El Palace Hotel

• babysitting
  • tv channel one russia
  • rooftop pool
  • butler service

Good
( 2059 reviews)

Microwave food

Reviewed Tue 18th of February 2014

"Old and dreary hotel. Staff very polite, but the food is awful. I was served cold pasta and when I mentioned it was cold was told no it isn't. It was warm at the bottom and cold on top and in the middle. I hadn't realized it wasn't freshly cooked. It was sent back and 15 minutes later the dish was returned to me piping hot, with the spaghetti,congealed together after being completely rubberized in a microwave. Needless to say, I sent it back. This is meant to be a 5 star hotel!!! Same with breakfast. Awful coffee too, which is a good sign as to the quality of a hotel. Expensive and not up to standard. Very helpful staff and very quite rooms."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of February 2014

Stay here after renovations are complete

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"This review is coming from a very fussy, self-proclaimed hotel critic.

Well, I don't want to be as harsh as the others but they are mostly right. While the lobby and "tea room" are quite lovely, the rooms are not. And that's what you pay for, right? The rooms need an entire overhaul. We stayed in a suite which was a fair size but the furniture was beat-up, the bathrooms needed updating (the porcelain in the tub in one of the bathrooms was coming off). The good news is that the manager said renovations start in January 2006.

The michelin 1-star rated restaurant, Caelis, was a nice dining experience but the food (nouvelle Catelan fushion?) was a taste which left something to be desired. Very pricey for what we got. Breakfast buffet in the garden room was in a lovely setting with a large selection of basic food offerings.

It's a great location, walking distance to the Pl. Gracia shopping area and Guadi architectural attractions. Concierge staff was very nice and helpful--not all of our luggage made it and they called the airlines for us a few times daily.

I highly would recommend staying here AFTER the room renovations have been completed."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of September 2005

Was the Ritz now expensive and terrible.

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"We went a while ago but it was the same then as it is now by recent reviews. Its sad that a once great hotel has become so derided and fallen. Its a peice of history that when we visited overcharged and under delivered on quality and features. Main one no air con and no room fans and in summer that counts in Barcelona. A real shame but not to be recomended at all. I would imagine its up for redevelopment or closure!"

• Travel date: Fri 12th of August 2005

Stay elsewhere for the price

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Stayed here pre-cruise for 1 night. Found hotel on "Leading Hotels of the World" and surprised it was part of that group. We had a king bed, 2 baths and living room. The room seemed kinda old and musty. Sheets and bed about as comfortable as a LaQuinta. The hotel location is good and buffet breakfast was great. But I'd rather stay elsewhere for the price."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of August 2005

Does not deserve to be called Ritz

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"We stayed there with my wife for 3 nights. Location is good, building is average, service leaves a lot to be desired. The restaurant staff definitely need training to learn what 5 star service should be. After receiving rude service in the restaurant, the hotel manager was very apologetic and arranged for our transfer to the airport for free, which was a nice gesture. However, I would not stay there again. This hotel does not deserve to be called Ritz."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of July 2005

Horrible ...

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"The Ritz is certainly not a 5-star hotel nor is it a Leading Hotel of the World! The hotel is run down and dirty. The rooms have air-conditioning that can only be switched on (which makes the room far too cold) or off (unbearabky hot in summer), no adjustment is possible. The so-called gym consists of one machine that is out of order. The service is equally bad. We were planning to stay there for 6 nights but moved out after two nights. Me moved to the Hotel Arts which costs about the same but is much better than the Ritz."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of July 2005

5 star hotel? I don't think so

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"My wife and I stayed at Barcelona Ritz for 4 nights during May of 2005. The hotel is worthy of neither the 5 star rating nor The Leading Hotels of The World membership. The property itself is magnificent, with 12 foot ceilings, great lobby and rooms are quite large (about 500-600 sq. feet).

However, the hotel has not been renovated for quite some time, and especially the bathrooms are in bad shape. The first room we got was a Jr. Suite. It had two small square rooms and felt very compartmentalized. We asked for a single large room and got a decent one. Its carpet was very old and with stains, but otherwise OK. The surprise came when my wife almost got burned in the shower, because the faucet was circa 1950 and there was no way to estbalish consistent flow of hot and cold water.

I asked for a different room. Was shown two, with only one actually having a better bathroom situation.

The rest of stay was OK, but it was clear that neither hotel nor its staff know what 5 star service is all about."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of June 2005

Disliked the Ritz

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"I stayed at the Ritz in a Jr. Suite on May 20th and 21st. It was the worst room I have ever had. I asked to be moved and was told they would move me in the morning but they never got around to it. I called both the reception and the concierge and got no answer at either. The service was bad and reception seemed to not care. It was just not me that was dissapointed. There were several post cruise people staying at the Hotel and everyone except one did not like their room. This is not a 5 star hotel as stated. It is a two star at best. The location was good, but I will never stay there again."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of May 2005

Very disappointing

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We spent a weekend at the Ritz and we're still trying to figure out how it is rated as a five star hotel.On arrival we were informed that our room would not be ready until 4.00pm;a very late check-in time for a luxury hotel.We went to see some of the sights and when we were finally allowed into our room they forgot to bring us our luggage.After waiting forty five minutes I telephoned reception and it was brought to us.
Two days later my wife attempted to book a restaurant through the concierge.She telephoned the concierge desk for fifteen minutes without reply.She then telephoned reception,informed them of the problem and asked them to contact the concierge.The receptionist hung up the telephone while she was explaining the problem.She then telephoned the manager who was apologetic and sent us a complimentary bottle of champagne.It was a nice gesture but we'd prefer good service than good champagne.
Barcelona is a lovely city and we enjoyed ourselves outside the environs of the hotel.We'll visit Barcelona again but we'll avoid the Ritz."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of May 2005

Loved the Ritz

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"A couple of friends and I stayed at the RITZ in Barcelona April 7-12.
We loved every moment of our stay. Before going there I was afraid
the hotel would be run down, since it hasn't been renovated for the past years, but it is a lovely hotel, the rooms we were given (which were a couple of their regular rooms) were very BIG, on the sixth floor with a lovely view, with all the aminities of a Grand Hotel, like exquisite bathroom toiletries, lots of crisp linen towels etc., the hotel's buffet breakfast was wonderful and all the people in the hotel were extremely friendly and went out of their way to serve us and please us. I would also like to mention the helpfulness and efficiency of their reservation department. The location of the hotel is ideal and, if you are looking for
a good hotel with personal service, I would recommend the RITZ highly!"

• Travel date: Sat 16th of April 2005

This is not a Leading Hotel of the World

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed at the Ritz recently (March 05) and were very disappointed with the service, staff and upkeep of the hotel and rooms. Claiming to be one of the Leading Hotels of the World, the Ritz has to do a lot more to live up to the name it has bought itself. Breakfast was served in a very cold environment. The staff at the hotel did nothing that was extra special. And to top it off, one of our bags was thrown in the garbage by accident and the hotel public relations manager offered nothing when we said this was unacceptable behavior. I would highly recommend spending your money elsewhere."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of March 2005

Hotels near El Palace Hotel

Stayed at El Palace Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for El Palace Hotel

• Skillen by Skillen

"Don't have breakfast there and don't eat there. "

El Palace Hotel is also called