Good

Much more than a 1 star hotel!

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"Me and my girlfreind stayed in Hotel Curious for 3 nights, and the overall expirience was just excellent.

The location of the hotel is the best you can find in Barcelona. It really located within 3-3.5 minutes of walk from Las Ramblas - the main street, and allows to save precious time and money on transportation. Of course in order to reach some places you must take the metro (which is about 7 minutes of walk from the hotel), but there are many places to see in Barcelona which are within a walking distance from the hotel.

The service is good. The receptionists speaks fluent English, helpfull and freindly. The negative issues are that our bed sheets were changed (replaced with a fresh ones) only on the third day of our stay. Another issue is that if you pay by cash, you required to pay on the first day of your stay. However, since the rooms have no safety box, suppose it even better to pay upon check-in, than keep the money till the check-out.

As mentioned there are no: safety box, mini bar and tea/coffee facilities in the room, however believe that no one will expect those in a 1 star hotel.

There are: LCD television, radio, air-conditioner and a small-balcony. In our case, the balcony had a terrible view inside some living quarters, however we was advised of this fact in the time of booking, and there was an option to have a better view to the opposite side in case we would book a twin instead of double room.

The double bed, was little bit smaller than a standard king size double bed (photos attached), however it was comfortable enough for 2 people.

The hotel is renewed, thus the shower and the toilet are completely new and nice.

The breakfast is pretty good for European-contienetal breakfast, and offers various of pastry, cheese, ham, good coffee and juice.

There is a free wireless internet in the rooms. There is also a computer with internet access near the reception, which may be used for free.

The prices are not low (have paid 105 Euro per night incl. breakfast for a double room), considering the fact it is a 1 star hotel, however the reason for that is the great location of the hotel, which while taking into consideration all the above mentioned facts about the hotel - completely worth the money paid.

To summarize would say that the hotel gives much more than any 1 star ranked hotel, however it charges the according price for it. Would definetely reccoment it to everyone."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of February 2009

Small but good and very convenient

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"My reviews are based on the value for the money you are paying, of course you can not compare the curious hotel to a 5-star hotel, but the value here is EXCELLENT, and that is why for me it is "above average".

Looking for a hotel near the rambla I found the hotel Doisy, which for the month of December was offering rooms at unbeatable rates. I booked directly on their site.
the location is really convenient for anyone visiting Barcelona without a car, it is located just beside the rambla and 3 minutes walk from placa cataluna. The closest metro stop is liceu, but the metro in placa cataluna is pretty close too (just a few minutes).

In The Proximity of the hotel wou will find everything that you'll need; restaurants, bars, cafès, shops, a supermarket (carrefour)....

I chose this hotel also because it offered free internet, you can use their free wireless network or if you do not have your own computer with you, they have one in the reception.

The room was clean, small and compact, it was ok. It is equipped with an air conditioner/heater that has worked well enough, an LCD TV on the wall, and a radio system. The Furniture is minimalistic, there is a desk that is actually a shelf taht you can open and close, so that if you do not need a desk, you can easily close it, and then you'll have a little bit more space in the room. there is no wardrobe, but there are hangers hung on another shelf, where you can hang your clothes. My room was facing the courtyard, it was not really a nice view, since the yard was about 3 square meters and then the balcony of teh apartment in front of my room was only 2 meters away .. however this was not a problem for me, just keep the dark curtains closed.

There was no hairdryer and no toilet brush, I do not know if it's normal that there is no brush in the bathroom ??!!

The room was cleaned everyday, and everyday the towels and toiletries were replaced !

the only thing I didn't like was the bed, which made a little noise when you just moved a little bit. but even that wasn't a big problem for me.

Breakfast (included in price) was really good, different types of pastries (croissants, etc..), different types of ham and cheeses, self service coffee, different types of bread, yoghurts etc..

All the staff members i met (available 24 hours) were very nice and helpful.

check out at 12.00 is very good.
i will certainly go back."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of January 2009

Highly Recommended!

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Excellent location just off La Rambla a few minutes walk from MACBA near both metro and Renfe if you travel by train from the airport. The hotel was super clean overall, interesting modern decor, lift, 24 hours reception, free internet access. The reception were all helpful and friendly. Good variety of breakfast. Everything was done very professionally. More than I expected for the price I paid. Probably the best budget hotel I stayed in during my trip across Europe. Love it!"

• Travel date: Wed 14th of January 2009

From Hell to Heaven

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"I think it resumes our thinking of barcelona's hotels.

Hell, fake pictures, wrong location on website, long walk from car-park and personnal not really willing to take responsability for that. That´s how starts our "romantic" holidays.
We could not stand it and went looking for anything else, litteraly.

Heaven, that's a Curious thing.
Reception helpful and nice, at 2am the personnal made us a tour of the hotel to get away our suspicious mind, we were conquered with the great clean designed room they proposed, we enjoyed the variety of the included breakfast and had a good night sleep in a quiet area, even that close from Las Ramblas.

The prices are a bit high, but it's personnal. We are more "hostels travelers" but after what we had, it was so good that we decided to go for it.
For breakfast I like daylight and the dinning room of this hotel only has artificial light, but hey ! Even heaven is not perfect. Boy, if it is, means your dead !

Hasta la vista, Curious!
Sector9"

• Travel date: Tue 11th of November 2008

A great find!

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"We went searching for an alternative hotel after our original booking turned out to be almost 1.5 hours away from the city centre. After trying a number of hotels along La Rambla, we came across the Curious down a side street - and what a find. It's within 5 minutes walking distance from La Place Catalunia and about 15-20 minutes stroll to Port Vell - so a perfect spot, close to the famous market.

This hotel is clean and well decorated. It's a 1* so doesn't have some of the extras we would normally like - such as tea/coffee making facilities and the breakfast is simple but as a base to enjoy everything Barcelona has to offer, it's great! We stayed for 3 nights out of the 4 we were away for and were moved from the very small 'double' to a twin room at the suggestion of the staff for the last 2 nights, when the room became free. The doubles are very small, so I'd recommend trying for a twin. The three staff we met were all great, helpful and informative.

Definitely one to recommend."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of September 2008

Well recommended

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"Modern hotel in the centre of Las Rambles.

Stayed here for 6 nights and was very impressed with it.
Very clean and tidy, Staff were very friendly,

There are only 2 faults, 1 There is no bar as stated on the website you can get beer from a vending machine but nothing else.

The other, tea/coffee facilities in the room would have been nice.
Would definately recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of August 2008

Basic but v. modern, clean and superb location

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"Stayed at Hotel Curious during the Sonar festival and have only good things to say. It's at the cheaper end so you know it's not going to provide luxury, but you hope it will be clean, quite, comfortable and have polite friendly staff - and all these hopes we're fullfilled!

We had a room on the street side a few floors up, this gave us a small balcony from which to observer the constant activity of the narrow, atmoshpheric, typical-of-Barcelona Carrer below. With the French doors closed and the aircon on we couldn't hear any commotion. The bathroom was also very modern and clean.

Arguably the greatest asset is the hotel's location though, on the slightly less touristy side of La Ramba. The streets here are lined with odder shops, restaurants and bars and there is far more real life and atmosphere on this side than on the more touristy East side where the Cathedral is. The huge food market is just round the corner as is the MACCBA centre of contemporary art. And there are loads of places to take advantage of a menu del dia sitting out on the pavement.

So if you want a cheap hotel that is everthing a cheap hotel should be and is superbly located, give this some consideration."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of July 2008

Excellent hotel

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"My husband and I recently stayed for 1 night after moving from another hotel in Barcelona. The hotel was very clean and had everything we needed. The bed was comfortable, although we opted to take the only room that was left which was a single room so it was tight, but our choice. The hotel is fairly new so it is very updated in both design including a television in the room with international channels and internet access in the lobby. The breakfast was good, with pastries, coffee, etc. The hotel is also in a great location just off of the busy La Rambla. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Barcelona."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of July 2008

Great hotel

Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"Hopefuly we found this very nice hotel, just 30m from Ramblas, in a walk downtown Barcelona. This hotel saved my honeymoon, because I had booked a terrible hostel believing in fake pictures in a hostel website.

The rooms are quite comfortable and well designed, LCD TV, international channels, very nice bathroom and shower. The breakfast is included and is simple and delicious. The staff is also very kind. My wife and I loved this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of May 2008

Ideal

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Great location, friendly staff, VERY comfortable beds, ample breakfast (although English Breakfast Tea would be nice), very clean and lots of hot water. Will definitely stay there again and recommend it to friends. Good value for money."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of April 2008