Holiday Inn Express Barcelona City 22

• french amenities
  • italian amenities
  • spanish amenities

Good

Fantastic stay! Thanks, Carme!

Reviewed Sun 24th of February 2013

"My companion and I were taking a cruise out of Barcelona and wanted to arrive a day early to explore the city on our own before embarking. She is a member of Holiday Inn Express' frequent stayer program and paid for this room with points.
I cannot say enough about this property and especially about Carme, the young woman who worked behind the desk during the day. Carme speaks half a dozen languages and it was a pleasure to watch her help everyone at the desk with patience and competence. She gave us directions to the Sagrada Familia and the cathedral and called a taxi when we needed one to get to the dock. Wish we'd had the camera in hand when we watched her on two phones and three calls at the same time! Carme helped us get some emergency pharmacy supplies and directed us as to where to go to purchase them inexpensively. She made a phone call to our cruise line's local office to confirm arrangements. We watched her help a British visitor who had parked in the wrong spot and was likely facing having his rental car towed and paying an expensive fine. We watched her handle not one but two guests who had either lost or had had their credit cards/cash stolen (a real problem in Barcelona). She was tactful and reassuring to these distressed folks and it was a pleasure to watch an employee so well suited to her role. Carme, you are my hotel front desk goddess!
Our room was perfectly wonderful, the two beds can be pushed together for couples and the linens are lovely. Shower had great water pressure. The room is brilliantly designed to be environmentally conscious....low/high flush, electric lights that turn off when your key card is removed from the deployment switch, etc. Americans may not be used to this, but it is far preferable to a room littered with papers reminding ME to do the right thing. The HOTEL does the right thing, with intelligently designed rooms. There is a coffee/tea maker in the room and a great television (with plenty of channels and pay-per-view movies), desk and wardrobe and reading lights for each bed.
The complimentary breakfast is lavish indeed. DO NOT MISS, as eating out can be expensive in this wonderful city. There are a couple of computers and a printer right in front of the reception desk and they are easy to operate and free 24 hours a day.
Our ONLY complaint is that we couldn't seem to get the room sufficiently cool. We each felt that it was possibly a matter of not knowing how to operate the switch.
I would stay nowhere else in Barcelona, and I do plan on returning."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of May 2009

Really nice and comfortable modern hotel

Reviewed Fri 22nd of February 2013

"I booked my stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Barcelona through the company website and got a great price of 67 euros a night. The modern hotel is just a short walk from the Llacuna metro station. A very nice buffet breakfast was included. There was a great selection of drinks, bread, cereal, cheese, meat and yogurt. The breakfast was a great extra in a city that tends to be pricey. The lobby has two modern computers for free high speed internet use. The staff is extremely helpful and pleasant. The room was nice and big with a double bed and a table and chair. There was also a sofa that appeared to be a sofa bed. There was a hot water maker for coffee or tea and an ice maker in the lobby.
This nice hotel has a lot going for it and the only real drawback is that it is in the "new" part of Barcelona so it is not near the main tourist area. The metro is convenient and quiet. A large modern shopping mall is two metro stops further but otherwise, dining and shoping options are rather limited. It's a perfect place if you want a great hotel at a good price but not a good choice if you would like to be in the heart of all the tourist action. I was very pleased with this hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of April 2009

New hotel, friendly staff

Reviewed Fri 22nd of February 2013

"I was staying here when the hotel has been open only couple of days. The staff was VERY friendly and they were happy to tell tips where to go etc. My room was very nice, of course brand new and everything was working properly, The breakfast room was bright and the continental breakfast was excellent. You can catch the metro in couple of blocks. The area was under rebuilding so there was noice because of that but I thing nowadays the area must be very nice. There is walking street very nearby where you can find shops, restaurants and spanish atmosphere."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of April 2009

Recommend it anytime

Reviewed Tue 19th of February 2013

"Stayed for 4 nights with children. Excellent value, nice staff. Location is good. Just a couple shorts block to the subway. Area is being rebuilt and renovated. Walking out to the right there is a nice supermarket just a block away. And the oen neighborhood version of Las Ramblas. Very nice to walk at night, full of local peopla, small eateries and small shops. Just 10 minute walk toward the Diagonal tstreet here is a large mall-shopping center. Only thing is that if you arrive late at night with the metro the area is deserted and the two block walk to the hotel can be a bit unsettling. Al together I enjoyed the convenience of being just a few metro stops from the heat of Barcelona while at the same time being in a quiet area where you can get the feel of the normal city life, without the hype and intendity of the tourist areas."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of April 2009

Good Value ...

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"Many hotels have an inclination to inflate their so-called stars.
This hotel market itself as a 3* property and it is a very honest assessment.
I would give this newly-built, clean, reasonably priced hotel 3+ if not 4 stars.

Location is perhaps not the most ideal. There is almost nothing in near vicinity. However, with a walk of 5-10 minutes you have everything you need – from Metro station to shopping area to dining places.

Family rooms for 2 adults + 2 kids are good deals.
Breakfast is ok.
Internet in the lobby is available free of cost for quick checking of mails, check-ins and so on.
Staff quite friendly.

To summarize, good value for the money."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of March 2009

Pleasant Stay

Reviewed Sun 10th of February 2013

"I was in Barcelona on business and the company I was visiting made a reservation for me in this hotel. It is just around the corner from their office. I stayed in the hotel 6 days.

I travel around the world and I was pleased with the Holiday Inn. It is new and clean. The front desk staff were really nice to me and helped me when I needed them to.

The room was small but adequate. No mini bar - I like mini bars so I can buy fruit, yougart etc. The bathroom was clean and the bed was comfortable. Room was quiet. CNN and BBC were the only two English speaking stations and for some reason, during my stay, CNN was off the air.

Free breakfast buffet which was ok - I didn't get bored with it. Free internet in the lobby but buying it in the room was a little expensive. My telephone wouldn't work so I had to keep going downstairs to make phone calls from the reception desk. On the bright side, they didn't charge me."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of February 2009

Family getaway

Reviewed Wed 20th of February 2013

"Location is great, 10 minutes drive to all the sights. Rooms were small but comfortable, sofa bed was a bit uncomfortable. Love the modern updated room. Breakfast was typical toast and juices but had a little extra, free internet in the lobby for quick ckecks on emails and what ever. Mini bar at the lobby for after hour socializing. Many restaurants around the corner for evening dinner and walk. No out side parking, but hotel have paid parking. Driving and finding hotel was difficult because the diagonal keeps cutting the streets off. Overall good place."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of January 2009

clean and good hotel in a wrong side of city...

Reviewed Tue 5th of February 2013

"hotel is clean. rooms are very comfortable. beds are very good. hotel staff is helpfull. breakfast is rich and taesty. location of the hotel is not good, its not easy to reach touristic areas of the city by walking. you have to take taxi or go by metro. around the hotel there is no restaurants. okey there are but, they are not looking safe. if you call taxi, taxi will charge yo 4.50 eur. to stop it from the road is much better. for metro you have to walk around 400meters.. other good point of hotel is, they have indoor secur car park.. they have no room service..."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of December 2008

Good value, would stay again.

Reviewed Sat 23rd of February 2013

"Stayed here four days... then after a few days away the other three. Staff most helpful and courtious, especially MAIRA, with whom we shared many laughs.
Breakfast was a tasty blessing with many selections... albeit a pair of challenging coffee machines! :-)
Hotel as expected... functional, no major complaints. Hallway carpets could use some attention though (bad color selection), shows accidents.
Had no security issues with area around hotel... went for lengthy strolls each evening along the mini La Rambla, just out the front door and two blocks left. Nice super market for reasonably priced items there and many little restaurants along the walk.
A nice Barcelona experience and value!"

• Travel date: Sun 30th of November 2008

Bad staff attitude and Poor location

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"I and 2 other adults recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and booked 2 rooms in mid october

The positives - Reasonably clean, new and above averaged sized rooms. (this is is a new hotel)

The negatives- Staff attitude. I lost my passport on arrival and needed help in contacting the police and british consulate etc.. but they didnt seem to care about giving any advice, just interested in checking in discussing rate cards!

Then the telephone did not work in my room (which you really need when u lose a passport to call family back home insurance co.'s consulate etc..!!) When we repeatedly reported the issue they a technician was sent on our 2nd day of our stay, he checked our phone reported the error to reception, then turned around to us lifted his hand in the air and said to us "momento" and left the room.
After that we heard nothing again from hotel reception or management about sorting the issue out. (complete ignorance)
We just ended up using our mobile phones after that, and gave up complaining about the telephone in our room, otherwise we would have ended ruining our trip and sightseeing time completely!!

I also like the way they fail to understand english whenever there is a problem, and start talking back to there non-spanish guests in spanish!!

Also location is not so good, its is long tiring 30 minute walk from the gothic quarter and the the main tourist centre of barcelona. The area has a dodgy feel about with run down buildings. Nearst metro stop is Llacuna 5min walk away, but beware when you are coming back in late evening 9pm onwards, as on the first night we were there some unsavoury characters waiting at the top of the metro stop. We could see other tourists with us felt unsafe also and you could see them speed walking back to their hotels from that station at that time of the night!!! the next night we used a taxi to get back from gothis quarter and ramblas. if you can afford another 40 odd euros per night then get a hotel in the ramblas, barceloneta gothic quarter, placa catalunya or pasige de gracia areas

Finally, we were advised on arrival that the rate for the room had been reduced on the day and that they would change the rate for us accordingly. On departure I was handed a bill for a total which I was satisfied. When I got home next day checked my credit card bill they had duplicated the transaction!! When i advised them of this they said as we had 2 rooms and 3 adults in each hence they passed the bill twice!!! then after arguing this point that there were 3 adults in total and 1 adult in one room 2 in the other they then decided to honour me the rate i had originally booked the rooms for and refund that difference only!!!

So all in all I didnt get there reduced rate they promised, instead an unauthorised duplicated transaction on my bill!!! This sums the level of organisation at this hotel.

You get a true picture of the quality of a hotel when a hotel helps there guests if they have problems, on this aspect this hotel failed miserably.

Overall, I would recommend stay in this hotel only if you get the room for exclusive 2 for 1 rate ich hotels group offer on their website and a room rate of Euros 50 per night. nothing more. then it is worith it, otherwise dont bother.

If your willing to pay more then a get hotel in the tourist centre of barcelona, you will enjoy your time more in a safer cleaner location."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of October 2008

Great Value and Location

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"This hotel is new and modern and was great value at €85 a night. Barcelona is very expensive for hotels otherwise.

The rooms are nice, quiet, bathroom not that clean and had a damp smell which is strange given its only been open since May.

Check in was very slow but other than that the staff coulnt be more helpful.

Breakfast very good.

The location is great, a short walk to the metro which gets you to all the main sights without changing in minutes. You can walk to the beach (come out of the hotel, turn left, go to the second crossroads and turn right - beach at the end (Playa Bogatel) - 15 mins) go this route as its a nice pedestrainised boulevard with lots of cafes and shops. The streets wither side are otherwise quiet and not very interesting. The beach is gorgeous, a real suprise, clean, warm, great!

The nearest supermaket is again left out of the hotel and on the left hand side. best in the area (only found it on the last day! its so close!)

Id return here for sure."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of October 2008

Perfect place to tour Barcelona

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"Reasonably priced hotel on the outskirts of Barcelona, so not expecting too much. However what a lovely surprise! The hotel is bright and clean, the rooms spacious for Europe with a really large bathroom. The staff were so helpful, advising us where to go, giving us maps etc. The hotel is in Poble Nou, a lovely local area with bars and restaurants and a lovely walk through to a fantastic beach. You really get the best of both worlds here, lovely and quiet and close to the beach and 2 minutes from the metro. Yet in 20 minutes you can be walking down Las Ramblas in the thick of everything. Barcelona is absolutely fabulous, with something for everyone, we stayed for 4 days, and found the best thing to do was buy a tourist bus ticket, which drops you off at all the major tourist spots, you can spend as long as you want and jump back on the bus at any time!. All in all Barcelona and HIE are fabulous. We will be back!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 29th of September 2008