Grupotel Macarella Suites & Spa

Gran Via Son Xoriguer, s/n Urb Son Xoriguer, 07769 Ciutadella, Menorca Spain

Good

already booked for next year.....

"We have just returned from 2 weeks at the Macarella. We booked out flights, accomodation and transfers all seperately and got a fantastic price. Everything was perfect from checking in to checking out. We e-mailed the hotel before arrival with a couple of room requests and were pleased to get everything we asked for. Maid service was superb, daily (except Sunday and Wed). Although the hotel was full we never had a problem getting 4 sunloungers and a parasol round the pool, the pool was great for all ages, nice shallow walk in to approx 2 meters at the deepest and also a seperate kiddies pool. Our daughter (age 7) went to the kids club every day (except Sunday which is day off) from 11am-12.30 then 3pm-4.30, this is the first time she has gone off but it was great because is was held next to the snack bar and she could see us round the pool. Kiddies mini disco was nightly 8.45 til 10pm then the entertainment followed straight after, couple professional shows a week and other nights quizzes, Mr. Macarella, who wants to be a millionaire etc. We ate in the snack bar for a couple of lunches which were very reasonably priced and stuff for kids, we didnt eat in the restaurant for breakfast or evening meal but a few we spoke to said it was very nice. The hotel is less than 5 mins walk to a small but lovely beach and the same to the marina which is beautiful, we ate in many lovely places, bahia, la fontana, tropicana and many more, we only experienced 1 bad meal in el pato. We looked around lots of other hotels on 1 of our 2 cloudy days and found that we'd made the right choice, this was by far the best hotel in cala n bosch. Roll on next year :-)"

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of September 2007

Fantastic holiday by the kennedy family.

Good

"I booked this hotel through Travel Republic adding on flights and transfers.I emailed ahead asking for a high floor with view of pool and was very pleased to get exactly what I had asked for.We stayed in a one bedroomed apartment which was adequate for our stay.We were half-board and allocated a table for our whole stay.The food was very nice with plenty of choice for breakfast including delicious omellettes cooked to order.Dinner also had plenty of choice including something for the children each night e.g fish nuggets (but homemade).
The swimming pool had plenty of sunbeds and parasols although people did reserve to get a favourite place.We went to the beach a couple of times which was beautiful -clear warm waters in sandy coves just 5-10 mins walk from the hotel.
The entertainment in the hotel was as usual, my children still go to the mini disco and persuaded us to stay for the entertainment after.We watched an African show which was good, Disney show which was ok and a terrible show with a guy singing lots of different songs.The harbour is a moments walk away and is bustling with lots of restaurants, shops,stalls and bars and is very pleasant for a stroll in the evening.
We thoroughly enjoyed our holiday and would recomend it to families with primary school age.The hotel although full was quiet."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of August 2007

Great family holiday !! !! !!

Good

"We have just come back from two weeks in Minorca, at Cala'n Bosch staying at Grupotel Cala Macarella Apartments.

Accomodation:
We found the accomodation clean and comfortable, there was regular maid-service (except wednesday and sunday).
Our accomodation consisted of two apartments, both including: one bedroom apartment with two sofa-beds, a kittenette (with a kettle and toaster provided) , table, and a bath and seperate shower in bathroom.
The pool area was not that large, but never really seemed over-crowded. There were activitites, but seemed to cater for under 10's.
The reception staff were extremley friendly and helpful on a number of occasions.
Handy hint: our bathroom door became jammed; use the inside of the provided pen to release the lock !!!! :)

Resort
The hotel is a two minute walk to the harbour. This has a lively, but not rowdy atmosphere; with pleanty of resturants, and bars to enjoy! On the other hand there are no clubs or discos which was a bit of a dissapointment to the two 18 yearolds in our party.
We enjoyed eating out particularly in the Venezia Iitalian restaurant.
In our party were 3 adults, and four teenageers (15-18yrs). We found this a very enjoyable holiday, and would reccomend this resort and hotel to anyone!!!!! :)"

• Travel date: Mon 6th of August 2007

Great for young children & superb food!

Good

"Have just got back from a week. 4 adults & 5 children 5 years & under. The hotel pool was perfect as 50% of it is shallow enough for the children to paddle in & warms up nicely in the sun. We did HB & the food was superb plenty for the children & a lovely selection for adults (smoked salmon, prawns, freshly cooked sword fish, roast carved joints, paella ......) and the staff were so tolerant (the mess we left behind after the small ones)!! The mini disco (8.30-9pm) and evening shows were also great (we were lucky our children all had afternoon naps so they managed to stay up til 10.30ish when the evening finished).
Not overcrowded, mixture of nationalities, all seemed lovely people. Great room service, even offered parasols to take to the beach - a short walk away ... busier, so we stayed by the pool mainly......
Wish we were still there .... the weather was perfect breezy & sunny at this time of year (no-one got burnt)!"

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of July 2007

very nice 4 star thompson apt

Good

"my wife,son 4yr and myself stayed here for 2wks we had room 329 it had 3 balconies! all round sun no matter what time of the day.we had sea views,all bits and bobs you usually get although a toaster,small oven would have just topped it off perfectly.large shelving child friendly pool,loads of bed,s,parasol,s no fighting for them.cant comment on eateries as we just drink out, buy in drin,k and then make our own food as we,re health freak,s who like to stay in shape.drinks were more expensive here as families tend to drink less not like a gruop of lads so they charge you more for less,it was more expensive than cyprus.cheepest to buy water and beer was left out of front of apt betterbuy s/market.friut and veg topmarket bottom right entrance out of apts across road.hire a car if you get bored easily as the beach,pool are fab if thats what you like but 20 mins round habour 20mins round resort and your done,hire a car in uk its cheaper,weather,people were great,hotel run kids club was naff staff left our 4yr old with another child on their own by pool side bar while she went off to clubhouse and the apts are accessable from all entrance,s and excites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! luckily we were in eye shot of this and took him away,used it only when we could see him which was always by the pool bar colouring which in the day is all thy did so he was vry bored.use but be warned,but you,ll find they,ll be in the pool 24/7.its a very nice accom dont worry if u,ve booked its well worth the money"

• Travel date: Mon 16th of July 2007

great family friendly apartments

Good

"Just returned from 11 days at the Macarella. We are a family of 4 with a 2 year old and 6 month old. We had a great time. We found the apartments to be clean and large enough, could have been slightly bigger.
We did have a kettle and toaster and pans in our room at no extra cost or deposits required, there were also plenty of blankets in the room, not that they were required.
We found the staff helpful and friendly but rarely came into contact with them.
The pool area is good with a nice shelved large pool and smaller kids pool. Plenty of beds and parasols, and a slide and swings for kids.
My only complaint is that the place where the mini disco is is a complete pain to get to if you have a pushchair, as it is up stairs above reception with no lift to get there.
I wouldn't bother with the breakfast if you're room only, nip to the supermarket a minute away or to the harbour for a beakfast there. It is not worth 14 euro each.

The apartments are ina perfect spot, 1 minute walk to the harbour with all the restaurants and 5 minute walk to the beach, which is plenty big enough and has a lovely gently shelved edge to the sea.
A final comment on menorca, if you have a double side by side buggy it is a nightmare, every doorway is narrow and I would recommend taiking 2 separate buggies."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of June 2007

Great aparthotel

Good

"Stayed there last year and loved it! The hotel was clean, the staff were friendly and the food was good. The hotel is just a few hundred yards from the centre of the resort. We had an upper room and it was great. We had a bedroom and bathroom downstairs and a large living room/ kitchen upstairs.
The upper rooms have 3 balconies, so you can have sun or shade all day long. There are some good resturants in calan bosch. Really liked the italian next to the posh place with the aquarium."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of June 2007

Great Apartments, Shame about the Reception Staff

Good

"We have just returned from a one week stay at the Macarella Aparthotel in Cala n Bosch. Cala n Bosch is a lovely, child friendly resort, which is centred around a small Marina. There are some excellent restaurants to be found around the "square" namely La Fontana and Tropicana, which provide reasonably priced, great quality food. The staff are really cheerful and polite and nothing is too much trouble.... which is more than can be said for the Macarella!

The Apartments are in an excellent position; only a couple of minutes walk from the Marina and are set in beautifully kept grounds. The hotel pool area is immaculate with plenty of sunloungers and parasols for everyone.

We had a one bedroom apartment, which consisted of a lounge area with two extra fold out beds, a small kitchen area, dining table and four chairs and bathroom with a separate shower cubicle. The cleanliness of the apartments is second to none and cannot be faulted at all, however within the kitchen there is no kettle or toaster provided. These have to be hired from the hotel at an extra 11 Euros per item, perweek with a deposit of 15 Euros on all items. The hotel does not keep a stock of these items and have to order them from the hire company, but be warned! If you check in on a weekend and request these items then they will then usually arrive on the Monday. I feel for 4* accommodation and the prices charged to stay at the hotel a kettle at least should be included within the kitchen area.

Rooms are not cleaned on a Sunday or Wednesday, which is fair enough although it would still be nice for someone to bring clean towels to your room on these days!

Food at the Aparthotel is fairly mediocre. Breakfast is 14 Euros per person and Dinner 20 Euros per person. Dining at one of the many restaurants in the resort centre proves to be far more cost effective and offers a great deal more choice.

The evening entertainment was quite good with a couple of dance shows and a mini disco for the children, which was extremely popular amongst the 3-5 year olds!

As this was early season, the Aparthotel was fairly quiet which was nice and relaxing, however it felt as though any request made to the staff on Reception was a huge chore for them to carry out. I asked on the Tuesday evening for an extra blanket and was told that because there is no housekeeping on a Wednesday (bearing in mind this was Tuesday??) I wouldn't be able to have a blanket until the Thursday. When Thursday arrived and I asked again for an extra blanket the Receptionist went into the room behind the Desk and brought one out for me to take immediately. Why couldn't she have done this on the Tuesday evening?

The day before we checked out we asked whether it would be possible to view a two-bedroom apartment as we were thinking of returning to the resort later in the season and would like the extra room. This request was met with a forceful "No, it is not possible." I explained the reasons behind the request but to no avail, the rude Receptionist was adamant that we couldn't possibly view this type of apartment. Obviously an extra booking by a returning guest is something that the hotel does not need and will certainly not get from my family this year!

I think one or two of the Reception staff could certainly benefit from a lesson in good manners and how to smile at guests however the waiters/waitresses and housekeeping staff were very pleasant.

All in all these 4 Star Apartments are perfect for families requiring the extra room and I would recommend them, HOWEVER, please do not expect the Reception staff to provide you with 4 Star service. They could and must do better as they are letting down a super Hotel complex!"

• Travel date: Fri 18th of May 2007

Very Good Hotel

Good

"My Husband, 2 year old daughter and myself stayed here in September and loved it. I took ages picking the hotel ( I am sooo fussy) and believe me it lived up to all expectations. The apartment was clean and one of the best I have ever stayed in. My daughter loved the mini club disco and still does all the dances now!
It is ideally located near to evreything.
The pool is excellent we spent most of our time in there and never struggled to get a sun bed.
The only thing I would say is do not go Half Board as food is very average and there are plenty of reasonably priced restaurants a two minute walk away. I am considering booking again for next year. So if you are considering book it you won't be dissapointed."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of January 2007

Fantastic family holiday

Good

"We stayed in the Marcarella in Menorca in July 2006 for 14 nights. We were the advanced party with our two friends and two kids joining us for a week in the middle of our holiday. I had booked it , so was fairly fussy of what I was looking for. It lived up to all our expectations and more. We were a party of three and our young daughter ( age 3) had a ball! The childrens entertainers were our highlight. They had an amazing gentle and patient manner and were very good fun. The pool was fantastic, plenty of space, the apartment was just like the photographs and in very good condition and fairly roomy. Location was perfect, a very short stroll and you were at the marina of Cala n Bosch. We met lots of lovely other families and everyone had a great time. I would sincerely recommend this hotel to anyone with small children wanting an easy going family holday. Dont expect any wild party nights, this is not what this hotel is all about.We were self catering and would recommend opting for meals to be included as we ate there at breakfast and at dinner on a number of occasions. A very memorable holiday for us all.

Karin ( Newton Mearns)"

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of January 2007

Worts dirtiest hotel I've stayed in

"Holiday Village Minorca 2016

I am writing this email in deep disappointment on the standard quality and total lack of cleanliness on our first choice holiday village holiday this year and safety in Minorca
we always go on holiday village holidays as we are a family of six children and two adults this because the fact it would be too expensive for us to eat out every night and entertain the children we have every year for the last two years and you can check your records going to The Holiday Village in Tenerife where it is absolutely amazing and clean great for the children at night and to be honest one of the best secure holiday villages we have been to so reading some of the reviews we decided to go with another first choice holiday village in Minorca this year unfortunately when we arrived after 1 .5 hour bus journey from one end of the island to another as stated on your description 60 minutes we got off the coach very hot and sweaty with our six children then we entered the hotel and was greeted by first choice rep we was given our wristbands and allocated our room.
Once in the room we could see there was a few issues but nevertheless the children were excited and wanted to go to see the pool so we half unpacked our stuff and went for a look around the complex.
We managed to walk around the complex and had noticed it was quite small but nevertheless we got a drink and went back to the room and went to sleep, on our first night sleeping there we could smell a very strong smell of Urine
once we awoke in the morning my daughter had noticed that there was water also in the hallway coming from the toilet and seeping through the wardrobes I can only think this must be coming from the waste from the toilet this made the room damp and my daughter had suffered Chronic lung disease was sleeping in a damp smelly room
I also had noticed that there was lots of mold in the bathroom and scum so I decided to go after rep at lunchtime and see if they could take a look at our room and possibly move us.
The rep was very understanding and came and took photographs on her iPad she said this was not really acceptable and she would speak to hotel management to find out why I was given a room in such bad condition and try to get us moved .
In the meantime I open the balcony doors which lead on to a small piece of dirt next to a main bus stop the buses were coming in every 20 minutes this was very noisy and disruptive so all of these things adding up with the room being damp the handle missing of the furniture the smell the bus is constantly passing us I was getting a little frustrated with this holiday but nevertheless carried on I decided to go and put my towels out on the beds as I have six children and me and my wife is a total of 8 I was looking to get 4 sunbeds I put my towels down at 7-45am and went with my family for breakfast , after breakfast I returned with my family to the pool to find other people sitting on my beds, I asked them why they were sitting there and they replied to me because they was free so I asked around if anyone knew where are towels were and they told me that the reps took them off the sunbed as we cannot reserve any sunbeds and put them on the stage ,but when I went down before to put these on there was lots of towels on beds so but mine on the stage with about six or seven others now I was getting totally pissed off with this place the reps quite enjoyed making our lives hell and had smirked about it
I had worked all year and spent £6000 on a four star holiday village from first choice and this was not four-star more like 1 star I was really getting pissed off and so were a lot of other holidaymakers.
Putting all this to one side I think my family back to the room where we sat down all of my children were very unhappy all the poor family would like to go home and will now experience possibly one of the worst holiday we have ever ever had I'm so angry I was trying to find out if I could arrange flights home on the third day of being there
right now face trying to move rooms I went back to the rep and asked why I have not been moved yet and she said she would follow this up with hotel management ,
hotel management agreed to move me six days into my 10 day holiday for a room that was just a bit cleaner then the room I was in
Food in the restaurant was absolutely disgraceful most days we could not even get a table that could fit eight people around it
they have tables for 4-6 so most of the time we had to sit separately and not as a family on our family holiday
fizzy drink well it tasted like fizzy dirty water
Now I really was going spare me and my wife have now started arguing because you're we are not very happy. I spent £6000 on a 10 day holiday with you is absolutely appalling/ the slush puppy machine is never working So the children require ice cream but can't have it until 12 o'clock and the day is very hot and the kids are on holiday and want an ice cream but you had to choose ice cream from the bar there for 3 euros each so if the children see others kids sitting there eating ice cream u feel obliged to let yours have one with six children I was spending spending €18 each day along with no minibar we had to buy our own bottles of water each day at two euros and cans of soft drink as the soft drink at the bar was like fizzy dirty water that just gave you belly ache
The entertainment at night what's shocking and I have never seen this sort of entertainment even at the back and a caravan park in England a lot of people stood up and walked away it was absolutely unprofessional and shocking at one point one of The reps decided he'd had an enough and got up he told us he was leaving he could not work in this dirty place also he has had enough and left
In my kitchen in our apartment things were dangerous I had loads of rust in my fridge which the baby caught his fingers on and I also had piece of timber screws in it that would falling off the wall so to list my argument as above
Apartment was very damp moldy had many safety issues fridge with rusty handle is missing from wardrobes wardrobes fell off burn marks on the furniture balcony doors opening onto a dirty piece of mud with a bus top outside which was a constant worry
No reservation of sunbeds restaurant food was absolutely disgusting burnt try and always the same fizzy drinks were not very nice no ice cream and 12 o'clock/slush puppy machine was rarely working no minibar in the room transfer time incorrect by 40 minute
So all in all I was so upset and so were my family as I work so hard all year to enjoy the family together for our summer holiday and this is what I delivered them can you let me know your views on this and to add my little son had picked up a bug from the room so he was unwell for some of the holiday due to the germs

Anthony shoulder

• Travel date: Sun 21st of August 2016

Good 3 star

"Basic room - average size 1 bed apt
clean but looking tired
restuarant disappointing
great location
great pool - no probs with sunbeds
little entertainment

• Travel date: Wed 9th of September 2009

Hotels near Grupotel Macarella Suites & Spa

Stayed at Grupotel Macarella Suites & Spa? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Grupotel Macarella Suites & Spa

• wyscrs by wyscrs

"not much more than restauarants - fine if you are not half board "

• Tony S by Tony S

"None you should stay somewhere else "

Grupotel Macarella Suites & Spa is also called