Another Wonderful Holiday

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"This hotel is described as small and friendly in the brochure and that is exactly what you get. The hotel was NOT full of retired English people, The food in the resteurant WAS very good and we DIDNT need a car to get around as the buses and taxis are very cheap and reliable.
The staff went out of their way to ensure we had an enjoyable holiday and we wont hesitate to return next year."

• Travel date: Fri 17th of August 2007

lovely holiday

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"We had a wonderful holiday at this hotel staff were lovely and very helpful the pool area and terraces were immacutely clean rooms too were very clean but basic could do with an upgrade definately need air conditioning at the room we were in got quite stuffy also could do with a few mod cons like a small fridge maybe even kettle to make the odd cup of tea and a hairdryer I really do think the rooms do need these as because of the heat they are more a necessity but apart from that we had a lovely holiday and if they put in at least the air conditioning we would probably go back very enjoyable many thanks"

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of July 2007

My mum and myself stayed at the Hotel De...

Reviewed Tue 16th of January 2007

"My mum and myself stayed at the Hotel Del Almirante in Aug 2006, and did not know what to expect as we knew beforehand that it was only graded as a 2 star Hotel. However, we need not have worried - the hotel is lovely and historical with a very homely feel.

The owner,manager and staff could not be more helpful. The rooms are basic but very clean, and I think the location and views over Mahon harbour more than compensate for the basic bedrooms. We stayed on a halfboard basis, and the food was predominatly tradition Spanish - however this was all part of the authenticity. The pool area was lovely and peaceful.

This is an ideal location, if you wish for traditional surroundings and peace and quite, with the choice of walking into Mahon or Es Castell, or venturing further afield.

I would not hesitate in recommending this lovely hotel, and I look forward to returning."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of January 2007

british old peoples home

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"room was comfortable and clean but would benefitfrom air conditioning. breakfast okay but dont eat in the restaurant food is awful! good location but need a car to get aroud . full of retired elderly english people who return year after year to play cards and argue politics etc etc.felt more like a retirement home. disappointing!"

• Travel date: Sun 8th of October 2006

The place to stay

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"We enjoyed a very relaxing holiday at Collingwood house. The staff were second to none, very friendly, helpful and professional. The room was clean and well serviced but basic. It would have been greatly improved with air conditioning. If this is installed we will be going again."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of August 2006

LOVIN IT!

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Love the hotel, the staff were very friendly and on the last night the bar staff and I went for a drink in the local pub. The food was lovely and the dining room window over looks the gorgeous Mahon Bay with the sailing boats going by....

The main house has about 8 rooms, and then the rest of the rooms are around the pool outside the main house.

The rooms were very clean, didnt have a TV, but I didnt need this as all I needed was a quiet time.

The Owner of the house has a parratt and he often comes outside on his little cage and speaks to you which is a nice touch.

The main town is about 15 mins walk away - picturesque and loads of shops, bars and coffee shops. There is also the most amazing hand bag shop with bags all over the walls.... you have never seen so many bags. Any womans dream.

The hotel is situated overlooking the bay and is in the middle of a large sort of field and is also walking distance from Es Castell.

Wonderful holiday consifering I went on my own, the people were so lovely I would go again"

• Travel date: Fri 30th of December 2005

very friendly

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"As with previous reviews I agree the staff were very helpful and friendly and nothing seemed too much trouble. Plenty of food to eat in the restaurant and as many helpings as you wanted.

However, the rooms were very basic and we personally found that our clothes and bedding seemed damp throughout our stay making it very uncomfortable and it is for this reason only we will not be returning.

Es Castelle was very nice with quiet surroundings and just a short walk to the harbour. Plenty of bars and restaurants."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of September 2005

Coming back for more!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We are coming back in June 05 for our third visit. Our friends had been going for more than 10 years and took us along one year!
It is very well located for a nice evening walk and dinner down by the Harbour. Those boats are amazing! Also a short taxi ride to some of the best spanish restaurants in Menorca.
The staff at the hotel can not do enough for you. Sato is great, try one of his cocktails! He is happy to recommend the good restaurants to try out.
Already looking forward to those lazy days by the pool eating 'chippies' and drinking Pomarders MmmMmmm!"

• Travel date: Thu 17th of March 2005

Home from Home

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"I'm just booking for our 13th visit to the Hotel. The minute you walk in the door, you feel as if you've never been away.

Enrique,Maria, Sator and all the staff make you feel so welcome, as well as staing in such an historical house, with the most excellent views over the harbour.

Such a peaceful hotel, cosidering the road is so close.

Can't wait for May to come round so we'll be back again, meeting up with our regular friends.

Sator, get Barry a Brandy ready."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of February 2004

love this hotel and staff to bits

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"we had a wondeful holiday at the Del Almirante all the staff are perfect in every way. We managed to get the room we requested with a supreme view over the port of mahon. the food was excellent. we will be back so Maria please make sure that they dont move the American bar we will be lost without this as a starting point. Have you still saved the sugar?"

• Travel date: Fri 15th of August 2003

nice , quiet but basic

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"This is nice ONE STAR hotel with a lot of history. The only historic bits are in the main house though. Most rooms are around the pool. There is no air conditioning in any of the rooms, and some rooms do not even have ceiling fans. Rooms are clean. They have a nice swimming pool. It makes a good place for touring the island. Staff are nice. Quiet in the evening. It is also used as a dumping ground for package holiday people who are 'allocated hotel on arrival'. They can be very disappointed, as the hotel is no where near a beach. You can walk to the city from here, about 1 mile. You need a hire car if you stay here."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of June 2003