Barcelo Raval

Rambla del Raval 17-21, 08001 Barcelona Spain

Great Hotel!

"I booked this hotel back in June on an opening promotion for €101.50/night. The price seemed too good to be true, and before the trip we were definitely worried that the hotel wouldn't be ready in time. But when we got there, our fears were put to rest and our expectations were definitely surpassed! My wife and I both agree that this is one of the best hotels we've stayed at.

There's definitely an upscale feel to the hotel, from the first step into the lobby where you find bold colours and interesting decor - like the life-size horse statue that serves as a lamp.

The room was small, but effectively designed. Definitely not the best place to split a room with your buddy since the glass shower is out in the open, right beside the bed - although you could get away with taking turns waiting in the lobby with free internet access on 2 iMacs. I liked the integrated rainfall shower. The iPod dock came in handy, as did the button operated curtains and touchscreen thermostat, all within arms reach of the bed. For us North American travelers, there was one 110V plug under the the sink, but plugs with the larger left prong won't fit.

The location is ok, just a 5-7 minute walk from Las Ramblas, but not the safest-feeling part of town. The 2 most direct routes to Las Ramblas were via Carrer de l'Hospital or Carrer de Sant Pau, but both streets were narrow, not well-lit, and crowded with some "questionable" characters. The next street south of Sant Pau is a better route, and sometimes worth the extra 5 minute walk.

We definitely found this place at a great discount, but I would be happy paying twice as much. Expect a €25-30 cab ride from the airport. Highly recommended!"

• Travel date: Sat 25th of October 2008

Barcelo Raval

Good

"We've just returned from a weekend at the Barcelo Raval and as there are very few reviews thought we should add one. In our party were 3 couples, we were celebrating a big birthday and a short phone call explaining beforehand upgraded our room free of charge to the "matrimomal suite". Hotel is futuristic, very clean and reminded us of Laurence Llewyn Bowen with its black, white and pink decor. Room itself was lovely, the bed huge, shower powerful. You need a degree to work the coffee machine but after a few spillages on the floor we managed to get a grip of it. If you're a gadget freak the electronic a/c, curtains and above bed spotlights (!) will hit the spot. Views from the roof are superb but the pool is more like a big bath than swimming pool. During the day the location is fine, at night we preferred to get a cab back as there were a few undesirables lurking. We went room only but each morning there was a goody bag with oj, yogurt and fruit on our door handle. Reception were very helpful and all spoke English. Would recommend for couples rather than families (we left the kids at home with Nana)."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of October 2008

Perfect!

"We are three mature couples that had a wonderful weekend in the Barcelo Raval hotel in Barcelona during a weekend in October. We were a little nervous about booking the hotel because it had just opened and there were not many photos or much information to find about it on the internet.

After our stay we are compelled to write about the hotel in here. The Barcelo Raval is completely new, the rooms are spacious and tastely decorated. The showers are great, the beds and linen just wonderful - the best ever - and the view (we were on the 8th floor) was great. The small pool on the 11th floor was a great place to end the evening before going to bed. And the view from that terasse was just great - panorama view of Barcelona.

The location is perfect just a few minutes from the Rambla and many other places that are worth visiting. We gladly recommend Hotel Barcelo Raval to everyone going to Barcelona - especially couples going on a romantic weekend ;)"

• Travel date: Thu 16th of October 2008

would definately go back!

"As others on here, we stayed here and were a bit concerned before we went as there were no reviews for this hotel at the time, and only computer generated images. We're a couple in our mid twenties and thought we'd give it a go anyway and were very pleasantly surprised upon arrival. The place was so funky and modern. The rooms are really nice, very clean and again, very modern. I would definately recommend this hotel. It's only a short walk away from La Ramblas and there are metros around all over the place which are so frequent that you arrive at the platform and the seconds are counting down to when the next one is to arrive.
Had a fantastic time and I believe the hotel had a lot to do with it.
Check out the photos attached. I have more if anyone would like to see them. Happy travels!"

• Travel date: Tue 14th of October 2008

Great design, great location, great price, some teething problems

"I have just returned from a 2 night stay in the hotel with some friends and we had a great time overall.
First impressions were very good - the hotel is a striking design outside and the design continues inside. It is very trendy and well designed.
The rooms are spacious and well layed out, although the bathrooms may not be to everyone's tate... The showers are amazing though.
All of us said that the beds were the comfiest we've ever stayed in, although the blackout curtains were a little too effective!
The concierge staff were also very helpful.
However, as the hotel only opened at the end of September, there are still a few teething problems. For example, we phoned down to reception to ask for some ice to be sent to the room (there are no ice machines on the floors) only to be told the first time that they had run out, and the second time that we need to go to reception to collect it ourselves. Not exactly 4 star service...

A friend also asked for an iron and ironing board to be sent to her room (the in-room information book said these were available and not exactly an odd request!) only to be told these weren't available but they offer an ironing service which has to be paid for.

I'm sure these are just small niggles in the opening weeks which will be straightened out soon, and for such a well-located hotel with such great design features (and nice touches like in-room espresso machines) we were happy to overlook these little issues.

The rooftop 'pool' is more like a big hot tub, but does have stunning views over the city - the view at night is beautiful and highly recommended.

All in all, a great hotel and good value. We paid €160/room/night. Not sure if this was an introductory offer for the opening few weeks, but the hotel is comparable with those for a lot more.
We all said that if we come back to Barcelona, we'll be staying here"

• Travel date: Tue 14th of October 2008

Loved the Raval

Good

"I've just stayed at the Raval and we loved it. The rooms are beautiful and the hotel is very stylish. The fitness centre and the roof terrace are lovely but we were surprised the pool on the roof was the size of a postage stamp. Staff were great and the horse in reception is definitely worth a photo... you'll see what I mean ;-)

It is worth bearing in mind if sharing with a friend that the "bathroom" is in the new style that is springing up every where in European design hotels which looks great but isn't so practical - it's in the middle of the room - although at least the glass wall of the shower was semi frosted.

The hotel is part of the overall refurbishment of the Raval area and there are some good restaurants on the street and it's easy to see that in 6months to a year it will be much more tourist friendly. However, at the moment, the two main roads that lead the few hundred metres to Las Ramblas (centre of the old town) are a little dodgy and we were certainly careful walking back and forth but there are plenty of tourists around even into the evening.

DO NOT walk down the street directly beside and behind the hotel as it still seems to be a red light district although the police were in plain site when we made this mistake.

Overall, the hotel is very good value and a great base for a trip to Barcelona. I would certainly stay there again."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of October 2008

Great find for a great pice!

Good

"Have just returned from a couple of nights here, I took my boyfriend there for his bday. I was a bit nervous about staying here as there were no reviews and all pics on the website were computer generated - the hotel opened the day that we arrived.

I'm so glad that I took the risk. The location couldn't have been more perfect - it was a couple of mins walk from Las Ramblas and you sort of come out in the middle so you are a short walk from either end. We walked to all sites but got the train to La Sagrada Familla and La Pedrera - the trains are sooo easy to use! To get to Las Ramblas you do have to walk through some back streets and even thought there were some shifty characters, I can honestly say I always felt safe.

The room was lovely - though I would say if you went with a friend there isn't much privacy as all very open plan. The whole hotel is fresh and funky with very moden interior. Teh staff were more than helpful but still get the knack of everything - sure it will be even better once it has been open a while. Little things like then not having an iron etc were quite annoying but sure this will change.

If you go up on the roof there is a little swimming pool and an amazing view of the whole city with free telescopes and stuff - wish I would have got a picture because it was amazing!

Would definately recommend this hotel - location, decor and staff made it perfect for what we wanted! :-)"

• Travel date: Thu 9th of October 2008

Funky Hotel

"Stayed couple of days ago- enjoyed hotel, great rooms fantastic shower but it is in middle of room so not great for modesty when staying with a friend as i was!! Enjoyed using top of range coffee maker and found toilet in cupboard a bit disconcerting. Staff nice, views from roof amazing -pool tiny weeny-my tip, get a room above 6th floor for fantastic views(we had a view of the office next door from5th floor). Surrounding area not great- we were told by bar next door to keep handbags firmly on laps and under table. Seems safe to walk there in day but felt nervous at night. Police have very recently done big sweep of prostitutes premises in area and saw plenty of police around. Very close to la Rambla. Fantastic restaurant up road (turn right)china de mercat. I would not bring kids to this hotel but great for romantic weekend. taxis cheap if nervous at night!"

• Travel date: Wed 1st of October 2008

Barcelo Raval - a very cool hotel!

"I have only never felt moved to write a review before in my life, as although I have experienced great (and very bad!) service and standards it has never been a surprise. However I want to write this to inform other travellers about this amazing gem of a hotel because a) it is brand new and no reviews or pictures exist and I had to take a gamble on whether to go for it or not for my girlfiend's surpise birthday; and b) because we had such a great time we want to thank the hotel by recommending it to everyone!

(Just to put into context for readers - we are a couple in our late twenties, and have stayed in the top hotels of Dubai, Miami and Singapore, yet also the more basic chain hotels of Europe so have a wide experience of standards to refer against).

Hotel Barcelo Raval is a really cool, chic design/boutique hotel. From the moment you arrive outside and see its ergonomic design you know this will be a different experience. The lobby is ultra modern in styling with really interesting features (such as the life size horse that is a lamp), cool furniture items dispersed around apple mac flat screens for free online web access, and a minimalist bar area. The staff were fantastic in their welcome, all with very good English and we were soon checked in and on our way to the room. The hotel floors are dark with no natural light, but this accentuates things such as the fact no doors have room numbers - these are light in neon on the floor in the carpet instead. Sensor lights turn on as you approach your door and the electronic door key is not inserted into any slot, instead just waved over the sensor for the door to open.

Inside the room is an all in one open plan design (it's not huge, but more than adequate) - with white bed and floor with stark bright colour and retro wallpaper and curtains. The shower cube is quite central and glass on both sides so you can see right in from the bed (fantastic for couples, not sure how it would work if you were travelling with a mate!). Some styling features that symbolise the room: there is no drain plug in the shower, the water trickles away around the square edge of the shower room; the toilet is hidden behind a mirror door that is accessed by sliding along and closing the wardrobe, ipod dock, flat screen tv, espresso machine, low level lighting for night-time, and electronic control panel for all lighting, curtains, etc....the list is very long!

Another great feature is the rooftop floor - take a trip up there and you will get a panoramic view of the city as you walk all around the building and there are telescopes for your use too. The rooftop pool is small, not really for swimming in, more to dip in while sipping cocktails but it was not that warm for us to try. We wrapped up and went up at night, took a bottle of champagne with us and looked out at Barcelona under the stars sitting by the neon lit pool area. Amazing!

We were one of the first guests to stay there - it only officially opened around the 24th September - yet everything went very very smooth. The hotel is only 5 mins walk to La Ramblas, and the square it is in has some very nice restaurants and bars and was quite lively on Friday night. We really loved the hotel and it really suits 'younger travellers', especially couples on a short city break. If you go to Barcelona you really should not be spending most of your time in the hotel room - but if you do, then I cannot imagine a better one than at Hotel Barcelo Raval!"

• Travel date: Mon 29th of September 2008

Hotels near Barcelo Raval

Stayed at Barcelo Raval? Share your insight.

Barcelo Raval is also called