About Hotel Silken Ramblas Barcelona

• rooftop bar
  • rooftop terrace
  • german amenities
  • italian amenities
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • sauna
  • spanish amenities
  • desk
  • complimentary toiletries
  • extra long beds
  • rooftop pool
  • catalan amenities

Good

The location of this hotel, just off the...

Reviewed Tue 25th of September 2007

"The location of this hotel, just off the Ramblas is fantastic for exploring the fantastic city of Barcelona.

The lobby is spacious and airy and there is a bar which we never used but was always quiet. Staff on reception were efficient and helpful, the desk was usually fairly quiet so no waiting around.

Our room was fine, nothing spectacular but a nice size, big bed, and very clean. The standard I would expect of a reasonably priced four star city centre hotel.

Breakfast was fantastic, a huge selection of hot and cold food including Spanish omelette, smoked salmon, Iberian ham and fresh fruit.

The rooftop pool was a little disappointing, although did the job for a quick dip. Very small pool with few sunbeds, my husband and I sat on plastic chairs the one time we went up there.

As for the 'view of the city' from the rooftop, if you like aerials, you're sorted! Got to the beach!

All in all though a reasonable, clean, and well located hotel. We loved Barcelona, what a fantastic city.

Our favourite Place to go was a Tapas bar on a catamaran in the harbour of Port Vell (just off the end of the Ramblas). Lovely food, good service and just a beautiful place to sit and watch the world go by. There is a restaurant on the beach called 'Arena' which we loved too, great seafood, and service. Bestial at the very end of the beach is funky and does good food too. "

• Travel date: Tue 25th of September 2007

Great location, great pool, comfortable hotel

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in August. Even though it was the second time we have stayed there I must admit I was a bit hesitant about going back after reading the reviews on here. I shouldn't have been. No the soundproofing is not it's best feature but I can honestly say we weren't kept awake by noise from other rooms.

What the hotel really has going for it is its location and the rooftop pool and terrace area. The pool is fairly small but it was never too busy and it was a very welcome break from sightseeing in the hot sun. Location wise the hotel is just of the Ramblas within a few minutes walk of Placa Catalunya and there are plenty of bars and restaurants within easy walking distance.

The rooms were comfortable and clean with all the usual modcons. The staff were helpful and pleasant and I'd definately stay here again."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of August 2005

Excellent Value-Location

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"This "botique" hotel is one half block from the upper part of the exciting Romblus. The American basketball "Dream Team" stayed in this hotel during the Barcelona Olympics.
Our room faced the front so it had a balcony. This was excellent.
It was a very roomy two rooms with a great bathroom and shower.
The hotel has a funky little bar and a good restaurant.
However, the access to the Romblus is the key. It is right in the action.
We selected this hotel because it was so close to everything and was 30-50% less than "name" hotels. We were pleasantly surprised.
When we go back to Barcelona, we will re-book at this hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of July 2005

No soundproofing, very poor overall

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"I new I'd made an error booking as soon as I saw the drab room, but my heart sank furhter when I realized I could hear clearly the conversations between my neighbours, I could hear their toilets flush (and more), and I could hear one couple arrive and unzip their bags.

That the hotel brochure metions that the rooms are soundproofed... is very very naughty indeed.

The staff were friendly (and allowed me to cancel all remaining nights and told the online agent I booked with so I got refunded)... and it is central... but ultimately, so what??

The place is dismal and should be stripped to a 3 star, max, to give a better impression fo the rooms and overall feel."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of June 2005

Great location

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"I have to disagree with some of the previous (negative) reviewers. I've just returned from 3 days at the Ambassador and wasn't bothered by any lack of soundproofing. We could hear the odd toilet being flushed and a bit of street noise but that was all -- we slept very well indeed.

Reception staff were friendly, multilingual and very accommodating -- I requested and got a room change and ended up with one with a MASSIVE king-size bed. The location is great: close enough to La Rambla to be as good as on it but far enough away to not be kept awake all night. The decor is a bit on the tired side and the bar area could definitely do with a revamp as it is very sterile and merely functional. In sum the ambassador's not brilliant but it's as good a place as any to stay in the centre."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of March 2005

Hot and steamy

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"The staff at the Ambassador were friendly and helpful, they knew of the best places for evening entertainment and gave us a very good book which displayed excellent, off-the-beaten-track restaurants. The rooms were not excellent. We moved rooms during the first night due to high volumes of street noise outside, despite the Ambassador's brouchure claim of "105 soundproof rooms". The air-conditioning in both rooms did not work well and did not have enough light. The hotel breakfast was excellent and the hotel is well-situated for tourists. However, it was extremely expensive for what it was and the advertised gymnasium was not open during our three-night stay."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of April 2004

Noisy!

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"I booked this hotel before finding these reviews. My wife and I stayed for 3 nights 19th to 21st March, 2004. The Hotel's stituation is very good base for tourism and its general appearance, helpfulness of staff etc were fine. We had a room on the 2nd floor at the back and street noise was not a problem, however, noise between the rooms was dreadful.
We could hear conversations, TV and in one case snoring as clearly as if a connecting door was open. Because of this we would not recommend this hotel as I am certain that a quieter one could be found for similar cost and position."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of March 2004

Brilliant Hotel!

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"Stayed at this hotel last week and it was brilliant! We had a triple room and unlike other hotels, had plenty of room. We were a bit concerned as we only saw the bad reviews on this site after we had booked the hotel. The staff were really polite and helpful, the bar staff were brilliant at night and we didn't encounter any of the noise problems in our room - and our room was right next door to the lifts!
Overall a fantastic weekend and wouldn't hesitate to book this hotel again!"

• Travel date: Wed 25th of February 2004

Would go again

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"Stayed here for New Year and having read the other bad reviews before leaving, was worried about what I might find. Asked for a quiet room, high up, and was offered an internal (i.e. away from the road) smoking room with double bed. Am a vehement anti-smoker but checked it out anyway. Bed was massive, no smell of smoke at all, and as I slept in til 11am (having partied Barcelona style every night), it can't have been that noisy. Friendly if unobtrusive staff and no problem getting back into the hotel at 5am. Only slight problem was getting the room key to work (bit temperamental), but otherwise....would go back. Very central, clean, nice ambience in bar."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of January 2004

not worth the money

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"Beautiful impressive reception - marble floors, water feature, plants and lighting. Helpful staff. Rooms were average & clean but sound proofing exceptionally poor. Could hear the people talking/moving, either side above and below our room which made for very little sleep.
No need for an alarm clock, next door woke us at 0630 every morning! A good central base but I would have rather paid alot less and stayed in a 2* with the same poor soundproofing. Would I go back?... No"

• Travel date: Fri 7th of November 2003

Disapointed with this hotel

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"We stayed in this hotel for 2 days in november and were quite dissapointed with the standard on offer. I cannot
understand how it can be rated at four stars and charge such high prices. The bathroom had one poorly located, small light, so you had to shower in the dark. And the shower head had been replaced at some point, and did not fit the holder - so you could not stand under it to shower. The rooms are claimed to be soundproofed, but since we could clearly hear the guests in the next room one wonders with what. Also, no iron, and the safe did not function. Its not a terrible hotel, but it does make a mockery of the star system if this is a 4 star. Is a swiming pool on the roof more important than a good quality room ?"

• Travel date: Thu 5th of December 2002