted to order some snacks we were rudely told that there would be no food available until they began dinner at 7.30 and even then there was only the option of a set menu down in their restaurant.
The pool roof on the 8th floor was most definately the defining factor for this hotel as the view was simply fantastic and it was very spacious and fresh towels were supplied every morning.
Sitting up there sipping on a nice chilled glass of wine was heaven.
Their breakfast buffet was a nice touch and the spread was of an ample size and mostly enjoyable apart from the lack of hot dishes and cereals and large amount of chesscakes and haribo sweets which I am sure the children staying at the hotel enjoyed.
When it came to making requests for taxi bookings and recommendations for places to dine at, we found the language barrier became a slight problem as very few of the staff could understand or speak much English which is a first for me having stayed in a few hotels in my time throughout Europe.
Our return flight home was at 10pm and the hotel sadly had no option of a late checkout which meant we were out of our rooms at 12pm.
So overall, the hotel was in a good location, although it is fairly new you must remember to take a card from the reception with the address of the hotel on it to show taxi drivers as many of ours did tend to get lost from time to time. The rooms were modern, simple and clean, the pool was fantastic but sadly the staff are what really let it down for me and I don't think I will be staying there again."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of July 2008

What a great stay in this wonderful city!

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"I stayed in the Confortel Barcelona with two of my friends for a weekend away and had an absolutely amazing time.

Our stay got off to a bit of a wobbly start when we arrived and were told our room was not ready yet, but we left our suitcases behind then desk went in to town and when we got back it was ready so that wasn't too bad.
The room itself was great, quite minimal, but spacious with a lovely sized bathroom and an excellent sized bed with comfy pillows.
The minibar was free which was a nice touch (it contained 2 cokes, 4 waters and 2 beers).

I tried the breakfast once but thought it was way too pricey for what it was - definately opt for going round the corner to one of the cute bakeries where you can get a nice breakfast for a fraction of the cost.

The rooftop pool was just fantastic in my opinion Yes! It was open!) , it wasn't the largest pool in the world - but it certainly didn't seem to bother anyone there.
The beach is about 10mins down the road if you need more space to sunbathe and swim but me and my friends were very happy on the rooftop with our wine and felt very 'Sex and the City'.

The location of the hotel was close enough to everything but wasn't quite in the centre. The beach was a 10 min walk away, and the port wasn't much further, while Las Ramblas and all the shops were a mere 10 min cab ride away or if you're on a budget then I think it's only a couple of metro stops too.

Thee were a couple of other instances where the staff were a bit unhelpful, they wouldn't let me order room service but never gave me a reason and didn't seem to be entirely pleased when my friends and I had the ordacity to ask them to book a restaurant for us!
To be honest I didn't really care though, the hotel itself was nice and the city was amazing - I had the best time ever and can't wait to go back."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of July 2008

Good hotel for the price

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"Good new hotel in a great location for the beach. Just a quick warning if you are going anytime soon.......take a map with the hotel marked on with the address if you plan to take a taxi from the airport. The taxi driver i got had no clue where it was so was glad i had read this tip and took a google map.

Positives
As i said its a great location for the beach. Even town is a quick metro ride (1.30 euros for a single) if you dont fancy the walk.
There is a free mini bar (water, coke, orange juice, beer and non alcoholic beer) and the internet is also free with 3 computers on the ground floor.
The roof top area is good with a few loungers.
Some great little cafes and icecream shops just round the corner. Just look for the ones with big queues of locals!

Negatives
Get there soon since i'm not sure how long the appearance will last. Both of the bedside lamps were broken (they look like they are spotlights you can direct where ever you wish but only just hanging on by the screws). The doors and drawers in the room were badly chipped already.
There is a pool but its tiny so dont plan much swimming!
Our breakfast was included but if you dont get it included dont go since its not worth the money.
A couple of the staff in the restaurant are quite rude.....but we just got on with having a nice break."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of July 2008

Good option for non-central Barca

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"I stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip and it certainly served it's purpose for me.

LOCATION:

It's located about a 5mins walk from Llacuna metro station. From here it's about 5 stops to the Gothic Quarter/main tourist locations, and about 3 stops to the CCIB/Exhibition centre. The surrounding area is quite local/residential, so for those wanting to stay at the heart of things, this probably isn't the location for you. But for those wanting a quiet location it's great. It's no bother getting the metro though, and a cab to the city centre will only cost you less than 10 euros. There is also the Rambla Poblenu round the corner for local restaurants and a few bars (nothing heavy)

HOTEL:

Free wifi and free minibar are nice touches. The hotel is new, clean and the reception staff are very nice and helpful. The rooms have air con and have quite a modern/minimalist funky design. Due to the location, rooms are very quiet which was nice. Breakfast was buffet style and plentiful. I didn't have dinner here so can't comment on that, and whilst the menu looked tasty, it lacked a bit of atmosphere for me - I never saw anyone in there. The pool on the roof terrace is great for a quick dip, but you won't be doing laps in it as it's quite small. There are sun loungers up there, and it's a great sun-trap pretty much all day. Great views also. The gym is basically one weights machine/one running machine/one bike. But it's air conditioned and I never saw anyone in it, so I don't think you'd have a problem getting a machine to use.

SUMMARY:

If you're over for business for the CCIB/Forum it's a good option and much more reasonably priced than the other hotels around the Diagonal Mar. And if the price stays competitive I would use it again as a tourist. It's a very very nice hotel, but there are lots of options in Barca and it's the location that I think people should consider most, and whether they want to stay a bit further away from the centre (only 20mins though)."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of July 2008

Absolutely superb.

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"Now, I don't normally "gush" about anything but...

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel from 23rd 26th June 2008 on a city break - it was SUPERB.

Why?

1. It is brand spanking new - reception told us it officially opened 3 months previously - everything looked and felt fresh clean and, frankly, 5-star. Beautiful clean interiors and big, new, well designed modern rooms... I’d head there sooner rather than later because this "newness" won’t last forever

2. The pool area - again for the price we paid (at end of review), the roof top pool area was 5 star - amazing 280 degree views of Barcelona and the beach

3. 4/500 metres from the beach - just a stroll to a stunning part of the beach and the lovely beach front promenade you can follow into town

4. Free mini-bar - again, not sure this will last forever but free cokes, unlimited water and a beer or two - nice touch

5. Well priced restaurant - having eaten out a few times at frankly expensive and disappointing venues - we wished we'd done one night eating at the hotel - EUR 17 for a three course meal

Ok downsides - thinking hard....

Some people may have issues with the hotel's location - the area itself is a real community and nice (turn right out of the hotel, not left) but is a few stops out of town and the walk back from town can be a bit of a trek, taking about 35 mins - but for a fit couple, no major problem and there is always the underground 3 mins walk away and on a great line (the main one - 3 stops and 5 mins to the action) very easy.

All in all when paying.. and here comes the price....(we booked via a famous last minute website)... just £50 (UK pounds) per person per night, was frankly unbelievable - the hotel looks and feels like a £200 plus per night... we spent three days thinking "what a [-] bargain!!!" - which was nice.

Oh and ask for room 814 - great views over Barcelona and no-one between you and the pool.

10 out of 10 for value – we’ll be heading back"

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of July 2008

Would return.

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"All good, modern hotel, good facilities, free wi fi and mini bar were a nice touch. Staff very helpful and the hotel spotless at all times.

In terms of location, really depends what you are looking for. Not on the doorstep of the touristy bits, but close to the beach and 4 or 5 stops on the metro takes you towards the ramblas etc. The area surrounding the hotel is undergoing a lot of redevelopment and benefits from a number of restaurants/tapas bars that serve the local community rather than just tourists.

Would definately recomend as taking everything into account it represents good value for money."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of June 2008

Love this hotel - in a great bohemian district!

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"I've got to say we absolutely loved this hotel and the district of Barcelona in which it's situated. It's close to the beach and the wide, pedestrianised walkway which leads to Port Olimpic and the attractions of Port Vell. It's also close to Tapas Bars and various other small eateries where you can get breakfast or an evening meal for a really resonable price. The hotel itself is very modern and clean with great rooms and lovely bathrooms. The double bed was large and very comfortable whilst the tv and mini bar were useful extras. The gym is small but has a good running machine, cross trainer and cycle machine. There is also a multi-gym machine and plenty of free weights. The swimming pool is small (on the roof) but there is a great view of the sea from the terrace where the pool is.

We found it better value to walk around the corner for breakfast where you could get a large coffee and pastry for €2 each. The hotel breakfast was €14 each!

The streets around the hotel are large and clean with pedestrian walkways right down the middle. We always felt safe.

We walked everywhere and could get to the port in less than 30 minutes. The bottom of the Ramblas is a similar distance and we even walked to the Sagrada Familia (45 mins away) and the Parc Guell (1 hr 15 mins away) in the same day!!!

We had a great experience at this hotel and we are thinking of going back next year to do it all again!!!

Helpful hints;
The hotel is new and not all taxi drivers know it's there and hence may take you to another of the Comfortel hotels. Take a Google map and print it out to show to the taxi driver.
Go to Kroyan for breakfast. Turn right out of the hotel, then take the first left and it's 100m on your left! You can sit inside or outside.
Take a guidebook with basic Catalan in, some of the menus are in Catalan only!
If Tapas Bars look full, don't worry. They often have more seating inside behind the main bar area. This is often less 'posh' than the main bar but the food is just as good. We found one of these and had a great time.
The food at Port Olimpic is good but expensive. Try Port Vell (see photo) for food at the same price but better quality.
Food on the Ramblas is normally pretty poor but try the Del Centre D'Art at the foot of the Ramblas. There is a terrace outside the Gallery which looks over the Ramblas. Great food and great views. ([email protected]). It's easy to find!
Also try Rita Blue just off the Ramblas. It's in a Gothic Square and the food is great. ([email protected])"

• Travel date: Wed 28th of May 2008

Great deal

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"Opened in March 2008. Located in the re-gentrifying neighborhood of Poble Nou, just north of central Barcelona. 4 blocks to Metro, 6 blocks to beach, 1 block to Ramblas Poble Nou, with many reasonably priced restaurants, cafes, bakeries. Family of 5 was able to have two, brand new, spacious, quiet rooms, for less than one of anything similar in central Barcelona. Roof-top pool, free computers with internet in lobby."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of April 2008