Melia Cala Galdana

Urb Cala Galdana Cala´n Bosch, Ciutadella, Menorca, 07750, Cala Galdana, Menorca Spain

Good

As fabulous as I remembered!

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"I first visited this hotel 25 years ago and have very fond memories of it. I travelled with my partner and 2 teenage sons. We were not disappointed, the views from the hotel and the beach were lovely.The area is a little more built up now but the hotel itself is away from the small resort area. If you want a busy holiday, this is not the place for you. The beach is lovely and not overly crowded (except at the weekend when the locals come down). The sun beds are expensive, 21 euros per day for 2 beds and a brolly, but you can either treat yourself or lay up underneath the pine trees for free. At the far end of the beach you can hire pedalos with slides or speed boats.
The hotel itself was excellent. Staff were friendly and always helpful (except one receptionist). The food was good although sometimes could have been a bit hotter ,and the main courses were varied.The pool area is quite small but as the hotel is on the beach we rarely went there.
The room was ideal for 2 people, had a fridge and was air conditioned. Tea making facilities would have been nice but we took our own.There was entertainment at the terrace bar every night which was fun if not always excellent. It ranged from tribute bands to chinese acrobats and brazilian dancers. It finished most nights by 11.00pm so you could have an early night if you wanted to or you stil had time to head down to the small resort area. All public areas within the hotel are non smoking except the Terrace Bar which is outside.
My only small critisim was the entertainment for teenagers during the day - it is very limited, the emphasis is on the younger ones.
If you want a relaxing holiday this is a great place. We will certainly go again."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of July 2006

Would not return

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"Cala Galdana is a very pretty bay providing you're looking out to sea! If you look inwards the beach is just full of sunbeds and umbrellas and the very imposing Sol Gavilanes hotel. This is the first time in many many years that we have had a european beach holiday, normally we visit Malaysia or Thailand. The hotel was in a good position right on the beach but we found staff unfriendly and the buffet food a big disappointment - virtually the same every night. We were half board but as we got very bored with the food (only there a week) and so did the children we ate at other resturantes 3 times. We were never shown to a table for dinner or breakfast we always had to find one ourselves and as there were 6 of us it meant putting tables together or taking cutlery from other tables or a few times sitting seperately. we booked our holiday in January but couldn't even get 3 rooms next to each other, we had 2 girls of 14 and 2 boys of 17, not so worried about the boys but would have liked the girls next door. We were told the hotel was very busy and it was not possible. The rooms were quite a reasonable size and clean. No infomation booklet on what happens where etc, no tea or coffee making, but there is a fridge. On check out we were given the bill but there the receptionist never even asked if we had enjoyed our stay - very rude. On the beach you have to pay for sunbeds and umbrellas - 8 euros for the bed and 5 for the brolly that really doesn't provide enough shade. this is per day and you cannot just hire the sunbeds and take them in the shade as the man gets cross. We bought cheap lilos for the kids to lay on under the trees. Beach towels can be hired from the hotel at 10 euros each for the however long you need them. surrounding restaurants aren't brilliant and all have faded pictures for the menus and all do the same food near enough. On a brighter note the sea was clear and warm and the sand soft - just full of people. We visited both cuitidella and mahon and both are lovely, good shops and not all tat.
We have decided to continue with 11 hr flights to further a field were you get far superior service and accomodation for the same money."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of July 2006

Fantastic

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"Having just returned from this lovely hotel I can't praise it enough. It is a beautiful hotel, spotlessly clean, lovely food, picture postcard location.The rooms aren't huge but the three of us managed just fine. My 6 year old son loved the kids club and fell in love with Raquel! The pool area is on the small side but we didn't have any trouble getting beds and the beach is perfect anyway if you miss out. If you want a resort with lots to do then this isn't really the place for you as the resort is very quiet, it was the hotel itself which really made our holiday. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to go back. Enjoy!"

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of July 2006

Great Terrace

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"Room.

Liked
fridge, big enough for three, clean, tv, free safe, balcony no noise from other hotels, very comfortable beds, great showers. Good aircon.

dis-liked
noise from other rooms (poor sound proofing especially in bathroom) no light on balcony, only sky news and bbc world in English.

Public areas
Liked
good fast cheap internet 3 euro for an hours credit. Very fast lifts, handy supermarket on ground floor.

Disliked. Not enough segregation of smoking areas (fortunatley not many smoked)

Food.
Liked, Plenty of it, great choice, excellent waiting staff, very clean, beautiful terrace

Disliked. Some of the fruit was mouldy and some meats undercooked. Chefs on hand to deal with issues though.

Entertainment
Liked
Tomas, veronique and co all looked after the kids and guests very well in fact they were exceptional.
Evening entertainment varied from Cover acts (Queen, abba, Robbie Williams, Kylie, Madonna, Bee gees) to Brazilian dancers and Chinese acrobats.
Mini disco for kids.
A variety of activities which the guests were envouraged but not forced to join in with. Shooting, French bowls, Water polo, archery, darts, water volleyball.
Hire a boat for 55 euro to visit empty beaches, fab.

Disliked
Had to be 5 to join mini club and entertainment started at 9pm with mini disco. Would be nice if it started a bit earlier.
Why not have a kiddy corner near the bar area for kids to play in.

Pool area
Liked
Kiddy pool in shade, bird house to enttertain little ones, No scummy people, enough sun beds if you got up early, lifeguard on hand.

Disliked.
Whoever pinched my kids inflatable (I have put a curse on you)

Overall a really nice place 30 mins from airport, will be going back. Not surprised that so many people re-visit year after year. Most of my criticisms are just me being picky."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of June 2006

Fab setting - Place to go for a relaxing romantic break!

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"My husband & I spent a week at the Sol Gavilanes in early June 06. What can I say it was lovely. A fabulous setting. Hotel great. All staff were very friendly & helpful. Food good - varied but dont think I could do for two weeks! (would run out of clothes as they wouldnt fit anymore) We were on the 4th floor. Didnt have sea view as apartment round side but was ok & could still see across the bay from balcony. We thought wouldnt get the sun but balcony was a sun trap after 4 oclock. Room/towels etc cleaned/changed every day!
Like previous reviewers I feel the only downside of the hotel is the pool area. For the size of the hotel the pool area is too small. On the day we were leaving (at 7.00am) there was an elderly gentleman putting out his towels on the sunbeds! We were up early most mornings but were not able to get a bed (that was a 9.00am) So beware.
Perhaps the hotel feels because beach right on doorstep then no need for big pool! But I would definitely recommend as others have done that you purchase inflatables/umbrellas as far too expensive to hire beds on beach every day (20 euros)! I feel hotel should perhaps take over part of beach & charge customers small fee daily or weekly!
The resort itself was lovely. Not large resort. Lots of young families there with their grandparents too. Amazed at how many! What would we do without grannies & grandpas!
I dont think resort is suitable for teenagers unless you are beach lovers there doesnt appear to be a lot for them to do. We went to Mahon & Cuitadella twice (fabulous place) ourselves on local buses. Hotel can arrange trips to Mahon but only there few hours on market day and costs 16 euros each. Only cost us 13 euros for two on local buses. Was very cheap. But beware unless increase number of buses in high season if you are not at bus stop in plenty of time then theres a good chance you wont get on bus! Watch connections times too or you could end up hanging about at the other end for a while especially when majority of shops close at 1.30pm and dont re-open til 5.00pm. Overall we had a great time and would definitely go back sooner rather than later. Perhaps one day we will be back with our grandchildren too! Enjoy"

• Travel date: Fri 16th of June 2006

Fantastic Holiday!!!!!

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"Just returned home yesterday (12.06.06) from the Sol Gavilanes and cannot praise this hotel and resort highly enough. This was our first visit to Menorca but we are now booking for next year as we absolutely loved it.

The hotel was immaculate, the staff friendly and attentive, the food - varied and tasty. The rooms all have sea views and the view is breathtaking. We were on the 2nd floor but we will be requesting a 6th/7th floor next year as this is where you get the best views. The hotel has 2 restaurants - one indoors and one open terrace - both excellent. It was fantastic to sit out in both the morning sunshine and the evening heat enjoying your meal. The open air restaurant is also where the outdoor entertainment is in the evening so if you time it right you can be settled for the night!!!

Beach towel hire is available (refundable deposit), free fridge and safe in the rooms - which is great. " lines" for washing on the balcony, both a ceiling fan and aircon in the rooms. Soap and shampoo are provided in the bathroom as well as a selection of other free toiletries.

There are 2 pools (one for children) the pool area is alright however in my opinion there is not enough sunbeds etc. This was not too much of a problem as the beach was in front of the hotel. Pricey at approx. 20 euros to hire 2 beds and an umbrella but many people opted for buying a couple of inflatables and a parasol. The beach is beautiful with lovely fine golden sands and clear water.

The resort has many bars and restaurants. There is also the Cala Galdana hotel which has good evening entertainment. There is a resort 'train' which is a good way of seeing round Cala Gladana and there are many fantastic walks through wonderfully set out wooded areas. There is also a beautiful bay about 15 minutes walk from the hotel (go out of the hotel main entrance, turn left at the top and then right at the car park, walk up to the small gate - behind the tree and follow the path). This takes you to the old limestone quarry and the fantastic bay beneath it. This has got to be the most beautiful bay ever. Well worth the walk. Don't go at night as this walk has no lighting along the way.

We travelled with Thomson and only went on one 'highlight'. This was the Mahon and Modas trip - 19 euros each. You are firstly taken to a leather outlet showroom where a fashion show takes place. Everyone is offered a glass of bubbly or fresh orange. This show takes only about 10 minutes and the leather clothing is very nice with prices ranging from about 250 euros to about 800 euros approx. After the show you are ushered into their shop to try on garments. There was a lot of sales people in the room and the doors to the exit were closed. Many of us felt that we should have been told that if we didn't want to try on 'without obligation' we could just go through the doors on the right hand side to leave. The people were nice enough and obviously a very legit company - otherwise Thomson would not have it on the tour but we really believe that doors should be left open for people to leave. They say that the doors have to remain closed so that the aircon works. As I have said the goods are lovely but we were more interested in going shopping in Mahon. That said if you are looking for a new leather coat/jacket/trousers or skirt then this is the place to come.

Overall a fantastic time at both the resort and hotell. We met many people who have been back 3 and 4 times - that says it all for us. Give it a try - you won't be disappointed!!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 12th of June 2006

Wonderful place!

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"This certainly is a 4 star hotel! It's modern, clean with all mod. cons. The views from the rooms are to die for! The rooms are compact - perfect for 2, a strugle for 3 and a no-no for 4 (there are plenty of suites, however). Room cleaning was good - not perfect as sand and hairs weren't totally removed from the floor, but nothing major
The beach is amazing - as clean and white as in the Carribean. We only had breakfast and that was a feast!! There were some lovely places to eat in the evening just outside the hotel, but we hired a car and had dinner in small traditional villages.
Five minutes drive from the hotel there's a riding stables where they have traditional horse shows twice a week - definately a must as they do some amazing things there.
Mahon was lovely and so was Cuitadella. It's worth hiring a boat for a day and going around the island - you'll discover some of the most amazing and secluded beaches. I couldn't believe the colour of the water of some of them!
I travel a lot with work and always stay in 5* hotel, so sometimes it's difficult to accept anything less - Sol Gavilanes didn't disappoint me! Would go back any time"

• Travel date: Thu 29th of December 2005

Best holiday i have ever had!

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"if your looking for a holiday that is safe for children and adults alike, relaxing,Fun in the sum holiday Menorca is the place to go! We got back this year after our 7th time to Menorca, - six of which have been to this hotel.
Every year I go back with my parents, brother and sisters and as soon as we step back into the hotel we are relaxed at home once more, the staff are very friendly and helpful, the food is great with a huge variety and different places to eat, great views. The views of the horseshoe bay are to die for, being able to sit in the restaurant or on the balcony for breakfast or dinner is an amazing experience as it looks like the Caribbean and its only 2 hours away!!
The entertainment is great –“The tribute to the temptations” is amazing and there is a different show on every night for two weeks!!!
Being the oldest of four, we usually go of with different friends and groups of people but on this holiday every year, the same group of people go back, - they are amazing, we have a laugh and the hotel seems to get a real buzz to it feels like a large community, everyone talks to everyone. Its like a second home to me and my family as it is safe enough for my parents to be out or down at the beach and my brother and sisters and I to be up at the pool without them or the other way round. Everyone talks to everyone and everyone gets on so well!! The staffs are up for a laugh too and great with children!! I can ensure that it gets better every year as people become more confident of the place and surroundings and people.
The same members of staff go back to work each year who speak really good english and that’s reassuring to know, as well as the same hotel guests- who all have booked up for next year and personally I can not wait it gets better and better every year. Also, it doesn’t change as some hotels do and its safe! We got a hire car out one year and found out that cala galadana is the prettiest and cleanest part of the island. I can’t wait until next year!"

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of October 2005

Comfortable hotel

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"This is a nice, comfortable hotel with friendly and helpful staff. The views are stunning from the hotel rooms. The rooms, however, tend to be a little small especially if there are three of you. The food is of good quality but a little repetitious. A suggestion would be having a theme night. The pool is very small and there aren't enough sunbeds. A pool bar would be advantageous. The nightly entertainment was very mediocre (in my opinion it was third rate) but the children enjoyed it! (enough said!!). Another niggle would be that there weren't any fresh fruit juices available - I do like a vodka and fresh orange juice and I just couldn't get one here. Well, you can't have it all I suppose.... I wouldn't rush back but I wouldn't discount it either."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of September 2005

great sol gavilanes

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"stayed at the hotel may/june with my wife and two children booked through air tours a room which would accept a cot when we got there the room was good but not for a family of four the cot was situated in the corridoor between the bathroom and door plus we also had a pram in there as well so there was not much room i went down to reception to ask if there were any bigger rooms available they said that was the room which was booked for us and they had nothing more available when i said that i would pay extra to up grade a room suddenley came vacant the room was a corner family room which was ample the point iam making is if anybody was in the same situation in peak season they may not be able to upgrade so if you are booking make sure you ask for a family room or junior suite which look very nice.food was good not much selection of an evening out side restuarant was nice apart from the birds flying around which resulted in bird dropings on the seats hotel was very friendly beach was brill sun beds were a bit pricey well worth buying a air bed and umberella overall a very good hotel will be going back next year"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of July 2005

Lovely Hotel,in superb position, clean throughout, friendly staff....

Reviewed Wed 18th of July 2012

"Good choice of Hotel, hard working friendly staff, great being right in front of beach ,food adequate , except short on potato usage .Only two complaints, for a four star hotel, very wrong dress in evenings in both dining rooms ,smart casual it was not , many people scruffy and wearing borderline beach wear ! Spanish guests very noisy returning to their rooms late at night ! Would not stop us going there again though."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of July 2012

Expectations not met

Reviewed Thu 7th of July 2011

"We have stayed here 3 Times (my Wife and I) Last year we were soimpressed that we booked the same fortnight in June for 2011. The views are fabulous, particularly if on levels 8 and 9 and sea facing. Clean Hotel, Good Staff, Excellent Gym facilities - but we were not so impressed this year and we would not return - so what was different - The Food - we are not fussy on food generally - but the standards have fallen sharply since last year - yes there is alot of choice - but we had some difficulty with the often served Veal and Rabbit dishes - which did not appeal and they subsequently turned up a few days later in a sauce of some sort. Breakfast was adequate - but again very samey with burnt bacon as standard and a very unusual recycled brussel sprouts on one day. The standrad of entertainment was not as good as last year. A positive is the refurbished lounge and bar area - we will be going next year to Menorca - the island is magnificent and the festival in Cieutedella outstanding - but no more Sol Gavilanes for us

• Travel date: Mon 4th of July 2011

Hotels near Melia Cala Galdana

Stayed at Melia Cala Galdana? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Melia Cala Galdana

• fraser13 by fraser13

"Weather, location, beach, village all wonderful "

• fraser13 by fraser13

"Swimming in the beautiful horseshoe bay "

• beach buddies by beach buddies

"Beautiful if you want a relaxing holiday wouldn't suit teenagers "

• Peter by Peter

"Hire a car to enjoy the Island "

• Terry M by Terry M

"take a 20 min walk from hotel one morning to Mitjana beach , wear sensible shoes ! "

Melia Cala Galdana is also called