Top Notch Hotel

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"This was our first hotel during a trip to Europe this summer. Nicest hotel by far! It is new, so no maintenance issues. Great pool with view of beaches. The room was clean with modern decor. Hotel staff was helpful and gracious. It is in a newer area of Barcelona, with a mall across the street. Access into the city center is easy and inexpensive via taxi, transit, or tour bus. The double-decker tour bus stops just down the street- a good way to see the city (buy a two-day pass)."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of September 2006

Perfect in every way, except location

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"We went to the Hilton Diagonal Mar after spending a couple of nights at the Le Meridien on Ramblas. The difference was night and day.

This Hilton is rated as a Category 6, HHonors' highest category. For a hotel, I felt it was truly deserving of this rating. The hotel itself is very new and modern, which fits well with Barcelona.

As a HHonors Gold member, I went to the Executive lounge for check-in and received a room on the 19th floor. The room was large and had a great view of the Mediterranean. No, it's not on the beach but I would say it's maybe a few minutes walk at most. The bed was firm and similar to the newer beds found in N American Hiltons. The bathroom had the modern style sinks which I always find looks great aesthetically but, practically, doesn't work that well.

The Executive lounge is superb. There is the main area for seating and a large outdoor patio area as well. The food for both breakfast and evening h'ors d'oeurves was top notch. Outside of those hours, there are complimentary drinks and snacks.

The service received from all staff was exceptional. Every request was acted on quickly and I have absolutely no complaints. Just across the street is the Diagonal Mar shopping mall, which was extremely convenient and had quite a few restaurants. The closest metro was El Maresme Forum which was a little hard to find, at first. You have to walk around the mall and the Princess hotel, before you see the Hilton. It was a very easy 5-7 minute walk and you could get to any other place in Barcelona from there.

I was much more pleased with this hotel than the Meridien (you can read my review on that too). Yes, the location of the Meridien is better. But for an overall hotel experience, the Hilton was truly 5 star."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of September 2006

Good business hotel...

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"We wanted to burn a few points in Barcelona when visiting friends and we had the choice between two Hilton in Barcelona. My wife wanted a swimming pool. So the choice was easy: Diagonal Mar and not the more central one. We booked 3 nights with our HHonors points with 2 kids.

We were upgraded to Executive floor and checked in in the Executive lounge by friendly staff. We had a corner room (slightly more spacious than standard executive) and asked for an additional bed for our kid. Free of charge and very good quality and length (could even accomodate an adult).

The room are very nice with flat screen

Location
Not in the city center but in a quiet area (no noisy construction very close)
Near the sandy beach (easily accessible with a 10 min walk) where you can find a fresh water shower. Beach OK.

Parking
If you have a car, instead of using the overpriced hotel car park, park it free of charge in the street parallel to the hotel.

Executive lounge OK but a little bit cramped and small with the usual choice of beverages and good snacks from 6pm to 8:30pm. We had our breakfast (good without a very large choice) there on the terrace having a view on the city and sea, very nice when you can get a table in the shade.

We did not eat in the hotel as you have everything you need from sandwich to full fledged restaurant and tapas bar in front of the hotel. You do not need to pay overpriced meal in trhe hotel.

The pictures on Internet are misleading as they make the sea appear a little closer than it is actually and it seems as if there was a grass garden near the pool which is on the second floor but the grass we see is next to the street.
Swimming OK but a little cold (even in August). Ample free towels and lounge chairs.
As already said, easy connections to the city center with tram, tube, bus and taxi (8 EUR).

Overall a good new hotel without atmosphere."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of September 2006

Love affair at the Hilton

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"After reading several bad reviews, I was a little sceptic I must admit. I am a spoiled traveler, and always stay at top class hotels. The Hilton Diagonal Mar was great! A really, really nice guy at reception made sure we felt very welcome, and the room was gorgeous, big bath and bright room with a huge minibar and lots of amenities. We had sea view and windows in the bathroom which was great:) Really comfy bed, and staff always very helpful. The pool is not that big, but works out just fine, it all looks really good. Breakfast is good and very attentive staff. Next dood there is a shopping mall and some restaurants, and just two minutes away is the metro that takes you to the city center. NO problem at all! the only drawback of staying a little out of the center is getting a taxi home at night..I always got a private car though..it took too long for the taxis to become avaliable:)
It's close to the beach, just three minute walk and the area is really nice. The place is kind of the new business center in barcelona, so it's expanding all the time. No construction work anymore, so no problem there.
If you prefer to stay closer to the city center, yet close to the beach, hilton diagonal mar might be a little out for you, but for us it was great, we didn't mind spending a little more time on transport. The location is the drawback-the hotel is great!
I would def. go back!"

• Travel date: Sun 20th of August 2006

Sunny & Spectacular!

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"My new husband and I chose the Hilton for a one-night stay prior to our honeymoon cruise. I'm so happy that we did! I emailed the hotel ahead of time and they put us in a gorgeous 12th floor room facing the beach and pool. If you go, request room 1209. The room was very sunny and spacious and the bed extremely cozy! I loved the modern bathroom and I don't know about the other reviewers but both of our showers (there were two) were extremely powerful. The Villeroy & Boch sink was a nice touch and the Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries appreciated!

While my husband took a nap from being jetlagged, I went to the pool which was a good size and very clean. There were plenty of chairs and a nice bar and dining area. Their lunches were a bit overpriced (18,00 E for an overcooked tuna caesar salad) but the sangria was delicious!

Breakfast was included in our package but was just okay. They seemed to have tried to cater to all nationalities so maybe being used to American breakfasts, it wasn't all that good to us. Next time, I'll probably just book the room and go across the street to the mall--which, by the way, was really nice to see as we had to wait a few hours to check in. They had a McDonald's, Starbucks, H&M and plenty of other places to eat and shop.

The drinks in the lobby bar were delicious but the scene was very quiet--just a few people watching t.v. The Hilton, overall, is a quiet place to stay so if you are seeking the action, you probably want to stay closer to the action (see my review of the Hotel Jazz). There was, however, some excitement next door as we faintly heard the sounds of a nightclub in the wee early hours. It wasn't disturbing enough to keep one awake but was audible.

The metro is located a few blocks away (it's located on the other side of the mall--you can walk down to the Princess Hotel and cross--you'll see it a few blocks up) which we took to the Port Olympic area. Definitely a must-see. We ate dinner at Agua which was very good but you must make reservations early if you want to sit outside. It's located next to the Hotel Arts on the beachfront. And I found there to be no fear of theft--I carried my small purse around with me everywhere and didn't see any muggings. I didn't feel extremely safe in the Olympic area at night, however (probably because of things I read online prior to our trip), so we went back to the hotel prior to midnight. The metro was very cheap (1,20 E) and as good, if not better, than the NY subway system.

Being that it was our first time in Europe, I was worried about language barriers. However, we found the staff to speak very good English and were helpful and not rude at all. I resent the other reviewer's statement about their youth--that has no impact on one's ability to interact with guests and visitors. They showed us where to go for the buffet, stored our bags safely, rushed a room for us prior to the standard check-in time (we checked in at 11 a.m. versus the standard 3 p.m.) and were happy to call a taxi for us and tell the driver where to go.

I would definitely recommend the Hilton Diagonal Mar to any traveler!"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of August 2006

Comfortable stay

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"The Diagonal Mar Barcelona was very nice.. beautiful rooms, great views of the city. Our room was very nice and huge, almost like a small apartment. However, as others have said, it is not on the beach as it appears to be from the pictures. It is right on the Meditarranean, but no beaches. If you have the money to spend and want a comfortable, upscale place to enjoy your privacy, this would be great. The area it is in is pretty new. There is a nice shopping center right across the street, but you'll have to find some form of transportation to get to the city center and major attractions, as it is too far to walk."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of July 2006

Too little, too late, too young!

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"The photo's of this hotel as seen on the Hilton web site is deceiving. Its proximity to the beach is not as close as it looks. It is NOT close to the city center and the area is too new to have any significant activity, unless you're there for business and using the convention center. The building is 9 mo. new, but too open, (visually) cold public spaces. The bar stock is mediocre. Problems with the rooms (eg.- Lights burned out at the desk and hallway, low water pressure in the bathroom, no safety bars near the tub, shower door not closing) which were reported the first day were never repaired during a four day stay, with no replacement room offered. The entire staff is VERY YOUNG AND INEXPERIENCED, sometimes nonresponsive and rude. People make a place worthwhile, this place has a long way to go before they deserve their top rated prices!"

• Travel date: Mon 29th of May 2006

Nice business hotel, but watch out for the Internet fees

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"I recently checked into this Hilton for a few days for a business meeting and had a very pleasant stay. The room was clean and modern, with a flat screen TV, high-speed (Ethernet) Internet access, a comfy reading chair, and a sleek bathroom. It had two twin beds (note -- this is what you get if you request a "double room"). My room was on an executive floor so I also had access to the club which was good for free breakfasts and drinks and snacks throughout the day. The hotel has an exercise room which was smallish but well-equipped with cardio and weight machines. The hotel's location near the shoreline also provides easy access to good walking/running/biking paths.

My one beef with this Hilton was that the Internet access was too expensive -- it was 27 euro per day which works out to $35 US dollars. Yikes! Why is it that so many hotel chains are able to provide Internet access (wireless even) for free while others charge an arm and a leg? Maybe because they get so many business travelers they feel they can get away with it. Anyway, after my meeting was over, I wanted to stay an extra day on my own so I moved to the Barcelona Princess just down the block which was also very nice, less expensive ... and provided free Internet."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of May 2006

Loved our stay at the Hilton

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We just returned from 4 nights at the Diagonal Mar and had a great time. We went with our two daughters and another family of four. We had two adjoining rooms, one with a king bed and another with two doubles. The hotel was clean and the rooms very modern. We were on the upper floors looking toward the sea. The city views were also nice and I think on the lower floors the city view may be desirable as there is a very tall building on the sea side so floors lower then 20 are mostly obstructed by the tall building. The city view was less obstructed. The beds were a little hard for a new hotel and not nearly as soft as the heavenly bed at the westin. The bathroom was nice but only had a single sink. Our room included breakfast which was American style with omelets, waffles, fresh fruit, lox, cheese and almost everything else. It was included in our rate but would have been 20 euros per person. Very nice if included in the price. The location was a little out of the way in a very new area with lots of construction surrounding it. The mall next to the hotel was very convenient. There were many places to eat and an inexpensive grocery store which also sold wine similar to a Wal Mart. It was very nice to pick up snacks and wine to enjoy in the room. Our kids also liked shopping in the mall. It wasn't a real high end mall but had several stores similar to Abbecrombie and the gap. The subway was next to the mall and a very short walk to the hotel. It took about 10 minutes to get to the center of the city from the hotel by train and about 6-7 euro by cab. We were a little worried about being so far removed from the city center when we booked this hotel but it was actually quite nice to escape to the quite of this hotel in the evening. The staff was very friendly and always helpful. The pool did not open until April so we could not use it. On the negative side, when we checked in we were given a smoking room even though we requested non-smoking and could not be moved until the next day. After we were moved we were very happy with our stay. Another negative is that there is alot of construction in the area. The hotel is few blocks from the sea and the area of the sea near the hotel is being worked on by very heavy machinary so don't expect to be right on the beach. It is a long walk to the beach area. All in all we would definately stay at this hotel again. The place is almost brand new and very modern. The rate was quite reasonable given the amenities. We paid 185 euro a night for the first room and 92.50 per night for the kids room. This included breakfast each day. Barcelona is a great city to visit and I would highly recommend visiting this exciting city."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of April 2006

Excellent staff, beautiful hotel

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"We recently spent a week in Barcelona, visiting our daughter. We selected the Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona based on reviews and used Hilton Honors points toward our stay. The location was conviently located near the tram and metro, allowing us to travel to the gothic quarter in 15 minutes. The airline lost our luggage in route to Barcelona. The staff worked daily with Iberia to locate our bags, which was great as we don't speak Catalan and seem to have difficulty having our English and Spanish understood. Each day as we returned to the hotel the employees at the front desk would greet us and provide updates. They made what could have been a less than happy visit to the city, very pleasant. The hotel was spotless and the king room very comfortable. The beautiful shopping mall next door was very handy for replenishing our wardrobe until our bags were finally delivered."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of March 2006