About Hotel 1898

• butler service
  • adult pool

Excellent City Centre Hotel

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"We stayed for 4 nights in March 2006, having carefully researched the available hotels we wanted a central location with facilities, pool, spa etc and 1898 did not disappoint.

The location is superb, at the top end of Ramblas which is a bit like Barcelona's Covent Garden with street performers and artists making for a lively atmosphere. It is also a short walk to the more upmarket shopping areas and famous landmarks such as Gaudi's Casa Mila, and about 10 mins walk to the port at the bottom of Ramblas. 10/10 for the location.

Some of the reviews mention poor service from the staff this was not out experience. All the staff were very friendly and attentive with an eye for detail such as welcoming us in English and by name. The service is however not overbearing, which we prefer, some may interpret this as a shortcoming and there is no concierge but the reception staff are excellent with good local knowledge.

The rooms are extremely well appointed with wooden flooring, differing colour schemes, marble bathrooms with high quality Grohe fittings and nice touches such as heated mirrors in the bathroom that don't steam up!

The basement pool and spa is a real plus. The pool has Jacuzzi areas, and is just big enough for a bit of a swim. A nice sauna, steam room and gym are also available and a treatment room, all of which was very tastefully finished and kept immaculately clean during our stay.
A couple of minor points stopped this from becoming my favourite all time city center hotel (an accolade still held just by Hotel de Russie in Rome).

We were woken by workmen in the next room to us laying flooring at 8.30 am, so whilst the room was well isolated from external noise it could not stop the sound of hammering from next door! Reception promptly moved us to a quieter room, but really we should not have been put in a room next to this work in the fist place.

We were also disappointed to arrive back one night at exactly 1.00 AM to find the bar closed, despite the fact drinks were still being poured for other guests who had ordered before. A later conversation with the barman revealed a friendly guy, but one who definitely worked to rule! He was planning to come to work in London and was horrified when we told him how late London hotel bars stay open till!

Our only experience of the food was a room service breakfast, the order got a bit mixed up, but was corrected very quickly and the food was excellent. When we checked out it had been missed off the bill, which I pointed out to reception who waived the charge for the breakfast.

Our return flight was a late flight, and the manager agreed to a late check out and then stored our bags and valuables enabling us to enjoy a final look around the City.

The Hotel has only been open since November 05, and I think it is a real find. I would not hesitate to recommend it, and look forward to going back in the summer when the roof terrace is open - where else would you be able to have the best of a beautiful city like Barcelona on your doorstep and then relax in the sun and swim as well?"

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of April 2006

Recommended - 100%

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"A great hotel all round. Deliberated long and hard before booking something special for our anniversary. Wanted something special, clean, not tacky - and this was it. Perfect all round.

Hotel rooms were fantastic, plasma tv, fabulous furnishings, ultra modern, and no noise from other rooms. Reception area was lovely, modern and tasteful. Room overlooked La Rambla so of course there was the street noise, but then this was only to be expected on one of the most touristy streets in Barcelona. I expected this to be a busy place. Brilliant. Breakfasts were great, dinners were perfect and spa was wonderful. Would not hesitate in recommending.

One reviewer has stated that the neighbour had cockerels...birds are sold in La Rambla on the street market stalls. However, these are removed at the end of the day. No cockerel noises after dark - not while we were there anyway.

Would recommend anyone to stay at this hotel."

Fantastic hotel!

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"Stayed at Hotel 1898 for four nights in March 2006. It is really well located directly on the Ramblas about 5 minutes from the top/10 minutes from the water.

We originally had a courtyard-facing room which was very nicely presented and there was no noise at all. However, there was no minibar in the room so we were given a free upgrade to one of the larger rooms with a balcony onto the street. This was offered right away with no fuss from us whatsoever - I'd only asked for them to stick a minibar in there whilst we were out for evening sightseeing! The staff all spoke good English and were very friendly.

The larger room was just as nice although being nearer the street meant a little more noise. I think it was worth it though and I had no trouble sleeping, the soundproofing was pretty good. My friend is a lighter sleeper however and was woken up a couple of times during our stay.

Both rooms were large (for a European hotel) with high ceilings and I was pleased with the sense of space so often denied to me when travelling on a modest budget outside the US!

The rooftop pool was not available during our stay, but that didn't trouble us as it wasn't hot outside! There was a really nice indoor pool which was great for relaxing in the evening before dinner. It included a jacuzi and there was also a steam room and sauna.

We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant but we did get breakfast roomservice and that was delicious -- too pricey to make a habit of though at EUR 18 per person. More fun to go to the market 2 minutes down the street and get fresh fruit and pastries!

I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hotel 1898 and would definitely stay again."

Hotel 1898 Top Marks

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We had a two night stay, in Februry and were very lucky with the weather, not single complaint, staff were very helpful and breakfast was great, we expected a light continental breakfast so were pleasently suprised with the selection, hot and cold. room faced inner court, No view but that keeps you away from any street noise, room and faciliies was excellent, would go back romorrow."

Highly recommended

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"My wife and I stayed at the hotel 1898 for 4 nights in March of 2006. I give it very strong marks but here are some specific comments that I hope can help people evaluate if this is the hotel for them:

PROS:
1) location is great: right in the lower middle of las Ramblas. During the day one can exit right onto the street, at night it's just around the corner
2) very clean, modern tommy hilfiger-esque appointments. We stayed in the basic room with windows onto the "courtyar/airshaft" but still had a large room especially by european standards.
3) high water pressure in very nice clean bathroom with hot water all day.
4) pool is in the basement(the one on the roof was stil under construction) in arched brick wine celler like room. Steam room a real plus after wandering around all day. and the water massage equipment very nice
5) electronic lighting and music controls for mood in the rooms and the rooms very sound proof.
6) maid service availible at as many odd hours as we needed the room cleaned and plenty of towels

cons
1) the hotel bar although very nice with a very comfortable lounge closes at 1 am which was early but there were plenty of places still open on las Ramblas.
2)room service breakfast menu a bit limited and had toruble adding ala carte items had to order a double breakfast.

I look forward to returning to this hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of March 2006

Great Ambiance !

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"The Hotel 1898 was fantastic. Can't believe one or two of the other reviewers stayed at the same hotel !

Staff were great, room was good, clean and very modern.

The hotel has various nooks and crannies where you can get peace and quiet. Some areas were even showing old movies and the background music was very conducive to the whole atmospere of the place.

Would definately recommend the hotel. We paid £112 per night for three nights. No breakfast included though."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of March 2006

Fab Hotel

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"I deliberated long and hard over a hotel having visited barcelona before. I teach in the tourism industry and always choose location, followed by facilites and overall standard and of course price. I have to say hotel 1898 ticked all the boxes and I was so impressed by everything the hotel had to offer. Staff were extremely helpful. The only thing that explains the reasonable price is the small sized rooms but these are wonderfully decorated with great facilities so it doesn't really matter. I suspect this will become a very popular hotel which will, unfortunately, detract from it's overll charm!"

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of March 2006

Perfect - really should be a 5* rather than a 4*

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"Myself and my partner have just returned from Hotel 1898 for a 3 night stay from the 9th to the 12th of February. I've never actually written a review before however Tripadvisor was very helpful to me when choosing the hotel for a very special surprise weekend with my partner so I've decided to put our views in writing - so here goes!

From the outset there was somebody to help with the bags and the staff were very professional, polite and helpful taking us up to the room and even showing us how to use the lights (a very cool and modern dimmer system) and the bathrooms (all Ghroe fittings with a fantastic rainfall shower). The decor was perfect, rooms had plenty of room and nice and quiet (no noise from the hallway hardwood floors as suggested by some - all carpeted). Our room had a brand new 32" LCD TV mounted on the was which was very nice and the aircon was spot on. Breakfast was amazing (I echo what another reviewer said though - get it included in the price or its £18 euro a day each). The pool and sauna faclilities were very nice and very quiet also. We spent a fair bit of time at the hotel bar after an evening out chating to Carlos the happy little barman (he makes great and very potent - Sangria which we recomend!) Location - halfway down La Ramblas (directly opposite the Meridian) was perfect.

Somebody made a comment about doubting people who wrote these reviews had ever stayed in a 5* hotel. Well I've stayed at the Conrad in Chelsea Harbour, Capodimonte in Sorrento and the Four Seasons in Montreal and I would honestly say that this hotel is up there with them. When we return to Barcelona we will certainly stay at this establishment again."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of February 2006

Great on the surface!

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"Booked very much due to the fact that i wanted a good quality hotel in a good area and the reviews seemed excellent. Hotel is in a perfect location half way up Las Ramblas. Hotel is decorated and finished to an excellent standard. The staff are NOT friendly. Must be the only hotel I've stayed at where NOBODY greets you. Rooms were very well fitted a little small but who cares, heating was always on making it very warm, but the windows open which is ok. You hear the water coming down the soil pipe whenever someone uses the shower or bathroom in another room, and the neighbour keeps cockrels which crow in the early am. NO CONCIERGE or BELLBOY, but again not too important. All in all would stay there again due to location and general fittings, but nothing else."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of January 2006

Over Rated!

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"This is a nice hotel... but really nothing special. I doubt whether those who rave about the hotel have ever stayed at a true luxury or boutique hotel. The staff is adqeuate - but impersonal. There is no "extra" touch that one who normally would find in a boutique hotel, nor an element of poshness/luxury that you would find in a 5 star hotel.
During the stay we had issues with hot water (which were resolved quickly), and with the concierge... who seemed unable to secure a taxi no matter what the time (day or evening!).... that was truly UNACCEPTABLE. As was their attitude when I dared hale a taxi for myself... and successfully!... after they have failed for nearly 20 minutes.
In summary - the services offered at the hotel are sub-par for the price. The staff is cordial, but certainly not friendly, and the hotel itself is very nice - but not amazing. Overall an adequate - but not remarkable stay."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of January 2006