Good

Myself, my wife and our 2 young children...

Reviewed Sat 26th of January 2008

"Myself, my wife and our 2 young children (aged 2 & 4) had a completely wonderful week here.
The resort is fanatic for families with young children and there is plenty to keep the little ones entertained with a variety of pools, parks, a good children's club and a beach close by. The toddlers area, with a splash pool and play area, is completely enclosed making it safe - and therefore relaxing for parents too.

After dinner each evening there is a "minidisco" which our children loved - this is also great for adults as we were able to sit at the bar and enjoy a drink while still having a full view of the children wearing themselves out.

The food was excellent and very varied with multiple choices each night (fish, meats, stews, rices, pasta, roasts, salads, vegetarian etc). Breakfast was no different - from bacon and eggs to smoked salmon and caviare I cannot agree with any of the negative comments about the food at all - even had a separate section for the children. As our visit was out of peak season, once seated the cues around the buffet were never a problem. However, in peak season I can imagine this changing.

The apartments are first class, simple, well finished and functional (small kitchen & fridge) with a patio/balcony and garden area in front of each one where the children can run or you can sit with a glass of wine in the evening.

I have 2 tips for people visiting this hotel with young children ; the half board plus option includes alcoholic drinks with your evening meal - a couple of beers and a bottle of wine are not a problem - consider if you will see any value from paying extra for AI.
Try not to buy anything from the site shop (pool inflatables - snacks - wine etc) as you can get the same from the small supermarket by the beach for half the price!

• Travel date: Sat 26th of January 2008

This was our first holiday with our 16 m...

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2007

"This was our first holiday with our 16 month old son and we picked it as it was only a 2hr flight. The resort is fantastic and especially good for kids - no cars so they could toddle about and didn’t need to go in the buggy or be carried everywhere!

The reception area is spotless and the staff very accommodating - their English was far superior than our Spanish will ever be.

The apartment was immaculate and as we were on the ground floor our son could play safely on the patio. Whilst the travel cot was clean, the mattress didn’t fit it and there was a gap that my son kept falling down but once I had packed it with a blanket it was fine. It was very handy having a fridge to keep his milk and the shop at the top of the hill was adequate (but pricey - nappies were £14 for 16!!!). The supermarkets down the road in Punta Prima had everything and much cheaper.

The pools and play areas for the kids were great and so clean. As we went in September it wasn’t too busy and plenty of room that you didn’t feel on top of one another. I can imagine that at the height of the season it might be a different matter

The only thing that really let it down was the food. I read all the reviews on this website and took it with a pinch of salt but it was disappointing. The food was the same every night - there was nothing really wrong with it, but got monotonous and certainly didn’t have any Spanish feel to it, although they might be catering for most of us Brits tastes! The restaurant was clean and the staff great. However, the food for the kids was inedible (all very salty and mostly fried). There were a lot of complaints and people tried to get moved. It is such a shame as the rest of the place was great and I would recommend half board or B&B, as there are great restaurants in Punta Prima.

It didn’t spoil things too much but the food certainly isn’t worth its 5 star rating.

Word of warning for you couples - if you are going for a romantic couple holiday it is probably worth steering clear as I haven’t seen so many prams or highchairs in one place!

• Travel date: Fri 26th of October 2007

Just come back from our second trip to t...

Reviewed Fri 21st of September 2007

"Just come back from our second trip to the Insotel Club, and as the first time it was excellent. The food was probably better than first time around, which helped, as that was the only issue we had with the hotel the first time we went. Having only an eighteen month old daughter we have managed to avoid going in the peak periods, second week in September being our prefered choice. The weather is still warm enough but most of the school aged kids have gone back. I would think it would get crowded with 2000 guests in!

We went with another couple this time and they had a great time as well, so we do recommend it to others. I take the point that the food isn't what you would get if you went to the Caribbean or Far East at a 5 star hotel, however I believe that that is more down to it being more a dining "hall" than a restaurant (this kind of ruins any chance of an intimate atmosphere!). The food was still good, having said that."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of September 2007

My husband and I took our 1 year old son...

Reviewed Sun 18th of February 2007

"My husband and I took our 1 year old son on his first holiday here.

As we were going so late in the season, we were due to stay in the Club Punta Prima but the hotel closed the day before we were due to come home, so we were upgraded for the duration of our holiday by First Choice (very lucky!!).

I was very worried about our son as we had never taken him abroad but as it was we had a lovely time. The flight was just right (just over 2 hours); the transfer was so quick he had no time to whinge and the same been true on the way home.

The hotel and resort were quiet (I guess because we went so late in the season) however this worked to our advantage, as we never had to wait for a table.

The pool was not too rowdy and the staff were very attentive (by our last couple of days they would just bring our drinks without ordering as they knew what we liked!).

The accommodation was lovely, before having our son my husband and I travelled mostly long haul to 5* hotels in the Caribbean or Far East and the accommodation here was of an equal if not better standard.

Our son was given a travel cot which he was fine in. The food in the Insotel Club did get a bit samey however the food in the Prestige was lovely.

The resort itself was really family friendly. The shops sell Heinz and Hipp jars. The pharmacist sold most brands of baby milk and they sold Pampers and Huggies in most stores. The beach was nice again not too busy and not too big.

All in all we had lovely time and thoroughly would recommend this resort to those with young families.

Infact one of my friends is going in May on our recommendation.

The Prestige is definitely the nicer of the two hotels, as the rooms are very plush however, I think we would have been more than happy in the Club.

10 out of 10!"

• Travel date: Sun 18th of February 2007

Weeks 1&2 Sept 2006 14 nights AI family...

Reviewed Sun 1st of October 2006

"Weeks 1&2 Sept 2006 14 nights AI family holiday two adults + 3 1/4 yr old and 7 month old, on the whole we had a great time.

Checking in, fine those on AI basis have their photo taken and this is then embossed onto an AI pass card to show at meal times and at the bar.

Complex is large, yes there is a steep hill from top of resort to bottom, fortunately we were midway, accommodation, separate bedroom with lounge and small kitchenette which really suited us whilst making up feeds for the little one.

We were ground floor and there is a terrace straight onto lovely grassed area where children can run around if they wish. The hotel's grounds are kept first class.

Rest of complex - pool areas get the thumbs up as 5 star, never once a problem with sun bed reservation, like anywhere else could be though during the 6 week school holiday period. Indoor pool as well which was nice.

Meals, food in our opinion was excellent, plenty of choice and variety, AI wine though a bit of a disappointment like other reviews we thought the wine was poor / cheap.

Entertainment - Usual daytime entertainment from the hard working Insotel team, evenings children’s mini disco every night at 8.30pm followed by mostly performed by Insotel team shows, unfortunately only one external show per week. Bar service is ok, international spirits are served, for lager drinkers though the AI from the tap isn't great and you do have to pay a supplement for named brands bottles I'm afraid.

Punta Prima - lovely family resort, not much there but you feel really safe and at ease, not a football shirted holiday maker in sight, there is approx 5 / 6 restaurants, 3 supermarkets, Chemist, lovely sandy beach and a couple more children’s play grounds with good equipment.

For those with children at the hotel, there are two decent play grounds, the mini club is well run and the pool bar serves as AI named brands ice creams and ice lollies - proper Cornettos!

The nationality mix was a good 50% German maybe more, approx 25% from UK (at the most) and also folk from Holland, France and surprisingly Slovakia, quite embarrassing to think most of those from other countries speak their own language plus English, whereby us Brit's just speak English!

All in all great for families, maybe not so great for couples as tired little ones at meal times can make some noise! "

• Travel date: Sun 1st of October 2006

We have just returned from a fortnight a...

Reviewed Tue 26th of September 2006

"We have just returned from a fortnight at the Insotel Punta Prima as all inclusive guests, and whilst overall we had a pleasant holiday, I would like to warn any intending guests about the food and dinning experience you're likely to encounter. It is lousy!!! If you're happy to pay 5 star prices for 3 star ambiences and fight your way to the buffet morning, noon and night, then this is the hotel for you!!

The dinning facilities and food quality, choice and presentation let this potentially wonderful hotel down badly and do not justify its price or star rating. Staff attitudes at reception, in the dinning rooms and at the bars are poor to boot, with many clearly over-worked and under strain, forgetting you're the one on hols. If you don't like waiting in line, this hotel should be avoided.

Pity holiday firms and brochures are not more accurate + grade three hills in the middle of the hotel complex don’t help!"

• Travel date: Tue 26th of September 2006